All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Guest davidwhangchoi

LAst of Us remaster is almost upon us. it will be the first time i play it. i purposely waited and sold my sealed ps3 copy and pre-ordered the ps4 one.

LAst of Us remaster is almost upon us. it will be the first time i play it. i purposely waited and sold my sealed ps3 copy and pre-ordered the ps4 one.

Well, if you're like the majority, you're probably in for a treat.

Personally, I hated it. Couldn't even finish it. But I seem to be an anomaly.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Well, if you're like the majority, you're probably in for a treat.

Personally, I hated it. Couldn't even finish it. But I seem to be an anomaly.

well, i'm sick of uncharted's gameplay so if it's just uncharted with a serious story, i may agree with your assessment.

well, i'm sick of uncharted's gameplay so if it's just uncharted with a serious story, i may agree with your assessment.

I've heard the comparisons to Uncharted, and frankly, I don't get them.

I mean, yes, the gunplay is copy/pasted from Uncharted, but that's about it. There is melee combat, but it's much worse (perhaps by design?) than Uncharted's. Managing your melee weapons is a pain. And the parkour elements from Uncharted have been entirely replaced with a focus on stealth, although I found that The Last of Us didn't seem to offer enough useful feedback to make the stealth elements fun. And it's not that I don't like stealth games (as a friend of mine accused me of)... I played Human Revolution stealthy, I played Dishonored stealthy... heck, I even played the new Wolfenstein stealthy (which amused one of my other friends, who played strictly run-and-gun until he got stuck near the end... I took over for him, and immediately started throwing knives at everyone). Somehow, someway, the mechanics behind TLoU just never clicked for me, so I had a miserable time of it.

Just set up my new super slim PS3. Plugging in the power cable behind the entertainment shelf was a bit of a nightmare--and I'll have to be doing a lot of heavy lifting and moving again when I buy the PS4 this Christmas. I underestimated the noise of the Blu-ray drive. Initially I though the ambient noise of my AC wil drown it out, but I could clearly hear that soft but high-pitched whine above the low hiss of my AC unit.

Aesthetically, though, I don't get all the complaints about it looking "cheap" and "plasticky". Sure, the 1st gen's design is the most elegant, but the super slim looks pretty nice to my eyes. Calling it a George Foreman grill seems kind of harsh.

Either way, it's nice to be able to do some gaming again.

I've heard the comparisons to Uncharted, and frankly, I don't get them.

I mean, yes, the gunplay is copy/pasted from Uncharted, but that's about it. There is melee combat, but it's much worse (perhaps by design?) than Uncharted's. Managing your melee weapons is a pain. And the parkour elements from Uncharted have been entirely replaced with a focus on stealth, although I found that The Last of Us didn't seem to offer enough useful feedback to make the stealth elements fun. And it's not that I don't like stealth games (as a friend of mine accused me of)... I played Human Revolution stealthy, I played Dishonored stealthy... heck, I even played the new Wolfenstein stealthy (which amused one of my other friends, who played strictly run-and-gun until he got stuck near the end... I took over for him, and immediately started throwing knives at everyone). Somehow, someway, the mechanics behind TLoU just never clicked for me, so I had a miserable time of it.

I haven't played Uncharted before, but I agree that the combat and stealth system in TLoU is a bit of a chore. I kept playing for the story, and it became more of an interactive novel for me. Despite being somewhat repetitive, I also found Deus Ex Human Revolution's stealth system to be more fun.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i don't know i might give this a shot: Alien Isolation interviews with the original cast of Alien doing voicework, pretty damn cool:

Well...I read the article to mean that the game is getting some good buzz, hopefully that's true and this turns out to be as good as everyone hopes it is.

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/alien--isolation-lures-back-original-alien-cast-members-183137096.html

-b.

i don't know i might give this a shot: Alien Isolation interviews with the original cast of Alien doing voicework, pretty damn cool:

*snip*

Ahem. Pardon me sir.

:p

-b.

Back on my PS2, I had a ton of Gundam games. They seemed to range from crap (Journey to Jaburo, Zeonic Front) to mediocre (Encounters in Space, Climax U.C.).

On the PSP, I discovered the Gundam Battle series, and not only were they actual good Gundam games, but Gundam Battle Universe is IMHO the single best game available for the PSP.

Given how great the Gundam Battle series is, I've hardly played a Gundam game since. I tried Crossfire back at the PS3 launch, and it was awful. I also played one of the Gundam vs. games on the PSP, but it felt a little too arcadey, with nothing that really compared to the campaign mode of Gundam vs Z Gundam. Oh, and there's the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games, which I do enjoy, but are more Dynasty Warrirors than Gundam.

Has anyone played any of the newer Gundam games? I've heard good things about Gundam Breaker and Battlefield Record UC 0081. Gundam Extreme Vs Full Boost looks good, too, and it sounds like they've added a new Mission Mode I might like.

Although, what I really really want is for Artdink to do another Gundam Battle game. I'd love it if the announced Mobile Suit Gundam for PS4 turns out to be an Artdink-developed Gundam along the lines of GBU, but with better graphics and full campaigns for 0079, 0081, 0083, 0087, 0088, 0093, 0096, 0123, and 0153.

I've got Gundam Breaker on the PS Vita. Played it a good solid week (even had a friend who bought it at the same time who co-played with me), but I really got tired of playing after a while. Maybe the whole "customizing your own Gundam" thing didn't catch on with me, or maybe it's because every mission is basically the same thing, but I stopped playing after that week, and have yet to pick it up since.

Waste of $79 :(

The best Gundam game I've ever played most likely goes to E.F. vs. Zeon on the PS2. Had a blast playing that co-op with friends.

In other news, anything $40 in Target (including games), and you get $10 off. Not a bad deal.

I've got Gundam Breaker on the PS Vita. Played it a good solid week (even had a friend who bought it at the same time who co-played with me), but I really got tired of playing after a while. Maybe the whole "customizing your own Gundam" thing didn't catch on with me, or maybe it's because every mission is basically the same thing, but I stopped playing after that week, and have yet to pick it up since.

Waste of $79 :(

The best Gundam game I've ever played most likely goes to E.F. vs. Zeon on the PS2. Had a blast playing that co-op with friends.

In other news, anything $40 in Target (including games), and you get $10 off. Not a bad deal.

Is Gundam Breaker worth it for $29.99? Play-Asia is taking preorders at that price for a "PlayStation The Best" version.

BTW, if you liked Feddie vs. Zeon, you'd love Gundam vs. Z Gundam. Basically the same thing, but with a bigger campaign mode and more mobile suits from Z Gundam.

As good as they were, though, they don't hold a candle to the Battle series on PSP.

Gundam vs zeta gundam gets boring from doing the same missions over and over for each character. Federation Vs. Zeon is still my favorite gundam game.

Gundam extreme vs fb is an excellent game if you are into 2v2 online battles but the other modes are boring and pointless. I would recommend it to any gundam fan, just so many little touches that showed the developers cared about the franchise.

Gundam vs zeta gundam gets boring from doing the same missions over and over for each character. Federation Vs. Zeon is still my favorite gundam game.

Gundam extreme vs fb is an excellent game if you are into 2v2 online battles but the other modes are boring and pointless. I would recommend it to any gundam fan, just so many little touches that showed the developers cared about the franchise.

I'm really only into single player. :(

Has anyone tried Battlefield Record UC 0081, or the Unicorn game?

Anyone have any suggestions for good games to play on Xbox between now and when Destiny comes out in September?

One or 360? Games with gold for 360 is getting Dishonored in the second half of August, depending on your platform I could make some suggestions, any particular type of game your looking to play? FPS, stealth, indie, platformer, etc.?

I've still got both hooked up. Action shootery stuff would be nice; sci-fi themes are preferred but not necessary. Actually I think I've got a copy of Halo: Reach that I've never played. or I could do the one thing I swore I would never do in my lifetime and actually play mass effect. (I can't believe I'm even contemplating that... :wacko: )

I've still got both hooked up. Action shootery stuff would be nice; sci-fi themes are preferred but not necessary. Actually I think I've got a copy of Halo: Reach that I've never played. or I could do the one thing I swore I would never do in my lifetime and actually play mass effect. (I can't believe I'm even contemplating that... :wacko: )

Well I would definitely recommend Mass Effect, but if you're not feeling that I get it, it's also an RPG, so it's really slow at times. I'd also recommend Vanquish, any Halo, Halo Reach was good, you can't go wrong with a Gears of War, I recently started playing Splinter Cell Conviction again, it can be a shooter, or a stealth game, Half Life 2's campaign is always fun, I recently got back into State of Decay as well, AKA my favorite zombie game probably ever made, Crysis is a competent enough shooter, Borderlands is very addictive, the Bioshock series is great, Red Faction Guerrilla gets overlooked a lot but it was a ton of fun and had a gorgeous destruction engine, the Transformers Cybertron series is excellent, hell the first one is co-op so I'd be willing to buy it back, Lost Planet if you're into that, the new Deus Ex was pretty fun, a lot to digest I know, I've just played a lot of games so I'm a bit all over the place when people ask me for suggestions, I tried to fit the criteria though.

Guest davidwhangchoi

jk, seriously, i love this game... don't know if you're into rail shooters... but i think it holds up and aged well. you can get is used for 8 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Panzer-Dragoon-Orta-Xbox/dp/B00006LU9C

FEAR. Especially the second one. First one is good, but a little dated. Third one has cool moments, but wasn't nearly as good as the first two.

The new Wolfenstein is also really good.

oh man, I had FEAR back when it first came out on PC... I wonder if I still have the mess of install disks it came on? I already beat Wolfenstein about a month ago. I have to check if I've got copy of Gears of war still. maybe I should finally finish it.

Hope you enjoy it more than I did.

The prologue was epic, but I got bored really quickly shortly after that. I'll do some more game play over the weekend but this may be one of those titles that just doesn't hold my attention (I am admittedly very prone to lose focus on most games I play/buy).

-b.