Hideo Kojima explains Phantom Pain fake-out, why David Hayter isn't in Metal Gear Solid 5

Kojima confirmed that Snake will be voiced by someone new, rather than the David Hayter as usual. "It will be a new person, I can't say who yet," he said. "What we're trying to accomplish is to recreate the Metal Gear series. It's a new type of Metal Gear game, and we want to have this reflected in the voice actor as well."

Apparently this change doesn't apply to Japan, as they have announced that Otsuka will be once again voicing Big Boss in MGSV. What a crock of crap. This has totally ruined my excitement for this game.

So Hayter loses his job but Otsuka keeps his, strange and a bit disappointing. Maybe Quinton Flynn will get the job, he was just practicing his grumbling angry guy voice in MGR.

LOL

I shivered a little in that first seen with Raiden in MGR when he says "Let's get this over with"

So Hayter loses his job but Otsuka keeps his, strange and a bit disappointing. Maybe Quinton Flynn will get the job, he was just practicing his grumbling angry guy voice in MGR.

Hopefully one of these gaming press types will call out Kojima on his "reasoning."

Edited by Duke Togo

I do hope Kojima gets called out on the JP voice acting. Despite that, I'm still really interested in seeing what's in-store for this game and story. It's seems like Kojima is going all out with this one. Hopefully, they do what they did with MGS2 and just divide the game into two sections. I don't want to have to buy two separate games that are basically one.

We're talking two seperate $60 games here marketed as one title? If that's the case, then no thank you.

This is just my two cents and in no way official: while they've announced them to be seperate games, they are not commenting on how they will be released. My theory--Ground Zeroes will be DLC for MGSV.

Depends on how much content we're getting. I'm ok with two separate games if we get a lot of content in each game to make it worthwhile.

Edited by xrentonx

It's possible that Ground Zeroes could be like MGO. Phantom pain could be the actual game, which is traditionally linear, then we have Ground Zeroes as a separate install included in the disc-Ground Zeroes will probably work as the prologue thing, along with the open world sandbox stuff.

It's possible that Ground Zeroes could be like MGO. Phantom pain could be the actual game, which is traditionally linear, then we have Ground Zeroes as a separate install included in the disc-Ground Zeroes will probably work as the prologue thing, along with the open world sandbox stuff.

But why not say so? Unless they plan to sell it as DLC...

Oh man, Kojima and Hayter are trolling us HARD. I'm convinced now. Hayter even makes sure to date this thing "April 1" at the end of it.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjhhf9

METAL GEAR V

By

David Hayter

So,

Here’s a recap of events:

I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first
film, (WOLVES -- 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break, I came
home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording
sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn’t hear anything about whether I’d be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got
together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn’t be needing me" on
this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire
its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it
all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men
burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you’re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of
worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake
to be. Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually
sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the
increasingly real environments in which Snake found himself. My level
of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for
lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort
into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad
emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it’s been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.

If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone
else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill,
to be honest.

But the truth is -- it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions
are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s
fair.

And I’ll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn’t want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013

This is how I think this plays out: Hayter does Big Boss in Ground Zeroes, then a new voice actor takes over in The Phantom Pain (9 years and a coma later). This sets up the franchise for Big Boss and Solid Snake appearing in the same game. Note: Hayter has, as of April 1, not addressed a single remark or question regarding Ground Zeroes.

• 2 months later...

Sutherland huh... it should be interesting to see if he's going to be copying Hayter's established voice or making a new one from scratch. Hayter's also in his mid 40's so I still can't see why they didn't use him, maybe he just can't make silly faces for the dots like Sutherland.

I'm just hoping for him to try and act a bit instead of listening to him drone off some lines with no emotion. Did we hear Sutherland as snake already, I don't recall hearing it?

If he sounds anything like the voice-acting he did for Ross Syllabus from Armitage III, it's going to be painful to hear.

Edited by GU-11

Guest davidwhangchoi

So Hayter may be doing MGS after all? I just can't believe the timing of his twitter rants as well as showing up to E3 as coincidence...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

So Hayter may be doing MGS after all? I just can't believe the timing of his twitter rants as well as showing up to E3 as coincidence...

Very, very unlikely at this point. Even for Kojima, this would be taking it too far. Sutherland is Big Boss.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Very, very unlikely at this point. Even for Kojima, this would be taking it too far. Sutherland is Big Boss.

you think solid snake will be a surprise show? it's set in 84' and it'll make sense to have different voices for each

That way Jack Bauer can play Big Boss and Hayter come in as Solid Snake...

Anyways, i'm still holding out... until E3 is over. but i guess i need to buy it anyways.