...Too soon?

In my opinion, this is one of the very best anime storylines and deserves its own thread. Last I've read, the fourth and last film in the series is slated to open in winter 2015. Of course, the project has been plagued with delays and so who knows...

Any rumors for the upcoming film? Upcoming products? Existing products that you'd like to share with fellow MWers? Let this thread be dedicated to the Rebuild of Evangelion and eventually, it's final chapter. ^_^

...Too soon?

In my opinion, this is one of the very best anime storylines and deserves its own thread. Last I've read, the fourth and last film in the series is slated to open in winter 2015. Of course, the project has been plagued with delays and so who knows...

Any rumors for the upcoming film? Upcoming products? Existing products that you'd like to share with fellow MWers? Let this thread be dedicated to the Rebuild of Evangelion and eventually, it's final chapter. ^_^

They blew it with 3.33. I'm not even sure I'm going to bother with the final film.

3.33 was 100% pure awesome, I don't know what you're talking about.

It completely ignores the first two movies (which were amazing). They might as well have not even have happened.

Edited by Duke Togo

I thought the series was pretty much perfect, and I also liked the alternate ending in EoE, so I never had any need for any further re-telling or re-working of the story. I didn't know there was controversy on the movie versions, but given the insanely drawn out release schedule I'm glad I skipped on 'em.

I thought the series was pretty much perfect, and I also liked the alternate ending in EoE, so I never had any need for any further re-telling or re-working of the story. I didn't know there was controversy on the movie versions, but given the insanely drawn out release schedule I'm glad I skipped on 'em.

From what I've gathered, EOE isn't an alternate ending to the TV series, but merely the external events that unfold, unlike in the TV series ending which was in Shinji's mind. The new films are actually excellent, though the events of the Human Instrumentality Project unfold differently. Very differently. Regardless, I highly suspect that it will all end up the same way, since that's what the whole story is about.

From what I've gathered, EOE isn't an alternate ending to the TV series, but merely the external events that unfold, unlike in the TV series ending which was in Shinji's mind. The new films are actually excellent, though the events of the Human Instrumentality Project unfold differently. Very differently. Regardless, I highly suspect that it will all end up the same way, since that's what the whole story is about.

Yeah, I have heard that interpretation, and depending on my mood when I watch it I agree with it to various degrees. But I was referring to the very different approach taken in EoE vs. what we get in the series. It is certainly different, and I like both. I just don't really need a third (or fourth counting the manga which I also haven't read).

It completely ignores the first two movies (which were amazing). They might as well have not even have happened.

Ignores? It takes place (a while) after the firat two movies, dorextly following the events of the first two movies.

As for EoE, it is the exact same events from the TV ending, budgeted!

I'm of several minds about 3.33; it did look really good visually, and had some of the best action of the series. but it took all the good stuff they had done in the last two film which made them better than the show and threw all of it out the window then gave you a massive flaming middle finger. But, that's more or less par for the course with EVA, massive trolling and frakk THE FANS moves are practically GAINAX tradmarks at thsi point.

I'm of several minds about 3.33; it did look really good visually, and had some of the best action of the series. but it took all the good stuff they had done in the last two film which made them better than the show and threw all of it out the window then gave you a massive flaming middle finger. But, that's more or less par for the course with EVA, massive trolling and frakk THE FANS moves are practically GAINAX tradmarks at thsi point.

^^^^

Agreed with completely. Besides, I read somewhere that Anno was trying to appeal to a newer, larger audience this time with the remakes; in other words he was just trying to cash in on a new generation of fans that would appreciate the visual splendor and the chaotic, almost senseless battle scenes. Some things are better left alone, Eva is one of them IMO...

Edited by myk

What? They tried to bring new fans and make some money out of their franchise instead of just pleasing some always whining so called fans and working for free?

Shame on them, shame on them!!

How dare they having a realistic approach on this?

Who's whining? You? We're just talking here, and I don't care what Anno decides to do with his story-I just like it the way it was. What do you mean by realistic? Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Are you in the right thread?

While this deals with the original series, the guys in this video (the first guy in particular) lay out the framework for Evangelion extremely well. The first guy knows more than he lets on about the esoteric symbolism in the series, definitely worth a watch.

Interesting stuff so far, but it'd be easier to follow without all the...

448.jpg

2.22 was so freaking awesome. I have to rewatch 3.33 to try to understand it better but it was definitely an attack on the senses. Hoping that they will end it with something amazing and profound but not too complicated and confusing.

Supposedly there's a new preview coming on the 5th or 6th. There's speculation on EvaGeeks as to what it will entail.

My favorite is the guy who said it would be the same exact preview as was at the end of 2.0...

That would make sense. That for me was easily the most jarring aspect of 3.33. They show some promising and interesting footage for a trailer at the end of 2.22, then they clearly decide "to hell with that" and give us what looks to be a completely different movie than the one they had originally planned.

In other words, there might be no plan and they are just completely making it up as they go along.

Also I didn't like the designs of a lot of the "aged" characters. Most didn't work for me.

Loved 2.22. Showed that 3.33 could be awesome. Instead they ignored the very interesting implications that 2.22 brought to the table to go for a “time skip” that was just weird for weird's sake. But of course them teen girls still look like teens even when they are pushing 30; talk about a cop out :lol:

• 5 months later...

The Evangelion manga finally came to an end after over 15 years, even going on between the end of the original series and into the Rebuild movies. After the new conclusion Sadamoto made for the story, the very last chapter had an unexpected development which may have huge implications if it wasn't just a shout out or some trolling. I highly suggest reading it before going further below.

The final issue was a flashback to 1998 during Yui Ikari's college days and her interactions with a female student planning to study abroad in England. No name was ever given until the very end, revealing that she is actually a 16 year old Mari Makinami Illustrious. The signature glasses she has been wearing was actually a parting gift from Yui. The whole extra chapter kept me thinking about the Curse of Eva, the look-alike found in Fuyutsuki's picture, and how familiar she was talking about Gendo in 3.0. Also, remember that since the manga was first conceived when the original series started, she shouldn't exist at all in this version. Prior to this, no attempts were made to shoehorn any concepts from the Rebuild movies. However again, it might be just a shout out as the ending Sadamoto made for the EoE segment would make this completely irrelevant to the overall plot. That is, unless there was something more to the original Instrumentality Project than anyone realized.

eai.png

Another time, another place.
An activation test of a decisive weapon was underway.
With its development and operational trials shrouded in complete
secrecy, the Another Number - Unit Null, suddenly breaks free of human
control and goes berserk.

For what purpose was Another Number - Unit Null created?

The story of an Evangelion's activation, rampage and howling in another world.

New CG short directed by Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed II), with mechanical designs by Atsushi Takeuchi (GITS, Yukikaze)!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/02/02/shinji-aramaki-to-helm-animator-expo-cg-short-evangelionanother-impact-confidential

• 2 months later...

So I'm definitely late to the party but I finally watched 1.11, 2.22 & 3.33 over the weekend.

While I enjoyed 1 & 2 the most, 3 on the other hand, I may have to re-watch again, it's definitely a different feel & look from the first two films.

Battle scenes are great, Mari.... Giggity!!!

Also, is 4.44 available yet? I've come this far I'd like to see how it ends.