1/48 dead?

RCB

It's been a few years since I've been able to devote much time to this hobby. I've been reading about Arcadia being new on the scene. I was curious if the 1/48 line is now completely dead,as in they've said they won't be making any more. I like the scale and it works great with exisiting scale accessories being a common model scale. I was surprised they did the VF-4, but even in 1/60 it doesn't look like I'd buy one for those types of prices. Anyhow, just curious. Looks like the case sadly. Looks like I'll be going back to models :D

Thanks! Well, I guess they go where the market is right?

No problem and yep.

That said, I don't remember (or know) exactly why the move back to 1/60 was made, most likely some really boring "more/better profit" explanation but I'm sure there is someone on the board that can keep me honest and/or provide way more insight.

-b.

No problem and yep.

That said, I don't remember (or know) exactly why the move back to 1/60 was made, most likely some really boring "more/better profit" explanation but I'm sure there is someone on the board that can keep me honest and/or provide way more insight.

-b.

While I wasn't really around much during the V2 1/60 resurgence, I have a pretty good idea of what it was - to keep everything in the same scale. Only the VF-1s were 1/48 - everything else was 1/60 (or 1/72, for those earlier Plus versions). The Zero releases were all 1/60; the (then-)new Plus releases were all 1/60; it only made sense to make the new update of the VF-1 1/60 again as well.

As to why those weren't made in 1/48 - likely due to size, really. A 1/48 VF-1 and a 1/60 YF-19 aren't far off in size; a 1/48 YF-19 would be considerably bigger. Hasegawa does make (or did make) a 1/48 YF-19 fighter mode kit, and it's big. Producing the later VFs in 1/48 leads to larger toys, which don't necessarily sell as well - they'll of course cost more, and people may find it harder to display them due to the size, and thus be less inclined to buy as many.

The 1/48 is dead as soon as the V2 1/60 were released. Anyway the 1/48 is too big to make it feasible in many ways, and it's one of their older generation toy engineering, poor materials and bad fitments, that they don't want you to remember now.

I'd have to agree with Vi-RS on this one.. Cant really see why they would ever want to go back to the 1/48's anyways.. I never owned any 1/48's myself, my cousin had a few and when put side by side against the v2 1/60's they were simply no match at all in terms of build quality, refinement and proportions..

The 1/48 line would require a complete re-design as did the v1 1/60 line got and I just couldn't see Arcadia ever wanting to commit the resources / funds required towards such a project..

And besides could you imagine how much larger our display cabinets would have to be in order to fit a whole new line of Valk's!?!? it'd be crazy shiz!

I'm also a HUGE fan of the 1/48 line to the point where I've begun trading my 1/60s for 1/48s. It just something about them, maybe it's a nostalgic feeling of playing with 1/55s from my youth. My son really likes the 1/48. To him they seem "larger than life", especially when playing with his Transformers.

The 1/48s have tha tshelf presence wow factor but the 1/60 v2 is superior in many ways...however i do wish my 1/60v2 were the size of the 1/48 sometime except for ....where i would put them. i only have 3 1/48 valks and display only one....and tha tone is painted up lik ea TF lol

Love my 1/48s. However I noticed on the ones I left the pilot in the cockpit, paint came off the seat and the pilots bum. Looks like the rubber reacts with the plastic causing it to melt the paint off. Doh!!! Still getting yamatoed and they aren't even around anymore.

Love my 1/48s. However I noticed on the ones I left the pilot in the cockpit, paint came off the seat and the pilots bum. Looks like the rubber reacts with the plastic causing it to melt the paint off. Doh!!! Still getting yamatoed and they aren't even around anymore.

That's not completely unheard. Flightpose stands come to mind. Looks like certain kinds of rubber always end up melting and eating paint :(

I still love my 1/48's I don't think they are something that Arcadia would want to forget. They were great toys for their time! They were a lot better than the V1 1/60's and anything else out there until the V2 1/60's came out. Compared to today's V2 1/60 they do look off such as the nosecone tip which hangs around the Knee level :0 but their contribution to the history of VF-1 toys should still be proud.

Edited by Valkyrie Magnus

I still love my 1/48's I don't think they are something that Arcadia would want to forget. They were great toys for their time! They were a lot better than the V1 1/60's and anything else out there until the V2 1/60's came out

Whole hearty agree, the 1/48s are what brought me back to collecting.

Personally I love the 1/48's in Fighter mode the best. I know the nosecone is awkward in battroid mode, but my V1 Low viz is staying there for now due to space. I also have my VF-1S Fokker and Hikaru VF-1J in the Urban camo and tv colored armor parts respectively. I think I bought my Low viz v2 and armor parts from >EXO< if I am correct. Love them all even though they are over exaggerated a bit lol. Oh and let me not forget about my Stealth with Super/Strike parts, one of my favorite paint schemes ever.

I lucked out during the fall of Yamato frenzy and scored a Chronicles Max BNIB for about $100, but could not bring it upon myself to fork out 300 plus on the Kakizaki chronicles exclusive.

I really never intended to start a 1/48 collection, but I found a way while Yamato was in between 1/60 v2 releases and they were being dumped for good prices. I don't regret any of the purchases I made in that line and probably be hard pressed to ever sell any of them. The 1/60 v2's do a lot of things better than the 1/48's, but when you see the sheer size of the the 48's it brings a tear to my eye lol.

Sold 99% of my Yamato 1/48 years ago, the only original one I kept was a VF-1A Low Viz (first version) and I also purchased a MIB Chronicle 1/48 VF-1A Max Exclusive recently (earlier this year) for around $ 100.

Truly the appeal of the 1/48 is the larger size and thinking about how many features can be packed into a model, but from a cost (purchase and shipping) and display or storage perspective the appeal starts to wane just a bit.

-b.

I own a handful of the V.2 1/60's (2 Max VF-1A's, 1 Hikaru VF-1S Strike) and while construction wise they are superior, especially the way the Arms lock in place during fighter mode and the hands are far better, I still prefer the 1/48 series and if ever (I know not gonna happen) a company like Arcadia decided to make a V.2 1/48 I'll save up the $$$ and find a way to make room for them. I like the longer nose in fighter mode and how the pilot does not look scrunched in his seat. I know many can live without the speed brake, nose cone or flaps... for me that made the 1/48 great.

When I finally have the free time I'll be using the resin kit I bought and make my 1/48 VF-1D. For me the VF-1 is 1/48 scale. Please note that I am not hating on the 1/60's what so ever, but in this case Bigger is Better! B))

I own a handful of the V.2 1/60's (2 Max VF-1A's, 1 Hikaru VF-1S Strike) and while construction wise they are superior, especially the way the Arms lock in place during fighter mode and the hands are far better, I still prefer the 1/48 series and if ever (I know not gonna happen) a company like Arcadia decided to make a V.2 1/48 I'll save up the $$$ and find a way to make room for them. I like the longer nose in fighter mode and how the pilot does not look scrunched in his seat. I know many can live without the speed brake, nose cone or flaps... for me that made the 1/48 great.

When I finally have the free time I'll be using the resin kit I bought and make my 1/48 VF-1D. For me the VF-1 is 1/48 scale. Please note that I am not hating on the 1/60's what so ever, but in this case Bigger is Better! B))

Was thinking of all of these "size" related things to say (in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way) but as I went thru them in my head I realized they were all very, very, very inappropriate. :lol:

I will say that if Arcadia were to do a revamped 1/48 and do some non-cannon schemes like members have customized (Minmay Guards, Blue Roses, Black Aces, etc.) then I'd eat all crow and buy in a heartbeat. I guess it's easy to say what I would or wouldn't buy without knowing details like price, but some popular non-cannon schemes would be hard to pass up.

-b.

They seem to be selling fairly briskly on the after market.

Price - they're relatively inexpensive. Anywhere from $ 100 to $ 200 gets you a 1/48 on Mandarake - this includes a Hikaru VF-1S or Low Viz v1. The most expensive one that I saw was a Chronicle Exclusive VF-1A.

And people still have a soft spot for them.

-b.

I should've purchased more of the 1/48s when they were on sale at HLJ many years ago. The best thing about them (IMO) is the fact that 1/48 is an established aircraft model scale.

Edited by Vifam7

I have only one 1/48 and that is Focker. I love the thing to death and the Stealth packs I got for him are the greatest. I really wish Arcadia would release the Stealth packs in 1/60...I would buy so many of THOSE it'd be embarrassing B))

I have only one 1/48 and that is Focker. I love the thing to death and the Stealth packs I got for him are the greatest. I really wish Arcadia would release the Stealth packs in 1/60...I would buy so many of THOSE it'd be embarrassing B))

Right! Would have loved Fast Packs for the Low Viz VF-1S Focker and if I owned a VF-1A Cavaliers for that as well. In 1/48th scale for either Low Viz would make me drool.

-b.

I started collecting macross when the 1/48 line started, then it died out, didn't realize it ended. Then came the 1/60 scale v2, didn't like that scale, so I ended up missing out a lot of stuff. For a VF-1 in 1/60 scale, the toy is a lot smaller than the 1/48 scale. I still love the 1/48 scale. I love the VF-1A and the J the best, because the head fits right into the fuselage.

I'm hoping Hasegawa will make 1/48 VE-1.