Spider-Man 2 review! (spoiler free)

So, years ago, before most of you readers were born, my father befriended a lad by the name of Ralph Macchio... and no, not the guy that played in the Karate Kid films... let's get that straight right now.

Who is Ralph Macchio Zeta? Oh, he's been the editor for Spider-man for years... he also had a run with Dare Devil and a few other comics there... he was pulled to be the consultant for both Spidey films, Dare Devil, the Blade movies, and a few of the next films. (if I remember right, Fantastic Four, Blade 3, Iron Man, and Spidey 3)

Anyway, since my birthday just passed and the fact that he missed out on tickets for Punisher, he managed to get a ticket for me and my father to this. It was great... saw it in New York in the Loew's Cineplex. They rented the whole place out and it was PACKED!!! Before the movie, we headed over to the Marvel offices and checked out the place... they have some nice peices of ass working there, let me tell ya!

Spoiler news from Zeta: The next films coming from Marvel are Elektra, Fantastic Four, Blade 3, Iron Man, X-Men 3, and of course Spidey 3... they're also in the works of getting Dare Devil 2. This is straight from the head of Marvel's lips... he had a 30 minute speech prior to the movie... he definitely cut the speech short though as the crowd was getting ugly... Under the groans and shuffling of the audience, he said something about another Hulk movie and how they were still debating if it should be a sequel or a whole new franchise seperate from the movie Ang Lee did...

Enough backstory... Here's the review!!!

Spider-Man 2: A++!

BEST movie I've seen in a LONG time. The action scenes were great, the witty lines were awesome, and the acting was terrific. A true comic book in action. Doc's metal arms are as much their own characters as Spiderman or Doc Ock himself. J.J. Jameson's scenes were very clever.. he's still the obnoxious prick he was in the first film... and more screen time. There are a lot of cameos thrown in... Jameson's son, Dr. Connors... and a few more I'll leave out... but let's just say, some people from the first film make an appearance. Great film that wraps up the loose ends from the first flick and lead right into Spidey 3 in 2007... and no, Venom is NOT gonna be the new badguy. Trust me on this.

PS> if you want spoilers, PM me. I don't want to see this movie ruined for ANYONE!!!

Yeah Man they want Cruise as Stark... I could SO see that

TOM Cruise? huh... I always figured Stark to be... older... and a more haunted man. Then again, seeing his performance in The Last Samurai seemed encouraging... hey, he gets to do the whole "demon in a bottle" act again :D

I wonder if there's ANY chance we'll get a glimpse at Spider-Man's symbiote suit...

I can't wait to see Spidey 2! Never was big into the comics but the first one was a blast... besides, it's a Sam Rami film, ie = solid entertainment.

Iron Man... boy, I hope that one turns out well. That's like the only comic hero I've ever dug... or his suit at least. They MUST ge the suit right!!! I hope to God it doesn't look like that narsty Marvel Ultimates one... interesting suit... but not Iron Man, IMO.

Heh... I've met Marvel's Ralph Macchio at a comic convention back when I was writing an indie. Very, very cool guy. You're really lucky to have him as a family friend! Go use that to get a job at Marvel!

He told me quite a bit about pages and pages of letters he'd gotten from kids who saw his name in the Bullpen and wrote asking him questions about the Crane Kick and Miyagi. :lol:

Glad to hear the movie rocks. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the review, Zeta.

He told me quite a bit about pages and pages of letters he'd gotten from kids who saw his name in the Bullpen and wrote asking him questions about the Crane Kick and Miyagi. :lol:

You know, this all started as an office joke that spiraled out of contol?

Eventually, Marvel is going to start an official investigation about all this and then have a press release or something. It's all quite silly... but funny as hell. I was in his office and he had two letters framed. One saying "I loved you in the Karate Kid movies! Can I have an autographed picture?" Next to it was the angry response letter after they got his autographed picture. :lol:

Toby has Peter Parker to a T... he's a dork. But yeah, I felt the acting was better this time. The actors have their roles nailed down.

As for Spidey being a smart-ass... he gets in a few great lines.

Quick fact: there's a scene where Peter throws out the Spidey suit. (not a spoiler since it's in every TV spot I've seen). For this scene, Raimi requested a page from one of the Spidey books. The way to suit is laying in the can is 100% accurate to how it looks in the comic book.

I have a feeling that ironman is gonna be like the rocketeer. But dang, I wonder if jennifer gardner is gonna play elektra again for the Elecktra movie. Good stuff, I can't wait for Spidey 2 to come out! :p:D:lol:

I have a feeling that ironman is gonna be like the rocketeer. But dang, I wonder if jennifer gardner is gonna play elektra again for the Elecktra movie. Good stuff, I can't wait for Spidey 2 to come out! :p:D:lol:

yep, she sure is!!! i think they were waiting for Alias to wrap for the Elektra movie to get going....

I have a feeling that ironman is gonna be like the rocketeer. But dang, I wonder if jennifer gardner is gonna play elektra again for the Elecktra movie. Good stuff, I can't wait for Spidey 2 to come out!  :p  :D  :lol:

yep, she sure is!!! i think they were waiting for Alias to wrap for the Elektra movie to get going....

There was that and I think they wanted to wait to see how their main female super hero rival would be stacking up... meaning Catwoman...

I don't think Marvel has much to fear in that...

:lol:

they're also in the works of getting Dare Devil 2.

Now how are they going to do that When Arsefleck said he dont want to do Bang Bang Shoot Em up filcks no more!!!?!? <_<

Well, consider if you will how the Batman movie franchise stopped when Keaton didn't want to do a third film...

Except it didn't...

Any future Hulk movie would have the same problem, with Bana distinctly unimpressed in doing it again.

Cyc

I have a feeling that ironman is gonna be like the rocketeer. But dang, I wonder if jennifer gardner is gonna play elektra again for the Elecktra movie. Good stuff, I can't wait for Spidey 2 to come out!  :p  :D  :lol:

There was that and I think they wanted to wait to see how their main female super hero rival would be stacking up... meaning Catwoman...

Elektra the movie is currently filming here in Vancouver :)

Plus the Catwoman project spent about a week in my area filming. I now know exactly why it's called the Midnight Sun light...

EDIT:

I am very eager to see a sequel or two for Daredevil. Ben Affleck, for all the hate he seems to get, perfectly nailed that role. The writing and dialog were much, much better than any other comic book movie to date, and I really appreciated the darker tone to the movie. The darkness fit the character very well. I personally rate DD as the better movie when compared with Spider-Man 1.

Edited by CoryHolmes

What's wrong with Rocketeer? For a movie that barely registered as a blip on the cinematic radar, I thought it was a wonderfully done film. Of course, Iron Man would have to be much, much darker...

I think Timothy Dalton would of been the Perfect Tony Stark if he was 10-15 years Younger.

Actually... he still could be an older Stark... thereby giving the filmmakers an excuse to introduce Jim Rhodes as... WAR MACHINE!!! :wub:

Have you guys seen Pierce Brosnan with a mustache? He's old enough to be Stark now. I don't want a "young Stark" like in the reinvented comics.

But all this talk of superheroes and nothing of Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins???

And they're currently casting a new Superman which may begin production by the end of this year!

But back to Spiderman. I sure hope Spidey ditches Mary Jane and they can find a new love interest...like Felicia Hardy! I just can't stand Kirsten Dunst.

I think Timothy Dalton would of been the Perfect Tony Stark if he was 10-15 years Younger.

Actually... he still could be an older Stark... thereby giving the filmmakers an excuse to introduce Jim Rhodes as... WAR MACHINE!!! :wub:

Have you guys seen Pierce Brosnan with a mustache? He's old enough to be Stark now. I don't want a "young Stark" like in the reinvented comics.

But all this talk of superheroes and nothing of Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins???

And they're currently casting a new Superman which may begin production by the end of this year!

But back to Spiderman. I sure hope Spidey ditches Mary Jane and they can find a new love interest...like Felicia Hardy! I just can't stand Kirsten Dunst.

as of now, Dunst doesn't want to do anymore Spidey films after #3... so there are a few things that'll happen:

1) They'll kill her off and move on to another love interest

2) They'll recast the role to someone else

3) She'll decide she still wants a sizable paycheck from Marvel/Sony and sign on for a few more sequels

as of now, Dunst doesn't want to do anymore Spidey films after #3... so there are a few things that'll happen:

1) They'll kill her off and move on to another love interest

2) They'll recast the role to someone else

3) She'll decide she still wants a sizable paycheck from Marvel/Sony and sign on for a few more sequels

see that's why I thought they should have made her Gwen Stacy instead and then made Jessica Biel Mary Jane. Would've been perfect... But then I bet they're gonna have to switch Toby also. He'll get tired of it soon enough... unless it keeps making the millions it does. :rolleyes:

Having not yet seen Spidey 2 I can speculate as to the villian or villians for Spidey 3. 1) Harry Osbourne as the new Green Goblin or Hobgoblin-- They seem to be setting this up based upon what we've seen in the trailers. Plus it would be a logical evolution for Harry's character, He's becomes a nut like his father

2) Doc Connors becomes the Lizard maybe a little far fetched in the movie universe they've set up.

3) Kraven the Hunter-- Lured by the attention of Spiderman, Big game hunter decides if he can tangle with the webhead

Sorry Carnage and Venom fans you can dream about them as much as you like, but I Doubt we'll ever see them in a movie.

Having not yet seen Spidey 2 I can speculate as to the villian or villians for Spidey 3. 1) Harry Osbourne as the new Green Goblin or Hobgoblin-- They seem to be setting this up based upon what we've seen in the trailers. Plus it would be a logical evolution for Harry's character, He's becomes a nut like his father

2) Doc Connors becomes the Lizard maybe a little far fetched in the movie universe they've set up.

3) Kraven the Hunter-- Lured by the attention of Spiderman, Big game hunter decides if he can tangle with the webhead

Sorry Carnage and Venom fans you can dream about them as much as you like, but I Doubt we'll ever see them in a movie.

well, bendis said he would never use them in his Ultimate spiderman books, but first Venom makes an appearance, and now Carnage has showed up. much better stories than in the regular marvel universe.

As far as old Tony vs. young Tony, marvel will go young, i think. the movies that they are making are more along the ultimate line, with young characters in modern times,as opposed to 1960's when they were created. did you really want to see college professor Peter Parker, and his Wife Mary Jane? Or for that matter, Scott Summers and Jean Grey with their 1 (Rachel Summers) or possibly 2 (Nathan Summers, AKA Cable) Children ?? by making the characters young in the films, it allows for trimming of uneccesary continuity (Gwen Stacy, anyone??). i would put money on a young Tony Stark for now.

Heh... I've met Marvel's Ralph Macchio at a comic convention back when I was writing an indie. Very, very cool guy.

The Karate Kid (Daniel-son) works at Marvel? :lol:

All things aside I can't wait for Spiderman 2 to hit the theaters. I don't care whether it's Venom, Lizard, or Rhino for the next major villian. At least the franchise seems in good hands. B))

I loved this song as a kid:

Spiderman, Spiderman,

Does whatever a spider can

Spins a web, any size,

Catches thieves just like flies

Look Out! Here comes the Spiderman.

Is he strong? Listen bud,

He’s got radioactive blood.

Can he swing from a thread

Take a look overhead

Hey, there There goes the Spiderman.

In the chill of night

At the scene of a crime

Like a streak of light

He arrives just in time.

Spiderman, Spiderman

Friendly neighborhood Spiderman

Wealth and fame

He’s ignored Action is his reward.

To him, life is a great big bang up

Whenever there’s a hang up You’ll find the Spider man.

Graham

I loved this song as a kid:

Spiderman, Spiderman,

Does whatever a spider can

Spins a web, any size,

Catches thieves just like flies

Look Out! Here comes the Spiderman.

Is he strong? Listen bud,

He’s got radioactive blood.

Can he swing from a thread

Take a look overhead

Hey, there There goes the Spiderman.

In the chill of night

At the scene of a crime

Like a streak of light

He arrives just in time.

Spiderman, Spiderman

Friendly neighborhood Spiderman

Wealth and fame

He’s ignored Action is his reward.

To him, life is a great big bang up

Whenever there’s a hang up You’ll find the Spider man.

Graham

:lol:

LOL!!!

Graham, they have a little old asian lady plucking away at a violin singing it... when peter walks by her, his face is priceless!

My favorite cover is The Ramones rendition.

Not to mention the Remix that's in the PSOne/DC versions.

I'm with you, JRock.

The Ramones version kills. And it's cool to hear it live on their greatest hits album. :)

I was actually pretty disappointed that it didn't get used on the soundtrack the first time around.