MPC Alpha @ MW Con 4

Hi all,

Just a heads up that we had a MPC Alpha at MW CON 4 and I scooped a few pictures to share. I made a request to Toynami to bring along the MPC Alpha and Toynami had arranged Tom Bateman to join us at the event! Special thanks to Tom Bateman for taking the time out and sharing the figure!

MW Con 4

-Kevin

Edited by VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

hey that looks pretty neat. i'm not a huge fan of what ever anime that came from, but i do remember seeing it in robotech a few times.

thats gotta be the best one of those on the market huh?

Right on.  I've got no issues with Toynami but I know some people on this board do.  Did he catch a lot of flak from others?

Everyone welcomed Tom. I didn't see or hear anyone badger him, though questions were raised about the whole licensing debacle. However, there was nothing new discussed that isn't already known by the folks here and at RT.COM.

I think Tom had a good time talking with everyone.

-Kevin

Edited by VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

:o the alpha fighter it is to freekin small what is the exact size of it anyhow i heard between 6 and 7 inches but it looks smaller, i am not sure if i want to spend $80.00 for the preorder anymore it is to much for something of that size

Tom was EXTREMELY nice and personable. And it was very generous of Toynami to have the Alpha at MW4. I hope that he had a good time and if there is anything new to show around the time of next year's MW5 (ahem, I want Ride Armor/Cyclones dammit!), that he will feel comfortable attending and showing that off as well. :):D

Despite it's size, I liked what I saw of the Alpha. I handled it briefly only in fighter mode, but had to leave early (crap!) before I saw it in all of the other modes. It was heavier than I thought it would be, due to the die cast content, and it seemed that Toynami was very careful with the details this time around. Also, IMHO, the color of blue that they chose was perfect. I was also worried about the ground clearance of the chest piece after seeing pics online, but seeing it in person, it's not an issue at all. I can absolutely picture it with a Beta and think that these will sell enough to warrant it.

Can anyone else who saw it at MW4 talk about the other modes?

I wish I could've stuck around longer to see... :(

Oh BTW, the XSToys collection (or the fraction of it that he brought) was RIDONKULOUS. :blink::lol:

OMG...

That is what I call SMALL.

and pricey, anyways Im getting a bunch of them.

I wonder about the articulation and how tight are the joints. That worries me a lot given the size of this thing.

Xtoy... man, as usual you never cease to amaze us.

Tony, did I EVER mentioned I HATE you the most? :lol:

Ok To clear this up about the Alpha being small, you gotta hold it. While I only held it briefly, the weight is really really really satisfactory. First impressions is (Its gonna be like the MPC) but then you hold it ad you say "Wow!!!!" that is nice.

The pic of the MPC with the Alpha is ridiculous. Its like Legolas and Gimli. The alpha is in the correct scale and proportions to the MPC. It is anime accurate. (except for the Ronald McDonald feet) anyway Tom asked me to transform my newly purchased and opened VF-1J GBP Yamato. Fighter, Gerwalk, Battroid with and with out the armour. Anyway, we looked at the two and for sanity sake the 1/60 yamato looks great next to the Alpha. So its not as small as you guys think it is. Specially in fighter mode. Granted the 80 dollar price tag is steep and I dont think it is really worth that much, but hey I have no alternative in terms of Alphas. I have a 1/35 scale alpha. so this one will be a nice addition.

No I did not give Tom a hard time. He was very welcome and i hope he had a good time. We chatted about HG/BW relations stuff that he asked me not to post. Nothing really important jsut clarification stuff. But I think we all had a great time.

Oh side note on the alphas. Tom brought a Production version. Not a prototype. and the fist holding the gun (the fist is poseable) keeps falling off. So that might be a problem with the Alphas. But hey super glue works wonders.

Did anyone even ask about a TREAD????!

Yeah the same answer for any question whether "Are you gonna make a Cyclone, or a tread/Beta or Invid?" The answer is "Buy the Alphas and we'll see" I dont think HG has that much money to plan multiple toys at once. They have to consider the 4 alpha variations first and then if the sales are better than the MPC which im sure they will be, then they can entertain more ideas.

Xtoy... man, as usual you never cease to amaze us.

Tony, did I EVER mentioned I HATE you the most? :lol:

Silly rabbit, get the name right. It's XSTOYS!!! :p

I know you hate me & I wouldn't have it any other way. :p & you think this will help you get custom parts from me???

Too bad you missed another MW Con. Had to be there to get the full effect. & Yes, there were some new things that even you didn't know about! :p

PS. I'll be in your neck of the woods again later this year.

Tony

xstoys

Did anyone even ask about a TREAD????!

Yeah the same answer for any question whether "Are you gonna make a Cyclone, or a tread/Beta or Invid?" The answer is "Buy the Alphas and we'll see" I dont think HG has that much money to plan multiple toys at once. They have to consider the 4 alpha variations first and then if the sales are better than the MPC which im sure they will be, then they can entertain more ideas.

Yeah, it's kinda like how Bandai scrapped everything else following the not so good sales of the reissues. If the reissues had sold well, we would've gotten destroids and god (or xstoys) knows what else! :ph34r:

looks like I missed out on some pretty sweet things at the con. but doesn't seem to have too many entrants for the customs contest. what happened? well, still looked like a lot of fun.

Yes, I agree.

I bet they all missed your Millia custom.

:ph34r:

did you guys ask about how the gun mounts under the wing? can it be mounted under both sides?

.................................................................................

nevermind, found it... gunpod, bothsides. awesome. ;)

Edited by eugimon

But but but....its so small!!! Should've took comaparisons with the super poseables...it looks about that size.

I don't really care for size....if it weren't so expensive.... <_<

I think I can sum up how good the MPC Alpha really is. I went in expecting a piece of crap. I left with a 100% intention of buying one. Features like the 2-part (like on an F-15) opening cockpit, the leg missile hatches, the way the wings fold in Battloid and Guardian (Don't know what terms are used in Mospeada), all were great features. It defenitely has as much diecast content as a 1/60 Yamato (Slightly less overall weight, but it's quite a bit smaller than the Yamato) The plastic is a huge improvement, with a texture and color very similar to that of the Yammie 1J. The color and application of the paint were also excellent. Hell, even the pilot figure is quite nice looking! (Not quite as good as the 1/48, but certainly better than 1/72 Guld!)

get the american release, on the off chance and highly rare occasion something anime based worth buying comes out of the U.S. i think it should be supported!

if this stuff sells well here, it'll help the entire industry. you know?

I am wuite impressed with the Alpha's detail. Finally is seems Toynami has done justice. Price is a little steep, but with 80+free shipping offers I can live with it. I don't want the blue one though.

BTW, I would have brought the valk doll encased in GLASS. And XSTOYS has all 3 helmets? :o

Daaamn.

Edited by Anubis

Thanks for the pics. That's nice of Toynami to enter enemy territory and allow pics to be posted for everyone. I have been waiting for a comparison pic to get an idea of actual size. It's small but that's alright if it has a lot of diecast. It would be even more alright if there is a Beta. I will definitely be getting these bad boys even if I have to spend $80 each.

I am wuite impressed with the Alpha's detail. Finally is seems Toynami has done justice. Price is a little steep, but with 80+free shipping offers I can live with it. I don't want the blue one though.

BTW, I would have brought the valk doll encased in GLASS. And XSTOYS has all 3 helmets? :o

Daaamn.

If it's the shipping that bothers you, the man that started the thread is offering free shipping on these. ;)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=7368

These boy shoulda hit the water today, 2 weeks for the trip and 1 week for customs as estimated by one of your friendly neighboorhood Valk-pimpers. I'm so glad that'll be after SDCon... whew...

yes the gun mounts on either side... wonder if we can do a gun recast to get a double mounted Alpha.

Also the one thing that makes it less than perfect transformation is that the shoulder mounted antenna during Fighter has to be removed... oh well... that's fine by me..