Spider-Man 2 review! (spoiler free)

Well, Tobey may be back:

"I don't anticipate doing a fourth movie, you know. Look, I think that three's probably enough for me, but you never know. If they sent me a script that was better than any other script I've ever read and offered me a piece of Sony Corporation ... (he smiles, knowing he has already taken in a reported $20 million for his re-negotiated salary for Spider-Man 2 and stands to make even more next time) ... Never say never, you know. Sony's a big corporation."

In other words: "I'm not doing for money. I'm doing for A LOT of money."

in this months Wizard, Raimi said that he would keep coming back to do spidey as long as Sony asked him. Tobey said he would only be back if Sam came back, With Kirsten, Rosemary Harris and J.K. Simmons. otherwise, they wouldn't do it.

i don't see how Kirsten or Tobey could not want to do anymore, its a lucrative deal, and its not like the movies have been crap as far as story is concerned. i could see if the movies were "Batman and Robin" bad, but they haven't been. oh well. hollywood types baffle me. <_<

My GF and I saw it last night with ewilen and his wife.

Awesome movie. The best superhero franchaise so far. I hope they don't screw it up by making too many or swaping out actors. IMO if Tobby or Kirsten can't do it, then forget it.

Then you'll be sad to know Dunst has no interest in doing a fourth. She doesn't want to be known as "Mary Jane Watson forever".

and J.K. Simmons.

J.K. Simmions' JJJ is one of the best reasons to go see the Spider-Man movies. They cast that role PROPERLY. And Hoffman. Hoffman is funny :)

They really did cast JJJ perfectly. :lol:

i thought spiderman 2 was kinda a chick flick. its was 80% peter being sad about M.J. MAYBE 15% spidey action.. and only 5% full on spidey badness. as oposed to the other 15% wich was Toby in a spidey unitard, but no mask.

could have been better, especialy the bits where peter is constantly takeing his mask off. i can stomach a good love story, but spidey with his mask off always looked a little obscene to me.

My GF and I saw it last night with ewilen and his wife. 

Awesome movie.  The best superhero franchaise so far.  I hope they don't screw it up by making too many or swaping out actors.  IMO if Tobby or Kirsten can't do it, then forget it.

Then you'll be sad to know Dunst has no interest in doing a fourth. She doesn't want to be known as "Mary Jane Watson forever".

As long as she's there for the third movie, that's cool with me. Besides, they can always bring in Gwen Stacy for Peter's new love interest in a fourth movie.

Anyone think that the fugly blond neighber might play a bigger role in the next one?

I wondered why she was even in this movie. It seemed like a plotline that was going to go somewhere, but then Raimi decided to drop it. As it stands, she has no point at all.

vinnie

i think the blond girl is hot, what (if anything) she lacks in looks, she makes up for by smothering chocolate cake on the problem.

skinny awkward russian (?) girl stops by my place offering cake and sexy company, she gets a gold star.

Edited by KingNor

Anyone think that the fugly blond neighber might play a bigger role in the next one?

I wondered why she was even in this movie. It seemed like a plotline that was going to go somewhere, but then Raimi decided to drop it. As it stands, she has no point at all.

vinnie

Throw some make up on her and I wouldn't be surprized if she was a former high fashion model (note I said high fashion not super model). My problem with the character was that she lost the accent a few times.

The receptionist I believe was one of Peter's earlier girl friends.

vinnie

Throw some make up on her and I wouldn't be surprized if she was a former high fashion model (note I said high fashion not super model). My problem with the character was that she lost the accent a few times.

The receptionist I believe was one of Peter's earlier girl friends.

The receptionist is Betty Brant. In the comic world she was Pete's first love if I am not mistaken. They broke up because she couldn't deal with Peter's dangerously lifestyle as a photographer...

As for the movie world, she nothing more than the receptionist who empathizes with Peter whenever he faces JJ.

vinnie

I was sort of confused as to the blonde's purpose as well, except that Raimi's maybe demonstrating how a person can easily pass up on the potential others while obsessing over one particular person. Both Betty and the blonde (particularly the latter) were giving off signs of interest in Peter and he he either ignored them or didn't even pick up on them. Both movies do play strongly on typical geeky 'nice guy' behavior, so I wouldn't be surprised if Raimi was just continuing to utilize it.

I didn't think the blonde was fugly. Definitely a little too much on the skiny side for my tastes, but hardly something that couldn't be overcome if she ate some of the cake she makes. :)

I was sort of confused as to the blonde's purpose as well, except that Raimi's maybe demonstrating how a person can easily pass up on the potential others while obsessing over one particular person. Both Betty and the blonde (particularly the latter) were giving off signs of interest in Peter and he he either ignored them or didn't even pick up on them. Both movies do play strongly on typical geeky 'nice guy' behavior, so I wouldn't be surprised if Raimi was just continuing to utilize it.

I didn't think the blonde was fugly. Definitely a little too much on the skiny side for my tastes, but hardly something that couldn't be overcome if she ate some of the cake she makes. :)

Yeah, I think it was just showing that a lot of the trouble in peter's life is due to the choices he makes... which is pretty much the theme of the movie right?

everyone in the movie is forced to make a choice, and peter had to see that he had choices.

Who knows what's going on with the blond girl... again, part of what made the old skool soap opera-ish Spiderman comic so great was that they would set up new characters, but wait awhile before something actually happens to involve them in the main story. Maybe something will happen with her in the next flick.

Personally, I'd love to see the next movie kill of Dunst like Gwen Stacy. Spiderman can't be tied to just one woman! In the comics, he was always dating several, with disastrous results.

Speaking of other women, I'd really enjoy it if they brought in the Black Cat... even she is a bit too much like Catwoman, drawn the Marvel way.

Who knows what's going on with the blond girl... again, part of what made the old skool soap opera-ish Spiderman comic so great was that they would set up new characters, but wait awhile before something actually happens to involve them in the main story.  Maybe something will happen with her in the next flick.

Personally, I'd love to see the next movie kill of Dunst like Gwen Stacy.  Spiderman can't be tied to just one woman!  In the comics, he was always dating several, with disastrous results.

I think you're hoping too much. The way the film ended on and faded to black gave me the vibe that MJ was not going to last for very long. I don't think it would work seeing how these two films (in the movie universe anyways) have established MJ as one of his driving points. Killing her off would be much (unless it turns out her clone was killed and otehr crap clone stuff) :ph34r:

Speaking of other women, I'd really enjoy it if they brought in the Black Cat... even she is a bit too much like Catwoman, drawn the Marvel way.

Heh, I was hoping there would be some future plot twist that the blonde girl becomes Black Cat. They've changed and twisted enough atuff alreday in these films anywas. In fact, not having a Felicia Hardy cameo somewhere in the first and this film as a classmate or something seems like a mistake.

Edited by Jemstone

Speaking of the blonde Chick, does anyone know what her name is given in the end credits? I'd be interested to see if she was possibly named felicia or gwen.

Speaking of the blonde Chick, does anyone know what her name is given in the end credits? I'd be interested to see if she was possibly named felicia or gwen.

I was just about to ask that.

They never said her name, so the blonde girl could actually have been Gwen possibly. If anything it was nice to see someone be nice to Pete during the movie. She was one of only a handful that were nice to him for a while there before the train.

What was Gwen's background in the comic?

MJ did look kind of down for a moment as Spidey left right before the end credits, kind of "so this is my fate" in a way.

Concievable to kill her off though a big deviation from the comic.

Black Cat would be great to see as well.

I don't remember if she was mentioned in the film credits themselves, but imdb.com lists her as "Ursula", so definitely not Gwen, although it wouldn't be too far fetched for them to change the real name of the Black Cat. Still, she doesn't really fit Ms.Hardy's physique nor (more importantly, imho) personality. Probably the last descriptive you'd use for the Black Cat is 'shy'. ;)

Gwen was Peter's first full-on girlfriend in the comics (J.J.'s secretary, Betty, was his first big love, but that failed on a number of counts before it really went anywhere). Gwen and Peter met at college and eventually began a relationship. Her dad later got killed during a battle between Spider-man and Doc Ock and it put a little strain on their romance (because heaven forbid Parker has something that doesn't have guilt attached to it). Later, Gwen was involved in the incident that M.J. was in at the end of the first movie. Unlike the movie, though, the fall killed Gwen.

I would sort of hope that they don't switch roles between Gwen and M.J., especially since M.J.'s absorbed a chunk of Gwen's character already (in a lot of ways, she's also grabbed a little of Felicia's too).

I would personally love to see the Black Cat come in just to screw around with what would at this point be a 'perfect romantic ending' for Peter and M.J. As mentioned above, though, M.J. with her Spidey-obsession isn't too far off from Felicia's 'I love the costume' angle, so it may be redundant.

OK, so Ursula was just a normal girl who had a a bit of a crush on Peter. At least one person to just be nice to him despite the sea of stuff that dumps on him. That cake and company was probably the highlight of his day.

Side question: Is Aunt May still alive in the comic?

Edited by Anubis

She had a russian last name, like the landlord. She didn't look too superheroish either.

The MJ and Parker scenes were probably the worst parts of the movie. They're lines were so Cheesy... "you're just an empty seat"

Best scenes were with Harry, Doc Ock and Bruce Campbell. :D

And man... does Aunt May have strong arms or what....? :huh:

yeah, I was surprised that for an old lady she still has a strong heart. After falling from the building twice and she had the strength to shatter her umbrella againt doc ock's head! :p:D:lol:

yeah, I was surprised that for an old lady she still has a strong heart. After falling from the building twice and she had the strength to shatter her umbrella againt doc ock's head! :p:D:lol:

Well, anyone badass enough to have a card in Marvel Series 2 is ok in my book.(I got the whole set, lol... pity they're worthless now, along w/ series 4 and whatever cards I have).

Hell, Aunt May shoulda been a stunt granny to help her pay the mortgage.

Well, anyone badass enough to have a card in Marvel Series 2 is ok in my book.(I got the whole set, lol... pity they're worthless now, along w/ series 4 and whatever cards I have).

hahah, that's true. Yeah, I still have the marvel series 2 cards. I think I stopped after 4 or something. All I know is I have a pile of worthless marvel / dc / image / valiant cards just collecting dust. :( with all the money I put into those cards, I would've been able to buy me several low viz's! :p:D:lol:

hahah, that's true. Yeah, I still have the marvel series 2 cards. I think I stopped after 4 or something. All I know is I have a pile of worthless marvel / dc / image / valiant cards just collecting dust. :( with all the money I put into those cards, I would've been able to buy me several low viz's! :p:D:lol:

No joke... pity I was suckered into that... I thought I'd at least be able to get something decent outta it. Shoulda sold series 2 back when it was $450 and never bought 4 to begin with (though the cards combining into a mural every 9 cards was coo). The only set I REALLY liked were the X-Men cards... series I and II were both awesome imho... and I'm glad I didn't get rid of em. Oh... that and the first 2 Marvel Masterpieces series'.

No joke... pity I was suckered into that... I thought I'd at least be able to get something decent outta it. Shoulda sold series 2 back when it was $450 and never bought 4 to begin with (though the cards combining into a mural every 9 cards was coo). The only set I REALLY liked were the X-Men cards... series I and II were both awesome imho... and I'm glad I didn't get rid of em. Oh... that and the first 2 Marvel Masterpieces series'.

Oh yeah, the master pieces were cool. Thick cards to begin with too. I have a full set of the first series including the special chase cards. I remember always trying to get the special cards. I have a lot of the special chase cards from each series that I keep in a box. Did you ever get that one card that was a 3D hologram card that was worth at least 200+ because it was like 1 out of 2 cases. I think it was venom or someone that was cool. I can't remember who it is. Do you know where to go to find out about these cards?