Help Me Choose My VF-1S

VE Telus

Which is the better display piece? Which would you go for?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better display piece? Which would you go for?

• Yamato 1/60 VF-1S Roy Focker with Strike Armour
    • Yamata 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru Ichijo with Super/Strike Armour

Recently, you've seen a deluge of posts from me looking for reviews, pictures, and links to the whole Macross package. I've considered swapping heads, trading armour, Robotech (I know, god forbid), the Bandai pieces ...

... and it now all comes down to this.

Between the 1/60 Strike VF-1S Roy and the 1/48 Strike VF-1S Hikaru, I am torn between these two. On the one hand, the 1/60 version has diecast, and the price is an affordable one at $85 US. On the other hand, the 1/48 version looks rather imposing (from the other thread, thanks for those pictures, folks!), but the price after getting the fast pack is a staggering $193 US, when all is said and done.

Dilemma.

For me, I must admit, the extras on the 1/48 are a welcome touch, but things like the movable flaps on the wings, perfect transformation, and the hidden radar will be lost and forgotten when displayed in robot mode. I do, however, extremely like the red stripe, and the hands being a part of the main body (instead of being attached) are great.

The 1/60 has a lot going for it too, for a toy of a good, decent size that is neither too big or too small. Head also doesn't have that gap between the mouth so many people say detract from an otherwise perfect head, and at $85, I could easily get another 1/60 to start a decent collection.

This will be my FIRST valkyrie. I only have the funds to pursue one, and be it the 1/60 Strike VF-1S or the 1/48 version, they will spend their entire life as a battroid inside my shelf after being freed from their box. Which one, in your opinion, is the better choice? Why or why not?

PS: How does the diecast content compare between the two? I like my toys to have a substantial "weighty" feel for their size. Any thoughts?

Edited by VE Telus

OMG, are you serious? you'd pick a 1/60 over a 1/48 if someone said it was better? Dang, you gots ta be kidding me! 1/48 hands down!!! no way should you get the 1/60 over the 1/48. This is only possible if you can't afford it, but only if you can't afford it. There should not be any other reasons! 1/48 because it's bigger, no removable legs, more detailed, more posable, more beautiful, just plain more of everything. Every penny you'll spend on a 1/48 will be worth it, trust me. So 1/48 is my final answer. :p:D:lol:

If it were the VF-1J instead, I'd say go for the 1/60 and forget about the awkward proportions of the 1/48. But when it comes to the VF-1S, the choice is a bit tougher because te 1/60's head sculpt is miles behind the 1/48's, even with the thoughtless seam line. If your absolute favorite is indeed the VF-1S, then I'd suggest saving up for the 1/48. Then be prepared to used a little sandpaper and elbow grease to tackle the seam if you're 'lucky' enough to get a specimen that wasn't put together A-OK.

For the record, I still think the 1/60s still look better in battroid mode compared to the phat-chested 1/48s with their scrawny arms. 1/48s look best in fighter or gerwalk modes, especially with the FAST Packs attached, but the nonsensical airbrake and featureless radar are best kept hidden away.

Money is tight? Then I'll say 1/60. It's got that heavy diecast feel because it has more diecast. I also prefer the canopy of the 1/60 over the 1/48. (IMO looks better in fighter mode too but this is a Battloid thread...)

Two things to watch for in the 1/60:

a) The arms won't swing up over the chestpiece without dislodging it without modification to the shoulder polycap.

b) Some people find the legs to be floppy and hard to stand in battloid.

Display piece? 1/48 if you've got the money. Does not feel "weighty" like the 1/60 does. Watch out for the backpack hinge. If you don't follow the transformation instructions correctly you may end up breaking your $200+ toy.

Meh 1/48 Im telling you after Soze's prices its only 165 for fast packs and then all it is shipping. I dont think it will cost 40 dollars to Vancouver Canada.

I had two 1/60 VF-1A and teh VF-1S and i have to say I was not impressed. There is a little hook thing that keeps the chest plate locked in fighter that snapped off after showing transformation to a friend. No amount of super glue can fix that. I also broke the hinge on the backpack of the 1/48 luckily super glue and Zip kicker are my best modeling friends so in less than two seconds it was fixed.

aside from problems of breaking things; bigger is always better. It would be like saying "which should I get the MPC Optimus or the Reissue G1 optimus" well duh obvioulsy you wait patiently another month and you go buy the MPC optimus.

Even though I´m bias towards the 1/60 line (even though I own a couple 1/48s) I assume from your post you´ll buy either toy for display purposes only (in Battroid mode) so you should really go for the 1/48 which is essentially a display piece with lots of playability.

You know, for the price you listed, you could buy 2 1/60s with Strike Armor so you can have both Roy and Hikaru. If you like the 1/60s, I would buy VF-1S Strike Roy and wait wait wait then buy a Super VF-1J Hikaru with GBP-S Armor Kit. You can swap the FB and GBP Armor kit around for posing.

See pictures here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...t=ST&f=4&t=4227

Personally, I ended up buying both VF-1S w/FP and VF-1J Super in 1/48 for posing, playing and displaying.

Once you go 48, its already to late!

Are you guys NUTS!!!..................................Go with the 1/60...............................Yeah right!!!! The 1/48 is the coolest Valk design PERIOD!!! Whether for display or play. :blink:

Edited by Rune

In my view, whether you buy a 1/60 or a 1/48 1S is irrelevant since you have the funds to go for either. Pricing isn't an issue and you already know of the features for each.

The big question that you should ask is this: Do you want to expand on your collection? Consider the future funding, display areas available, and the availability of other Macross mecha in the line you choose.

If you intend to only get one or two Macross toy, then 1/48 is the way to go -- you should get the best quality for your money. However, if you are interested in getting more than a few Macross toys, the 1/60 line may be better overall.

1/48 has so far been limited to the basic VF-1 chassis; specialized units such as the 1D, Super Ostrich and Elintseeker are not announced for 1/48 and IMO unlikely to be so. The 1/60 line has the selection there for you already, if you intend to expand.

1/48 is a great toy but it eats up display space. If you have limited space to display you may end up getting a few only. The 1/60 has an advantage there, in that you can display more per square foot.

If you are interested in getting Destroids and enemy Mecha, then 1/60 is at this time the only line that is likely to come out with any; at 1/48, Zentran and Meltran gets a bit unwieldy. Again, the 1/60 scale has an advantage here.

It may seem that I am biased for the 1/60 scale, and I am; I currently own 3 Valks, and I intend to get at least 1 GBP and 1 Tomahawk if not more, when and if they appear. Display space is a major concern for me because I have limited space. Affordability and pricing are also factors which prompts me to favor 1/60 over 1/48.

Get the 1/48. You won't regret it.

WARNING: Buy it & you'll be a 1/48 addict!!! :wacko:

If it's your first one, and you don't want to lay down the cash for a 1/48 with the FAST pack attachments, then by all means get the 1/60. Tehy're still VERY cool by every metric you want to judge them by, and you won't be disapointed.

However, if you're set on getting one and only one, I say shell out the cash for the 1/48. As great as the 1/60s are, the 1/48 is just an entirely different beast altogether. While it's a little pricey, nothing else compares IMHO. You'll get over the sticker shock when you pull it out of the box and get it into your hands. Trust me.

no offense to you ve but who would even think about asking this question

J.J.

It appears the voice is loud and clear. Thanks all, for suggesting reasons why or why not! Lynx7725 made an extremely important point about whether or not to continue the line, which really seals the deal for me. For all intents and purposes, this will be my first and last valkyrie (unless something new and super cool comes along), and I do, in fact, have the shelf space for one.

PS: 4 people like the 1/60! Aha!

PPS: Going 1/48 on this one. Now to take a deep breath and to submit the order. Thanks everyone!

Choose the 1/48 man....you cant go wrong with that one. Once you hold it in your hands, freshly removed from its box....you will know what i mean. The 1/48 is the BEST Veritech ever made :)

-Jin

PS. B)) hehehe..i know its a Valkyrie :lol:

:angry: If you know it's a Valkyrie, why the hell do you call it a "Veritech" ? <_< :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_<

Choose the 1/48 man....you cant go wrong with that one. Once you hold it in your hands, freshly removed from its box....you will know what i mean. The 1/48 is the BEST Veritech ever made :)

-Jin

PS.  B)) hehehe..i know its a Valkyrie  :lol:

:angry: If you know it's a Valkyrie, why the hell do you call it a "Veritech" ? <_<:ph34r:<_<:ph34r:<_<

Maybe he doesn't care.

I voted for the 1/48 Hikaru 1S w/FAST packs. I just got my FAST packs today and slapped 'em on my Hikaru 1S. It already looked great, but now it's like 20 times as cool looking with the Strike armor. My only gripe is that the FAST packs are pretty heavy which made posing the valk a real exercise in frustration. I ended up HAVING to put him in a spread-eagle action stance in order to support the weight of the packs. Took me about 30 minutes to find a pose that looked good and could support the weight of the FAST packs without having to lean the valk up against something.

I expected this to be 1/48 scale (Roy vs Hikaru).

1/60's dont compare with features and they don't compare in (high) price, either. Apples and oranges.

Think of it this way... u can likely get 2 - 1/60 Super/Strike Valkyries for teh price of the 1/48 and almost another with the price of the 1/48 FAST Packs.

Having possessed both at some point (I used to own the 1/60 strike and now I have the 1/48) I can say that both are good choices.. but I never thought the 1/48 would be as cool as it is until I finally laid a hand on one.

Both make great display pieces and my 1/60 wasn't even really that floppy, but if you get one and one only (or just want your first piece of Macross to be a memorable one) get a 1/48. Problems people talk about are sparse (my Hikaru 1/48 has no problems at all). I WOULD reccomend getting a newer one (Hikaru, Roy re-ish, 1J) and avoid the older A models which may be more problematic (or not, people love those too)

Go order from Kevin at Valkyrie Exchange (or one of the many other reliable dealers here)... They'll get it to you fast and safe. Join us.... come into the light... buy a valkyrie and feel like a kid all over again! :D

I don't know why people keep mentioning the detachable legs on the 1/60 when the guy said it's going to be a display piece after its first transformation. Besides, the detachable legs are no more inaccurate relative to the "official real-world" leg transformation than the 1/48's internal swing bar.

That said, given the parameters, I'd go for the 1/48 for all the reasons stated above and with the caveat about the seam line. The 1/48's posability makes the toy capable of very lifelike action poses. I'd add (in case no one else has) that I prefer the knees and leg swivel on the 1/48 to the 1/60.

It appears the voice is loud and clear. Thanks all, for suggesting reasons why or why not!

PPS: Going 1/48 on this one. Now to take a deep breath and to submit the order. Thanks everyone!

Congratulations on your choice...! ( there is, BTW, nothing fundmentally wrong with 1/60s, its just the 1/48 is several notches up the scale! I was completely blown away by mine, and was much more impressed with it than I expected to be. The "head seam" issue is really blown out of proportion... )

Now that you've put your money where your heart is, why not invest a few more bucks in a set of Takatoys excellent 1/48 sticker sets? They're a bit more work - you have to cut them out yourself - but the resultes are well worth it! B))

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Like so many have already said, the 1/48 VF-1S is the way to go. You won't be disappointed. If cost is the only issue, it's well worth saving for.

I WOULD reccomend getting a newer one (Hikaru, Roy re-ish, 1J) and avoid the older A models which may be more problematic (or not, people love those too)

Don't forget, the 1A Hikaru has also undergone revisions like the Roy 1S and the Max and Low-vis 1As didn't have design issues to begin with (though good luck finding a low-vis for under $150 at this point if you can find one at all).

Edited by Draykov