Which is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Jolly Rogers

Which is your favorite Star Wars movie?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Star Wars movie?

• Episode I: The Phantom Menance
    • Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    • Episode IV: A New Hope
    • Episode V: Empire Strikes Back
    • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

What about Ewoks: The Battle for Endor starring Wilford Brimley?!!!! :(

That gem of the small screen's genius will never be truely realized in our lifetimes... :lol:

ESB is by far the best, but KOTR beats them all.....too bad it's not a movie and too bad it shows that George Lucas is not the real magic behind Star Wars... the real magic came from the art dept!

Edited by Veifwan Es

Honestly I enjoyed the Ewok movies. The first one the most. They were really nice. Hmm I haven't watched them in a long time. I think I still have a copy of them on VHS, I wonder if they were ever released on DVD. I mean they are apart of the the Star Wars canon. Girl from them actually appeared in one of the Star Wars novels. Don't remember which one, it was a small part but she was still there. She was actually a news reporter on one of the planets if I remember correctly.

Edited by Effect

Classic Trilogy over prequels anyday. I give a slight nod to Empire over Return, but I like both. A New Hope is okay, but its most redeeming quality is having to drink a beer/take a shot everytime Luke whines about something (But I was going to Taschi Station to pick up some power converters!). :lol:

A New Hope is okay, but its most redeeming quality is having to drink a beer/take a shot everytime Luke whines about something (But I was going to Taschi Station to pick up some power converters!). :lol:

Hahaha, it takes alot to get me wasted, but man, if I was playing that drinking game I'd be blammo really quick :lol:

Vostok 7

My order:

The Empire Strike Back

A New Hope

Phantom Menance

Attack of the Clones

Return of the Jedi

When you look at the total amount of money A New Hope brought in when it came out, and you adjust for inflation, there isn't a single movie these days that even comes close to it. The only movie that tops it all time is Gone With The Wind. Everybody is impressed when they see a movie like Spiderman make 300 million, but you have to remember that was made with people paying 8 or 9 dollars a ticket. It doesn't even break the top 20 all time when you adjust for inflation.

The original Star Wars is THE blockbuster movie. Empire, Jedi, and Phantom Menace all make the top 20. As much as people love to rip on Lucas these days, we are talking about the greatest and highest grossing movie franchise of all time. Hell, the original trilogy blows everything else out of the water by themselves. No other movie franchise even threatens them. Simply amazing. Hell, even my Grandma likes Star Wars!

What? She would have to be 10 for him to be "allowed" to fall in love with her? Give me a break! :rolleyes:

No, the fact that he's suddenly 16 by the next movie and she hasn't changed a bit is a touch of a stretch.

Vostok 7

So you find it hard to believe that.... 10 years went by between movies?

Right. <_<

Which do I like the best?  Phantom Menace.

Why?  Jar Jar Binks

Will I explain?  No.

;)

:blink::unsure:

Vostok 7

Some people actually like Jar Jar, as crazy at that seems. My Dad really liked him for some reason, but then again he dragged me to go see Wild Wild West, so... <_<

When you look at the total amount of money A New Hope brought in when it came out, and you adjust for inflation, there isn't a single movie these days that even comes close to it. The only movie that tops it all time is Gone With The Wind. Everybody is impressed when they see a movie like Spiderman make 300 million, but you have to remember that was made with people paying 8 or 9 dollars a ticket. It doesn't even break the top 20 all time when you adjust for inflation.

Judging movies based on the amoutn of money they made is a pretty flawed concept, I guess you could always adjust for inflation but even still that seems a bit skewed. I never got why it was just based on number of tickets sold... that stays the same no matter the time. But I suppose with Hollywood's money-driven reasonings...

Not a big SW fan. In fact I'm not a fan of Sci-fi at all, but out of the SW movies I have seen, Empire Strikes Back is the one I liked the best.

FYI: Macross is a Sci-Fi show/movie... Do you think it is a Sitcom? :D:D:D

IMHO Macross has strong influences from SW: starfighters battles, spaceships being blown away, starships destroying a planet, gigantic spaceships, etc.

I know, Uchu Senkan Yamato came before SW and already had most of those elements...

For me ESB is the best, followed by ANH (hey that movie IS SW!!!)

Empire Strikes Back.

Would have been Return of the Jedi, but the Ewoks knocked it down a notch. The space battle and throne room stuff was sweet though.

My ranking...

1. Empire - best director, best script, best film... no competition.

2. A New Hope - it was the first and had the most heart.

3. Return of the Jedi - though the weakest of the OT, it kills the Prequels.

4. Attack of the Clones - better than Ep1... but still very lacking.

5. The Phantom Menace - what the hell were they thinking?

I guess my favorite is still ANH (can't beat the original), with ESB being second. Don't really care for any of the others.

I'm of the same opinion. Even though ESB had many things going for it, it still misses ANH because it's already showing signs of the cutification and merchandization effects that swamped the later movies. I was deeply disappointed with RotJ, but on rewatching it I usually find myself thinking it's not too bad up until the last 1/3 or so. Then it drops off the edge of the table, what with Ewoks, the fragmentation of the narrative, and the way the Emperor turns out to be a Dark Side wizard or whatever. People who saw the first movie when they were old enough to understand what was going on will remember that "The Force" was originally subject to derision by the mainstream of the Empire (e.g. Grand Moff Tarkin).

I went to TPM shortly after it opened and was appalled. Didn't bother with AotC. I reckon when the third prequel comes out, if it gets great reviews, I'll rent the first two and watch them with my wife before seeing it in the theatre. (She's never seen any SW.) Otherwise, I'll just wait to watch the whole series on video.

Edited by ewilen

My favorite of the films is Empire.

Too bad Lucas completely killed 99% of my starwars fanboy fervor when he made Episode 1, and then the coup de grace with Episode 2. Subsequent to those two terrible, atrocious movies, my star wars fandom has declined dramatically. I no longer am interested in toys/figures like I used to be, even reissues or new figures from the original trilogy.

While I won't go so far as to say that "Lucas raped my childhood", he did assault it pretty thoroughly, leaving a bloodied, disenchanted former fanboy in his wake.

At this point I'd rather see another installment of Howard the Duck than another Star Wars. We all know how it ends and how laughably bad Lucas's direction, dialogue and storyline will lead up to it.

Been a fan of Star Wars almost as long as I've been a fan of Macross, Alien, anime, fantasy, and science fiction. It's probably hard to tell which one came first at this point :)

For my part, I disliked The Phantom Menace and have no intention of buying it. Call it a lifestyle choice :) As for the rest, I liked them in this order:

1) The Empire Strikes Back

2) A New Hope

3) Attack of the Clones

4) Return of the Jedi

For me it has to be ROTJ the last battle scene with the death star and the millenium F entering the it was breath taking. It was a pretty well done balance between the 3 scenes ( luke, battle and ewoks in Endor) To that point I don't remember any other movie encompassing such a complex battle scenes; too bad it was short.

If they didn't spend such a long time on Luke struggling for his light saber it would have been one of the top 3 movies of the past century.

No doubt the ESB has the best story and script of them all...

I agree. Irvin Kershner's directing and Leigh Brackett's script made this movie stand out, IMO, from the rest of the films. Unfortunately, Kershner never directed another SW film and Brackett died by the time her script was approx. 90% complete. Lawrence Kasdan was called in to finish it up and went on to script Jedi, which explains it's weak script.

All Empire's weak lines I'll attribute to Kasdan. :p:lol:

I'm all for Return of the Jedi, great action and great story, doesn't get much better than that. I really enjoyed Luke kicking everyone's butt as a Jedi Knight for the first time, lots of fun.

Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope were both great classics that are unmatched by the new trilogy.

And I don't see how Attack of the Clones is worst then Phantom Menace... the only "good" thing about TPM was the short little lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul, that blew me away. But AotC had the huge battle which was spectacular... and Yoda kicking butt!!

But then yea, it had that awful "love story"... can't blame Natalie Portman, she's a good actress but her material and director were obviously sub-par. What irks me is that she's a good actress but 95% of the time she's all mono-tone, what the hell is up with that? It's almost like George Lucas TOLD her not to act... sheesh. They need a new director for EPIII if it is to have any hope.

But then yea, it had that awful "love story"... can't blame Natalie Portman, she's a good actress but her material and director were obviously sub-par. What irks me is that she's a good actress but 95% of the time she's all mono-tone, what the hell is up with that? It's almost like George Lucas TOLD her not to act... sheesh. They need a new director for EPIII if it is to have any hope.

THe same goes for alot of the performers in the new Star Wars movies. Most are decent to good actors, but the dialogue they have to work with is awful. Also George, while a great visionary, is not the best of directors.

I agree. Irvin Kershner's directing and Leigh Brackett's script made this movie stand out, IMO, from the rest of the films. Unfortunately, Kershner never directed another SW film and Brackett died by the time her script was approx. 90% complete. Lawrence Kasdan was called in to finish it up and went on to script Jedi, which explains it's weak script.

All Empire's weak lines I'll attribute to Kasdan. :p:lol:

Heh... I'm the opposite. I'm a Kasdan fan (though no one can be fan enough to excuse Dreamcatcher), but I always figured the writer of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Mumford (a personal fave), and Silverado was responsible for the good lines... but you never know. All I know is that Leigh Brackett was mainly a TV writer (Rockford Files!) and Rio Bravo.

Jedi's problem to me was never weak lines, but rather awful "story"... that we can surely blame Lucas for. I know neither Brackett nor Kasdan came up with the Ewoks. :p

Still, you can definitely agree on Irwin Kershner being the badass that brought it all home.

ESB just plain rules.

I just read about Leigh Brackett on the IMDB... seems she died of cancer after her first draft of ESB... that's sad.

I'm surprised to see so much love for RotJ... but I think the age you were when the movie came out is a big factor. For alot of younger folk, RotJ was their Star Wars movie. Just as ESB was "the flick" to those of us around 30, and SW to those old fogeys who were our big brothers. ;)

RotJ has good stuff (final confrontations, resolution, best effects of the OT) and bad stuff (Ewoks, let's blow up the death star again!)... but I didn't expect to see more fans of it than A New Hope.

I am amazed at how Episode I got more "favorite" votes than Clones, considering how Ep I was panned by everyone.

What was it about Clones that didn't work for you guys? Was it because Anakin was such a punk, or the cheesy "love story" lines? Or the "Yo-da man!" TV spots?

:lol:

Lessee....Artificially fake special effects, balsa wood acting, boringly shot, need I go on?

Samuel and Ewan were the only saving graces of the picture.

I like RotJ the best for the culmination of the trilogy. The confrontation with the much rumored Emperor, the best space battle on screen to that time, and the Jedi duel. ANH looks horribly dated and is cornier than the rest. It's climatic scene, the dogfight over the Death Star looks bad (at least before the Special Edition improves it). Without the nostalgia it easily falls behind some other sci fi if it wasn't setting up the stage for 5 other movies.

Of course, bigger space battles have been seen since (B5, if not others, put more ships on screen IIRC) but its arguable whether they're better.

I like Jedi, I like space battles. The rest... eh. FTR, Ep 3 is supposed to start with the "biggest space battle ever seen in a SW movie." And it should see plenty of lightsaber, so it sounds promising to knock RotJ off the top for me personally.