I know people have said that the villain wasn't necessary in this movie but I just heard this film summed up well.

"This is a film in which there is no villain. This is a film in which it's just a lot of things that are wrong." And not as a critique of the movie but the premise of it isn't about a villain but about things that don't go right and actions have consequences.

They are certainly central to the plot (it is a Captain America movie) - but based on the cast of characters I enjoy saying "Avengers 2.5", especially since the other characters are much more than cameos.

-b.

Avengers 2.5 was epic.

Not without it's flaws, but damn good.

-b.

Question:

Ross gave Tony 36 hours to find and capture Cap, Falcon, and Winter Soldier. How was he able to fly to New York, pick up Spidey, make a new suit for him, and fly back to Germany with less than 12 hours before Ross' deadline?

Quinjet.

Question:

Ross gave Tony 36 hours to find and capture Cap, Falcon, and Winter Soldier. How was he able to fly to New York, pick up Spidey, make a new suit for him, and fly back to Germany with less than 12 hours before Ross' deadline?

I'd say Tony has already had his eye on Parker for sometime now and was always planing on approaching and pitching the Avengers to him anyway, with the suit upgrade as an incentive. The events of the movie just gave Stark a reason to go to him sooner rather than later.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Not a big comic book fan, but I am enjoying the MCU.

The introduction of Black Panther and Spiderman were the best things I have seen in these movies yet!

In the comics...is Black Panther a member of the Avengers or does he work on his own?

The reason I am asking is because in the movie his father was all about reigning in the Avengers....but his own son is also a "superhero" and vows to avenge his father's murder, which sort of goes against the whole point of what his father died for....so I guess there was a conflict of interest there even before the attack that killed Black Panther's father...no? Or does Black Panther only operate in his own country? Finally, I assume this whole "putting the Avengers under the control of the world's governments" fizzles out? How does it play out in the comics?

Not a big comic book fan, but I am enjoying the MCU.

The introduction of Black Panther and Spiderman were the best things I have seen in these movies yet!

In the comics...is Black Panther a member of the Avengers or does he work on his own?

The reason I am asking is because in the movie his father was all about reigning in the Avengers....but his own son is also a "superhero" and vows to avenge his father's murder, which sort of goes against the whole point of what his father died for....so I guess there was a conflict of interest there even before the attack that killed Black Panther's father...no? Or does Black Panther only operate in his own country? Finally, I assume this whole "putting the Avengers under the control of the world's governments" fizzles out? How does it play out in the comics?

Darn near every hero in Marvel Comics has been an Avenger at some point (kinda tongue-in-cheek), including Black Panther (seriously).

In the comics and alluded to in the movies Black Panther traditionally sticks with Wakanda but does get involved in the larger Marvel universe as needed.

Not sure how Civil War ultimately played out in the comics - as those stories tend to do it got pretty convoluted.

Agree with other sentiments that Spider-Man's inclusion felt very tacked on, I'm glad that they did it but it's pretty obvious that this storyline was added after Marvel and Sony came to the agreement to bring Spidey into the larger Marvel movieverse.

-b.

Question:

Cause he's Tony Stark, he can bend reality like Cap's shield can bend the laws of physics... love that one.

This was a damn good movie, I think it pretty much made up for the crappy Age of Ultron, and pretty much in one move pulled Ant Man/Black Panther/Spidey into the MCU and integrated them nicely, all the while giving it a good emotional punch. (not like SvB, which basically had no real development) The ending was a really good payoff of the tension between Stark and Rogers ever since the Avengers.

They're on screen for three movies together at this point, and they play off of each other well. Would not be too surprised if those were the last two standing against Thanos at the end of Infinity Wars.

Question:

Answer. Easy. You're thinking about it too hard.

Another question:

Is Peggy's death a spoiler? AFAIK, she was already on her deathbed on the last Cap film.

It's still a spoiler.

How she managed to make it this long is anyone's guess.

Another question:

Is Peggy's death a spoiler? AFAIK, she was already on her deathbed on the last Cap film.

Yes!

In Winter Soldier, we know she's old and suffering from some sort of senility or dementia.

But even though we know she's close to death's door, we don't know exactly when she will die.

I'm sure Cap knows that too, but the death of a loved one is still gonna hit you no matter what.

Considering how her death greatly impacts Cap's decisions, I'd say it's still a spoiler that can screw up someone's enjoyment of the film.

Going into Civil War spoiler-free, I don't think most people expected to see Peggy's death play any part in the film.

Just because someone has dementia doesn't automatically mean they're gonna die soon. Often, it can become a long, drawn-out, draining process.

Regarding related spoilers, don't watch this week's Agents of SHIELD episode, if you haven't watched Civil War.

There's a reference to the above spoiler and what happened to Cap at the end of the movie.

Edited by Mog

Tony,

I’m glad you’re back at the compound; I don’t like the idea of you rattling around a mansion by yourself. We all need family. The Avengers are yours, maybe more so than mine. I’ve been on my own since I was 18. I never really fit in anywhere – even in the Army. My faith is in people, I guess. Individuals. And I’m happy to say for the most part, they haven’t let me down. Which is why I can’t let them down either. Locks can be replaced, but – maybe they shouldn’t.

I know I hurt you, Tony. I guess I thought... by not telling you about your parents I was sparing you, but… I can see now I was really sparing myself. I’m sorry. Hopefully one day you can understand.

I wish we agreed on the Accords, I really do. I know you were only doing what you believe in, and that’s all any of us can do, it’s all any of us should. So no matter what, I promise you: if you need us, if you need me, I’ll be there.

Steve

It's gotta be Bucky or Coulson, right?

Tons of dead bodies and ordered hits on those guys' resumes!

So, when Bucky and Cap are fighting all those guys in the stairwell, was I the only one thinking: <COUGH> Daredevil did it better!<COUGH>

Edited by Mog

It's gotta be Bucky or Coulson, right?

Tons of dead bodies and ordered hits on those guys' resumes!

So, when Bucky and Cap are fighting all those guys in the stairwell, was I the only one thinking: <COUGH> Daredevil did it better!<COUGH>

Lol! Yes!

So am I one of the only people on the planet that is Team Stark?

Chris

Lol! Yes!

Chris

Team Stark has some very solid and practical arguments to support their side (Heck, Team Stark's position in the MCU is infinitely stronger than their position in the original comic book mini-series).

BUT

Putting Wanda under house-arrest without her consent? Total DICK move.

HOWEVER,

Cap not telling Tony that his parents were killed by a brainwashed Hydra agent who just happens to be Cap's long-lost, thought-dead friend? An even bigger and massive dick move!

What Mog said. It also helps Tony's angst and attitude knowing what he went through. So I think he becomes easily relatable once we know all of those details.

One thing that wasn't explained was Maria Hill's and Nick Fury's whereabouts.

Hill was stuck listening to some ex-boyfriend of hers drone on and on to his kids about how he met their mother.

Fury was stuck on plane. With some snakes.

:D

Lol! Yes!

Chris

No, no you are not.

I've been Team Iron Man since the original comic Armor Wars in the '90s. And although Marvel has made him a near unlikable jerk in the comics, and played him as a d!ck (at times) in the MCU, Iron Man will still be my favorite comic book character.

Now, within the context of the movie, most of my personal sensibilities go towards Cap's point of view, but I understand and could absolutely see Iron Man's perspective - and maybe even agree if my experiences led me that way. Fan of the character or not.

-b.

See I was actually referring to Starks side in the movie, not necessarily as a character preference. I could see both sides, but really agree with Stark.

Chris