What will Hasegawa do next?

KOG Water Dragon

1 hour ago, captain america said:

I'm happy to see new plastic kits being made of these classic designs like the Q-Rau, though one aspect I think Hasegawa really fumbles the ball in is surface detailing. Zentraedi weapons are (based on the information gleaned from watching the series) very old and seemingly crude but very reliable. The new movie Q-Rau plamo utterly fails to depict that. The missile hatches, sensor blobs and "greebly" bits all look like modern manufacturing: neat and clean. I believe something more akin to Soviet-era aircraft would be more fitting (buckled and ill-fitting panels, crude rivets, etc.) But I guess for the price, they have to cut corners somewhere.

I wonder if there could be a difference in appearance based on whether it is a Zentran or Meltran caft?

4 hours ago, captain america said:

I'm happy to see new plastic kits being made of these classic designs like the Q-Rau, though one aspect I think Hasegawa really fumbles the ball in is surface detailing. Zentraedi weapons are (based on the information gleaned from watching the series) very old and seemingly crude but very reliable. The new movie Q-Rau plamo utterly fails to depict that. The missile hatches, sensor blobs and "greebly" bits all look like modern manufacturing: neat and clean. I believe something more akin to Soviet-era aircraft would be more fitting (buckled and ill-fitting panels, crude rivets, etc.) But I guess for the price, they have to cut corners somewhere.

I felt that way about the tv version, but the movie ones look shiny and clean. Even the meltrandi ships have a newer look. Maybe it’s playing off to to old tropes about women keeping things neat and clean versus men just leaving debris on the floor like the bridge that still had broken glass.

15 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

5E84D8B5-02BE-4F22-AFAE-D6B91A92BEC3.jpeg.4fe2312e632856ccaf5fcb733c657f2c.jpeg

Which reminds me, how difficult would it be to convert the Q-Rau to a Q-Rare/Rhea? I imagine it'd "just" be a matter of replacement parts for the forearm cannons and a new backpack upper shell with a rail for a shoulder-mounted cannon., but there might be more going on I don't recognize at a glance. I want to say the proportions are different, too, maybe the backpack as a whole is smaller on the Rare/Rhea...?

(EDIT: Hm, yeah, seems the backpack has way more going on than I remembered. Fuel tanks as well, accent details around the missile launchers, and definitely seems it's smaller overall, bottoming out at the top of the thighs rather than at the knees.)

Also, that version of the SVF-41 Black Aces is 1/48 scale, correct?

Edited by kajnrig

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Which reminds me, how difficult would it be to convert the Q-Rau to a Q-Rare/Rhea? I imagine it'd "just" be a matter of replacement parts for the forearm cannons and a new backpack upper shell with a rail for a shoulder-mounted cannon., but there might be more going on I don't recognize at a glance. I want to say the proportions are different, too, maybe the backpack as a whole is smaller on the Rare/Rhea...?

(EDIT: Hm, yeah, seems the backpack has way more going on than I remembered. Fuel tanks as well, accent details around the missile launchers, and definitely seems it's smaller overall, bottoming out at the top of the thighs rather than at the knees.)

IMG_2221.jpeg.64fe29adc520e974ec8459f509a0ecb4.jpegIMG_2179.jpeg.99cb0d612df31d192d0f31e1d77f264b.jpegIMG_2178.gif.c99164a1a43894b3964c187dcb06cbb5.gifThere’s really a lot of differences going on with these. The tv one would be easiest, but would barely be using the base kit if it could use any due to certain surface details that would need to be added and the tv version is a bit thicker as well. The Frontier version is the other way around and much thinner longer in the limbs and also has very different surface details.

I would however be happy if it gets made into a kit either in 1/72 scale by hasegawa or 1/100 scale by Bandai. I have a couple of the action figures at home ad had fun with those even though they got a bit loose in the upper legs

3 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

I gather this is the identical mold since 2001? 

2002, but yes, looks to be for the most part, except for the updated hips that first showed up in IIRC the Armored VF-1J.

1 minute ago, tekering said:

I've never built a Hasegawa Battroid.  Are they really so poorly articulated? 🤨

They're lookers, but yes, they're rather limited in articulation. That said, IIRC it's a little bit better than what's depicted here, and what's depicted here doesn't do the kit any favors. 

Looking at the art work, it's much more believable thinking of a humanoid figure in the more squat, wider suit, rather than Frontier's taller thinner version, even though the Frontier version does look better to me. That one, the legs look wider set rather than in-line with the upper body, which makes it harder to think of the pilot's legs going into the upper thighs.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

hs231252.jpg

I've never built a Hasegawa Battroid.  Are they really so poorly articulated? 🤨

It’s not the worst articulation, but definitely needs some more updating. The plamax one by MaxFactory looks like it will be way more fun and less frustrating. They haven’t shown movie editions of the battroid, but they’re probably on the way since they do have the movie editions of the fighters and have shown plans for them. That’s really the only reason I haven’t bothered with this Max type. I’m basically waiting to see how the Plamax battroid turns out. Hasegawa usually pumps out these kits regularly, so even if the Plamax doesn’t live up to the hype getting one of these Max 1-S kits won’t be difficult 

On 10/8/2023 at 8:36 PM, kajnrig said:

Yes, that’s the artwork for the 1/48 version. One of my favorite kits to collect! I’ll probably never build them all, but I might have to get one more…

22 minutes ago, SteveTheFish said:

Thanks for the info, Big S. I was wondering what improvements/differences there are with the original Battroid kit. I've never built one, but am currently working on the Armored Battroid.

Have fun and make sure to post some pics in the work shop section 

12 hours ago, Thom said:

Looking at the art work, it's much more believable thinking of a humanoid figure in the more squat, wider suit, rather than Frontier's taller thinner version, even though the Frontier version does look better to me. That one, the legs look wider set rather than in-line with the upper body, which makes it harder to think of the pilot's legs going into the upper thighs.

I think the taller one in frontier may have been due to an abnormally tall pilot. Not sure if it was designed to originally fit taller pilots like Klan Klang and the taller male pilots as well as the standard sized females. I do remember an episode where some of the dudes hijacked them

21 hours ago, Big s said:

It may have the updated waist, but it looks the same 

20 hours ago, kajnrig said:

2002, but yes, looks to be for the most part, except for the updated hips that first showed up in IIRC the Armored VF-1J.

I only built the original release without SP now like 21 years ago (LOL, so long ago), and haven't had any joints issues that needed strengthening. 

Interesting, I wonder if it impacted those with the weight of the SP. 

5 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

I only built the original release without SP now like 21 years ago (LOL, so long ago), and haven't had any joints issues that needed strengthening. 

Interesting, I wonder if it impacted those with the weight of the SP. 

mine started out a bit loose. But I think the joint issues comment was more about lack of articulation. The new joints in the hip and waist add a slight bit of movement, but unless the wings are moved out of the way the intakes get kinda blocked. In my old one the joint for the hip would sometimes pop out and then that would be awkward with the intake assembly around that area. And then there was a one when it popped the seam there and it kinda felt like a bit of a mess. I found it slumped on a shelf with an old man hip injury. Had to reassemble it and repaint that area and made sure to use a stand after that. Haven’t had any issues after that since it got boxed up during the move

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...