Finally watched it. As a standalone I'd love it, but this is GITS we're talking about so they have to do even better. I thought the animation and designs were slightly disappointing considering it's GITS, it's a movie budget and it's 2013. But the story and characters are there and well. Yeah I'll the old voices, specially Atsuko Tanaka's deep voice for the Major, but I suppose a younger Motoko Kusanagi calls for a younger sounding voice.

I hope they kick it up a notch for no. 2. I'll be game anyway.

Next episode looks to have some good action in it. I hope it's better than the first episode.

Also, I was channel surfing this weekend and happened to stop on this show called "Hollywood Exes." One of the Exes almost has Motoko's hairstyle. I've seen cosplayers with wigs and stuff. But never someone with their hair really close to the actual style.

• 1 month later...

Old news, but no one have uploaded those things yet.

At Banpresto booth of All Japan Model & Hobby Show.

post-14942-0-06184300-1383074168_thumb.jpg

At Anitama Sai in Ohmiya. The GitS booth and the Android/ iOS App.

post-14942-0-48650800-1383074184_thumb.jpgpost-14942-0-67826300-1383074199_thumb.jpg

saw the first episode, thought it was ok, but I'm not to found of a tomboyish Motoko right now, or hell, even a weak one as thi sone seems to be.

buuuuuuuuut it was ok all in all.

IIRC, The Major's always been somewhat mannish in the animated movies and shows.

I meant Arise on it's own... how is it's popularity in Japan? ;)

Oh, it has a certain number of fans, so the Ichiban-kuji will be released.

What I can say is it's popular enough to sell such goodies, so, so so.

So many fans here are now talking about Madoka Magika, and I don't hear about the other animes' popularity so often recently...

Edited by antibiotictab

Old news, but no one have uploaded those things yet.

At Banpresto booth of All Japan Model & Hobby Show.

attachicon.gifGEDC0184.JPG

At Anitama Sai in Ohmiya. The GitS booth and the Android/ iOS App.

attachicon.gifIMG_2564.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2588.JPG

Motoko's character looks pretty good animated. I wonder how much that will translate to the figure. It looks ok now but it's too rough to tell.

• 5 weeks later...

I watched the latest episode a few days ago. It's clearly a reboot now. I don't know why they did this. I'm not going to be completely negative on the visuals because I saw it on the Net. But almost everything about the show is inferior to the movies and SAC. From the music, character designs, etc. They include little bits for fans to tie into the other series. But this is I guess for a new audience. There is a lot of action in this one and a few good cyberspace scenes. But other than that nothing to make me watch again. Which is a shame since previous Ghost in the Shell shows are always worth multiple viewings.

I don't know why they just didn't go with the Man Machine Interface story. I've never read it. Heard it was too much fan service. But the movie and SAC told a fairly consistent story with Motoko. This all new origin decision is just odd to me.

Edited by JetJockey

I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed, but not in the way some might think.

I've got nothing against the reboot, but for an origin story, I'd have preferred it if they wound back the timeline a lot further, recounting her days as a soldier, and the wars she fought in. It'd be more interesting to see a completely new environment other than the same old Newport cityscape setting. I'd also like to see her in action in the battlefield, where there are rules of engagement are totally different from her Sector 9 missions.

Just my two cents' worth.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Saw ep 4 at the cinema last weekend. Was decent - definitely the closest they have come to a S.A.C story yet (not yet at those lofty heights of awesomeness tho).

The bigger news tho is that after the end credits there was an announcement for a new movie.

All it said was 'New Ghost in the Shell animated feature coming 2015.'

No word on whether it will be ARISE or something else.

Just watched Border 4. Nicely sets up the series for a rebooted series or movie, with a nod to the 90's Oshii movie in the last part.

Overall, I still prefer Motoko's origin story from SAC 2nd Gig. Like really liked how the whole second season revolved around her and Kuze. Makes her feel more "real" and helps the series feel less episodic.

I'm holding off on watching the last two. I wonder what the movie will be? I assume since it was at the end of Arise that it could be an Arise movie. Just like SAC had Solid State Society. I wasn't really pleased with the first two Arise episodes. Even if the last two are good as a series it probably won't stand up to SAC or the two movies. Perhaps they should restart it with Man Machine Interface. I still haven't read that. But a new start could be good. You don't want to get to the point where every Ghost in the Shell needs Motoko. Even though she is cool.

What's interesting here, is that Motoko Kusanagi's appearance is something that can change not only from one GITS production to another, but inside the very story itself. The relationship between her mind and her body has always been present as a theme. I wouldn't be surprised if one day we get a GITS where she's migrated into a different body with a completely different appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

I changed my mind and watched the last two episodes of Arise because of a reason I’ll mention at the end. Nothing really stuck that much in the third episode. It wasn’t horrible but wasn’t that great either. Once again Motoko is showing faults because she’s not the Motoko of the movies or SAC yet.

The fourth episode was probably the closest to a fairly good episode of SAC. The quick trailer for episode 4 at the end of episode 3 got me excited.

Like the other episodes there are a lot of scenes that reference stuff in the movies and TV show. Also some pretty shots and environments. I think this takes place around Christmas and some scenes show golden streets and snow fall. But overall Arise is just not up there with the movies or TV show in every single category. Maybe they made Arise because the people in charge thought that they did all they could with the TV show. You could almost say the same for the movies. At the end of Arise, I came to the conclusion that the coming 2015 movie will be an Arise movie. I don’t see them going back to the SAC universe after this. And if it was going to be another Mamoru Oshii movie the announcement probably would have been a lot bigger. The end of Arise seemed like they were setting it up as the new Ghost in the Shell series. Using what we know from the TV show and movies and creating something “new” to go forward with. If not it would be admitting that Arise was a failure. An attempt to restart the series again that didn’t catch on with fans.

It’s the 25th anniversary of Ghost in the Shell. That’s why I decided to watch the last two Arise episodes and I wanted to tweak things with my setup and pick up stuff I’ve been putting off. Plus this came out at the first Mondo convention.

post-15104-0-33831400-1412566852_thumb.jpg

It’s a Ghost in the Shell movie screenprint by Martin Ansin, one of the go to artists at the Mondo company. I get their newsletter every week just in case they have anime prints. They had another Ghost in the Shell screenprint earlier in the year from the Comic Con. But it wasn’t as good as this one. They have released some other anime screenprints before but this is by far their best one to me. The guy in charge called it the print of the year and they only made 325 of them.