Custom Member Titles

I like the idea that members that are well known get to have custom member titles. It seems like a little less fun though if they get to make up their own. What do we all think of a "nomination" type system where another member has to come up with one for you? After it has been approved by a mod, we can put it in.

(if someone REALLY dislikes theirs, we can remove it... but its supposed to be fun, so super-mean ones won't be allowed)

Nevermind. I just got one. So I'm probably biased.

H

Oh fudge!

I WISH I had seen your post before you got your title... I bet it was another installment of "Down with EVERYTHING".... HAHAHAHAAA

It is nice that you have joined us, my son.

Sounds cool to me.

Is there a post count cutoff before the custom title level?

I think when you hit the 2000-2500 posts mark, you can place a bid for your custom member title if you want one. Then a few people on the board can come up with your custom title. If you don't want one, don't ask for it, but the option remains for you to have a custom title since you've posted so much. Let's say I hit 2000 posts but I don't want a custom title and I don't ask for it. Fine, no problem. Later when I hit 3000, I finally decide that I want a custom title. I then throw my name in the bag for one and other people get to decide.

I sense the whining of people with like 17 posts in the future longing for custom titles...

"How come I can't be 'Super Valkyrie Rider 97X'?", or

"Macross Uber-Genius" or

"I like Hot Dogs" :lol:

Edited by Gaijin

I sense the whining of people with like 17 posts in the future longing for custom titles...

"Macross Uber-Genius" or

Its ok dude. I hear what you're sayin... I got you covered. ;)

Anyway, I'm open to ideas of a system of sorts on how to do it. So post some ideas and whichever is the best(most feasable) will go into effect. I will volunteer to be the one to approve/activate the titles.

They don't have to be 100% clean, just within the rules etc.

Sounds cool to me.

Is there a post count cutoff before the custom title level?

I think when you hit the 2000-2500 posts mark, you can place a bid for your custom member title if you want one. Then a few people on the board can come up with your custom title. If you don't want one, don't ask for it, but the option remains for you to have a custom title since you've posted so much. Let's say I hit 2000 posts but I don't want a custom title and I don't ask for it. Fine, no problem. Later when I hit 3000, I finally decide that I want a custom title. I then throw my name in the bag for one and other people get to decide.

Well, if that's the case, I'll throw myself on the block.

Be gentle with me... ;):lol:

Should there be a thread just for the purposes of members posting titles?. If so, it would be really funny to go back, and read through all the suggestions, and see the ones that were turned down etc.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Sounds like a cool idea to me.

Max says "members that are well known..."

Any one can spam or use one liners to get a high post count, and if an arbitrary "post" count level is set, then you'll encourage people to post for no other reason than to get to that level.

Base it upon longevity. I would trade (20) members that post 1,000 times and then disappear from MW in (1) year, for (1) contributing MW member that sticks around through thick and thin and has intelligent things to say.

It's a nice way to reward members that are true Macross fans, because we've all seen people with high post counts come and go. ;)

True, I only mentioned post count becuase I have a vague memory of one of the Mods mentioning custom titles at a certain level back when they first introduced the current member titles.

I agree that it should be for the better known members, of course, it sort of governs itself. If a noob shows up, and posts a thousand times saying nothing, then when he/she goes and asks for a title, it is likely that the members with tenure around here will either not know anything about that person and hence, have no suggestions, or they will flat out post titles that will reflect that they know that member to be an empty poster.

Sounds like a cool idea to me.

Max says "members that are well known..."

Any one can spam or use one liners to get a high post count, and if an arbitrary "post" count level is set, then you'll encourage people to post for no other reason than to get to that level.

Base it upon longevity. I would trade (20) members that post 1,000 times and then disappear from MW in (1) year, for (1) contributing MW member that sticks around through thick and thin and has intelligent things to say.

It's a nice way to reward members that are true Macross fans, because we've all seen people with high post counts come and go. ;)

damn, I already don't qualify with that "intelligent things to say" part. screw you guys, you bastids! :lol:

guess this would be kinda fun...sorta like an inside joke. but to us outsiders, it'd look very strange.

So how many nominations for "ass clown" , or "ass hat" do you expect to receive for various members? I think this is a great idea but if kept in an open forum for nominations it could lead to dogs and cats living together...total anarchy! I suppose it would at least be a long and funny thread.

I think a lot of the fun would be removed from them if they're publically debated and nominated. Right now, they're good because they're just an inside joke and a way of acknowledging (and gently ribbing) people who have been around a while and contributed something positive either through humor, information, or just plain being a good guy (among other things). But, I think they would lose some of their value if they weren't just sorta arbitrarily handed out by the mods and admins.

It's not a big deal either way. But I think I'd rather see the mods and admins just pick a time (like twice a year) to discuss amongst themselves who "needs" a title. . . and just dish them out as usual. I think the only problem with the custom titles as they stand now is that it had been a long time since any had been handed out. . . so those who had them seemed to be in some sort of an elite club. Well, now that I have one, that theory is gone! :lol:

But, I can think of at least one person who is long overdue for a title. He always makes a ton of sense, usually brings something new and interesting to a conversation, never gets in fights, and seems like an all-around great guy. But, I'd nominate him privately via PM rather than posting in a thread about it.

We should also consider that if someone who is nominated in such a public way has any "enemies" (it's sad that we have such things here, but it happens), it might get ugly as it might be seen as an open invitation for someone to come in and say why they shouldn't get one, and bad-mouth that person. It'd be like a nasty judicial nomination hearing in the senate! :lol:

H

P.S. It was very awkward to write that, since I just got one. Oh, but A1, I didn't delete my prior post after seeing my new title. I wrote it after seeing it, and then thought better of it. But what is above was largely what I had there last night.

"Macross Uber-Genius" or

Nice title Gaijin! :lol:

But, I can think of at least one person who is long overdue for a title. He always makes a ton of sense, usually brings something new and interesting to a conversation, never gets in fights, and seems like an all-around great guy. But, I'd nominate him privately via PM rather than posting in a thread about it.

Dude, I already HAVE a title!

But, I can think of at least one person who is long overdue for a title.  He always makes a ton of sense, usually brings something new and interesting to a conversation, never gets in fights, and seems like an all-around great guy.  But, I'd nominate him privately via PM rather than posting in a thread about it.

:lol:

I almost wrote "Not you A1, you already have a title."

Next time, I'll follow my gut.

Anyway, I'm open to ideas of a system of sorts on how to do it. So post some ideas and whichever is the best(most feasable) will go into effect. I will volunteer to be the one to approve/activate the titles.

They don't have to be 100% clean, just within the rules etc.

How about how long the person has been a Macross World member? As well as having received a certain number of nominations from different people (besides people known to be friends of the person, since that would make it too easy to get a title).

Or maybe set-up some secret council of Macross World Members that will take public nominations and behind closed doors decide the fate of members with their custom titles... :ph34r: The Council of Sith Lords. :lol:

If this were a rpg, I'd say make them go on a quest to go throw a ring into a volcano, or have a lightsaber duel in a cruiser that's gonna crash and burn. :p

If making intelligent contributions to Macross World is a requirement, I'm screwed. :lol:

But, I can think of at least one person who is long overdue for a title.  He always makes a ton of sense, usually brings something new and interesting to a conversation, never gets in fights, and seems like an all-around great guy.  But, I'd nominate him privately via PM rather than posting in a thread about it.

It's obvious he's talking about me. :rolleyes:

Who gives a damn when, who cares what

just the fact this could mean fun, warants enough to let the mods handle this

every once in a while somebody has a quote or reply too good to forget it

(or let them forget it, heheheh)

that should be a good idea for Custom member titles

I think the member title of MW's pet robotechie troll proves that.

I noticed that the other day and about spit my drink out on my monitor.

I think the member titles are funny... most people who have one got it not thinking they where going to get one so I think that tradition should continue.

... and am I the only one having flashbacks of the "pledge naming ceremony" in Animal House?

I agree with trueblueeyes & JsARCLIGHT. Just PM your nomination to one of the Mods., and they can decide if the title is warranted/appropriate.

I think it's neat, because a custom member title can show you how someone else perceives you, perhaps in a way that you never really thought of. It can be fun and an eye opener at the same time. :lol:

Hahahah... :lol:

I got mine the same way Gaijin got his. I posted some suggestive titles and bam... I got one of them. Me and my fat mouth... geez. <_<:p:lol:

I would rather have something that fits me. Problem is that something tells me that if this works out the way it does someone like promethuem5 or shiyao will make me "Macross Image Library" or a title closely related to that. :wacko:

I guess I could care less either way. Titles are fun and all but as long as no one gets all annoyed that they dont have one or want a better one, etc, etc. I guess if the mods can keep everyone satisfied I would definitely like to see how this works out.