Anime Dubs

Anubis

Speaking of ADV, how's their dub for Full Metal Panic? Good or bad?

The only problem I have with the Full Metal Panic dub is Sosuke's voice. It just doesn't fit the character as well as they intended, IMO. Other than that, a pretty good effort, and I think Kaname is pretty much dead on at least.

Anyone here seen the titles released by NuTech Digital? They actually have some high-quality voice actresses for their English dubs:

Angels in the Court - featuring Haven and Shayla LeVeaux

Black Mail - featuring Misty Rain and Tabitha Stevens

Desert Island Story X - featuring Miko Lee and Dayton Rains

Desert Island Story XX - featuring Ava Vincent and Jewel De'Nyle

DNA Hunter - featuring Misty Rain and Kylie Ireland

E'L - featuring Shelbee Myne and Lola

Five Card - featuring Inari Vachs and Tabitha Stevens

Flash Back - featuring Ava Vincent and Aurora Snow

Immoral Sisters - featuring Holly Hollywood and Jenna Haze

Inmu - featuring Asia Carrera, Kobe Tai and Alexa Rae

Karakuri Ninja Girl - featuring Alexa Rae and Trisha Uptown

Kohime - featuring Kobe Tai and Houston

Kokudoh - featuring Aria Giovanni and Monica Mayhem

Mission of Darkness - featuring Nicole Sheridan

My Life As - featuring Britney Andrews and Aurora Snow

Shusaku Replay - featuring Asia Carrera and Rayveness

Vicious - featuring Allysin Chaynes and Alexis Amore

Welcome to Pia Carrot! - featuring Inari Vachs, Gina Ryder, Devon and Charmaine Star

Words Worth - featuring Jenna Jameson and Nikki Dial

The best dub ive ever seen( or rather herd) was FlCl the worst was macross2

Macross 2's dub almost deserves a pardon because the original Japanese cast is even worse.

The English dub was definately a case of a decent cast being wasted due to completely terrible scripting/direction.

Anyone here seen the titles released by NuTech Digital? They actually have some high-quality voice actresses for their English dubs:

Angels in the Court - featuring Haven and Shayla LeVeaux

Black Mail - featuring Misty Rain and Tabitha Stevens

Desert Island Story X - featuring Miko Lee and Dayton Rains

Desert Island Story XX - featuring Ava Vincent and Jewel De'Nyle

DNA Hunter - featuring Misty Rain and Kylie Ireland

E'L - featuring Shelbee Myne and Lola

Five Card - featuring Inari Vachs and Tabitha Stevens

Flash Back - featuring Ava Vincent and Aurora Snow

Immoral Sisters - featuring Holly Hollywood and Jenna Haze

Inmu - featuring Asia Carrera, Kobe Tai and Alexa Rae

Karakuri Ninja Girl - featuring Alexa Rae and Trisha Uptown

Kohime - featuring Kobe Tai and Houston

Kokudoh - featuring Aria Giovanni and Monica Mayhem

Mission of Darkness - featuring Nicole Sheridan

My Life As - featuring Britney Andrews and Aurora Snow

Shusaku Replay - featuring Asia Carrera and Rayveness

Vicious - featuring Allysin Chaynes and Alexis Amore

Welcome to Pia Carrot! - featuring Inari Vachs, Gina Ryder, Devon and Charmaine Star

Words Worth - featuring Jenna Jameson and Nikki Dial

Kohime - dub sucked (Kobe Tai is hot, but can't act for crap anyway)

Angels in the Court - dub so-so, borderline

Immoral Sisters - not bad

Everyone in SC2 couldn't act. I mainly watch anime in sub format, the only ones that I've seen dubbed are the ones that have appeared on TV.

I'll say Worst:

Robotech

Sailormoon

Escaflowne

Dragon Ball Z

all these biased cuz I haven't seen the subbed version and prolly never will, except Escaflowne

Macross 2's dub almost deserves a pardon because the original Japanese cast is even worse.

The English dub was definately a case of a decent cast being wasted due to completely terrible scripting/direction.

Wait a minute now. As much as I dislike Macross II, there's no way in hell the english cast is better than the Japanese cast. What crack were you smoking?

Wait a minute now. As much as I dislike Macross II, there's no way in hell the english cast is better than the Japanese cast. What crack were you smoking?

Beyond the lone exception of the Japanese VA for Hibiki who was far better than his English counterpart, the Japanese cast was terrible. None of them were better than their English counterparts, most of the them worse (especially the Marduk characters).

Clash of the Bionoids.

Worst. Dub. Ever. Period.

As for everything else... I've watched most of my favorite Anime (Macross and it's sequels, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Bebop, Gundam) both in English and Japanese, and none of it is so bad that it ruins the anime for me.

I guess I'm not that particular.

i did some thinking about the anime series ive seen and some of dubing jobs make my ears bleed. except for evangelion iv always been able to watch that series and not have a problem with the dubing. but heres my list.

best dubs

. FLCL (aka fooly cooly or furi kuri)

. cowboy bebop

. macross plus

. outlaw star

. gundam 0080

. gundam the 08th ms team

. trigun

. big o!

. la blue :ph34r:

sucktacular dubs

.Robotech(suffers from 1980's cartoon sendrome)

. macross 2

. clash of the bionoids

. DBZ(pioneer)

. orguss 1

. transformers

. dragon ball

Beyond the lone exception of the Japanese VA for Hibiki who was far better than his English counterpart, the Japanese cast was terrible. None of them were better than their English counterparts, most of the them worse (especially the Marduk characters).

You're joking right? The complete & total boredum of the actors in the english dub (SNN news chief, dennis, nexx...hell, everyone was snoozing it in), as opposed to the competent work & effort in the Japanese dub just don't compare.

The english cast could barely freakin' speak their lines. You are seriously on crack here!

I guess I'm the only one that thinks Macross Plus isn't the best dub

...Could've sworn there were 2 previous posts (including mine) which agreed.

• 8 years later...

I was not around for this thread initially. The best dubs I've seen lately (although many others are out there) are the Disney dubs under the direction of Brad Bird. He obviously loves the original Miyazaki films and has the budget to bring in top talent most of the time. Two standouts for me are the "Howl's Moving Castle" (Billy Crystal sticks out, but they all did well) and Nausica (Patrik Stewart, but everyone did great).

Worst - Clash of the Bionoids or Star Blazers series 3.

Honorable mention for best improvement goes to the second dub of Akira. I'd happily watch that version in English.

Alot of the times the dubbing isn't due to the voice actor. It's also with the script is not properly translated, is the story lacks emotion, and if the voice director is not properly explaining the actors the required tone.

Anyway, here's my selection.

Best

Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 (And the first film)

The Ghost in the shell, Stand Alone Saga series, including the films.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (Truly brilliant)

Canaan

Gurren Lagann

Last Exile

Summer Wars

Elfen Lied

The Sky Crawlers

Kenshin

Average

Claymore

Macross Plus

High School of the dead

Code Geas

Mai Hime

Worst

Full Metal Panic (All of it)

DYRL

Final Fantasy Advent Children (Mainly to blame was the horrible script)

Gundam Seed

Love Hina

I prefer subs over dubs period. There's a certain rythm and melodiousness that get's lost in dubs no matter the quality. Every now and again though, I check out the dub, specially when there's a bit of dialogue I find confusing in the hope that the dub translation might clear things up a bit.

My general overall impression is that the english dubs get worse with younger characters. You have all these voice actors in their 30's trying to sound like excitable teenagers and they just don't pull it off. When the characters are adults (and less prone to wild vocal outbursts), the dub is less jarring. That's why stuff were most of the characters are older than the anime norm like Ghost in the Shell series, Cowboy Bebop and the like generally are acknowledged for their dubs.

Kohime - dub sucked (Kobe Tai is hot, but can't act for crap anyway)

Angels in the Court - dub so-so, borderline

Immoral Sisters - not bad

The only three in that list that of his that have acting ability are Trisha Uptown, Ava Vincent(Jewell Valmont), and Asia Carrera. All three have long since retired from the "industry".

I don't understand why the original voice actors/actresses are held in such high regard. The women can be especially bad. You have three choices...

1. Average japanese woman normal speaker(the rarest one)

2. The fake butch dyke tough girl (often used for the bad girl)

3. The high pitched, squeaking like a stepped on mouse, hyperactive moe moe voice. (Used way too much)

As for good dubs I'd have to go with Porco Rosso, Najica Blitz Tactics, Scrapped Princess, and Sword of the Stranger.

bad dubs

Highschool of the dead- I know its supposed to be over the top but I never could stand how ADV/sentai always has to add pop culture references to their dubs. P90X? Justin Bieber?

Castle in the Sky(disney dub)- this was horrible a ten year old boy and girl being voiced by a guy and woman in their 30s? Mark Hammil? He's better off playing a crazed sociopath than a quiet scheming villan. Christopher Walken would have been better. The guy in the current anime thread was right this was the biggest reason I didn't enjoy it. Its bad enough they tinkered with subs too.

I agree, the english cast for Mac II is pretty damn bad, especially Nexx. But the Japanese cast does a fine job and makes the OVA watchable. As for some comments about Evangelion being a crappy dub. I need to break out the DVDs as its been a wHile, I remember that series being very well done.

Also at the risk of a backlash here, am I the only one who sort of likes the Streamline Akira better? The Pioneer version is done so well & professional & its the original dialogue (virtually word for word) yet for some reason I guess I used to the original dub. Still I enjoy all 3 tracks... Japanese-subbed & Pioneer-Streamline dubs.

Also at the risk of a backlash here, am I the only one who sort of likes the Streamline Akira better? The Pioneer version is done so well & professional & its the original dialogue (virtually word for word) yet for some reason I guess I used to the original dub. Still I enjoy all 3 tracks... Japanese-subbed & Pioneer-Streamline dubs.

I like the old Akira dub as well. Kaneda's voice was hilarious and he really sounded like a dumbass punk. I wanted to punch his face in for being such a jerk! The Pioneer dub cleaned up his act and I'm not a big fan.

I disagree, Clash of the Bionoids is my favorite dub ever. In fact it's the only dub I will listen to.

Graham

I Second this. The CotB dub has far more heart in it than any U.S. dub ever has.

As for the Evangelion dub, The guy they have playing Shinji is almost as terrible as dub Tenchi. The chick they had playing Asuka is far too obnoxious, and the guy they had playing Gendo came off as more generic conniving badguy than the proper cold & calgulated character t hat the character actually is.

As for the Evangelion dub, The guy they have playing Shinji is almost as terrible as dub Tenchi. The chick they had playing Asuka is far too obnoxious, and the guy they had playing Gendo came off as more generic conniving badguy than the proper cold & calgulated character t hat the character actually is.

Funny thing is that Tiffany Grant made the voicing of Asuka kind of a prestige thing for her. I for one found her delivery to be very annoying, although not as bad as the guy who just slaughtered Shinji's voice.

I haven't seen the Rebuilds with a dub but I've heard that they're a tad better.

Funny thing is that Tiffany Grant made the voicing of Asuka kind of a prestige thing for her. I for one found her delivery to be very annoying, although not as bad as the guy who just slaughtered Shinji's voice.

I haven't seen the Rebuilds with a dub but I've heard that they're a tad better.

And yet they're mostly the same cast. Pass on that dub thank you :)

I like the old Akira dub as well. Kaneda's voice was hilarious and he really sounded like a dumbass punk. I wanted to punch his face in for being such a jerk! The Pioneer dub cleaned up his act and I'm not a big fan.

The voices were not the problem(1), it was the atrocious dialog, did Lucas write that script? Worst of the lot was when one character was trying to explain the physicic (sp?) phenomemon (sp? again.) The poor actor/actress even managing to say the lines deserves a medal.

If I remember correctly Kaneda was voiced by the guy that did Max in Robotech (or it sounded a lot like him)

(1) - Just remembered, the Colonel's voice was totally wrong.

Edited by Dynaman

And yet they're mostly the same cast. Pass on that dub thank you :)

have a little faith, I mean they are professionals. Ill watch rebirth.. I will say I do chalk up a little bit to bad acting,, and maybe Asuka should have a snotty Russian accent

I don't understand the logic of preferring subs over dubs if you don't understand Japanese. :blink:

When I tried subs all I hear is scooters and motorbikes screaming past. :lol:

As well when watching something with indepth dialogue like GITS, you're forced to pause the screen to read the paragraph sentence.

Sure not all the English voice acting is Oscar material. Then again I knew a Japanese guy that disliked watching Anime in Japanese as he found the voice acting overdone.

I don't understand the logic of preferring subs over dubs if you don't understand Japanese. :blink:

When I tried subs all I hear is scooters and motorbikes screaming past. :lol:

As well when watching something with indepth dialogue like GITS, you're forced to pause the screen to read the paragraph sentence.

Sure not all the English voice acting is Oscar material. Then again I knew a Japanese guy that disliked watching Anime in Japanese as he found the voice acting overdone.

Can't help but wonder what kind of ass-backwards bootleg you've watched if you saw a paragraph of text on screen, but the logic in watching something subtitled over dubbed is simple.

-It's got the oriignal language that the property was made in.

-It's got the original direction of the actor's playing the characters, i.e. the characters are portrayed in the way that the creator's intend them to be.

-It's got the original dialogue, i.e. no "smart" rewrites by amature writers that are rampant in dubs, and no "localization" replacing something that was originally there with something more familiar (note, this does happen from time to time in subtitle scripts too, but the original dialogue is still present when that happens).

-We live in a world with many different languages, get used to it!

-You actually pick up important nuances about languages when you expose yourself to them.

-You'd be surprised abotu how much you start to pick up from just listening to the language with the subtitles, after a while you get to a point where you can spot "bad" subtitle translatesions when you come across them, but still understand what's actually being said.

But for me, and most importantly, if you're watching something dubbed into another language, you're not actually watching what was made, just someone elses version of it.