Toycom becomes Yamato USA

Reprinted from

Raving Toy Mania...

June 2004 - Toycom has announced that they are changing their name:

Exciting changes are happening at Toycom... or should we say YAMATO USA. That's right, Toycom is now YAMATO USA! How better to identify ourselves as a leading provider of Japanese pop culture in the form of high-quality, collectible figures then to take on the name of the birthplace of culture in Japan, the Yamato Peninsula.

As the first major event under our new banner, we invite you to come see our fresh, new look as YAMATO USA at the San Diego Comic Con. We will have a preview of our upcoming product, exclusive Comic Con merchandise, and a special guest appearance by manga artist Kia Asamiya (Dark Angel, Silent Mobius, Uncanny X-Men, Batman: Child of Dreams).

Reprinted from

Raving Toy Mania...

Exciting changes are happening at Toycom... or should we say YAMATO USA. That's right, Toycom is now YAMATO USA! How better to identify ourselves as a leading provider of Japanese pop culture in the form of high-quality, collectible figures then to take on the name of the birthplace of culture in Japan, the Yamato Peninsula.

As the first major event under our new banner, we invite you to come see our fresh, new look as YAMATO USA at the San Diego Comic Con. We will have a preview of our upcoming product, exclusive Comic Con merchandise, and a special guest appearance by manga artist Kia Asamiya (Dark Angel, Silent Mobius, Uncanny X-Men, Batman: Child of Dreams).

Hmmm.......Interesting.

So much for Yamato's "no interest in American market"

To me, this is exciting news only if it involves the distribution of macross toys in the US. If not then it means nothing to me. :p:D:lol:

Reprinted from

Raving Toy Mania...

Hmmm.......Interesting.

[German guy from "Laugh-In"] Verrrry Interestink...But vat does it mean fur mein Valkyries?[/German guy from "Laugh-In"]

To me, this is exciting news only if it involves the distribution of macross toys in the US. If not then it means nothing to me. :p:D:lol:

I could have not said it better myself. Domestic Macross products at cheep prices. No more extra Hong Kong shipping fees. B))

Well... it definitely proves that they believe that the Yamato brand name carries more weight here in the US than Toycom, which is a lame generic name anyway.

As for Macross in the US... one can hope.

Well... it definitely proves that they believe that the Yamato brand name carries more weight here in the US than Toycom, which is a lame generic name anyway.

As for Macross in the US... one can hope.

yeah...sounds too much like toynami...i remember the other day when i was in this comic book shop this guy kept raving over the TOYNAMI escaflowne <_< i got sort of annoyed at the fact that the damn name of the company is on the friggin' box and he still got the company wrong <_<

actually i'm surprised this hasn't happend sooner...i guess all those mini figures will have the yamato name instead of the cheap sticker covering the company's name :lol:

eh a name change. big deal. what ever happened to that sun tour, suncom, sun-something or other?

Sunwards?

Hehehehehehe. I'm not keeping my hopes up until I see official news, for all I know this could be some kind of marketing ploy. <_<

I get the feeling that by this time next year Yamato may be pretty much done with Macross. :huh: They seem to be working hard on diversifying thier liscences.

That's OK with me though. I've just about got all of the Macross toys I can stand. I'm ready for some Votoms etc... B))

CM's is putting out some Dougram toys I hope if Yammie USA will export them to us. :)

Hmm, I wonder how long Harmony Gold will wait before they start to say they made a deal with Yamato to allow them to sell Macross related items in the US by making sure they use the "Robotech" name on them? And I wonder how long before they state they own Yamato USA?

By the way, I'm being facetious. :D

I think it's good news for the Macross fan if they finally get to sell Valkyries and such without HG threatening to sue everyone.

Actually, Yamato didn't "always" own Toycom, though they were working jointly on the Macross stuff. It wasn't until after the whole HG business came into play, Toycom's Ex/Toynami's current president (forget his name) sold Toycom to Yamato & started up Toynami, & rumor has it, signed a contract preventing Toycom from releasing any of the Macross stuff stateside with HG before leaving....

Of course whether adopting the name Yamato would change any of this is doubtful, but we can hope.

Actually, Yamato didn't "always" own Toycom, though they were working jointly on the Macross stuff. It wasn't until after the whole HG business came into play, Toycom's Ex/Toynami's current president (forget his name) sold Toycom to Yamato & started up Toynami, & rumor has it, signed a contract preventing Toycom from releasing any of the Macross stuff stateside with HG before leaving....

Of course whether adopting the name Yamato would change any of this is doubtful, but we can hope.

Woah if that's true, then Toynami's current president is a dick! :angry:

I thought it was rather slimy that he sold out and jumped in bed with HG after the Macross Plus toys got screwed over. <_<

No, its that Toycom never had a license with HG, was sold off to Yamato as a distribution arm, and Toynami was started up from the get go to have a license with HG, hence Robotech MPCs.

In the end, same difference as stated above.

Edited by Neova

Woah if that's true, then Toynami's current president is a dick! :angry:

I thought it was rather slimy that he sold out and jumped in bed with HG after the Macross Plus toys got screwed over. <_<

If that was true, then I am pretty sure Toycom has a very good cause of action to sue his ass off for breach of fiduciary duty.