Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

Yeah it was a good review man, it would be cool if you added pics. It sounds like it turned out well, I'm just waiting to hear if Hasbro will be bringing this sucker over, news of that is usually saved for Botcon which is in 2 months.

Cool, Please let us know. If they do, hopefully it won't be a hard to find exclusive like SS was. I was fortunate enough to find one, but I really don't want to go through the search process again. Too much driving!!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Thanks for the review, Alex! I'm really excited for mine to arrive - hopefully on Monday. I know I'm probably in the minority but I really love oddball accessories like the bowtie, apron and drinks. He'll probably be sporting those far more often than his weapons. :D

I thought I saw a picture of the sword or gun being stowed in the 'energon chamber' on the back of dino mode. The person might have just rested it there though.

Thanks for the review, Alex! I'm really excited for mine to arrive - hopefully on Monday. I know I'm probably in the minority but I really love oddball accessories like the bowtie, apron and drinks. He'll probably be sporting those far more often than his weapons. :D

The goofy waiter getup is what finally convinced me to get Grimlock :lol:

HLJ shipped mine this morning, can’t wait to get it.

Yesterday I received my MP Prime. Truly a beautiful (and heavy) thing to hold. All the detail with the working pistons is amazing. The articulations is great (a pity the elbows aren't double jointed) and the transformation is very fun.

I still find THS Prime to be my favourite Optimus but the MP really is a must have. Now I feel like I need a Mp Megatron :wacko:

The goofy waiter getup is what finally convinced me to get Grimlock :lol:

HLJ shipped mine this morning, can’t wait to get it.

Yesterday I received my MP Prime. Truly a beautiful (and heavy) thing to hold. All the detail with the working pistons is amazing. The articulations is great (a pity the elbows aren't double jointed) and the transformation is very fun.

I still find THS Prime to be my favourite Optimus but the MP really is a must have. Now I feel like I need a Mp Megatron :wacko:

If you're getting MP Megatron -awesome figure, by the way- I also recommend his accessory kit. The two leg armor pieces that come with it are die cast. They replace his existing plastic armor and give him quite a bit of heft. Of course, MP Optimus still greatly outweighs him.

Just picked up Ratchet and Hot Shot. Was debating waiting for the Henkei Hot Shot since it has the 2 guns, then decided not to because it would cost double or more, and I have the Energon Star Saber somewhere around here for him to use instead.

I think I've read that Hot Shot has non-standard fist holes and ironically can *not* hold a Star Saber.

I think I've read that Hot Shot has non-standard fist holes and ironically can *not* hold a Star Saber.

Eh....damn.. that sucks! To be honest the figure is disappointing to the point where I doubt the Henkei guns would have made me feel any better. Articulation is great but loose in the legs, hindered on the arms. You could cross the back kibble in certain ways, like making an "x", or turning each panel 180 and making an "x", this kills off the hindrance to articulation but it doesn't look good. The most straight forward way is to leave it as is in the instructions, and tilt the panels back from the top at an angle, but the buttom parts may interfere with arm articulation still.

... Anyways Hot Shot has back kibble that hinders shoulder movement significantly, the instructions don't really show what to do with it. Jolt does not attach very securely. The leg articulation is good, but the swivels are loose.

Overall the detail is good, and the toy looks a ton better then the original Hot Shot figure from Armada, and is much more articulated, However the chest cavity is hollow, and does not secure well to shoulder plates, and overall the kibble on the back is very annoying, has anyone found a way to get around this? ...

I agree, Hot Shot's back kibble is annoying and I think if your read the review on Tformers.com for him, the reviewer tells you how to remove the back kibble pieces entirely from the main body.

I agree, Hot Shot's back kibble is annoying and I think if your read the review on Tformers.com for him, the reviewer tells you how to remove the back kibble pieces entirely from the main body.
It's easy you just pull them off. It's a disappointing figure. It is a huge improvement over the original figure but compared to it's Classics counterparts, it could have been so much better. It's a better figure than Classics Galvatron though.

Naw, triple changer ultra as Eric Siebenaler originally designed it to be.

I will throw out my Classics Galvatron right now if it meant I could have an Ultra.

Hey, a note to Hasbro, if anyone from the company reads this... people are more willing to shell out for Ultras if they're awesome characters like Galvatron than minibots like Powerglide.

Hey, a note to Hasbro, if anyone from the company reads this... people are more willing to shell out for Ultras if they're awesome characters like Galvatron than minibots like Powerglide.

I didn't mind Powerglide being upsized it's the execution of the figure that killed it for me. He, Hot Shot, and Galvatron are the Classics figures I don't really recommend buying. He is unbalanced, the side intakes in jet mode near the nose DESTROY the look, and his huge shoulders/tiny arms in robot mode are not a good combination at all.

I passed on Powerglide mostly due to the screwed up color scheme. The points you brought up further affirm my decision.
I actually didn't mind the colors, I didn't like the Henkei's colors, I actually preferred the Classic version's. The mold is just flawed in a lot of ways, very disappointing.

Not to mention, it's obvious by the instructions that the forward landing gear was supposed to be much longer. The toy has neat things, like having the missle launcher usable in one direction as a launcher, the other as a gun(30mm A-10 gun). The sculpted detail is intricately applied, like the rivets, that's a neat aspect, but overall this is the worst ultra figure in the classics line(maybe Bruticus is worse, who knows, I don't intend to buy him so I wouldn't know).

The best Ultras are Onslaught and Silverbolt. Sturdy, good alt modes, fully articulated robot modes able to balance well, and not compromised in the ways that Powerglide was.

I skipped Powerglide because I didn't like his bot proportions. Too bulky upstairs for my taste. Kind of the same reason I never really liked the original. Sort of bittersweet for me because I love the A-10. Come to think of it, I haven't liked the bot modes on any of the A-10 (or A-10 inspired) Transformers.

I skipped Powerglide because I didn't like his bot proportions. Too bulky upstairs for my taste. Kind of the same reason I never really liked the original. Sort of bittersweet for me because I love the A-10. Come to think of it, I haven't liked the bot modes on any of the A-10 (or A-10 inspired) Transformers.
Gobots had a decent Warthog bot. No hands on him, though. Bad Boy...

alliance4overcast.jpg

Is Overcast an F-15 in this panel from Alliance issue 3? His toy was a redeco of Movie Dreadwing, that MiG-29-looking plane with the stubby legs.

I will throw out my Classics Galvatron right now if it meant I could have an Ultra.

What's funny is, according to what the TakaraTomy Henkei designers said, apparently both Hasbro and TakaraTomy wanted Powerglide to be big because he was an A-10.

Just in yesterday.............

3391938463_9f34749735.jpg

The wierd thing is that I can totally see Yotsuba LETTING Grimlock do that..."can you carry me around in your jaw like a dead baby?"

It just seems like something she would do :)

Nice pic

Pete

Got Grimlock today and he is one spectacularly awesome beast. Really, really high quality finish on this guy. I haven't been this impressed with the overall fit and finish of a Transformer in a long time. He truly feels like he's worth the price to me, and in my hands he feels exactly the right size. Love, love LOVE the apron, bowtie and drinks. He looks so stupidly awesome in that getup. I think the only thing I would change would be the sword. I don't really have a problem with the sword, but I would have skipped the electronics in favor of a silver chromed sword with a sculpted hilt that he could hold in an articulated hand. But even still he does have one articulated hand and I do have all kinds of chrome swords lying around from other bots, so it's no biggie.

I know a lot of people are disappointed in the diecast content but I'm actually glad they didn't use more diecast on him. I can't really think of any place that he would have benefited from having more metal. And to put it in perspective I'm pretty sure what diecast Grimmy has is more than the seekers and Megatron, so...

Has the gimmick for raising and lowering the head been mentioned? I noticed that it was missed out in the Reviews by Peaugh and the others i've seen.

Pushing down on the legs in Dino-mode raises the head and repeating it lowers the head.

And is it just me or are these head gimmicks all really, really, underwhelming.

Edited by Alex

Could you explain the mechanism a bit more? Pushing down on the legs as in making them contract? Or pushing down as in making it walk more horizontal vs upright? If it's the latter, I wonder if it's not based on a Zoid Genosaurer mechanism.

Could you explain the mechanism a bit more? Pushing down on the legs as in making them contract? Or pushing down as in making it walk more horizontal vs upright? If it's the latter, I wonder if it's not based on a Zoid Genosaurer mechanism.

When you push his body down the hips/shoulders activate a mechanism is his neck that makes his head look up. Release the pressure and it looks back down. You can also hold him and do it by pushing up on the bottom of his feet.

I think it's pretty cool. There is also a button on the side of his head that will snap his jaws shut when they are open. I don't mind the head gimmicks. I wouldn't say that particularly excite me, but I don't feel strongly enough about them to call them underwhelming, either. I like that Takara tried to add a little extra personality. I do wish the button had been able to open and close his mouth though, like Animated Grimlock. That way you could make him 'talk' when he's taking drink orders from your friends. :)

Edited by eriku

I just got my GT-R Convoy, he's pretty neat, I'm glad a Nissan figure finally came out after soooooooo long. I took one of the reprolabel stickers and put on a tiny lil silver autobot logo on the front left side of the bumper...almost put it on the side panels that become his shoulders but thought that would be a lil too tacky. Course this was before I noticed the autobot logo on his pelvis.

When you push his body down the hips/shoulders activate a mechanism is his neck that makes his head look up. Release the pressure and it looks back down. You can also hold him and do it by pushing up on the bottom of his feet.

Thanks for explaining for me. Been away from the computer.

All in all, i'd reeeally rather have had a ratcheted neck in plaxe of the "shake one's head" gimmick. Can't stand it.

Yeah, but how are you supposed to get Ratchets into that neck?

Besides - G1 Grimlock in the cartoon/comics didn't have a ratcheted neck but had...what we see here. I like it.

The non-poseable fingers are a bit of a put off - but I guess if the alternative was to have him unable to hold his sword, then it's a trade-off I can live with. "Flopy sword holding Grimlock" would suck.

This way he can be powerful and mean.

Pete