What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

What is gurren lagann childhood's end? Is that what they call Gurren-hen in the states?

Wait for Lagann-hen the first movie is pretty much the same as the series until the last 10-15 min.

Edit:

Started to watch SDFM dub.

Along with Pumpkin Siccors and Bridy the mighty decode (series).

Edit mk2:

SDFM dub makes me want to hit someone.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Wait for Lagann-hen the first movie is pretty much the same as the series until the last 10-15 min.

Already did few months ago. XD

Finished B Gata H Kei....i wouldn't recommend it to anyone but its sad that it has way better production values than Kiss X Sis.

First big AX announcement, K-On season one, both bluray & DVD. And Also, Childhoods End was always the subtitle for the first movie.

Edited by Keith

Went on a total Gankutsuo marathon and finished it like 20 minutes ago.

Best adaptation of the Count of Montecristo I've seen. Top quality production all round. Gonzo really went all out on this one.

After some weeks of pause, I finally came back to anime yesterday and watched the first five eps of Gundam 00 (season 2): a good start IMO

New anime of the season:

Amagami SS: romantic highschool comedy....if you liked kimikiss pure rouge, this one's for you. Impressive animation.

Black Lagoon : Roberta's Blood Trail : w00ts... :ph34r: killer maid(s)!

Highschool of the Dead 1st Episode was cool. If you're into Zombies and fan service (T&A), this series is for you ;-)

Ah... I looked into the manga version of that one a while back and thought it was fairly well executed for a zombie apocalypse story. I'd imagine that, as with the manga, it all falls rather flat if you're not really into the whole zombie thing. If they stay true to the source material, there'll be plenty of fanservice and the occasional bout of female cast members being "almost raped". Not really my bag, but if they aped the style of the manga it will be a very stylish zombie apocalypse, if nothing else.

At the behest of Talos and his girlfriend, I'm wading through the first season of You're Under Arrest!, which has thus far proven rather less entertaining than I'd been led to believe. The animation quality takes an abrupt and unexplained nosedive right after episode 4 (which I was told later was because episodes 1-4 were an OVA and as such had a higher budget) which hinders enjoyment a bit. The show's cast is endearing enough (excluding Yoriko and Nakajima), but at some 31 episodes in I have to say that it feels like the writers ran out of ideas early on and resolved to just keep re-using the same four or five plots with different characters each time.

I've also started watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in the lulls between meetings at work via Hulu, and found it to be surprisingly enjoyable. IMHO, it blows the original series into the weeds in terms of quality and makes itself much easier on the viewer by brooming Ed and Al's Shinji-esque long bouts of whining in favor of moving the plot ahead.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

New anime of the season:

Amagami SS: romantic highschool comedy....if you liked kimikiss pure rouge, this one's for you. Impressive animation.

Black Lagoon : Roberta's Blood Trail : w00ts... :ph34r: killer maid(s)!

Watching this anime too!!!! :D AWESOME KILLERMAIDS!!! :ph34r:

After some weeks of pause, I finally came back to anime yesterday and watched the first five eps of Gundam 00 (season 2): a good start IMO

Keep going! My opinion might not reflect the majority, but I loved the 2nd season as much as the 1st. Some of the bst mecha eye-candy I've seen to date.

I've just started watching STRAIN, first episode shows promise. I like it when I think a show is going to go in one direction and then does a 180 before the end of the first episode.

STRAIN gets better too....until 3 episodes in you realise, this show is whacked out weird as if its directed by 1 brilliant director then replaced by 10 other imbeciles. There's random fanservice thrown in too out of nowhere.

Its too bad because STRAIN had alot of promise only to fail miserably.

In other news....watched 1s episode of Highschool of The Dead. Not sure how the story is going to pan out but basically Japan has a zombie apocalypse and this guy and girl is stranded in a school fighting for their lives. Zombies, Gore, blood, action and panties. What's there not to like?

STRAIN gets better too....until 3 episodes in you realise, this show is whacked out weird as if its directed by 1 brilliant director then replaced by 10 other imbeciles. There's random fanservice thrown in too out of nowhere.

Its too bad because STRAIN had alot of promise only to fail miserably.

The first disk has 7 episodes on it, so I'll be able to see just enough to watch it go down the drain. (and thus not waste time with a second DVD if I don't like it).

FMA:B is finally over. Very satisfying epilogue, and it makes far more sense than "The Conquerer of Shambala." And thankfully regardless of how predictable it is {spoiler]Ed & Winry end up together

, probably the stupidest mistake of the last series was that not happening.

Looks like FMA:B is going to get a movie as well.

Just finished marathon'ing through Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. A series I'll always enjoy watching from time to time. If Production IG ever decides to create another series or set of episodes, I'll welcome it.

I'm not too enthusiastic with this season's lineup, though I am looking forward to Black Rock Shooter and a couple of other OVAs.

Watching Ookami-san and the Seven Companions currently. It's about a school club running a "bank" and it follows a Taiga-lookalike and a guy who can't stand being looked at. I half-expected the famous tsundere VA to reprise her role again :p

Another interesting tidbit is that May'n is singing the opening theme :o

From what I've read it's basically Fanservice of the Dead.

Well, the original creator is a hentai artist.

Edited by shiroikaze

Nothing in the summer season really appeals to me on first glance except Cat poo One. I'll wait and see what the surprise hit will be but can't spot right away.

Other anime: I've marathoned Birdy the Mighty Decode seasons one and two. Was a lot better then I expected based on the rather silly concept. Fan service and otaku themes were kept within bounds and the superhero type story was given a nice twist. Occasionally the animation quality dropped a bit but that is fairly common for A1 productions.

"Working" will be the next project on the list.

The finale for 00 was too ridiculous though. I preferred the 1s season when everyone didn't have GN drives yet.

As opposed to a Giant Gold Mobile-Armor with 7 or 8 of them? Nah... Season 2 was good, and right up there with Season 1! ;)

As opposed to a Giant Gold Mobile-Armor with 7 or 8 of them? Nah... Season 2 was good, and right up there with Season 1! ;)

I was referring more to the ridiculous suicide trans-am torpedoes actually.

Just finished marathon'ing through Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. A series I'll always enjoy watching from time to time. If Production IG ever decides to create another series or set of episodes, I'll welcome it.

GITS SAC is one of the best series of the last 10 years. It's a real shame that it seems that no further installments are planned after Solid State Society.

My thoughts exactly: I finished it yesterday and I was hooked. A great ending totally faithful to 0079 in the idea but far more actual on the "scientific" side than Seed was a few years ago – and as long as quantum physics are not very well known by current scientists

Can't wait to see the movie of this autumn

At the behest of Talos and his girlfriend, I'm wading through the first season of You're Under Arrest!, which has thus far proven rather less entertaining than I'd been led to believe. The animation quality takes an abrupt and unexplained nosedive right after episode 4 (which I was told later was because episodes 1-4 were an OVA and as such had a higher budget) which hinders enjoyment a bit. The show's cast is endearing enough (excluding Yoriko and Nakajima), but at some 31 episodes in I have to say that it feels like the writers ran out of ideas early on and resolved to just keep re-using the same four or five plots with different characters each time.

I actually liked the second season and the Live action version as well ( a pity Aoi isn't in the LA). I don't want to steer you wrong because they're still probably what you would consider repetitive but at least I didn't notice any nosedives in quality in either of them.

Anyone else get either of the new(er) Gundam movie boxsets? Original or Zeta?

Highschool of the Dead 1st Episode was cool. If you're into Zombies and fan service (T&A), this series is for you ;-)

Just watched the raw of the first ep (first that finished downloading), and oh man that was awesome!! The first episode, at least, has that Romero feel, and the zombies are pretty messed up. And at one point, they even used a score somewhat similar to the one in the opening of 28 weeks later, so that contributed to the zombie acopalypse mood. I HAVE TO COMLETE THIS SERIES.

Judging by the 1st episode, definitely a must see for zombie fans. Thanks for the heads-up about this series, gunbuster. :)

FMA:B is finally over. Very satisfying epilogue, and it makes far more sense than "The Conquerer of Shambala." And thankfully regardless of how predictable it is

Ed & Winry end up together

, probably the stupidest mistake of the last series was that not happening.

Yeah, I'm on like episode 51, and it's been a very satisfying series so far... I've had fans of the manga talking my ear off about the way the series really ends for a while, so the ending's not exactly going to come as a surprise, but over 50 episodes in and I've yet to find a bad one.

I actually liked the second season and the Live action version as well ( a pity Aoi isn't in the LA). I don't want to steer you wrong because they're still probably what you would consider repetitive but at least I didn't notice any nosedives in quality in either of them.

Yeah, Talos and his gf are still trying to get me to watch the second season, but I'm pretty uninterested in it... the repetitiveness of season 1 kind of killed it for me, and Yoriko just annoys the piss out of me. Her VA should just stick to non-verbal animal noises in Tenchi Muyo sequels and have done with it.

Now that I've finished with that, I've moved on down my queue... breaking up the mecha and action run with a harem comedy before moving on to L-Gaim.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Things I've watched in past couple of months and weeks:

Round Vernian Vifam

Story/Plot concept was OK, but my suspension of disbelieve wasn't really working

with the things the group of children in this anime where pulling off.

Armored Trooper Votoms: Shining Heresy

Great stuff. Chirico Cuvie doing his thing again. Only disappointed about the sad twist in the story.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I thought the first anime was quite good, but this one is even better. Story, characters, fights, everything fits so well together.

The only gripe I have is the first 15 eps, because if you watched the first anime these are quite similar and thus being a bit boring.

So is the announced movie a recap of the TV anime or something that continues the story?

Edited by lechuck

Just finished Testujin 28 Gou, the 2004 series from the same director as The Night the Earth Stood Still: Giant Robo.

Speaking of which....just started rewatching that again. Still one of the best things to come out Japan's animation industry.

I enjoyed Tetsujin 28, was a bit disappointed that it wasn't nearly as deep as GR, but from what I understand it's a faithful adaptation of the original story, and it was very well done overall.

I still want to find the Tetsuwan Atom remake unedited and undubbed. What they did to the opening sequence in that should be considered a crime against humanity.