Robotech - Love Live Alive + Shadow Chronicles 2-movie set

The didn't make an hour+ of animation. It's all reused footage with a few minutes of new stuff.

the Shadow Chronicles was original, right!? That is what I was referring to... They worked on that for like 5 years or something. I actually sat with Tommy Yune in his office and discussed it with him (yes I used to work in entertainment).

So this new thing is a clip show? Just reusing old RT stuff!? WTF?

Edited by Agent ONE

I don't see the comparison to Mospeada Love Live Alive or FB7. Those are professional productions that make you feel something and think. Shadow Chronicles and Robotech Love Live Alive are bland emotionally immature videos for eight year olds.

Edited by Legioss

Shadow Chronicles and Robotech Love Live Alive are bland emotionally immature videos for eight year olds.

You take that back! Eight-year-old kids wouldn't watch that crap! :p

So anyway, I torrented this movie, and now I want my money back. As we all know, it's an overglorified recap episode with only one minute of brand-new animation that's more of a mismatch than M.D. Geist: Director's Cut and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Chapter. Of all the characters here, the cassette recorder on that reporter chick's lap gave the best performance.

Other than that, Robotech: Love Live Alive is a total waste of time, money and bandwidth.

It take it back. I meant they're made by emotionally immature slimy scumbag douches for creepy nostalgic losers.

I can understand why someone has kept up with Robotech since the 80s and/or if they're a Macross fan, especially if they're aware that the original Japanese animation is most of what made it good, Harmony Gold has ruined the brand, and Harmony Gold is damaging the reputation of Macross internationally.

I cannot understand nostalgia not kicking in for 28 years. They had over 2 decades to satisfy their nostalgia. Everything's gotten a comeback and a remake.

I cannot understand why someone who knows nothing about Robotech would be attracted to Shadow Chronicles and Love Live Alive for their own sake. What would attract them to it? The packaging? I've got to admit the packaging is technically good while it tries to make Robotech look like something it's not.

... episode with only one minute of brand-new animation that's more of a mismatch than M.D. Geist: Director's Cut and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Chapter. Of all the characters here, the cassette recorder on that reporter chick's lap gave the best performance.

Actually, I also just torrented this "film" To what I see, the beginning is new, or looks new. So lets add 2 minutes for that, Some parts are new. I still haven't watched it all yet. I can't handle it for too long. So, bits at a time.

It take it back. I meant they're made by emotionally immature slimy scumbag douches for creepy nostalgic losers.

I can understand why someone has kept up with Robotech since the 80s and/or if they're a Macross fan, especially if they're aware that the original Japanese animation is most of what made it good, Harmony Gold has ruined the brand, and Harmony Gold is damaging the reputation of Macross internationally.

I cannot understand nostalgia not kicking in for 28 years. They had over 2 decades to satisfy their nostalgia. Everything's gotten a comeback and a remake.

I cannot understand why someone who knows nothing about Robotech would be attracted to Shadow Chronicles and Love Live Alive for their own sake. What would attract them to it? The packaging? I've got to admit the packaging is technically good while it tries to make Robotech look like something it's not.

For some reason, I am reminded of something said a long time ago concerning a Peter Pan Syndome said by a guy, who probably had/has that problem but would never admit it, trying to use it to explain another person's very rational disappointment with how a certain franchise was being run. I think his name was Hartman or something. If only he knew what was really in store for him in the next few years.

Long story short, I've learned that nostalgia makes fools out of everyone, especially when it is used to judge a "film" overwhelmingly positively over its actual merit.

Edited by Einherjar

For some reason, I am reminded of something said a long time ago concerning a Peter Pan Syndome said by a guy, who probably had/has that problem but would never admit it, trying to use it to explain another person's very rational disappointment with how a certain franchise was being run. I think his name was Hartman or something. If only he knew what was really in store for him in the next few years.

Long story short, I've learned that nostalgia makes fools out of everyone, especially when it is used to judge a "film" overwhelmingly positively over its actual merit.

Well said. One could also ask, what's in a name?

I do not know enough about the breadth of Harmony Gold's other business, but Robotech must be enough of a cash cow for the company that it can afford to keep coming back and putting a face to the ideas that pop into Yune's head during convention time.

Unfortunately, for me, this has become too much of a troll face. And I really like this question: Why is Robotech missing from the crop of me-too flashback movies? Because it may very well go its own way and break from the Macross universe with the right talent. However, I do not think that HG wants to put that kind of effort into the Robotech IP. I do not see the blood, sweat, and tears that need to be shed for that change to occur, not with the current people running the show.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - but allow me to relate it to my own experience:

When I was a kid I was greatly into G.I. Joe, but moved on while I was in middle school. A few years back, I saw these Target exclusive vehicle packs for $10 of GI Joe toys - some of which I never owned as a kid. I debated buying them for a time, but I finally gave in. What I discovered was far greater articulation and depictions of some of my favorite toys. That opened the flood gates to GI Joe Collecting for the first time in something like 25 years. This story is shared by many, many folks who saw the 25th anniversary figures and were drawn back into GI Joe after 2 decades.

In the same way, maybe a person who liked Robotech sees these movies on the shelf and remembers enjoying them as a kid and picks them up and then checks out ebay to see what else is out there and discovers Yamato 1/60 vehicles and CM's Legioss and the greater world of Macross and Mospeada and that these lines didn't end in the 80s with the Matchbox toys. Does this make a person a loser or just someone who hadn't thought of a line for years and saw something that triggered a memory and drew them into the community?

That is how nostalgia works - it is triggered by something today and it draws up a memory of the past that was hopefully pleasant. It doesn't make someone lesser. In fact, this is how and why companies work all the time. Walk the shelves of Toys R Us or the kid's movie DVD aisle and you will see so many lines that are working on the nostalgia of parents and adults who stumble upon them.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - but allow me to relate it to my own experience:

< other stuff>

I think Legioss's point fluttered right over your head. He wasn't talking about healthy nostalgia as you describe---the kind the helps you reconnect and socialize with those who have similar interests. I read his post as describing a destructive nostalgia that keeps people trapped and waiting for some reward that will never come to fruition. That is so much of what Robotech has been for so many years to me and other like-minded people who moved on.

Could it have been more? Certainly! But are we really here to argue history?

Edited by technoblue

I think Legioss's point fluttered right over your head. He wasn't talking about healthy nostalgia as you describe---the kind the helps you reconnect and socialize with those who have similar interests. I read his post as describing a destructive nostalgia that keeps people trapped and waiting for some reward that will never come to fruition. That is so much of what Robotech has been for so many years to me and other like-minded people who moved on.

Could it have been more? Certainly! But are we really here to argue history?

I'd say that's pretty much on point.

Dear moderator, please kill this thread!

It's amazing how much energy you guys put into something you hate.. Do you really thing Macross is so week that RT actually gives it a bad name? Do you think Rt keeps mister K up @ night??

I think we All agree RT& LLA is disappointing & that HG is stagnant.

So what else is new?? How many ways you wanna say it? How many insults you wanna throw out to prove your point?

Is nostalgia for RT really destructive? Wow, you give too much credit to RT, especially with the ferocity of your hate.

Were all entitled to an opinion (aren't we?)

So what if someone wants to check it out(or hey!) so what if someone LIKES it! Is that really a bad thing?

I could take or leave RT @ this point in my life, I'm so deep into macross, RT is a memory& novelty, but I really don't see the point in cutting fellow MW members down for their interest.

Cheers!

Dear moderator, please kill this thread!

It's amazing how much energy you guys put into something you hate.. Do you really thing Macross is so week that RT actually gives it a bad name? Do you think Rt keeps mister K up @ night??

I think we All agree RT& LLA is disappointing & that HG is stagnant.

So what else is new?? How many ways you wanna say it? How many insults you wanna throw out to prove your point?

Is nostalgia for RT really destructive? Wow, you give too much credit to RT, especially with the ferocity of your hate.

Were all entitled to an opinion (aren't we?)

So what if someone wants to check it out(or hey!) so what if someone LIKES it! Is that really a bad thing?

I could take or leave RT @ this point in my life, I'm so deep into macross, RT is a memory& novelty, but I really don't see the point in cutting fellow MW members down for their interest.

Cheers!

I don't really criticize RT to make Macross look better, they don't really need that help. I just remember seeking RT stuff in the 80's and 90s and being disappointed at what I got. The novels, the videos they released and how hard it was to finish that collection. The sequels that never looked like they were up to par with what we got from the original three cartoons. With it's rich history coming from 3 different sources you'd think it would be a lot better. So it's not me cutting down other's interest... it's my interest that was cut down to obliteration.

But you're right.... Kill it! Kill it with FIYAAA!!!