cool print! how do i get one?

You had to go to the Mondo convention to get the foil version. I made the trip as when they released Akira in a similar method that immediately went out of my price range. The foil version is available from people who don't want it. Resellers, flippers, or scalpers on eBay. But tommorow the normal version comes out. Check this link -

https://t.e2ma.net/webview/hcufi/601289d2395f2d95618e7c40c9dd3615

It will be on sale here -

http://www.mondotees.com.

They usually put them up around 10AM - noon. But good luck. With only 325 of the normal too they will go fast. I think the foil will be better anyway for diehard Ghost in the Shell fans for the way it's like the stealth camo.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to the 4th Arise movie. Finally I got that proper GITS feel from it. There were a lot of scenes that seemed like a direct homage to the classic 95 film (Motoko lifting the hatch of the tank for example).

So what's next for Arise? Another film in 15', right?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Day 1 cinema freebies were pretty sweet :-)

Overall, better than Arise, but makes little sense if you haven't seen Arise.

An unexpected hommage at the end to both the original 1995 theatrical feature and Stand Alone Complex too.

post-9325-0-37712000-1435990468_thumb.jpg

post-9325-0-71610800-1435990486_thumb.jpg

I believe they had an ad for those sketches (genga / douga) after one of the trailers. They also released a book with all the drawings from the original movie. I have to get that one myself.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is an Arise Motoko figure coming out from Kotobukiya. Even though I don't really like the Arise Motoko design that much, the pose is pure Motoko and I'll probably have to get her. I guess the days of movie and SAC Ghost in the Shell figures are just about over at this point.

Edited by JetJockey

I liked Arise, but I prefer the SAC version of how she met her team members, and their respective personalities. I'm not familiar with the manga at all, so which was closer to the source?

What's with Saito always sleeping? :lol:

As for figures, Arise is current, so it's not surprising that it's the focus of figure and model companies. Classic GiTS and SAC still have a strong following among fans, and eventually once Arise has run its course and fervor dies down, my feeling is that they'll return to making original GiTS and SAC stuff.

• 1 month later...

There is an Arise Motoko figure coming out from Kotobukiya. Even though I don't really like the Arise Motoko design that much, the pose is pure Motoko and I'll probably have to get her. I guess the days of movie and SAC Ghost in the Shell figures are just about over at this point.

I agree that it looks pretty cool.

post-1187-0-22211000-1458811535_thumb.jpg

http://hobby.dengeki.com/news/177186/

I liked Arise, but I prefer the SAC version of how she met her team members, and their respective personalities. I'm not familiar with the manga at all, so which was closer to the source?

Neither, as the comics don't show the team being assembled. :p

There's a prologue with The Major working solo, and then chapter 1 the gang's all here.

I've never actually gotten around to watching SAC or Arise, so I can't actually say which series is closer to the original characterizations.

As for figures, Arise is current, so it's not surprising that it's the focus of figure and model companies. Classic GiTS and SAC still have a strong following among fans, and eventually once Arise has run its course and fervor dies down, my feeling is that they'll return to making original GiTS and SAC stuff.

I've pre-ordered the Arise figure, but I really hope your read on GitS figures comes true. I would kill for a good articulated figure of the original GitS movie Motoko. WIth the cream/grey colored armor and a good assortment of the movie-style guns she used. That's the product I want to see the most. Some Batou love would be really nice too.

I've pre-ordered the Arise figure, but I really hope your read on GitS figures comes true. I would kill for a good articulated figure of the original GitS movie Motoko. WIth the cream/grey colored armor and a good assortment of the movie-style guns she used. That's the product I want to see the most. Some Batou love would be really nice too.

I've been hoping for years that MF might someday make an Oshii version Motoko and Batou.

What's with Saito always sleeping? :lol:

Classic Shirow for me... My favorite figures is probably the Alpha/Toycom PVC figs... but man I hate PVC... I do prefer the SAC Tachis tho.

29075.jpg

I just remembered which Motoko figure is my absolute favorite... it's this! It's the one that comes with the The Good Smile die-cast tachikoma. It's 1/18th scale but it has a perfect face sculpt and a fully articulated figure. Plus it comes with an awesome toy tachikoma!

612WBlFaCfS._SL1200_.jpg

I just remembered which Motoko figure is my absolute favorite... it's this! It's the one that comes with the The Good Smile die-cast tachikoma. It's 1/18th scale but it has a perfect face sculpt and a fully articulated figure. Plus it comes with an awesome toy tachikoma!

I can't believe I didn't know this existed. Must have confused this with both the Fewture and Revoltech ones--passed on those 2 because they didn't even come with static figurines to pose with the Tachi's.

$500's way too rich for my blood--even $200 is way too steep, given the low currency rate where I'm at now. I might settle for Kotobukiya's Logicoma kit if HLJ has it on sale. Trouble is, I never build the kits I buy. :lol:

Edited by GU-11

I've been hoping for years that MF might someday make an Oshii version Motoko and Batou.

I've only recently got back into purchasing some collectibles (just a few and mostly the smaller, far cheaper stuff), but in researching for figures to buy I was really shocked the Oshii GitS stuff is really minimal. Given how many older anime series and films (like Macross!) have plenty of models, figures and statues, I was surprised.

For such a small figure, the styling and articulation actually look pretty damned good. I remember when this came out, I gave serious thought to getting one. Still a realy impressive looking product.

I've only recently got back into purchasing some collectibles (just a few and mostly the smaller, far cheaper stuff), but in researching for figures to buy I was really shocked the Oshii GitS stuff is really minimal. Given how many older anime series and films (like Macross!) have plenty of models, figures and statues, I was surprised.

Me too. Given that Oshii's movie is one of the classics of the "golden age of anime" (the 90's, at any rate), I expected a ton of figs and statues to be made for it. Hell, even SAC stuff seems rather lacking in comparison to other comparative anime/manga franchises. It took MF like 13 years after the series to finally produce a Motoko figure. I know there was one other company that produced a Motoko fig, but that just makes 2, and nothing for the rest of the cast.

Me too. Given that Oshii's movie is one of the classics of the "golden age of anime" (the 90's, at any rate), I expected a ton of figs and statues to be made for it. Hell, even SAC stuff seems rather lacking in comparison to other comparative anime/manga franchises. It took MF like 13 years after the series to finally produce a Motoko figure. I know there was one other company that produced a Motoko fig, but that just makes 2, and nothing for the rest of the cast.

I'm puzzled by that as well. I've seen more merchandise for anime films/series that were far less successful (both commercially and critically) than the first GitS film. And it seemed to spawn the larger franchise. I'm hoping that the motivation of most of the toy manufacturers is to produce product for the "current/recent" GitS films/series and then produce the older stuff later. I live in hope :)

I'm puzzled by that as well. I've seen more merchandise for anime films/series that were far less successful (both commercially and critically) than the first GitS film. And it seemed to spawn the larger franchise. I'm hoping that the motivation of most of the toy manufacturers is to produce product for the "current/recent" GitS films/series and then produce the older stuff later. I live in hope :)

I think everyone just gravitates towards Stand alone complex for merch because it has the most conventionally marketable aesthetic.

there were a lot of figures produced for GitS, though they tended to be smallish and crappy (but a handful were 1/6 - 1/8).

the manga spawned gashapons too, as did SAC along with trading, prize, and action figures.

non-MC figures are not common, even for wildly successful shows. but there were figures for Batou, Togusa and the blond chick with the missing lower half. i have a figure of CEO Jameson (the box robot with a brain inside) and the nurse.

i wouldn't say there was a dearth of GitS figures. maybe just not the types we want to collect.

i recently got this (2015 release) on clearance:

unc55652_0_1432889944.jpg?v=1432889944

the site myfigurecollection lists at least 30 Motoko figures, excluding gashapons and action figures.

the following figures are all from the past decade, not including those from ARISE:

61834.jpg?t=130228974657053.jpg?t=13140622285560.jpg?t=1441190068

2409.jpg?t=1300104976296.jpg?t=141463258765894.jpg?t=1377324918388.jpg?t=1416500276

there are also more than a dozen Motoko posable figures, including one by Yamato.

still, i'm looking for the definitive Motoko figure. it could've been the one shown above with a Tachikoma base, but the face sculpt is subpar. shame, as it was 1/6.

and all manner of shame for this one :p

$_57.JPG

Edited by Major Focker

One should hope so. Well, fingers crossed. ;)

there were a lot of figures produced for GitS, though they tended to be smallish and crappy (but a handful were 1/6 - 1/8).

the manga spawned gashapons too, as did SAC along with trading, prize, and action figures.

non-MC figures are not common, even for wildly successful shows. but there were figures for Batou, Togusa and the blond chick with the missing lower half. i have a figure of CEO Jameson (the box robot with a brain inside) and the nurse.

i wouldn't say there was a dearth of GitS figures. maybe just not the types we want to collect.

i recently got this (2015 release) on clearance:

the site myfigurecollection lists at least 30 Motoko figures, excluding gashapons and action figures.

the following figures are all from the past decade, not including those from ARISE:

there are also more than a dozen Motoko posable figures, including one by Yamato.

still, i'm looking for the definitive Motoko figure. it could've been the one shown above with a Tachikoma base, but the face sculpt is subpar. shame, as it was 1/6.

and all manner of shame for this one :p

Clearly, I haven't been doing my homework. I never knew there were so many non-posable figurines of SAC Motoko made. And that last one...please tell me that's just some guy's amateur attempt at customizing a Motoko figure. :lol:

Still, sad that there's little to no love for the Oshii movie version. It was the movie that got me into anime in the first place.

Edited by GU-11

that last one was a commercial release by Takara.

this is the image inspiration :

they sure nailed it! ;)

edit: just for kicks, here she is without glasses

giphy.gif

How on God's green earth does one take a gorgeous illustration like this and end up with that? :lol:

Damn, that looks more like Motoko's male stunt double! :p

Edited by GU-11