I own Acid (both of em) but never got around to playing em. Maybe one day... :p

That gameplay footage looks great. A pup with an eyepatch as a companion? Sign me up :D

• 2 months later...

IGN gave it a perfect 10. They also gave ALIEN: Isolation a mediocre 5.9 (should of been a 9.5!) so I'm a little hesitant on believing their score.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/24/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-review?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20%28front%20page%29&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Coverstory

7.8/10 too much water.

This is the end of the great tale according to kojima :(:(:(

That is probably true. But no worries, we live in the age of remakes so we're probably going to hear of an announcement of MGS1 for PS4 soon after the hype on the MGSV dies down. ;)

That is probably true. But no worries, we live in the age of remakes so we're probably going to hear of an announcement of MGS1 for PS4 soon after the hype on the MGSV dies down. ;)

Not unless Kojima buys the franchise from Konami.

Spoiler Alert:

CKo91PaVEAEGQgo.jpg

640px-Snake_hiding_from_st-84.jpg

I noticed that the Metal Gear Sahelanthropus bears quite a bit of similarities to a few variable fighters.

Its ability to assume a more upright form seems quite similar to the Variable Glaug from Macross M3, as well as the VB-6 König Monster.

tumblr_ngo08eaBRG1sn8553o1_500.jpg

vb-6-konig-lineart1.gif

The similarities between the Sahelanthropus and the Variable Glaug are even more so when you consider that both had cockpits that could only fit children at the time; Moaramia in the Variable Glaug and Eli in the Sahelanthropus.

Edited by Devil 505

I know that the metal gear franchise is basically built entirely on and out of illogical crap that doesn't make sense, but why is the metal gear in this game a more advanced looking, TRANSFORMING version of Meta Gear Rex, when Rex wasn't developed until 20 years later chronologically?

Considering "Metal Gears" existed since 1964 during the Cold War, I gave up trying to understand the technological advances in this franchise. Makes you think Otacon was just a dirty plagiariser. Lol.

I made a horrible mistake......2 years ago I bought that legacy HD collection that has all the metal gear games....cause honestly I hadn't played the series since the PS1 era. I picked up Phantom Pain and TOTALLY forgot to get Ground Zeroes as I hadn't touched it. Worse off, totally lost on all of this crap. I took on WAY to much game didn't I?

Stop, download Ground Zeroes, play the GZ mission, and if yiu're still bot comfortable, play the other Ground Zeroes side missions. That should be enough to get you used to the newer gameplay in a nice set area (Camp Omega).

I'm gonna assume you played Peace Walker in that HD collection, 'cus if you didn't, you're missing A LOT of story.

Edited by Keith

Stop, download Ground Zeroes, play the GZ mission, and if yiu're still bot comfortable, play the other Ground Zeroes side missions. That should be enough to get you used to the newer gameplay in a nice set area (Camp Omega).

I'm gonna assume you played Peace Walker in that HD collection, 'cus if you didn't, you're missing A LOT of story.

Just barely started playing snake eater. I'm trying to go chronologically in order which seems to be snake eater, peace walker, MGS 1 and then 2 thus far. But I also got a second disc full of other MGS games as well including the old Nintendo versions.

Considering "Metal Gears" existed since 1964 during the Cold War, I gave up trying to understand the technological advances in this franchise. Makes you think Otacon was just a dirty plagiariser. Lol.

Interesting how they went from this veritech like Metal Gear to the TX-55. This basically. I actually gave up trying to understand the technology with RAY and even how that thing could stand up on the stubs it called feet. REX actually seems technically feasible by comparison.

Just barely started playing snake eater. I'm trying to go chronologically in order which seems to be snake eater, peace walker, MGS 1 and then 2 thus far. But I also got a second disc full of other MGS games as well including the old Nintendo versions.

That works. Be patient with Peace Walker, starts off slow, and doesn't get good until a coiple hours in.

I'm reading the story is more of a mess than usual, the ending is flat out bad, cutting the story short, but the gameplay is bloody brilliant and more than worth the price of admission. Might pick this up later this month.

I'm only 30 something percent into the game but so far the story has been pretty decent. My biggest gripe would be that some of the story is stashed in the cassettes so you need to stop every now and then to listen to a bit of story. Gameplay is bloody brilliant and you should get the game!

I want to like it. The first level coming out of the coma was awesome. That felt like Metal Gear. Then I started to go on some missions.

The controls are so hard to control. MGS4 seem easier to play. Is there a way to fire from cover? I can't figure it out. Why is aiming so bad. I guess you can play online but I can't find an option. When I turn the game it does says failed to connect. Everything is open world like GTA but everyone I meet wants to kill me. The only neutral characters are the animals. Can't explore the world when everyone is a threat. Where are cut scenes that tells you what the bleep is going on.

I want to like it. The first level coming out of the coma was awesome. That felt like Metal Gear. Then I started to go on some missions.

The controls are so hard to control. MGS4 seem easier to play. Is there a way to fire from cover? I can't figure it out. Why is aiming so bad. I guess you can play online but I can't find an option. When I turn the game it does says failed to connect. Everything is open world like GTA but everyone I meet wants to kill me. The only neutral characters are the animals. Can't explore the world when everyone is a threat. Where are cut scenes that tells you what the bleep is going on.

The gunplay is actually pretty close to MGS4, some of the biggest changes are the aiming reticles and item selection. For some reason they decided to have different reticles on each class of gun ( T for the pistols, 3 lines for smgs, etc.) unlike the circle in MGS4. They changed this in PW and it can take a little bit to get used to. You can still go into first person view by pressing r1 while aiming.

Item selection was switched to a PW type system as well, press and hold the the d pad up for main weapons, right for throw able items, down for secondary weapons and left for support items. From there you can use the right analogue stick to select the item you want. For quick select just tap the d pad. Another trick is while you are aiming with a weapon press square to quick change from primary to secondary.

You can fire from cover, but only around corners I think. Just stick to the wall and aim.

Something that could be throwing off your aim is the auto aim, it's on by default. Just go into options and turn it off.

MGO and the FOB system are the online components of MGSV. Currently MGO is still being worked on and will come out in October I think. FOB is currently up and lets you go attack other peoples bases (kinda like dark souls invasions). This gets unlocked on mission 22.

The online connection in this game keeps disconnecting for me too, dunno whats up with that.

Not all animals are passive, beware the bear!

You are infiltrating Afghanistan during the Russian occupation so yeah everyone wants you dead, that said you don't have to get into conflicts with them. There are plenty of ways to get around road outposts such as don't travel the roads and only operating at night till you get a hang of things. Another good way to get around outposts is to use your horse, when you see some soldiers at a checkpoint press x and snake will duck behind his horse. As long as you aren't galloping the soldiers won't care about a horse wandering around.

I haven't beat the game yet but so far it is light on the cutscenes, usually you get them after beating a few main missions. If you want some more story check out your cassettes in the i droid, plenty of stuff in there.

To get a good grasp of the gameplay play mission 3 A Heroes Way a few times, its a nice easy infiltration that can be played a few different ways.

Hopefully this buncha text helped ya out, if you have any other questions send me a message and I'll try to help out.

To second the above post, definitely check the cassettes. Found myself devoting 15-20 minutes listening to the ones I missed. Only about 10% into the game so far enjoying quite abit. It's basically everything I wanted out of MGS3 and 4 in terms of scope and flexibility. Got abit of a chuckle from some of the weapon name changes, like Honey Bee in place of Stinger.

Edited by Shadow

Interesting how they went from this veritech like Metal Gear to the TX-55. This basically. I actually gave up trying to understand the technology with RAY and even how that thing could stand up on the stubs it called feet. REX actually seems technically feasible by comparison.

After MGS1, everything started becoming trippier. Advances in cyborg and nanotechnology advanced to the point where we get more "organic" robots like the Ray and the Geckos (which seemed like some vile offspring made from an unholy union between the Rex and Ray).

I'm sad to hear that the ending of this game is crap. Was hoping for something epic like Snake Eater. :(

We may still get the epic ending as DLC, I'm holding out hope. I've been playing since release, and am only about 20+%, as I am combing over all things, and doing every side op. It's the perfect mix of 4 & PW, doubt I could have asked for more.

We may still get the epic ending as DLC, I'm holding out hope. I've been playing since release, and am only about 20+%, as I am combing over all things, and doing every side op. It's the perfect mix of 4 & PW, doubt I could have asked for more.

I've avoided all spoilers, but it certainly sounds like there's a chunk of the game being held back for DLC. Total conjecture on that, but from what I've been hearing it's a real "WTF, that's it?" sorta deal. No resolution and no ending really. The game just stops.