NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

Well when you say "other larger mecha franchises" you basically mean Gundam because very little else even compares to that beast and fewer series even get a single sequel let alone the many Macross has gotten.

Also not to pick on Mr. March but,

"Was having a discussion in the VF-2SS thread when an interesting idea struck me about the new Macross series (forgive if this was previously mentioned); what if the new Macross series were a parallel universe story like Macross II? It doesn't need to be set in the Macross II universe or be a sequel to Macross II in anyway; I'm saying the new Macross series could be ANOTHER parallel Macross universe. It's own thing. The new Macross series could be an alternate sequel to SDF Macross/DYRL? without the need to reference anything established after the original series. Or, it could be an alternate telling of the Macross mythos, where the only thing the new Macross series has in common with the original Macross is the SDF-1 and Valkyries."

This really sounds like you want a sequel to the original Macross that is not the ones you dislike. I mean there already was a sequel to the original Macross that wasn't in II's universe and that was Macross 7. I know you didn't like it but I'm sorry to say it is a big part of what shaped Macross what it is today. Frankly the worship for the original series is getting almost fetishistic and does not line up with what is actually going on with the desires of the Japanese fan base so expecting something else is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Edited by VF5SS

Well when you say "other larger mecha franchises" you basically mean Gundam because very little else even compares to that beast and fewer series even get a single sequel let alone the many Macross has gotten.

Also not to pick on Mr. March but,

This really sounds like you want a sequel to the original Macross that is not the ones you dislike. I mean there already was a sequel to the original Macross that wasn't in II's universe and that was Macross 7. I know you didn't like it but I'm sorry to say it is a big part of what shaped Macross what it is today. Frankly the worship for the original series is getting almost fetishistic and does not line up with what is actually going on with the desires of the Japanese fan base so expecting something else is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Considering even Kawamori is distancing himself from M7 perhaps the fetishism isn't exactly for SDFM but the other series....

The challenge for the producers now is to find sponsors for a mecha series when the industry is losing confidence in that type of show. BW would do better to do another OVA series or several instead. The time may not be suited to another TV show right now.

Considering even Kawamori is distancing himself from M7 perhaps the fetishism isn't exactly for SDFM but the other series....

I have no idea where this delusion is coming from considering that Frontier has the exact same setting as 7 and Zero has a lot in common with 7 as well.

The challenge for the producers now is to find sponsors for a mecha series when the industry is losing confidence in that type of show.

There's at least a half dozen mecha shows airing now with more on the way. It seems like confidence in that genre is swinging back these days.

Got the point re Global, sorry for being THAT forgetful.

He still could have had some fun as a young man - resulting in nothing permanent (it happened to Basara). But yeah, it would not be fun to watch as everyone knows nothing will come out of it, or else any winner will end up dead. So yeah - Global's youth means no triangle, no triangle means no Macross. You got it :)

(He can still be in a prequel in a supporting role, but that would be an obvious repeat of the Zero trick re Fokker, not worth it so... well too bad, I actually like Global).

Whoah there. Kawamori has done no such thing. He was not involved in FB7 because that was a commercial venture rather than a creative one. But he has not said or done anything that would indicate he is 'distancing himself from M7' overall.

The challenge for the producers now is to find sponsors for a mecha series when the industry is losing confidence in that type of show. BW would do better to do another OVA series or several instead. The time may not be suited to another TV show right now.

I disagree. An OVA series has, by its very nature, a more limited viewership and appeals to existing fans. A tv series gets much wider exposure and creates new fans. Given how much of a huge hit Frontier was, I think this is a good way to strike while the iron is still (relatively) hot as it were. To keep those new fans engaged and create yet newer ones. Remember that most newer fans monetize through soundtracks, cosplay and knick-knacks rather than the much smaller hardcore market that is mecha/toys.

For what its worth, given the pattern of Macross releases in the past, I was expecting an OVA announcement. The fact that we are, instead, getting a new TV series however is an unmistakable sign of how healthy the franchise is at the moment :-)

Knowing the differences between M7 Macross Frontier with regard how globalization works, is there any way to estimate how much of the 2008 + franchise sales (after Macross Frontier) corresponds to western fans?

Was having a discussion in the VF-2SS thread when an interesting idea struck me about the new Macross series (forgive if this was previously mentioned); what if the new Macross series were a parallel universe story like Macross II? It doesn't need to be set in the Macross II universe or be a sequel to Macross II in anyway; I'm saying the new Macross series could be ANOTHER parallel Macross universe. It's own thing. The new Macross series could be an alternate sequel to SDF Macross/DYRL? without the need to reference anything established after the original series. Or, it could be an alternate telling of the Macross mythos, where the only thing the new Macross series has in common with the original Macross is the SDF-1 and Valkyries. I know a reboot has already been mentioned, so I won't go into that (though a parallel universe could do that too).

I think a new parallel universe for Macross would allow much more creative freedom. It can be a re-evaluation of the franchise using modern sensibilities. In some ways a new Macross parallel universe would allow more possibilites, exploring different stories, different enemies, a different past/future history to describe the world, et cetera.

Kinda like a J.J Abrams Star Trek route?

Could work.

I'd actually want to see something that takes place during the huge gap that is 2013-2039. That's a whole almost 30 years that's only been given a few scant mentions in the Macross timeline.

Maybe that 30 year period was overall pretty boring?

Anyways, What I'd truly like to see is a really massive, long running, multi-generational epic with the running theme being Richard Bilrer and his quest to find Minmay and the Megaroad 01. It would be a huge, all encompassing odyssey spread over 200+ episodes, with an ever-changing cast and settings spread across every part of the galaxy and across a century or more of the macross timeline. We'd see everything there is to see related to Macross and the one driving force behind it all would be the search for the answer to the question "what happened to the Megaroad 01?"

And at the very end of the very last episode... nobody finds the Megaroad and we all continue to know absolutely nothing about what happened to them. and the post credit scene is just a 30 second clip of Kawamori smiling and laughing at the audience.

and the post credit scene is just a 30 second clip of Kawamori smiling and laughing at the audience.

...and yet we still continue to buy the extended edition of that :D

And at the very end of the very last episode... nobody finds the Megaroad and we all continue to know absolutely nothing about what happened to them. and the post credit scene is just a 30 second clip of Kawamori smiling and laughing at the audience.

Everyone would know these attitudes. As in this video where he is seen in minute 2.07 laughing while planning how to dissapear forever that Miss Macross winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMopTeQCK90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMopTeQCK90

It seems like, from a profit standpoint, redoing the original show would be relatively easy money. If most sales come from Soundtracks, etc... they could just EDM-up the old tracks (possibly with new performers) and monetize the eff out of that. They've already remixed them plenty of times the past thirty years. New covers could easily be done with whoever is hip/cool in Japan now. Considering the show takes place in 2009, modernizing the songs would make an awful lot of sense. I don't think they would or are going to, mind you.

Seems Macross the First is an alternate universe story already.......

Just another point of view of the same story, it's not necessary an alternate universe...

from the mouth of Producer Kawamori "it`s a parallel world"

Thanks for that info!

So alternate-universe-ish? :rolleyes:

Still better than Macross II! :p

Anyways.....makes sense...way too many things different in Macross the First to simply be a "re-telling"...both in terms of technology and events......

I see there is still a "M the first" manga like reboot hope floating in this thread....and what about a story based on another manga (I´m not sure if it´s a manga anyways)...it is..."Macross the Ride"...Let´s think about possibilities it may offer..races instead of battles..and customized valkyries from all over the previous Macross releases..to take advantage of released molds for toys .It would be funny and interesting to me..."Adrenaline fuel for valkyrie races and a bit of rock n roll"...

If this is indeed the case, does that not undermine his whole premise about all the media being dramatic points of view of the same historical events?? The guy needs to settle on what he wants! Either they are parallel worlds or they are dramatic interpretations of historical events.... :rolleyes:

If this is indeed the case, does that not undermine his whole premise about all the media being dramatic points of view of the same historical events?? The guy needs to settle on what he wants! Either they are parallel worlds or they are dramatic interpretations of historical events.... :rolleyes:

in a nutshell, he changed his mind. that is just what we heard when he did his question and answer session at the takarazuka macross museum event. tomorrow he may have a different explanation. but for now each and every macross story takes place in an independent parallel world.

Edited by Bariaburu Faita

Bariaburu Fighter hit the nail on the head. The Parallel World theory applies to ALL Macross according to Kawamori's current stance on the issue. Personally I think that this is just easier for him to explain than the 'WW2 documentary' explanation over and over again. Theres even a section about it in the extras of the new MacF Shudisuta BD box. Everything is cannon. And nothing is cannon.

On this parallel world think it is still 100% valid.

Yes...of course. The parallel world explanation is merely a device to shrug off inconsistencies between the shows. It's Macross's Grand Unified Theory!

However, the three main concepts of Macross will never change and can be expected to be played out in each animated series, including the next one. Thanks for posting the vid.

Yes...of course. The parallel world explanation is merely a device to shrug off inconsistencies between the shows. It's Macross's Grand Unified Theory!

However, the three main concepts of Macross will never change and can be expected to be played out in each animated series, including the next one. Thanks for posting the vid.

Actually, during the same Q&A session Producer Kawamori complained that the 3 pillars of Macross limited what he could do story wise. He wanted to get rid of one to be able to tell a new type of Macross story. He already did this once with the Musiculture.

B))

Actually, during the same Q&A session Producer Kawamori complained that the 3 pillars of Macross limited what he could do story wise. He wanted to get rid of one to be able to tell a new type of Macross story. He already did this once with the Musiculture.

Of the three pillars...the loss of any VF mecha on a heavily sponsored animated production would surely enrage the majority of long-time fans.....he can "experiment" all he wants with musicals that barely anyone outside (or inside?) of Japan are able to enjoy..... ;)

It's funny that he would "complain" about it.....I guess in a way he painted himself into his own "creative" corner, in terms of the animated shows........but if anyone can change "the pillars of Macross" it would be him and he would need to sell "the change" to his sponsors....namely Bandai....and how hard would it be to abandon a 30-year formula of success?

Edited by jvmacross

Of the three pillars...the loss of any VF mecha on a heavily sponsored animated production would surely enrage the majority of long-time fans.....he can "experiment" all he wants with musicals that barely anyone outside (or inside?) of Japan are able to enjoy..... ;)

Well, considering that Frontier created more CD sales than Valk sales, and that the shipping wars dominated the internet... which pillar would YOU cut?

Well, considering that Frontier created more CD sales than Valk sales, and that the shipping wars dominated the internet... which pillar would YOU cut?

YOU can't infer what my answer would be based on my post?.....sorry I can't possibly make it any simpler for you..... :rolleyes:

But anyway, how much more expensive is a Macross PT valk compared to a Macross CD?

Wow....so if the number of individual units of expensive Valks sold does not exceed that of individual CD sales......we should infer that VF and Mecha "pillar" should be eliminated from Macross?

Really? :wacko:

YOU can't infer what my answer would be based on my post?.....sorry I can't possibly make it any simpler for you..... :rolleyes:

But anyway, how much more expensive is a Macross PT valk compared to a Macross CD?

Wow....so if the number of individual units of expensive Valks sold does not exceed that of individual CD sales......we should infer that VF and Mecha "pillar" should be eliminated from Macross?

Really? :wacko:

The valkyrie toys are expensive to produce, and have a razor thin profit margin and sell in small quantities.

CDs are cheap to produce and have high profit margin and sell in huge quantities.

...and yet we still continue to buy the extended edition of that :D

The extended edition would be a whole Blu-Ray disc of him Laughing all Ming the Merciless stylee.

Kinda like a J.J Abrams Star Trek route?

Could work.

Not necessarily, but I suppose it would be somewhat similar. Abrams Trek was more a reboot with the same characters re-imagined. My thinking was more along the lines of new characters with no association to any other established casts in previous series telling a story. Many of the staples of the Macross franchise would be there, but everything else could be different, including things like the mythology and future-history stuff (like the Protoculture).

That is fantastic! That's EXACTLY what I was talking about. And here Kawamori is already thinking along those lines. Very exciting!

The valkyrie toys are expensive to produce, and have a razor thin profit margin and sell in small quantities.

I have never heard about companies with a business model like that and still doing it for years...is this just for fun? :blink: