• 2 weeks later...

Watched this video this morning. I was apprehensive at first, but this movie is starting to look more and more appealing. They're spending a lot of money on peripheral media; this isn't just you usual direct-to-video quality sequel.

I really liked the first film when it came out so many years ago. I think it was by the third viewing I started to hate it. It just was very boring and preachy.i hope the new one doesn't end up that way, seeing as how humanity already knows the aliens are invaders.

I really liked the first film when it came out so many years ago. I think it was by the third viewing I started to hate it. It just was very boring and preachy.i hope the new one doesn't end up that way, seeing as how humanity already knows the aliens are invaders.

Haha, I saw the first film three times in two weeks. First time was on actual July 4th, 1996 and a few days later with buddies at my Army post and a week later with a girl I just started dating that never saw the film before. It did get boring by the third showing though. But still, ID4 was the coolest film of 1996.

Edited by TangledThorns

They need to hurry the hell up with the live action Macross or Yukikaze movies...

As side note... think I found where the Macross Gun pod sound came from... The cheeseball movie The Final Countdown has an F14 putting a burst of M61 rounds into a WW2 Zero - funny scene watching the F14s with wings fully extended trying to wallow slow enough to "dogfight" the zeros - and its probably the first movie sound effect of the Gatling gun. Sounds EXACTLY like the Macross ones.

Edited by NZEOD

They need to hurry the hell up with the live action Macross or Yukikaze movies...

As side note... think I found where the Macross Gun pod sound came from... The cheeseball movie The Final Countdown has an F14 putting a burst of M61 rounds into a WW2 Zero - funny scene watching the F14s with wings fully extended trying to wallow slow enough to "dogfight" the zeros - and its probably the first movie sound effect of the Gatling gun. Sounds EXACTLY like the Macross ones.

Just check out the f-14 scenes. Its short, but the guns do sound the same. Nice footage also. Can't say much else good about this movie lol. Re: the yacht that was blowed up...Why would someone that can't swim be on a boat in the ocean???

Just check out the f-14 scenes. Its short, but the guns do sound the same. Nice footage also. Can't say much else good about this movie lol. Re: the yacht that was blowed up...Why would someone that can't swim be on a boat in the ocean???

For a very long time many sailors did not know how to swim. I think in modern times they force them to learn.

• 3 weeks later...

For a very long time many sailors did not know how to swim. I think in modern times they force them to learn.

Not much chance of rescue back in the old old days. If you could swim then you were damned to possibly hours on end in frigid waters with sharks swimming beneath ya. Many sailors, if they lost their ship or were just simply lost overboard, wanted it over quick.

• 3 weeks later...

"You're not gonna remember it in T-minus 1 day (Yep, already forgot it.)."

"C"

"0.5 and 1 out of 5 Schmoes"

"D+"

"Best Movie Ever"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 34% - "It's undeniably visually impressive, but like its predecessor, Independence Day: Resurgence lacks enough emotional heft to support its end-of-the-world narrative stakes."
Metacritic Score: 32 out of 100

Edited by areaseven

Just finished watching this film today. If you hated the first film, then skip this one altogether. If you loved the first one, you'll probably like this too. Independence Day: Resurgence boasts more destruction and carnage than its predecessor, but aside from that, it's more of the same. Lots of plot points are recycled from the first film, but at the same time, it adds a dozen or so other subplots in an attempt to make the supporting cast more relevant. It's great to see Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch, and Vivica A. Fox return, but

Robert Loggia's 5-second cameo just makes you sad, especially since he passed away earlier this year.

As for the new cast, the film doesn't do much to make you care about them; which brings us to one of the main problems of this film.

Even though it runs at 120 minutes, it feels severely fast-paced. Explosions happen much too quickly and you're not given enough time to digest the numerous subplots thrown at you, such as...

- The animosity between Jake and Dylan after a training exercise nearly got Dylan killed.

- The treasure hunters over the Atlantic Ocean looking for a sunken ship, only to be the ESD's only beacon to the alien mothership's activities.

- Julius surviving the tsunami and driving a school bus load of kids from the East Coast all the way to Area 51.

Furthermore...

Sela Ward and William Fichtner are probably the two most useless presidents on film. They hardly do anything and Fichtner's pre-battle speech is just weak, especially after Bill Pullman does one of his own earlier on.

And just like Transformers: Age of Extinction, Independence Day: Resurgence...

has become a bit of Chinese propaganda. Seriously, Americans use QQ?

Despite its flaws, Independence Day: Resurgence is a decent popcorn flick. It's Roland Emmerich's way of apologizing for Godzilla (1998), The Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 B.C., 2012, and White House Down. Okay, maybe not 10,000 B.C., as that's completely unforgivable.

Edited by areaseven

Despite its flaws, Independence Day is a decent popcorn flick. It's Roland Emmerich's way of apologizing for Godzilla (1998), The Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 B.C., 2012, and White House Down. Okay, maybe not 10,000 B.C., as that's completely unforgivable.

LOL