Robotech - Love Live Alive + Shadow Chronicles 2-movie set

On their own site, it was mentioned that it was LLA with some extra footage added. Granted, one would have to know the original LLA was a music video/clip show - but a quick search could have turned up that info.

As for believing the hype, rule #1 in life is to NEVER EVER take marketing buzz as truth. (or maybe I'm just old)

So, all the people saying, "Hey, Mospeada: Love Live Alive was 50 minutes, this is NINETY MINUTES, so it's GOTTA HAVE a lot of new footage," those people are morons for expecting more? Or are they just gullible? Or maybe they're idiots?

Please, since you sussed it all out beforehand, you can call them anything you want to. Being the genius you are, to see through HG's lies, what do you wanna call them?

It doesn't bother you that they haven't move past any of those things in almost 30 years?

No - I mean, that is what a saga is suppose to be: the telling of a continuing story. Macross is less of a saga and more of a universe. While elements of Macross continue to flow through each of the stories, many of the shows and movies tend to function almost independent of the original Macross. Macross Plus required no knowledge of the original show. Macross Zero is the most closely tied to the original, with Macross 7 having some of the characters back as older leaders.

As I said before, Robotech is different from Macross, even if they share much of the same animation. I would hazard to suggest Robotech is like Star Wars and Macross is like Star Trek. Robotech is telling a pretty linear story. Macross jumps all over the time line telling stories that might not relate at all to the original story.

And to be fair to your question, HG tried to do something different - Robotech 3000 - and if flopped.

As to LLA, it might have started out as trying to do something new and different but with the passing of Carl and the pressure to get something out to encourage the live action movie, they likely cut corners and released what they had. It is clear that HG wants to move more towards digital animation but this movie forced them to create scenes to match the original animation. The introduction was very well done - even if it didn't match the rest of the movie. As to it being a clip movie, the sure sign that it was not a new movie was that it was packaged with the Shadow Chronicles, with the Shadow Chronicles getting top billing and LLA seeming to be an additional feature.

As I said before, Robotech is different from Macross, even if they share much of the same animation. I would hazard to suggest Robotech is like Star Wars and Macross is like Star Trek. Robotech is telling a pretty linear story. Macross jumps all over the time line telling stories that might not relate at all to the original story.

So, you're being a deliberate idiot here, right? Since the main reason people seem to like Robotech is that it's a "Multi-Generational Epic," (i.e., it jumps all over the place), but you're saying that "Multi-Generational Epics"don't tie in to the "original story." Interesting...

So, all the people saying, "Hey, Mospeada: Love Live Alive was 50 minutes, this is NINETY MINUTES, so it's GOTTA HAVE a lot of new footage," those people are morons for expecting more? Or are they just gullible? Or maybe they're idiots?

Please, since you sussed it all out beforehand, you can call them anything you want to. Being the genius you are, to see through HG's lies, what do you wanna call them?

Short answer - yes they are. Maybe if we were not talking Harmony Gold it would be different.

Guest davidwhangchoi

No - I mean, that is what a saga is suppose to be: the telling of a continuing story. Macross is less of a saga and more of a universe. While elements of Macross continue to flow through each of the stories, many of the shows and movies tend to function almost independent of the original Macross. Macross Plus required no knowledge of the original show. Macross Zero is the most closely tied to the original, with Macross 7 having some of the characters back as older leaders.

Macross less of a saga and more of a universe? and Robotech is a saga? Minus the heat, i humbly disagree...

From Tommy Yune's own words:

Jeffrey Harris: I got to see some of the new sequences at Anime Expo. So what is the story now within the Robotech Universe, and what is the current status of the story at the time?

Yune: There are some sequences that are completely(new), and some sequences that were licensed from Tatsunoko which were animated in 1985 but have never been presented in the Robotech Universe.

411 mania inteview for LLA

http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/294318/411mania.com-Interviews:-Robotech-Creative-Director-Tommy-Yune.htm

You know mang, it's one thing to try to continue a story in a relatively short amount of time after the first bit ended but trying to do this "find the Rick Hunter" thing nearly 30 years later is just asinine. It complete ignores why Robotech was successful (i.e. riding off a completed and proven success that was seen as a novelty in its time) in favor of trying to keep the brand unchanging just to string along the faithful. It's like when they made Superman Returns and it tied into the old Donner movies. You got the brand to get people into seats but you've also alienated people by resting it all on some really old backstory that not everyone remembers. The whole world moved on and everything that happened at the end of Robotech became less and less important. They're done nothing to get new people interested and its getting tiresome.

I think people are missing the boat on this; what is LLA but Codename: Robotech with New Generation characters. The clips are to set up the New Gen character's adventures of liberating the Earth from the Invid while setting them up for continuing stories possibly in Shadow Rising. I would've preferred more Lancer concert stock footage and less "The Ranch" episode..

So, you're being a deliberate idiot here, right? Since the main reason people seem to like Robotech is that it's a "Multi-Generational Epic," (i.e., it jumps all over the place), but you're saying that "Multi-Generational Epics"don't tie in to the "original story." Interesting...

Please don't be disrespectful. I said that it is a linear story. Macross is not, not at this point. That is what I meant by jumping around.

You know mang, it's one thing to try to continue a story in a relatively short amount of time after the first bit ended but trying to do this "find the Rick Hunter" thing nearly 30 years later is just asinine. It complete ignores why Robotech was successful (i.e. riding off a completed and proven success that was seen as a novelty in its time) in favor of trying to keep the brand unchanging just to string along the faithful. It's like when they made Superman Returns and it tied into the old Donner movies. You got the brand to get people into seats but you've also alienated people by resting it all on some really old backstory that not everyone remembers. The whole world moved on and everything that happened at the end of Robotech became less and less important. They're done nothing to get new people interested and its getting tiresome.

Hey now, don't go bringing Superman into this. I actually quite liked Superman Returns. At least they used all-new footage (minus the Marlon Brando appearance)! :D

I think this comes down to personal preference. If you follow other toy lines, typically those toys that draw on people's nostalgia sell better than new ones with no connection to the past. GI Joe survives today in large part to older collectors. Transformers sells well across the board but toys that are based on older designs sell far better than the new movie figures. Nostalgia sells as some people prefer it. Others want something new to reach a new generation and that is fine. In the case of Robotech, Macross has done a fine job of filling the "new" niche. HG in not going that route fills a void. I'm certain if the live action movie is made, it will be different enough from the previous iterations of Robotech that it will likely introduce a new story as it reboots the series, much like Yamato 2199 did recently (or at least, that is how it appears - I haven't had the opportunity to watch it yet). So you may yet get your wish via the live action. And much like Transformers did, they can create a live action continuity that runs parallel to the classic continuity.

Please don't be disrespectful. I said that it is a linear story. Macross is not, not at this point. That is what I meant by jumping around.

Oh, sorry for being disrespectful, Mr. "Hey, let's take the Japanese originals an pretend like it's all 'Macek's Vision.'"

I apologize. Clearly, you know what's more 'Anime' than I do. Rock on wit'cher bad self.

And to be fair to your question, HG tried to do something different - Robotech 3000 - and if flopped.

Your nostalgia and bias is showing, but I can't argue with that. Robotech was telling a pretty linear story edited from Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. And then it just ended abruptly at episode 85, with the crew having huge dreams of where to take the franchise which ended up being a string of humiliating delusions of grandeur. Blame was apparantly always on something/someone else for these failures, never on them.

You should also remember the other flopps HG did to try to do something different; The Movie/Untold Story (hey, they paid for a couple of minutes of new animation for this one too!), Robotech II: The Sentinels (it was really supposed to run longer than Legend of Galactic Heroes?), Shadow Chronicles (took them so many years to complete and will take many more to just conclude the storyline if they're lucky). Probably the only thing that did well was the novels, and those are no longer official in HG's eyes even though they continue selling them.

I'd take that universe over that pretentious saga you mentioned.

Edited by Einherjar

Your nostalgia and bias is showing, but I can't argue with that. Robotech was telling a pretty linear story edited from Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. And then it just ended abruptly at episode 85, with the crew having huge dreams of where to take the franchise which ended up being a string of humiliating delusions of grandeur. Blame was apparantly always on something/someone else for these failures, never on them.

You should also remember the other flopps HG did to try to do something different; The Movie/Untold Story (hey, they paid for a couple of minutes of new animation for this one too!), Robotech II: The Sentinels (it was really supposed to run longer than Legend of Galactic Heroes?), Shadow Chronicles (took them so many years to complete and will take many more to just conclude the storyline if they're lucky). Probably the only thing that did well was the novels, and those are no longer official in HG's eyes even though they continue selling them.

I'd take that universe over that pretentious saga you mentioned.

Oh, I own my nostalgia. It is what led me to this site.

To be fair, HG's flops were not always tied to themselves. The Sentinels got hurt by financial circumstances beyond their control - or at least that is what they have said, and from what I've seen, they wouldn't have moved forward that far if they weren't planning a longer series. HG did get the story out via comic books - they even concluded the Sentinels via the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles to tie the stories together. I agree, they do move slow and the Shadow Chronicles DVD was lacking in many ways. The McKinney novels filled in many gaps - some of what he produced was adapted from Robotech comics over the years. But the Robotech Movie was absolute rubbish as far as Robotech was concerned. I'm pretty sure HG doesn't consider it cannon.

Oh, sorry for being disrespectful, Mr. "Hey, let's take the Japanese originals an pretend like it's all 'Macek's Vision.'"

I apologize. Clearly, you know what's more 'Anime' than I do. Rock on wit'cher bad self.

Can you have a discussion without being disrespectful? I have not attacked Macross in any way; I said that Robotech was different. I used the analogy of Star Wars vs Star Trek because it is a matter of taste and different people like one more than the other but it doesn't necessarily mean the other is lesser or worse. I came to knowing anime via Robotech and have a longer history with it than with Macross. I just think they are very different things due to the execution of the story. And as they moved away from the source material, both have shown how different they are. I certainly don't know anime more than you - or so I can safely assume as I don't like to watch too much with subtitles. I may know more about Robotech than you - or maybe not. But that doesn't me better or you better. So please don't judge me as I am not judging you. We are just talking about a movie!

I agree, personal attacks will get this topic locked. Then it will happen again in another topic.

I think we can all agree, Robotech and Macross are 2 different galaxies in the same universe. Robotech was not entirely an original series, but Carl did a fairly good job tying it all together under the circumstances. In both of them, there is transforming mecha and singing. Same with the Frontier, plus and FB series of macross.

I personally liked the sentinels books, but the characters do need to be described differently. I mean, c'mon, who REALLY liked Minmey in the macross saga? and to see her turn out to be a drunk and a slurm in the sentinels makes it seem like a Britney Spears prophecy. Hahaha.

Ok, back on topic here, even some of the hard core Robotech fans agree, LLA was just a remake of the original. With "new" animation to make it longer. What would be considered "new" I buy a used car, and that car is "new" to me. Is something new if it has some old in it? Like leftovers recooked and mixed in with something else, does it make it new? Not for me. New would be Shadow Chronicles. New animation, new story tied into the mospeada line.

So for me LLA is not something I would watch again. growing up and watching a cross dressing freedom fighter wasn't really my thing, It might explain my slight homophobia. hahaha

Well said mate!

I agree completely:)

Although (in anime)cross dressing freedom fighters who sing was pretty cutting edge for an American audience who were mostly teenagers in 1985:)

Haha

I found myself wondering if that was the in thing in japan back then:)

Of course ,it wasn't the only example of fem boys, back then,I can still see those purple lips on the bad guy dude from G-force!

Now it's pretty mainstream all over:)

They are both series with transforming mechs and some singing and that's about it.Honestly, it's as if people feel obligated to hate RT because they like Macross. Some of us like both and see them for what they are, two completely different series. Sure they shared the same original animation but that's it. the stories differ greatly. Seriously...

Anyway BOT....LLA just felt like a a cheap filler to divert attention away from Shadow Rising. It wasn't all that good but then again I judge it harshly as Lancer is one of my favorite RT character. Didn't like the ending at all. I always wondered why Tatsunoko doesn't animate an RT piece. They did a good job on Cashern Sins, would love to see themdo an RT project.

I think any Japanese company would find it a far better option to do something new rather than to stick a Robotech label on a story. It's not like Robotech has name recognition in Japan and the people that do know it are probably the ones involved in the acrimonious lawsuits. A better option for Tatsunoko would be to find some fresh new story with some great mech designs and then sell the international rights to HG who could then label it Robotech. Unfortunately, it appears that the Japanese market has 'evolved' and isn't looking for space operas any more, its' looking for things that draw in a younger audience (yes there are exceptions). I also doubt that HG could afford to purchase rights these days or has the stomach/nerve to add to the Robotech universe outside of stories that directly relate to their marketable characters because lets face it, the Robotech name is also meaningless beyond a very specific set of people these days and most of that set just want the story to continue... not leap to some new story that might be happening within the same universe.

LOL, ya know.. It's all ancient because HG isn't allowed to create any new macross stories.

That's why anything new is from another series.

That reason, and that reason only is why RT will always be recycled

non-Macross filler. Why the vision failed, you can't jump in the ring with Ali because

You think you can box.

That's what Macek did. He got KO'd.

And Knock'd off is exactly what he did to the story.

Yune just adds to it by continuing to mix cartoons in last ditch efforts

To keep the trademark from fossilizing.

I can only cringe at what the future holds for this brand.

Bubblegum Crisis will probably be the next exciting chapter of ROBOTECH!

If HG doesn't move on to different worlds, or timelines, I agree, this stuff will be recycled. The next technology advancement will bring out another "remastered" series to sell in the new format.

Taking a few pages from the Gundam series, they all have sorta the same theme going. Bad guys oppressing the good guys, robot s kick each other's butt. New mecha, new charcters, new stories.

Sadly, I do not believe that HG will invest in good writers and animation. The "cheap desktop" animation from the shadow chronicles is proof of that. Seriously, a real estate company is not an animation studio. Period.

Guest davidwhangchoi

If HG doesn't move on to different worlds, or timelines, I agree, this stuff will be recycled. The next technology advancement will bring out another "remastered" series to sell in the new format.

I agree. I think HG is influencing us also. Looking back on this thread, I noticed our posts and points are being recycled every few or so pages.

"The HG Effect"

HG announces a new Robotech title.

Hg claims: it's new fresh exciting, alot has gone into this production. it's been 8 years in the making because so much work went into this.

Robotech Fans: This is great, Macross and Anime Fans should be grateful for HG, without them there would be no Macross and anime in the west.

Macross World Member 1: Actually... that is not entirely accurate. There were several shows....

Robotech Fans: but my personal experience was that i knew Macross bc of Robotech therefore HG was the reason for anime...

MW member 2: Well actually robotech was one of many shows that came over to the west...

Robotech product is released:

Movie/Anime critics agree is not worth buying

MW member 1: lol

MW member 2: Why are we talking about this crap product?

Robotech Fan: This is great, Macross and Anime Fans should be grateful for HG, without them there would be no Macross and anime in the west.

MW member 1: repeat steps above

Robotech Fan: repeat steps above

MW member 2: Well actually... (repeat steps above)

MW member 3: #^&$ HG!!!

Robotech Fan: why so much hate towards Robotech, you should be grateful for HG... (repeat steps above)

MW member 4: #@% YOU!!!

MW mods: Calm down or we're shutting it down talk about LLA and attack HG not each other (secretly laughing)

Everyone goes to ninja mode for a few days

Start process over...

i'm infected.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I guess I will see it, but why does it take them SO LONG to make an hour plus of animation. The first sequel OVA or whatever it was took them YEARS from start of the product to shipping DVDs.

Can you have a discussion without being disrespectful? I have not attacked Macross in any way; I said that Robotech was different. I used the analogy of Star Wars vs Star Trek because it is a matter of taste and different people like one more than the other but it doesn't necessarily mean the other is lesser or worse. I came to knowing anime via Robotech and have a longer history with it than with Macross. I just think they are very different things due to the execution of the story. And as they moved away from the source material, both have shown how different they are. I certainly don't know anime more than you - or so I can safely assume as I don't like to watch too much with subtitles. I may know more about Robotech than you - or maybe not. But that doesn't me better or you better. So please don't judge me as I am not judging you. We are just talking about a movie!

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes, and kind of imagine that the "Robotech Defenders" (note the clever pay on words) are something of a hive-mind, just as if one "lying Macross purist" says something dumb, the Robotech fans think EVERY Macross purist believes it.

I apologize. Honestly.

And yeah, I agree that Robotech was, overall, not bad. I certainly loved it as a kid (although I knew it was three different animes stitched together. Trying to convince my classmates of this was where my bitterness started), and yes, the follow-ups are VERY different than the Macross follow-ups.

But I still think that LLA is just a simple cash-grab, with HG pretending that it's something it's not. I don't think anyone signed on for a ninety-minute clip-show with barely any new footage (not "new" footage, but new footage). STILL, on the internet, you've got people who haven't seen "Mospeada: LLA" saying, "That was fifty minutes. This is NINETY! There must be a TON of new stuff in it!" Personally, while I think that appreciating Robotech in its place is all well and good, expecting anything from it at this point is kind of delusional. HG, I think, doesn't have the talent to make anything worthwhile. Even the Sentinels, in my opinion, was VASTLY wrong-headed.

As wrong-headed as I think the Sentinels was, though... it's still nothing on LLA (or Shadow Chronicles).

I'm not sure I will see Robotech: LLA. I thought david's assessment of the circular nature of Robotech discussions above was accurate, which is why I do my best to move on from this stuff. As I noted earlier, I appreciate where I learned about anime; however, I do not hold any obligation to the companies that originally introduced me to it. If those companies continue to produce good quality content (which includes such things as toys, manga, posters, and knick-knacks, as well as anime) then I'll continue to be a customer. If those companies pull out of the market or reduce their quality in the industry, then I have no reason to spend my money on their products.

All in all, that's how I moved on from Robotech. It was fun while it lasted, and it will remain a fond childhood memory. I do not need anything from Harmony Gold today and I do not want anything from them either.

I do not intend to force anyone else's opinion in this.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes, and kind of imagine that the "Robotech Defenders" (note the clever pay on words) are something of a hive-mind, just as if one "lying Macross purist" says something dumb, the Robotech fans think EVERY Macross purist believes it.

I apologize. Honestly.

And yeah, I agree that Robotech was, overall, not bad. I certainly loved it as a kid (although I knew it was three different animes stitched together. Trying to convince my classmates of this was where my bitterness started), and yes, the follow-ups are VERY different than the Macross follow-ups.

But I still think that LLA is just a simple cash-grab, with HG pretending that it's something it's not. I don't think anyone signed on for a ninety-minute clip-show with barely any new footage (not "new" footage, but new footage). STILL, on the internet, you've got people who haven't seen "Mospeada: LLA" saying, "That was fifty minutes. This is NINETY! There must be a TON of new stuff in it!" Personally, while I think that appreciating Robotech in its place is all well and good, expecting anything from it at this point is kind of delusional. HG, I think, doesn't have the talent to make anything worthwhile. Even the Sentinels, in my opinion, was VASTLY wrong-headed.

As wrong-headed as I think the Sentinels was, though... it's still nothing on LLA (or Shadow Chronicles).

you're the man Gubaba, btw, i like your fan fiction translation works... i feel like this is a Macross plus moment when Yang wakes up in the back seat of the 19... :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

you're the man Gubaba, btw, i like your fan fiction stories... i feel like this is a Macross plus moment when Yang wakes up in the back seat of the 19... :)

"Fan Fiction"... I never posted my only fan fiction story (in which Claudia goes to see "DYRL" in 2031 and meets someone unexpected). What are you talking about?

Guest davidwhangchoi

"Fan Fiction"... I never posted my only fan fiction story (in which Claudia goes to see "DYRL" in 2031 and meets someone unexpected). What are you talking about?

opps sorry i meant translations not fanfiction... please forgive... posted without checking my words...

opps sorry i meant translations not fanfiction... please forgive... posted without checking my words...

DAMN... The Misa novel is OFFICIAL, yo... written by one of the scriptwriters. Fan-fic, it's not. SERIOUSLY. (Something tells me I should create a new thread to clarify this... ^_^ )

Guest davidwhangchoi

DAMN... The Misa novel is OFFICIAL, yo... written by one of the scriptwriters. Fan-fic, it's not. SERIOUSLY. (Something tells me I should create a new thread to clarify this... ^_^ )

no don't it was a novella, i just wrote fast... look at all my previous posts you'll see edit... it's not you... it's me.

I guess I will see it, but why does it take them SO LONG to make an hour plus of animation. The first sequel OVA or whatever it was took them YEARS from start of the product to shipping DVDs.

The didn't make an hour+ of animation. It's all reused footage with a few minutes of new stuff.

I agree. I think HG is influencing us also. Looking back on this thread, I noticed our posts and points are being recycled every few or so pages.

Start process over...

And this is why many of us just stopped responding to these threads. This is one of the many reasons why the Licensing thread was shut down. Why so many other threads were shut down. Until something new comes out, something so radically different, this cycle will repeat. And unless you want to stay on this train to nowhere, I would strongly suggest getting off. Right. Now.

Now, regarding LLA, nowhere do I see on the ads of what those 90-minutes of RT:LLA actually is comprised of. Mospeada: LLA was 50 minutes of clip show. So that's 40 minutes of additional footage + extras + trailers + whatever other stuff they could put on the disc.

Now, regarding LLA, nowhere do I see on the ads of what those 90-minutes of RT:LLA actually is comprised of. Mospeada: LLA was 50 minutes of clip show. So that's 40 minutes of additional footage + extras + trailers + whatever other stuff they could put on the disc.

Oh, they saved all of that for the 20-disc collection, on sale in November.

Guest davidwhangchoi

"The HG Effect"

HG announces a new Robotech title.

Hg claims: it's new fresh exciting, alot has gone into this production. it's been 8 years in the making because so much work went into this.

Robotech Fans: This is great, Macross and Anime Fans should be grateful for HG, without them there would be no Macross and anime in the west.

Macross World Member 1: Actually... that is not entirely accurate. There were several shows....

Robotech Fans: but my personal experience was that i knew Macross bc of Robotech therefore HG was the reason for anime...

MW member 2: Well actually robotech was one of many shows that came over to the west...

Robotech product is released:

Movie/Anime critics agree is not worth buying

MW member 1: lol

MW member 2: Why are we talking about this crap product?

Robotech Fan: This is great, Macross and Anime Fans should be grateful for HG, without them there would be no Macross and anime in the west.

MW member 1: repeat steps above

Robotech Fan: repeat steps above

MW member 2: Well actually... (repeat steps above)

MW member 3: #^&$ HG!!!

Robotech Fan: why so much hate towards Robotech, you should be grateful for HG... (repeat steps above)

MW member 4: #@% YOU!!!

MW mods: Calm down or we're shutting it down talk about LLA and attack HG not each other (secretly laughing)

Everyone goes to ninja mode for a few days

Start process over...

i'm infected.

opps i forgot to add one more to the list:

Casual MW bystander, jumps in an "Off Topic" anime/science fiction thread and goes "OT" in an "OT" thread.

i came in the middle of the thread and wham! at first, i was like what? what is going on?...

the thread was on Why My Little Pony is still relevant and why Gi joe is still around and HG is not relevant...

because it was already OT... i randomly jumped in and gave my childhood biography on cartoons.

And this is why many of us just stopped responding to these threads. This is one of the many reasons why the Licensing thread was shut down. Why so many other threads were shut down. Until something new comes out, something so radically different, this cycle will repeat. And unless you want to stay on this train to nowhere, I would strongly suggest getting off. Right. Now.

RE: The arguments going on forever... i see... but it's actually interesting reading people's posts on it. i actually learned a lot reading the arguments here... also, this thread is very entertaining.. forgot about LLA for a bit there... apologies...

i did watch shadow chronicles and came over on this thread to get a sense of what's the actual contents on LLA's 2 set dvd bc i don't trust HG's promos. I was wondering why is it not a standalone. i don't need shadow chronicles... now i know why... looks like i have to get a free copy of LLA and see this clip-show everyone here is talking about...