What do you tell strangers when they come over?

Benson13

I agree with Jason and great post LowvViz! Clean presentation is everything. Everyone who has seen my collection immediately assumes that they're models. I haven't gotten "are these transformers?" or "you collect toys?!" BUT I have heard from my fiance's sister "you collect dolls?". She was referring to my 1/6 Hot Toys collection....

DSCF2840.jpg

hey plastik. Awesome display. Was wondering how the flightpose stands handle Frontier valks? After hearing those horror stories about paint transfer, i wanna hear your experience.

hey plastik. Awesome display. Was wondering how the flightpose stands handle Frontier valks? After hearing those horror stories about paint transfer, i wanna hear your experience.

I've only had them displayed on the flightpose stands for about 2 weeks but I've been checking them periodically. So far so good but I do worry about the paint so I deliberately place the tips on areas where there are no tampo markings

Nice display plastik. Ever worry about sunburn on the right there?

Nah I'm not worried. I have the window tinted with Gila tint which filters out 99% UV. It works pretty good. It lets some of the light through, keeps the room cool and maintains privacy.

20130731_220531_LLS.jpg

Guest davidwhangchoi

Plastic, the Macross stuff should be on top where it's easiest to see.

lol, too funny :) was thinking that too...

when i first saw superman on the left, i thought it was a special bizarro outfit with the reverse "S" then realized what it was..

Edited by davidwhangchoi

lol, too funny :) was thinking that too...

when i first saw superman on the left, i thought it was a special bizarro outfit with the reverse "S" then realized what it was..

I saw duplicates, then realized its a mirror. haha

Good display plastik. Nice balance of all three modes is shown there too. I would probably chuck in some Mac 7 mecha like a VF-11C and VF-17D for some variety. VF-17D in Gerwalk together with battroid mode.

How is your Cannon Fodder VF-171 holding up? (I heard these are risky to get because of a bad batch circulating)

For those who live in smaller space (cramped apartment) that is why I think Himetal should have continued. Sometimes you want a smaller high detailed toy for the desk or in a spot on a shelf where there is only so much room.

They were expensive but they looked good when viewed from the distance. I have a HiMetal on display all the time. It is a shame there was no GBP made for the VF-1. I bet a lot of people here would have evnetually collected this line if yamato offerings were it not priced so cheap in relation to it.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Probably many has bought the VF-1S Hi-Metal. I did too, any maybe I will buy more if the line was continued (not as ridiculously pricey limited edition with super parts sold separately). However, I maintain the point of view that it cannot compare with the 1/60V.2, asthetically.

The only thing that I really like about it is the way the arms unfold.

Oops, sorry, I thought this was the Hi-metal love thread. :lol:

Back to topic. I just tell people that I collect toys about 80's anime because only recently they are able to represent the 2d arts so well in 3d. And I don't usually pay attention to their remarks.

Edited by alchemo

The lighting really makes a difference. I've been meaning to get some for my cabinets as well as a 4th cabinet but I can never find the time to drive all the way out to get another.

Whenever my parents bring relatives over to my house to visit. They always give the relatives a tour of my entire house, much to my dismay. So inevitably they see my collection in my home office.

Then they go, "Oh! You collect Transformers." which I then I do a facepalm. I try to explain they aren't Transformers and that I like the designs and they provide me some outlet for creativity in the form of painting and weathering my collection and generally spending a good bit of personal time getting them to look the way they do rather than just buying it, taking it out of the box and sticking them in the display. I try to use my SDF-1 as a primary example of the work that goes into this stuff.

Some get it, some don't. The ones that don't, I kick out of the house. (not really)

Good display plastik. Nice balance of all three modes is shown there too. I would probably chuck in some Mac 7 mecha like a VF-11C and VF-17D for some variety. VF-17D in Gerwalk together with battroid mode.

How is your Cannon Fodder VF-171 holding up? (I heard these are risky to get because of a bad batch circulating)

Thanks LowViz! Yea I tried to spread the love for all the modes though I was definitely fighting the urge to use battroid to reclaim some of the shelf space. As for my VF-171, the triangles are perfect but I haven't transformed it nor do I dare to. I'm just going to throw on the armored parts and leave it in fighter mode forever.

• 4 weeks later...

fun thread, wish I'd seen it earlier.

So there are layers to this. People who have been friends for awhile sometimes notice a new toy in the toyroom or out in the living room if its big and significant, but mostly they dont notice because i have A LOT of toys.

new people come over and are usually blown away by the toy rooms. the kamen Riders confuse people, the Saint seiyas are 'Very shiney", The Super Sentai are "Why do you have power Ranger" the Transformers are "Look at the transformers, i remember those" and then... there's the Macross.

The macross chats are usually some variation on:

"oh wow, are those Robotechs? You have so many and these don't look like the show ones"

"well, they're Macross, which wa s apart of Robotech. the rest are the sequals to macross"

"I remember those, the Bike armour things! Do you have those?"

"No, no, that's not... well yes i have some, but they aren't in Macross."

"Sure they are. Theres The Rick Hunter stuff, then the boring tank one, then the cool one with them wandering around on bikes."

"that's Robotech. They took 3 seperate shows and combined them. In Japan, Macross had a whole different set of shows after it. The bike and tanks shows were their own things"

"Oh. Let's play video games or something that's not this"

Thats how a lot of stuff goes at any rate. Sometimes they ask about Price. Sometimes they ask to play with it. Mostly they just look for a minute then move on.

As to my wife: When we started she was a fantasy fan with a lil sci fi thrown in. we met ona Star Wars fan board, which we were both very active in, and quickly started dating, then got married. she takes an interest in what I get (Especially what it costs) but has a good memory for things. Recently she agreed to watch the Frontier movies with me, and has enjoyed them OK.

She did shock a co-worker when she passed his desk and saw a couple of Kamen Rider figuarts. She said she thought he should get the Double one in, sinc eit looked better than the decade he had on display. Apparently the coworkers looked at her gape-mouth for almost 10 seconds....

That's awesome Scream Man. I wish my wife had even the smallest interest in my Macross collection. She refuses to watch it because it's not in English. That typically starts the discussion on not everything that's awesome comes from America.

fun thread, wish I'd seen it earlier.

So there are layers to this. People who have been friends for awhile sometimes notice a new toy in the toyroom or out in the living room if its big and significant, but mostly they dont notice because i have A LOT of toys.

new people come over and are usually blown away by the toy rooms. the kamen Riders confuse people, the Saint seiyas are 'Very shiney", The Super Sentai are "Why do you have power Ranger" the Transformers are "Look at the transformers, i remember those" and then... there's the Macross.

The macross chats are usually some variation on:

"oh wow, are those Robotechs? You have so many and these don't look like the show ones"

"well, they're Macross, which wa s apart of Robotech. the rest are the sequals to macross"

"I remember those, the Bike armour things! Do you have those?"

"No, no, that's not... well yes i have some, but they aren't in Macross."

"Sure they are. Theres The Rick Hunter stuff, then the boring tank one, then the cool one with them wandering around on bikes."

"that's Robotech. They took 3 seperate shows and combined them. In Japan, Macross had a whole different set of shows after it. The bike and tanks shows were their own things"

"Oh. Let's play video games or something that's not this"

Thats how a lot of stuff goes at any rate. Sometimes they ask about Price. Sometimes they ask to play with it. Mostly they just look for a minute then move on.

As to my wife: When we started she was a fantasy fan with a lil sci fi thrown in. we met ona Star Wars fan board, which we were both very active in, and quickly started dating, then got married. she takes an interest in what I get (Especially what it costs) but has a good memory for things. Recently she agreed to watch the Frontier movies with me, and has enjoyed them OK.

She did shock a co-worker when she passed his desk and saw a couple of Kamen Rider figuarts. She said she thought he should get the Double one in, sinc eit looked better than the decade he had on display. Apparently the coworkers looked at her gape-mouth for almost 10 seconds....

LOL! I don't know why you even try... When ever someone says that to me I always just say "Yup! Robotech!" Then they ask me why I'm rolling my eyes to which I reply "allergies..."

at least you didn't have cousins in Korea who called your VF-1J a "Gundam":

LOL! I just showed my little sister a link to the 1/48 Angel Bird I ordered. She said "is that a gundam plane?"

then she had vague recollections of "some guy crying because a mei mei didn't like him and he ended up with a Lisa".

LOL! I just showed my little sister a link to the 1/48 Angel Bird I ordered. She said "is that a gundam plane?"

then she had vague recollections of "some guy crying because a mei mei didn't like him and he ended up with a Lisa".

....Not entirely a wrong description of the show.

But at least they are "transformers" so to speak. They have the right idea.

Besides we shouldn't get mad, since America ripped off Macross and turned one end

Into Robotack and the other into a Jetfire.

I mean that's like getting mad that someone thinks Godzilla is that movie with Matthew Broderick.

Yes Americans ruin all types of culture, especially Japanese, we who know just have to

Remember that.

Robotech really was never originally a "rip off" of Macross though, regardless of how terrible it's been managed and how flogged Macross fans have been by Harmony Gold. Originally it had to be longer to air, so they found a way to make it longer to air and dubbed it Robotech. That's not the same as a "rip off", it just had a LOT of painful consequences to follow.

Besides, Godzilla was never ruined, Americans made a bad movie, the rest of the property still exists and is fine. That's not ruining Godzilla the franchise, just ruining an opportunity.

I had some friends crash at my place Fri after some hard drinking. A couple guys and a girl.

They were all really cool about my collection and enjoyed looking at them.

Hard to find good friends haha.

I had some friends crash at my place Fri after some hard drinking. A couple guys and a girl.

They were all really cool about my collection and enjoyed looking at them.

Hard to find good friends haha.

I'm totally jealous. All my friends are door kicking gun toters. It would be awesome to have people who had something in common with my nerdy half.

I'm totally jealous. All my friends are door kicking gun toters. It would be awesome to have people who had something in common with my nerdy half.

You know I'm 34, and I have never even SEEN a gun not on the hip of a Police officer.

One of the many differences in our countries.

• 9 months later...

I think it's not a big deal. You collect robot stuff, you're a geek. Who isn't these days really? My older brother have thousands of dollars on vinyls. One of my younger brothers collects electronics and the other collects nintendo games and consoles. They say that togheter we are the perfect nerd. :D

I just feel a Little bad saying NO NO NO to my two little nephews all the time. But then I remember most of my stuff isn't really meant for kids anyway.

So relax. Nerd is the new cool.

Nothing at all, most take my builds in their strike. Usually we end up talking about preferences as them being Japanese they grew up with a lot of that stuff?

My MA Weapon collection is another topic as many are real aka sharp and I got the Cert's that I am trained in them?

Everyone has a guilty pleasure and luckily I have friends who are open to most things and don't mind my collection (however small). People shouldn't be so quick to judge another ones hobby because it keeps us sane except on pre order days.

I'm honest when I tell them where it's from and most of my friends like it.