STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

Monkeyface Leia's got some competition now!

So glad I never got into Hasbro's 6-inch line.

Wake me when the well-articulated 3.75" figure line comes back. <_<

Same here, not interested in the 6", as for the 3.75" sadly not. Hasbro seems to focus on the 5 points articulation 3.75" action figures, with upcoming Rogue One line :

http://news.toyark.com/2016/07/22/sdcc-2016-hasbro-star-wars-rogue-one-3-75-inch-diorama-214956

http://news.toyark.com/2016/07/22/sdcc-2016-hasbro-star-wars-3-75-inch-scale-display-update-214984

post-21587-0-41782200-1469239561_thumb.jpegpost-21587-0-19453600-1469239572_thumb.jpegpost-21587-0-76320400-1469239580_thumb.jpegpost-21587-0-30846100-1469239591_thumb.jpegpost-21587-0-55145700-1469239600_thumb.jpegpost-21587-0-18128200-1469240713_thumb.jpeg

The only 6" Black Series figures I have are Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper, Biker Scout with Speederbike, Tie Fighter Pilot, Shadow Squadron, Boba Fett, and Prototype Armor Boba Fett. I think I'll get that Royal Guard and Snowtrooper.

Edited by sh9000

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, interceptors got delivered this morning, and I've already snapped them together, A-wings just arrived, so I'll dig into them soon too.

Interceptor kits are almost identical to the normal Ties with different wing assemblies, but there are a few small differences in detail. I was half expecting them to mold the entire panels in one go again like they did for Vader's Tie, but nope, these are assembled out of a framework and panels, more like the normal Tie kits. Little more complicated, and a few minor seams, but you don't have to paint over the multi colored sprue marks like on Vader's.

The feature I really do like though is that they've included an alternate stand mounting adapter. It's a simple hex mount that'll let you plug the stand into the rear of the ball, rather than directly underneath, and the ships just look much more natural mounted that way. The mount works exactly the same for the older Tie kits, so now I'm wondering if I can shapeways myself some copies of that new adapter to use with those kits now.

Edit: Update #2, put together one of the A-wings, and it's a beautiful little kit. :)

I'm calling complete shenanigans on the scale though. That old "9.6m" number for the length? No way is that even remotely close. The numbers work out for the kit to be the proper length, but the pilot is scaled somewhere between 1/48th and 1/60th. He absolutely dwarfs the 1/72 X-wing pilots.

I just think no one actually ever bothered to correctly scale the ship in the first place, so it's a little late at this point.

Also, yes, the turret is clearly intended to go with something in a much smaller scale. To be around 1/72nd, the actual turret part of the gun tower should have been the full size of the baseplate it's mounted on. Still nicely detailed, but it looks quite silly next to the ship kits.

Edited by Chronocidal

The thing that totally excited me was the addition of ENGLISH translations for the A-Wing and Tie Interceptor! Not that there was ever much need, but bravo Bandai for the change!!! Meaning they KNOW Americans are buying these kits over the CRAPTASTIC Revell kits that are for sale here! I just looked at some at Hobby Lobby today and OMG....ick!!! The Tie Interceptor is a definite improvement over the Vader Tie in ease of painting the solar panels!!!

I'm kinda perfectly okay with that, if it means we get some decent updated releases of stuff like the large X-wing mold. I'm waiting for them to rework the wings to not sag horribly.

Though it's not like I have room for more X-wings anyway.. :p

Until someone else comes up with something better though, I'm probably going to remember that new tie as the "Tie Flappy Bird."

Edited by Chronocidal

So, just out of curiosity, I checked the scale on the old figure-scaled A-wing.. the pilot in that looks about the same scale as the filming model, just based on how big the pilot's head is compared to the canopy...

According to that, assuming a 6 foot pilot, the A-wing is only 20 feet long. That would make an actual 1/72 scale kit only 3 and 1/3 inches long. :lol: I can see why they bumped up the size on it.

Which.. going by the 20 foot length estimate... actually makes the "1/72" A-wing kit about 1/45th. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal