Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

They seem to be the same design with a few cosmetic differences.

The molds themselves are actually heavily retooled. Battle Begins Prime is more of a G1 Prime in animated style than an earth mode animated Prime.

And as much as people say Cybertronian Prime is the best Deluxe, I'm gonna have to pass on that. Will most likely get the Voyager one instead, despite it not being perfect.

The voyager Prime's articulation and range of motion is inferior to the deluxe Primes. Joints are not as tight either.

the downside is that it comes with battle damage paint & a lame Megatron.

That Megatron isn't too bad.

Can't be as bad as the Trans-Scanning Bumblebee I picked up last week. The Core Body's hips were extremely loose, so I put a couple coats of clear nail polish on the ball joints. Then, while fixing some poses on it, the ball socket on the right leg cracked.

Ouch. I haven't opened mine yet ... gonna have to check this weekend.

FYI: sale on TFs at Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/browse/Action-Figur...p;catNavId=4172

G1 Optimus Prime 25th Anniversary Set - $41.78

Transformers Animated Action Figures Two-Pack (Prowl & Megatron) - $5.50

Transformers Animated Leader Megatron Earth Mode - $23.98

Transformers Animated Leader Bulkhead - $20.36

Transformers Animated Leader Megatron Earth Mode - $23.98

Transformers Animated Leader Bulkhead - $20.36

Both are worth getting at those prices. Animated Leader Megatron is one of the best Megatron figures ever made, and at that price, Leader Bulkhead is little over the price of voyager Bulkhead, hell at Walmart's current voyager prices, he may even be cheaper.

Both are worth getting at those prices. Animated Leader Megatron is one of the best Megatron figures ever made, and at that price, Leader Bulkhead is little over the price of voyager Bulkhead, hell at Walmart's current voyager prices, he may even be cheaper.

Dammit!

I want to not shop at WalMart, but I've been drooling over Megatron forever.

jazz15.jpg

Excellent figure, all the way around.

Sad that Animated is going away; for me, it was the answer to everything wrong with the live action movie, and I liked the toys better, despite their cartoony look. I, too, hope we get a few more third season toys, and that the Arcee toy is not cancelled. Dear God, I hope Animated is not replaced with a live action movie based animated show. A Universe Classics show would be cool.

Dear God, I hope Animated is not replaced with a live action movie based animated show. A Universe Classics show would be cool.

As long as it has American/western writers, we should be ok with any show.

Found Samurai Prowl and Waspinator yesterday, got great things to say about them.

Samurai Prowl takes the awesomest deluxe in this line... and makes it awesomer. Though I was a little disappointed they took the prototype and altered it for the released version - this toy has just the wheel-sword, where the proto had a wheel that separated into a sword and shield combo (and is even shown on the packaging!). I was also a little disappointed they took away the unfolding shuriken, though you can still take the... hockey puck things out of his knees and think of them as hologram generators or something. All things said, the figure retains everything I loved most about the original and gives it extra goodies, and they also fixed the hip design that could sometimes pop out, replacing the 90-degree ball socket thing with a traditional ball joint and swivel. I bought two.

Waspinator is cool, albeit simple, and the toy has a lot of character which makes for a huge variety of entertaining display poses.

post-5048-1235930134_thumb.jpg

Excellent figure, all the way around.

Sad that Animated is going away; for me, it was the answer to everything wrong with the live action movie, and I liked the toys better, despite their cartoony look. I, too, hope we get a few more third season toys, and that the Arcee toy is not cancelled. Dear God, I hope Animated is not replaced with a live action movie based animated show. A Universe Classics show would be cool.

He's pretty awesome! I was gonna buy him but instead my nephew gave me his. For some reason he doesn't like Jazz :o .

Over at TFW2005 they are talking about a voyager animated Blackout and other stuff. Hope it doesn't get cancelled too.

And I just though of something: No more animated means no animated Constructicons... not getting a toy version of at least Mixmaster would be a real shame.

Over at TFW2005 they are talking about a voyager animated Blackout and other stuff. Hope it doesn't get cancelled too.

The more I read about it seems more like releases are being delayed either to coincide with the movie release. That, or they're just slowing their release schedule; without future seasons of the show they won't have have a long line of new characters to exploit.

sigh, I don't get it. The one toyline and cartoon series that's actually good and they scrap it. Why didn't they scrap armada or energon? those series sucked IMO. I like animated more because it pays more homage to G1 than any other crap they put out there. They better release arcee at least before they bite the dust. :angry:

Sigh... I was kinda hoping the line would continue so they would make a supreme-sized Omega Supreme and the Constructicons.

I still can't find Universe Inferno anywhere. I'm getting pretty frustrated with that.

In brighter news, I found Animated Waspinator. He's a pretty interesting figure, and I can't complain, since I found him at Toys R' Us, which is still charging $9.99 for Deluxes. His alt mode is a little weak, and his transformation isn't much more complicated than pulling the alt mode head down to his chest, turning his back legs into his bot legs, and sticking his front legs together to make arms. But the bot mode's pretty good, with decent poseability, and he's a solid homage to one of the few Beast Wars characters I actually like enough to include with my Classics/Universe figures. Now, to just come up with an internal continuity that works for me...

I still can't find Universe Inferno anywhere. I'm getting pretty frustrated with that.

Yeah I'm having quite a time finding him myself, if I dont find him in the next 2 weeks I'll just buy it off an online store I guess. Poor alternity prime is so small, I can imagine if I bought him I'd be impressed but I just dont feel like dropping $60 on a deluxed size transformer. Does he even have a gun?

Saw a sample of MP Grimlock lastnight. Only got to handle robot mode though.

I wasn't overly impressed but it is a nice representation of the character. It's quite big in robot mode. I don't know why but it felt a lot bigger than MP Convoy. Could be the broad shoulders atc.

If anything I thought the mold wasn't sim ple enough. They've gotten rid of the two halves of the tail hangiung off the lower legs as we've all seen in pics. It does make transforming it a more complicated proicess but it just looks off.

It poses well. Can hold some very nice menacing stances. It also balances quite well on one foot so that gives more options. The ickle dino arms also pose well but felt a little too floppy. I see some nail-polish in this toys future.

Didn't see any of the accessories aside from the gun, which is nicely detailed.

Overall, nice for the money but it kinda felt like any of the other Power-Ranger-esque toys on the shelves.

Edited by Alex

Hey Alex how was the metal content on the MP Grimlock? Did it feel heavy and well balanced or light and unwieldy? Thanks.

Metal content seemed to be very little. It has a nice heft to it, but the sample I held, I couldn't find any large areas of metal (as per MP-01).

The heft.......somewhat like MP Megatron. :mellow:

Edited by Alex

The Walmart Supercenter nearby actually had two. I was surprised, but I didn't bite since I decided I was trying to stick with Animated figures ( if only to keep myself in check.)

And they a decent Animated Deluxe selection..just not any I was looking for... :wacko:

Plenty of Blurr's, BA's and a few Swindel. Even a Cybertronian Optimus - but of course after I broke down and got one of of Ebay (for less than Walmart's price..WITH shipping however.) Nothing beat out last night's trip to a different Walmart in "Hillbillyville", which pretty much only had Deluxe Ratchets..about 20 of them! No love for Granpa-bot, huh?

Additonally- Target has the Animated Deluxe figures on sale this week for $8.99, but not coincidentally the selection was pretty poor.

Edited by Letigre

I'd like to get an Alternity, but I don't want to fork out that much money for something that small, plus it'd have to be red so the odds of me finding one cheap down the line are slim.

HasbroToyShop delivered my Leo Prime today, very fast shipping. Colors are decent. It's definitely a Prime. Lion mode looks ok, if a little obvious how it's going to get to robot mode. Transforming him to robot mode and.....hey....what the? This isn't any more complicated than the Legend Razorclaw figure! I mean, I kind of expected it because it is pretty obvious in lion mode where it's going, but wow, I didn't expect a legend class figure to spoil the transformation that much for a voyager. I just expected another step or two more.

So onto the arm mode aka the "savage claw" mode for Cybertron Prime. The main reason I bought him was as a Prime gimmick for a Prime. It doesn't look like a traditional arm at all, which I knew ahead of time. The arm's pretty gargantuan and monstrous looking, which in a way is kind of cool. The colors don't match up as much as I was expecting. Leo Prime has a dull red whereas Cybertron Prime has a more traditional fire engine red color. It's not bad enough to clash, but I was expecting a better match given the online pics I saw. At least the blues and the grays do match up pretty well. The arm does attach to the shoulder surprisingly well. Silly me initially thought it was going to cover the existing arm somehow. Thankfully there aren't any QC issues.

In summary, it's decent for what I wanted. Without the arm gimmick for an existing Prime, I definitely would have passed. I'm trying to trim my Prime collection down to just trucks/vehicles, so I looked at this more like an accessory than a new figure.

RiD Prime and that Seeker mold were two of the better(if not best) molds from the Titanium line. I personally think that Seeker mold is the closest we'll ever see to an actual cybertron tetrajet. RiD Prime in those Hotspot colors certainly looks sharp. Out of the three, the WW Prime mold is the worst. The colors are worse than the original, and it's one of the lesser Titanium molds as it had lots of QC issues with looseness, especially with the arms which are friction joints for diecast(an unholy combination).

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know if they ever made any toys from the Transformers/GI Joe comic series that was set during World War II? Forget the name of it now (the different TF/GIJoe ones all kind of had interchangeable names, in my opinion), but it was the one with art by Jae Lee, whom I like, but, admittedly, he doesn't really do detailed mechanical drawings.

As much as I love the futuristic designs, I love the older stuff too, like the WWII versions of the TFs, and that older one (again, I forget the name) with Prime as a steam engine...

Also, anyone have images from those? Specifically, I've been trying to find the Bumblebee who transforms into a WWII motorcycle and sidecar.