• 3 weeks later...

Dengeki Hobby scoops upcoming Bandai HG Scopedog Extension Parts Sets:

https://hobby.dengeki.com/news/1978459/

parts 1:
  • Set contents: Cockpit reproduction body, facial expression set, image effect set in the play, pilot figure (sitting)

1000192429_2_FS5TTk_Bzr10SZR7oqdQlALoQz-b9eNL.jpg.ec561caf8d46b7ba94253e781dc86f49.jpg

parts 2:
  • Set contents: heavy machine gun modified, shoulder missile gun pod, solid shooter, pilot figure (standing), water slide decal

1000192430_2_PRdB9GayX5eJZMqDtJorsd8OCFJPAHe2.jpg.d1404760d97387e8daa896c02f4a051f.jpg

both parts will each be:
  • Price: 1,760 yen (tax included)
  • Scheduled to be shipped in November 2023

What do they mean by facial expression set in the first add on pack? And are there pictures of the decals for the second pack?

I’m still on the fence over this scopedog since I already have a few wave kits and decals and none of these packs have a back pack. Also the cost is pretty high if you want everything and it’s not to scale with any other Votoms stuff that I already have 

I may get one out of curiosity, but probably not the add on packs since the basic kit has an open hand included, just too bad there’s no closed fist included unless you buy the add on. I’m also worried the side armor will fall off easily since it looks like a thin ball joint

Edited by Big s

1 hour ago, hachi said:

Will this mean other mecha from Votoms have possibility of releasing HG in the future? I got the 1/20 Votoms but the box was way too big.

It’s possible, the other classics haven’t had any additions. They recently hg kits for Vifamwith the Vifam, a Sirbine, the Dragonar 1 for example but haven’t even announced other kits for those, but those were web exclusives. The hg Macross line has so far 4 kits either in the works or have been released, but those are mostly standard releases so maybe since this Scopedog is a standard release they might do more kits in this line. I would like to see other kits for the previously mentioned lines and if they get serious about Votoms in hg, I will be tempted. It’s kind of a guessing game with Bandai in that you sometimes get one great kit and nothing else to go with it 

If you’re interested in smaller kits for Votoms, wave has been doing a fairly good job at getting a good amount of the designs out there in 1/35. The Bandai kits look more poseable though. Although to get a good complete scopedog with accessories, it may end up the same price since Bandai is only doing the basic unit and then web exclusives for the add ons 

By the way, if you have the 1/20 kit, I highly recommend building it. It’s a real joy with so much detail and avoiding seams and painting. If you’re a lazy builder and don’t want to do all the extra work, you can easily get away with just snapping it up and a little panel lining or add a little weathering 

Edited by Big s

On 6/22/2023 at 6:20 PM, Big s said:

It’s possible, the other classics haven’t had any additions. They recently hg kits for Vifamwith the Vifam, a Sirbine, the Dragonar 1 for example but haven’t even announced other kits for those, but those were web exclusives. The hg Macross line has so far 4 kits either in the works or have been released, but those are mostly standard releases so maybe since this Scopedog is a standard release they might do more kits in this line. I would like to see other kits for the previously mentioned lines and if they get serious about Votoms in hg, I will be tempted. It’s kind of a guessing game with Bandai in that you sometimes get one great kit and nothing else to go with it 

If you’re interested in smaller kits for Votoms, wave has been doing a fairly good job at getting a good amount of the designs out there in 1/35. The Bandai kits look more poseable though. Although to get a good complete scopedog with accessories, it may end up the same price since Bandai is only doing the basic unit and then web exclusives for the add ons 

By the way, if you have the 1/20 kit, I highly recommend building it. It’s a real joy with so much detail and avoiding seams and painting. If you’re a lazy builder and don’t want to do all the extra work, you can easily get away with just snapping it up and a little panel lining or add a little weathering 

Yep I already built the 1/20 kit. It was good but something smaller is also tempting. I think I'll wait for reviews first then order later.

3 hours ago, hachi said:

Yep I already built the 1/20 kit. It was good but something smaller is also tempting. I think I'll wait for reviews first then order later.

I think the overall reviews will be pretty good judging by how many joints are in the basic kit. I’m still wondering if that side armor will pop off easy though. Most of the Votoms stuff I have either clips on the side or has a hinge joint. The Bandai hg kit has a thin hole for a ball joint 

5 hours ago, treatment said:

upcoming new HG Scopedog feature difference from the original Bandai 1/20 variant spotted:

https://twitter.com/hyogetu_japan/status/1671123742108573696?cxt=HHwWgIDTgZCMg7EuAAAA

FzEGL3qakAABoZ9.jpeg.e48ab5f080d00a52c1daa3b5b10c86b8.jpeg

There’s more differences than what’s circled. Off the top of my head, there the rotating upper leg joint, the ball joint at the side armor, the joints at the body to do an an crunch, the joint at the connector for the shoulder to the body to allow more over body reach and no cockpit. There might be more that I’m forgetting at the moment.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

This thing might have some impressive joints.

It’s more like they ditched the cockpit for the joints. Most of them look pretty obvious, but they seem to work. Still a bit skeptical about that side armor staying on.

• 2 weeks later...

The plamax Strike Dog is up for preorder. It looks pretty great with a full cockpit and includes decals as well as a standing figure. Doesn’t look like it can do downform though, but has odd little bits for customization included on the ends of the sprues 

• 4 weeks later...

The thing that I've always liked about Votoms is the pilot's visual interface.  Very forward thinking for the early 80's.  It's a very practical way to get a sort of 360 degree cockpit.  In a ways better as you could make it a double camera (sensor) for actual depth perception.  Although I'm not sure if having left and right sensors with a single lens works that way or not.  Its probably also a lot easier to repair when damaged.

On 8/21/2023 at 11:53 PM, DewPoint said:

The thing that I've always liked about Votoms is the pilot's visual interface.  Very forward thinking for the early 80's.  It's a very practical way to get a sort of 360 degree cockpit.  In a ways better as you could make it a double camera (sensor) for actual depth perception.  Although I'm not sure if having left and right sensors with a single lens works that way or not.  Its probably also a lot easier to repair when damaged.

I’ve always liked the headset idea. With the goggles down, you see what the mecha sees. And then you can easily switch sites, although the process is over complicated it still looks cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I love what they did on the shoulder joint. But I think I'm going to pass up on this one. I know it's a good desktop size. But for some reason, I find the DMZ 1/18th Scopedog a good size. I know it will take some space on my shelf. But it looks tank-y enough that it really needed a shelf presence. ;) 

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Wave 1/24 SCOPEDOG
December 2023 Release
Y9000

wv231210.jpg

wv231212.jpg

wv231213.jpg

wv231214.jpg

wv231215.jpg

wv231216.jpg

wv231218.jpg

wv231219.jpg

wv231217.jpg

wv231220.jpg

wv231223.jpg

wv231221.jpg

wv231222.jpg

wv231224.jpg

wv231224a.jpg

wv231224b.jpg

wv231224c.jpg

I saw this for preorder the other night and was thinking that for not much more than Bandai’s high grade with option pack 1, you get a much more detailed and bigger kit. It is strange to see that both Wave and Max Factory are in the same scale right now