Aoshima Variable 1/48 Legioss for 2007

Save

Forward swept wings again.....

They're not FSW. A straight leading edge won't impart FSW characteristics.

I'd prefer a more typical swept wing myself as well however.

The Dread2 looks too hot for me to care though.

Edited by Phyrox

Hmmmm........possible new Mospeada anime? (not Shadow Chronicles)

Legioss & Tread 2007 designs to go with the updated Invid pics posted earlier.

Graham

very interesting.

i'm all for the classic designs/mecha but something new in the ways of macross/robotech mecha wouldn't hurt. i look forward to getting more info on this.

The original Legioss was a bit of the antithesis to the VF-1 stylistically. Rather than looking elegant it looked like a bruiser (obviously, all IMHO). The new design eschews that aesthetic for a sleeker and frailer look which isn't something I prefer. I think it could also benefit from some tail fins and a canopy but maybe I'm just old fashion.

Like the others, I'm digging the new Tread. It actually looks like something that could fly within the atmosphere now.

While I can accept the Legioss 2007 fighter mode, I'm not digging the battroid mode at all. I've never liked mecha with skinny tapering legs.

The Dread2 looks awesome though.

It's shaping up to be a very good year for 'real robot' mecha anime with a new Macross series, a new Votoms series, Kissdum (too early to judge if it's good or bad) and hopefully a new Mospeada anime.

Heh, I wonder if they are allowed to discuss this over on RT.com?

Graham

The original Legioss was a bit of the antithesis to the VF-1 stylistically. Rather than looking elegant it looked like a bruiser (obviously, all IMHO). The new design eschews that aesthetic for a sleeker and frailer look which isn't something I prefer. I think it could also benefit from some tail fins and a canopy but maybe I'm just old fashion.

Like the others, I'm digging the new Tread. It actually looks like something that could fly within the atmosphere now.

Quoted for...uh, me agreeing with all of it! The new Legioss fighter looks like it's upside down. Hopefully there are tailfins and a cockpit on the other side. But I doubt it.

I don't like the skinny legs either. Reminds me of the Metal Siren, Yuck!

That's exactly what I was thinking. Bring on the mecha bell-bottoms!

I don't have a problem with the new Tread, but I hope it transforms.

So where are the new ride armors?

I love the old designs, but I am really liking these new versions as well. The Dread2 really looks like it belongs in the artmic designs of the 80s. The new Inbit however I do not like.

I can see how people wouldn't like these, as they don't look quite like the originals.

That's not stopping me though. From what little I've seen I'm already more excited than I was after seeing anything for Mac0.

The pics are from the latest issue of Hobby Japan magazine.

Nobody is sure yet if they are from a new anime or not. Hopefully, sombody can translate the text soon.

Graham

Well I picked up the issue and got it translated and it says nothing about a new series. It's just a small write up on Hideki Kakinuma's professional history. The sketches of the mecha are just to explain black and white stripes and the history behind them. Basically how in World War 2 (the article mentions Normandy) these stripes where used to identify allied ships, and that the idea was brought to Mospeada.

The section on the Inbit basically says that none of the sponsors of the original Mospeada series gave any guidelines on the enemy designs so Hideki and team had free reign on what the Inbit came to be. So they chose the ugly, creepy insect crab without having to make changes by the sponsors.

The new Hobby Japan issue cover more on the reissued kits, the new toy lines, and a few pages of Mospeada line art that we have all seen before.

Edited by SaveRobotech

2007 legioss is indeed something Mr. Kakinuma created when he wrote an article. Not official.

Interesting note, tread as we know is Dread 1 and Dread 2 concepts put together with an added cockpit.

Dread 1 needed wings so it looks like it'll fly, hence Dread 2.

I kinda like Dread 1. Purpose of this thing is to carry legioss from the Mars to the Earth so it didn't actually need wings.

I loved the Dread 2 gattlin gun in the front. I might add one to my CM's Tread if I buy one.

Back on topic, if Aoshima makes a good work fixing the Legioss, I might buy one also. I happen to like Toynami's sculpt. The arched back must be at the top of Aoshima's mod list, since it's one of the things collectors complained the most of.

See, I knew if I just waited 25 years or so, I'd finally get a good model/toy of the whole Legios/TREAD thang. It only took 26 years to find a wife :p . Things are looking up though on the Mospeada front. - MT

Hi guys,

looked alot for robotech stuff, and found the following, however, as i didnt see it in these forums, i am posting it here. It is Toynomi toys, not the CM. Sorry if it has been posted already. Although i was very exited about the new CM, and still am, i am more interested in the Shadow Chronicles toys.

Note: i really like the look of the 8th and 9th picture of the bluesh type one

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/1368

Heh, my son dropped my blue Alpha MPC from a height of about 2 feet onto a wood floor. The right toe broke off. Tried to glue it back on, but the type of plastic used doesn't seem to stick with super glue.

Graham

Time to break out yuor modelling skills and drill and pin that baby :) well... not the baby...

Here is some more infomation from that website:

â– BRAVE alloy 91 /48 [regiosu] with tread

CM's this summer sale schedule price undecided

* New century alloy 1/48 [regiosu]

[aoshima] (miracle house) 10,290 Yen July sale schedules

* Non scale stick private [mosupida] <NEW>

Mega house this fall sale schedule price undecided

■1/10 variable [mosupida] <NEW>

Beagle sale day undecided price undecided

Little more info on Aoshima's version:

- The new product where [aoshima] adds improvement to toy common MP.

- Strengthening the crotch joint, in the left shoulder under addition and chest of missile pod addition of 3 connected missiles.

*So indeed, an upgraded/improved version of HG version.

It seems that Aoshima will be the first to test the market. I think you have to give credit to Aoshima in sticking with their products. Did anyone encounter an product that failed after improving it? It is like with the first version of yamato's macross 1/48th series. It had all types of QC issues. However, it just got better as time went by. It is true that only time will tell whether Aoshima will succeed or not. HG didn't do what they should have done with its QC. So, I am all for Aoshima in selling a better toy than HG. Hopefully, Aoshima will have better marketing and sells than HG did. I am sure that CM version is likely superior to Aoshima's. Sadly, I think it will be much more expensive than what we think it will be due to material and labor cost now.

And people said they wouldn't bother improving it.. Good to see they know and are aware of complaints of it.

oh well I'm still going to wait for reviews from people before deciding. As I kept saying the only thing holding me back from toynami alpha isn't anything to do with it's looks (looks great in pics) it's that I don't like toys that I am too scared to touch for fear of cracking, loosness, self-destructing(weakens over time or from *normal use), and overall just hard or annoying to try to pose or hold. (like the hands not being allowed to grip its own weapon or just generally being easy to break the fingers off trying to put stuff on it)

But otherwise all stickered up I like the looks of it. (barring the clown feet)

*not childlike "throwing at the wall" type abuse. Just from daily transformation or handling

CMs is going for a sleek valkyrie fighter mode look to it. So it will be interesting to see how the final two look side by side. If the Aoshima does well, maybe there is a chance of a beta for it perhaps?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

- Strengthening the crotch joint, in the left shoulder under addition and chest of missile pod addition of 3 connected missiles.

These were mentioned when we first heard about this.

These don't seem to amount to the improvements the Alpha needs.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a problem with its crotch joint, and I still can't seem to figure out what they are saying they are gonna do with the shoulder (if they improve/ratchet that joint that would be good), and more missiles aren't really needed.

It's like they are doing some easy unimportant modifications so that they can claim it has been improved, without having to address any of the issues that people actually have with the toy, and which actually SHOULD be improved.