SDF-1 DYRL 3D Build

bzwacks

9 hours ago, bzwacks said:

My friend, you have the right mindset. I can probably print a pair a main guns that have the ends burnt off. That would be great fun. My only problem is that I need more room to display it in it's lake setting...I need to get a bigger house!

You just need a kiddie pool and traps for around the edges.  Then some strings for the guy wires and plastic platter for the stage.  Some forced perspective with a YF-19 and you can recreate an amazing scene.

Test fitting at 90%. A lot of little pieces to still print. Painting has started, but a long ways to go. In an effort to get pieces to be as good as possible, some are being reprinted so that tolerances are tighter and closer. The "feet" have been remodeled and are being reprinted as we speak. The ones in this footage are a too small. Some thing you really don't notice until it's IRL. It's standing @ 48inches. That is the Yamato 1/3000 standing next to it. image.jpeg.40f969185056894fad9972dda3906aa8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

In love with this thing.  Are you going to sell/release the STLs?

Thanks! I'm not sure at this point if I will release with STL's publically. People have contacted me about the 3D work and I will be following up some of those avenues to see what comes of them. It's always a little of surprise when people show interest in my hobby ( Macross, not 3D...I do that professionally).

I learned that the Bandai Macross Quarter is roughly 1/1000...which is about what my build is around. So, I dug up my Quarter and grabbed the micro VF-25's and Koenig Monsters that come with it. Even though they are different series, they look at home on the ARMD. image.jpeg.f8075fec0436898b8bc744538ee8f9bf.jpeg

Edited by bzwacks

2 hours ago, bzwacks said:

I learned that the Bandai Macross Quarter is roughly 1/1000...which is about what my build is around. So, I dug up my Quarter and grabbed the micro VF-25's and Koenig Monsters that come with it. Even though they are different series, they look at home on the ARMD. image.jpeg.f8075fec0436898b8bc744538ee8f9bf.jpeg

They do scale nicely, what a fortunate occurrence.

Busy bee today. I've been in a holding pattern since I have a lot of things in the render farm for work and that has afforded me time to get to the final pieces of the SDF-1. I have always leaned toward the DRYL version of the SDF-1, but I prefer the Prometheus and the Daedalus from the TV version for the arms. So, why not have the best of both worlds!  About 70% complete on the modeling on the Prometheus.image.jpeg.cb0dae510cecf79e51476b3af00661b1.jpeg

On 3/8/2023 at 10:01 PM, bzwacks said:

Busy bee today. I've been in a holding pattern since I have a lot of things in the render farm for work and that has afforded me time to get to the final pieces of the SDF-1. I have always leaned toward the DRYL version of the SDF-1, but I prefer the Prometheus and the Daedalus from the TV version for the arms. So, why not have the best of both worlds!  About 70% complete on the modeling on the Prometheus.image.jpeg.cb0dae510cecf79e51476b3af00661b1.jpeg

I'm VERY happy to see that you're working on Daedalus and Prometheus options for the arms. For me, the DRYL-only arms are the one truly disappointing thing about the Yamato and Arcadia releases. I'm a much bigger fan of SDFM compared to DYRL and have always wanted a high-quality TV version of the SDF-1.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:55 AM, Anasazi37 said:

I'm VERY happy to see that you're working on Daedalus and Prometheus options for the arms. For me, the DRYL-only arms are the one truly disappointing thing about the Yamato and Arcadia releases. I'm a much bigger fan of SDFM compared to DYRL and have always wanted a high-quality TV version of the SDF-1.

Same here; that's why I ultimately 'bashed my own up from a Matchbox 1/3000.

On 3/8/2023 at 2:18 PM, bzwacks said:

Thanks! I'm not sure at this point if I will release with STL's publically. People have contacted me about the 3D work and I will be following up some of those avenues to see what comes of them. It's always a little of surprise when people show interest in my hobby ( Macross, not 3D...I do that professionally).

Wow looks great amazing work and keep us posted when or if you release the STL's publically

So, this is what I would call 97% complete. There is some greeble and weathering that needs to happen, but not much more. There may be a reprint of the middle part of the gun. Overall the guns feel a little short, but I'll determine that after I set it up in my collection.  There are other proportional fixes that are also in the que, but those will happen later. It will be the centerpiece and it may not bother me as much when it's surrounded all with a bunch of other mech. image.jpeg.b528e94fea800d42ed668c78eac9cce5.jpeg

You can ship this to Torrance this year right for the SDCON? We'll have battle of the Giant SDF-1 creations.
Unbelievable work on this-really one of the most amazing projects I've seen here

I just have to ask...what is NEXT on your plate? Given it any thought?

9 hours ago, Shawn said:

You can ship this to Torrance this year right for the SDCON? We'll have battle of the Giant SDF-1 creations.
Unbelievable work on this-really one of the most amazing projects I've seen here

I just have to ask...what is NEXT on your plate? Given it any thought?

I would love to make it out to SDCON. I live on the eastcoast of the US unfortunately and I'll have to plan that trip by driving ( If I want to bring all of my homebrew creations with me ) I've only see a few other giant SDF-1 creations ( kids logic and the papercraft one come to mind) If you have images of others, please post them here. I would love to see them!

7 minutes ago, bzwacks said:

I've only see a few other giant SDF-1 creations ( kids logic and the papercraft one come to mind) If you have images of others, please post them here. I would love to see them!

Here's a 1/400 scale SDF-1 by Lionel Lum featured at SDC.

C9433032-5D68-4483-BF0E-2E2410D46F3E.jpeg.25b6d803bbb88162814bcf9e549a2dec.jpeg

7E82BE3A-9172-450D-8456-864CC63927D9.jpeg.237380ba3ebb9dfb0b2dfc126bc46335.jpeg

11 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Here's a 1/400 scale SDF-1 by Lionel Lum featured at SDC.

C9433032-5D68-4483-BF0E-2E2410D46F3E.jpeg.25b6d803bbb88162814bcf9e549a2dec.jpeg

7E82BE3A-9172-450D-8456-864CC63927D9.jpeg.237380ba3ebb9dfb0b2dfc126bc46335.jpeg

Well, that is humongous! I think that would have cost around $500-600 in just PLA alone. What material is this made of. I think my tally came in around $200 in PLA. Probably another $80 in paints.