Robotech - Love Live Alive + Shadow Chronicles 2-movie set

I think Robotech created an entire generation of anime fans, more so than anything else prior. Then Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Dragon Ball Z came and created even more anime fans than Robotech.

But what nobody ever mentions is the huge difference in the type of people attracted to Robotech (or StarBlazers) and the type of people attracted to Sailor Moon, Pokemon or DragonBall Z.

Robotech fans were impressed by the sophisticated story and characters, the beautiful animation (if you don't count the Anime Friend episodes), and/or the science-fiction aspects like space ships and mecha -- much like the Star Blazers fans before them.

Sailor Moon, Pokemon and DragonBall Z aren't space or mecha shows. They're also shonen/shoujo -- shows for young kids. While the original Japanese versions weren't as stupid as the dumbed-down US versions, they still didn't feature the kind of sophisticated character growth and interactions as Macross or Yamato. You can argue that Macross was made for kids too, but it wasn't made for young kids like Pokemon was. Macross was smart enough to be enjoyed by adults who wouldn't normally watch cartoons, and I don't think you can say that about DBZ or Pokemon.

Animation and art wise, you can argue the merits of each, but neither Sailor Moon, Pokemon, or DBZ had Haruhiko Mikimoto character designs. Now I love Akira Toriyama, and Kazuko Tadano is pretty good too, but Mikimoto is the greatest character designer of all time. Also, only Macross had Itano-choreographed fight animation. Who did the animation direction for DBZ? Don't know? Exactly. To be fair Macross had some horribly animated episodes but it also had DYRL.

So what's my point? The generation of anime fans created by Sailor Moon, Pokemon and DragonBall Z aren't looking for science fiction, and they aren't looking for anything incredibly sophisticated, and they aren't even looking for amazing artwork. I don't understand this kind of fan and feel like I have nothing in common with them, personally.

So what's my point? The generation of anime fans created by Sailor Moon, Pokemon and DragonBall Z aren't looking for science fiction, and they aren't looking for anything incredibly sophisticated, and they aren't even looking for amazing artwork.

GOOD! Science fiction can go jump in a lake for all I care because people who are into it always look down on those who aren't. Even if it's awful action schlock, people still run up and down signing the praises as long as there was a space colony in the background. And disparaging long running shoujo and shonen series for having inferior artwork is purely subjective. Even if you don't like the character designs, those shows have just as much potential to have amazing artwork and great animation just like Macross did. And don't downplay the merits of popular shows just because they are popular. Despite their failings (which Macross has plenty of itself), those shows and their fans are just as capable of providing nuanced characters and solid entertainment while also resonating with audiences just like Macross did.

And this is all completely independent of whether some designer drew out how ammo linkages in a robot's gun work in some art book.

I remember in January e-mailing i09 about Love live Alive, thinking someone would want to do a review about it when it came out. I figured someone would appreciate the publicity somewhere down the line. Guess this is why nothing happened with it.

Turns out I was wrong, they did talk about it and probably got my message. It apparantly came out on a slow week.

http://io9.com/this-week-s-dvds-is-full-of-bad-movies-but-mst3k-is-he-871974178

Robotech: 2-Movie Collection

Containing the all-right Shadow Chronicles movie from 2006 and “Love Live Alive,” the 1985 Genesis Climber Mospeada OVA series edited with 15 minutes of new animation to become a new Robotech movie. I'm told the new animation is... noticeable.

Judging by the comments there, no one only one guy gave a damn about it.

Edited by Einherjar

Guest davidwhangchoi

oh man... this thread is becoming hot again... love reading everyone's strong opinions because there's alot of informative insights in each counterpoint minus the heat/putdowns :ph34r:

LLA, i'll never buy it but all this talk is making me curious how poor/interesting the dvd is.

Turns out I was wrong, they did talk about it and probably got my message. It apparantly came out on a slow week.

http://io9.com/this-week-s-dvds-is-full-of-bad-movies-but-mst3k-is-he-871974178

Judging by the comments there, no one only one guy gave a damn about it.

Huh. Well there you are, and It seems the positive reviews on Amazon have increased five fold.

Areaseven, that preview is hilarious. Robotech is just another continuity! It's all Lancer's fault!

Too bad about protoculture, though. :blink:

Edited by technoblue

I think Robotech created an entire generation of anime fans, more so than anything else prior. Then Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Dragon Ball Z came and created even more anime fans than Robotech.
But what nobody ever mentions is the huge difference in the type of people attracted to Robotech (or StarBlazers) and the type of people attracted to Sailor Moon, Pokemon or DragonBall Z.
Robotech fans were impressed by the sophisticated story and characters, the beautiful animation (if you don't count the Anime Friend episodes), and/or the science-fiction aspects like space ships and mecha -- much like the Star Blazers fans before them.
Sailor Moon, Pokemon and DragonBall Z aren't space or mecha shows. They're also shonen/shoujo -- shows for young kids. While the original Japanese versions weren't as stupid as the dumbed-down US versions, they still didn't feature the kind of sophisticated character growth and interactions as Macross or Yamato. You can argue that Macross was made for kids too, but it wasn't made for young kids like Pokemon was. Macross was smart enough to be enjoyed by adults who wouldn't normally watch cartoons, and I don't think you can say that about DBZ or Pokemon.
Animation and art wise, you can argue the merits of each, but neither Sailor Moon, Pokemon, or DBZ had Haruhiko Mikimoto character designs. Now I love Akira Toriyama, and Kazuko Tadano is pretty good too, but Mikimoto is the greatest character designer of all time. Also, only Macross had Itano-choreographed fight animation. Who did the animation direction for DBZ? Don't know? Exactly. To be fair Macross had some horribly animated episodes but it also had DYRL.
So what's my point? The generation of anime fans created by Sailor Moon, Pokemon and DragonBall Z aren't looking for science fiction, and they aren't looking for anything incredibly sophisticated, and they aren't even looking for amazing artwork. I don't understand this kind of fan and feel like I have nothing in common with them, personally.

I hear ya. You're better than the current crop of anime fans. No, hear me out... YOU ARE BETTER. You like real things, they only want undemanding entertainment. I know, YOU'RE BETTER THAN THEM.

I mean, what adult likes Dragon Ball (besides me?). Clearly, you're amazing, thanks to Robotech.

(In other words, your missive is just a tad self-serving, isn't it...?)

Edited by Gubaba

I'll admit I'm curious about LLA, I'll probably get a cheap copy at some point, though it's not pressing. And yes, I know what I'm getting into.

Truth is I'm an Animation fan.

It is sad the best HG can do is just a hyped clip run. Undoubtedly they're hoping to snag fresh blood, & ignore the haters.

RT was great when I was 14 & watching it everyday after school. But that was then & this is now.

Edited by Bolt

Oh brother. Seriously, can't Harmony Gold come up with something original? They keep flogging the dead horse (Admiral Rick lost in space) and the Sentinels. Seems all they do is piggy back off things that are already there.

I read the Shadow Chronicles script too. Sounds like a "cliff Notes" of the sentinels books.

So Scott dies, gives his life to another. Does he meet up with Gloval too? Claudia and Roy? Anyways, I really wish HG would do something creative with their license.

My 2 cents

How can a fan NOT KNOW it was a clip show to begin with?

Cuz if you haven't seen it, it's new to you. And since most people who would buy this did not see Mospeada - Love, Live, Alive... well, you know the answer.

Oh brother. Seriously, can't Harmony Gold come up with something original? They keep flogging the dead horse (Admiral Rick lost in space) and the Sentinels. Seems all they do is piggy back off things that are already there.

I read the Shadow Chronicles script too. Sounds like a "cliff Notes" of the sentinels books.

So Scott dies, gives his life to another. Does he meet up with Gloval too? Claudia and Roy? Anyways, I really wish HG would do something creative with their license.

My 2 cents

To be fair, the Sentinels story is all HG. As is Shadow Chronicles. The missing Rick Hunter is part of Robotech and like Protoculture is what ties the stories together. It follows in all of the Robotech stories - Dana's story, the ship arriving during the Robotech Master's Invasion, and of course in New Generation. And that is all HG, or at least Carl Macek.

To be fair, the Sentinels story is all HG. As is Shadow Chronicles. The missing Rick Hunter is part of Robotech and like Protoculture is what ties the stories together. It follows in all of the Robotech stories - Dana's story, the ship arriving during the Robotech Master's Invasion, and of course in New Generation. And that is all HG, or at least Carl Macek.

It doesn't bother you that they haven't move past any of those things in almost 30 years?

It doesn't bother you that they haven't move past any of those things in almost 30 years?

I can't say about anyone else, but it doesn't bother me - namely because aside from occasional posts about it in MW (like this thread), I ignore it. :lol:

That said, I kinda liked the direction that the Waltrip brothers were taking the Sentinels just before they lost the contract (in the sense of liking that they took the series in a new direction that wasn't in the novels and replaced the Regent's essentially unarmed Organics with armed whatevers). But after the first few issues of AP's comic version, let alone the semi-reboot Shadow whatever, I completely gave up on it.

It's so bad that I can't even take the RPG version of it seriously, which should be the best version of it...

Edited by sketchley

Well, aside from the RT live action( if it really happens) this is probably the last gasp for HG..

Although a success at the box office (can Tony& leonardo turn it into something epic??)would undoubtedly fuel more projects.. Problem is the live action won't have any of the same mecha and probably be a contradictory story line.

How convoluted & out of touch can this get?

I guess I see LLA as cheap filler until their live action can bring in the funds to finally produce a new original work of animation. Or movie sequel..

Of course, I'm not expecting anything & haven't for almost 20 years!

Muahaha..

How can a fan NOT KNOW it was a clip show to begin with?

Because HG said it was a "BRAND NEW MOVIE"...? Because Tommy claimed it had an "underlying story with consequences for the characters?" Because HG said that it was delayed for more than a year because they liked the new animation so much, they ordered "additional minutes" of new animation?

Where did HG ever say it was a clip show?

Because HG said it was a "BRAND NEW MOVIE"...? Because Tommy claimed it had an "underlying story with consequences for the characters?" Because HG said that it was delayed for more than a year because they liked the new animation so much, they ordered "additional minutes" of new animation?

Agreed. I was on my way to buy it when I had the sudden urge to check MW for any 'info on it. If it hadn't been for this thread I would've bought myself this "clip show," based on how HG was hyping this thing...

On their own site, it was mentioned that it was LLA with some extra footage added. Granted, one would have to know the original LLA was a music video/clip show - but a quick search could have turned up that info.

As for believing the hype, rule #1 in life is to NEVER EVER take marketing buzz as truth. (or maybe I'm just old)