Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

One of the must for the ROTF line

What about it makes it a "must"? The big chucks of car sticking off his forearms, or the tire feet?

The first movie was kind of fun, but the Bayformer designs are awful.

I finally got a hold of Samurai Prowl, I like how they remolded almost every part, it really shows a lot of thought went into the figure. Just from looking at the pictures I knew there were a few things that I knew I would have to do once I got him. Painting the hands, thigh pads and "ninja stars" were a given, as well as adding the grey accents, and toughing up all of the gold. Once I had it in my hands, I found there were a few things that bugged me enough that I had to do something about them. I did not like how much they had to scale down his head to make the helmet fit, On the back of his left knee there was a small tab of plastic that was keeping his knee from bending all the way that I had to trim off, and I thought the top edge of the windscreen stuck up to far in robot mode. After looking as some screen caps, realized that it is too big in motorcycle mode as well. So I decided to trim it down a bit. I think it looks much better now, and interestingly it is still too big in motorcycle mode. In the cartoon it is cut in a low curving line just like the window on the sidecar, but that would look wrong in robot mode. When I saw 5 servos of Doom I really liked the look of Yokitron's helmet, and decided to see if I could modify the toy to look more like the cartoon. With some careful planning I realized that it would be possible to make a fair representation of the new helmet with some careful trimming and a few scraps of plastic. While I was at it I thought I would try and see it it would be possible to make the helmet fit the older bigger head. Thankfully there IS enough room, and by widening the inside of the helmet, and the opening for his chin, I was able to get it to work! I then swapped the non opening Ninja stars with the working ones from the old one. Now I have one excellent prowl, and one with a gimpy head and cheap ninja stars I can give to my kids.

post-8427-1239309150_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239309203_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239309393_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239309562_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239309770_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=65648:P1010009.JPG]post-8427-1239310095_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239310401_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239310432_thumb.jpg

post-8427-1239309909_thumb.jpg

Edited by J.T. Silversmith

I finally got a hold of Samurai Prowl, I like how they remolded almost every part, it really shows a lot of thought went into the figure. Just from looking at the pictures I knew there were a few things that I knew I would have to do once I got him. Painting the hands, thigh pads and "ninja stars" were a given, as well as adding the grey accents, and toughing up all of the gold. Once I had it in my hands, I found there were a few things that bugged me enough that I had to do something about them. I did not like how much they had to scale down his head to make the helmet fit, On the back of his left knee there was a small tab of plastic that was keeping his knee from bending all the way that I had to trim off, and I thought the top edge of the windscreen stuck up to far in robot mode. After looking as some screen caps, realized that it is too big in motorcycle mode as well. So I decided to trim it down a bit. I think it looks much better now, and interestingly it is still too big in motorcycle mode. In the cartoon it is cut in a low curving line just like the window on the sidecar, but that would look wrong in robot mode. When I saw 5 servos of Doom I really liked the look of Yokitron's helmet, and decided to see if I could modify the toy to look more like the cartoon. With some careful planning I realized that it would be possible to make a fair representation of the new helmet with some careful trimming and a few scraps of plastic. While I was at it I thought I would try and see it it would be possible to make the helmet fit the older bigger head. Thankfully there IS enough room, and by widening the inside of the helmet, and the opening for his chin, I was able to get it to work! I then swapped the non opening Ninja stars with the working ones from the old one. Now I have one excellent prowl, and one with a gimpy head and cheap ninja stars I can give to my kids.

post-8427-1239309150_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239309203_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239309393_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239309562_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239309770_thumb.jpg[atta

c

hment=65648:P1010009.JPG]post-8427-1239310095_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239310401_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1239310432_thumb.jpg

I've been looking for this everywhere, with absolutely no luck. I'm obsessed with transforming bikes, and the old animated Prowl is one of my favorite toys.

Currently, the only mods I've done to Samurai Prowl are taking the old stars and painting black detail on them to match his leg detail. I've been considering moding the helmet to fit the old head, so it's nice to hear that it's possible. I was also dissapointed that the old lights on the back didn't fit the new figure. I see that you painted yours to match but I didn't want to lose the clear plastic effect.

For all us Region 1ers that missed out on Rhino's Transformers DVDs, apparently Shout Factory has the distribution rights now, and Season 1 will be out in June.

They are also apparently releasing a box set of the entire series (all seasons) later this year that will contain more bonus features than what are on the individual seasons.

I've liked Shout! Factory ever since they reissued the Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass catalog a few years back with copious liner notes, added photos and extra tracks. :)

Edited by eriku

They are also apparently releasing a box set of the entire series (all seasons) later this year that will contain more bonus features than what are on the individual seasons.

I've liked Shout! Factory ever since they reissued the Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass catalog a few years back with copious liner notes, added photos and extra tracks. :)

Oh really? I might have to hold out for that instead...

The proposed date for the series set is the end of summer or something like that. I'm going to wait and get the whole shebang.

it would be nice if the whole shebang was release on Blu-ray, but I won't hold my breath.

Sideswipe isn't bad. But he's too "bad ass" for my taste. It was enough that they made ONE character who looked like a flaming stereotypical badass just by virtue of looking at him - namely Hotrod. But I generally don't like TFs whose character revolves around "I'm so slick" and who prove it by having that kind of design.

grumbling Pete

Can magnets harm DVDs?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Unlike hard drives, which work by magnetizing a cobalt-alloy coating on the hard drive's platter(s), an optical disc actually has a surface covered by a mix of tiny pits and flat surfaces under a protective layer of plastic. A laser scans the disc, reading flat surfaces as 0's and the pits as 1's. Scratches can interfere with the laser's ability to read the read-layer, and deep enough scratches can actually destroy data by damaging the read-layer. However, the data is in the physical shape of the disc, which is non-magnetic anyway, so a magnet wouldn't do any damage short of beating or scratching the disc with the magnet.

Edited by mikeszekely

More details/pics on the G1 Season 1 DVD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SLNPT...transformers-20

Can magnets harm DVDs?

I've been seeing so many different releases of the TF G1 cartoon series. I know the other ones are released overseas, but is this one an official American release like Rhino did like 8 years ago? :huh:

I've been seeing so many different releases of the TF G1 cartoon series. I know the other ones are released overseas, but is this one an official American release like Rhino did like 8 years ago? :huh:

Yep, this one is official and backed by Hasbro. I have to be honest, I'm almost more excited for the old toy commercials that are being included than I am for the show itself. :)

I got my Alternity Prime from laftoys.com yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with it!

_DSC4122.jpg

I really like this line. I was mad about the size to price ratio, but once I had it in my hands and started to play with it all that melted away. The engineering is fantastic, its complex without being frustrating, and because its smaller than an alternator/binaltech it was easier to handle as well. I really hope they continue this line.

Just got Masterpiece Thundercracker. While the Walmart exclusive MP Starscream was my favorite before, I have a new favorite, Thundercracker! Love the paint finish, stickers, printed details, color scheme, packaging, booklet, man this thing is presented so well!

The coneheads aren't as popular but hell I'd LOVE to see them get the Masterpiece treatment!

I wish Animated Wreck Gar was a little easier to balance, unless I'm doing something wrong. It's a wonderful figure otherwise, the paint job and the sculpt is pretty flawless for the price.

Edited by Letigre

I've gone and pre-ordered the IDW classic TF Marvel reprints 01 through 03 which hopefully will come out this month and make their way to me. I miss those old issues. I have almost all of the Titan reprints of the TMUK stories, so really looking forward to the early marvel run.

My favorite arks are the original 1-12 starring Ratchet and then later the stories where Grimlock is chasing after Blaster.

Going to be fun to relive that.

Oh - and Ratbat leading the Decepticons.

Dag- there ain't nothing like the original G1.

After all these years I am completely unphased by anything that isn't G1 or Beast Wars... not that I hate anything after - but even Animated, which is cool, is only really cool because there's so much G1 goodness in it. A true nod and homage - but still not the same thing.

Clearly I am becoming an old old man :)

Pete

Just got Masterpiece Thundercracker. While the Walmart exclusive MP Starscream was my favorite before, I have a new favorite, Thundercracker! Love the paint finish, stickers, printed details, color scheme, packaging, booklet, man this thing is presented so well!

The coneheads aren't as popular but hell I'd LOVE to see them get the Masterpiece treatment!

Yeah I love the finish on Thundercracker and Skywarp (my favorite), it's like a pearl finish and makes me wish either version of Starscream had that instead of the flat finish.

As for making Ramjet, Thrust, and Dirge I'm sure it would be easy for Takara to make them. Here by the way are some custom made figures of the coneheads (not by me unfortunately), they look amazing!

Ramjet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7834016@N02/s...57604137992939/

Thrust

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7834016@N02/s...57605242880848/

Dirge

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7834016@N02/s...57604027700124/

I really like this line. I was mad about the size to price ratio, but once I had it in my hands and started to play with it all that melted away. The engineering is fantastic, its complex without being frustrating, and because its smaller than an alternator/binaltech it was easier to handle as well. I really hope they continue this line.

I don't like the legs. I still can't quite figure out how they clearly and solidly connect together. It's a far better mold in bot mode than the BinAlternator Prime/Convoy could ever hope to be, but it didn't quite captivate me either.

Because G1-deep-blue TC is the coolest color ever for a TF. 1 dark blue TC is worth 10 light blue ones.
Also I love the presentation! The box is awesome, booklet is classy, the toy has a gloss coat and I love it. I have the US MP Starscream and Thundercracker looks more polished, more refined, with all those printed details and the gloss coat.

I do prefer how the US MP Starscream had the stripes painted on though, that was cool. I wish the toy was molded in light grey instead of white, a darker red, and had a darker blue, and was gloss coated along with the printed roundels and "warning" markings.

More information on the new 25th Anniversary DVDs.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tv-dvd/tr...comic-con-15406

"The Transformers: 25th Anniversary “Matrix of Leadership” Edition Collector’s Set, containing the four seasons of the “Generation 1” series, will come in packaging modeled after the famed Autobot Matrix artifact featured in the original animated film and the episodes that followed.

DVD producer Brian Ward described the set as a “really cool” box with the Matrix on the cover, which slides apart to reveal a shiny blue foil core which houses the set’s 16 DVDs in plastic digistack trays. The set also will include a collectible booklet.

The “Transformers” complete-series set will include two exclusive bonus features, Ward said. One is a conversation with writer Bob Budiansky, who created much of the “Transformers” mythology for the comic book. The other is a roundtable discussion with eight original members of the voice cast, including Frank Welker (Megatron)."