Which is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Jolly Rogers

Which is your favorite Star Wars movie?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Star Wars movie?

• Episode I: The Phantom Menance
    • Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    • Episode IV: A New Hope
    • Episode V: Empire Strikes Back
    • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

I liked ROTJ than most. I would put ANH second and ESB third but they are interchangeable. Now for the Ep1 and Ep2... something less to be desired. Ep1 wasnt bad but then it got old in Ep2. Ok, the courting scenes were boooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrringg. Well, with one scene with Natalie in that backless/strapless dress... I was like whoa. This scene was where I thought I needed a cold shower. Other than that... blah...

The thing that got me the most about ROTJ wasn't the Ewoks, it was the bad acting. Mark Hamill was practically an entire forest he was so wooden, and Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford had nothing to work with in the way of dialog. Their characters had no character. Are these really the same people from ANH and Empire? As with AOTC, the end of the movie redeems the rest of it.

I am amazed at how Episode I got more "favorite" votes than Clones, considering how Ep I was panned by everyone.

What was it about Clones that didn't work for you guys? Was it because Anakin was such a punk, or the cheesy "love story" lines? Or the "Yo-da man!" TV spots?

:lol:

I actually liked Clones quite a bit. I thought it was a very worthy return to the conventions that made the other Star Wars films a lot of fun. Plenty of adventure, cheesy humor, great space fights, and even a few surprises. It really worked for me. Not sure why it gets such bad press (putting aside the fact that this is Star Wars, a technically brilliant film series with weak dialogue and acting).

The thing that got me the most about ROTJ wasn't the Ewoks, it was the bad acting. Mark Hamill was practically an entire forest he was so wooden, and Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford had nothing to work with in the way of dialog. Their characters had no character. Are these really the same people from ANH and Empire? As with AOTC, the end of the movie redeems the rest of it.

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion the SFX held the movie together better then the story and the acting. <_<

Spielberg has stated that he begged Lucas to let him direct Episode II or III, and Lucas turned him down.

Seriously?! Lucas is a major fool. He should have said yes.

Yeah, he's crying all the way to the bank.

No doubt Lucas still made a ton of money but I can only imagine how much better the movies could have been if he let Spielberg direct them.

Yeah, but then he couldn't appease his own need to "realize his vision fully", and to feel like it was all his. Screw making a *good* movie.

I think I'm one of those who's really undecided between TMP and AOTC. I really didn't like much of AOTC, even though it had more "stuff", more action and more evil. All of the good things were somewhat cornily done. The overlong Titanic-esque romance scenes, the whining pre-Lord of the Sith, the over saturated colorful CG... by the time the light saber fight came around, I didn't care that much. My anticpation to see Yoda in action waned by then... plus he looked kinda dumb anyway. And I've got a love/hate relationship with Boba Fett being a clone and all the clone troopers being a nerfed version of Boba. Auugh.

I didn't hate TMP walking out of the theater, but in hindsight, it was pretty dumb... mostly because of Jar Jar and the damn kid. But there were at least moments in the movie, and the beginning actually felt pretty Star Wars-ish. The saber fight with Darth Maul was fantastic, even if two great actors were just sleep walking through their lines, mainly because of bad direction and bad scripting...

-Al

Edited by Sundown

For me, Phantom Menance became a better movie for me once I saw II. I don't know why, but I like it more than I originally did (and I saw it in the theater 6 times). I think it could do with a little less kiddie scenes (Jar Jar stepping in crap, animals farting, etc), and a little editing. Its not far away from being a very good Star wars movie. Its just a little long winded in places. A good editor could make a better movie out of it, the material is there.

For me, Phantom Menance became a better movie for me once I saw II. I don't know why, but I like it more than I originally did (and I saw it in the theater 6 times). I think it could do with a little less kiddie scenes (Jar Jar stepping in crap, animals farting, etc), and a little editing. Its not far away from being a very good Star wars movie. Its just a little long winded in places. A good editor could make a better movie out of it, the material is there.

I have to agree.

After I watched Attack of the Clones in the theatre 2 times I went home and popped in Episode 1.

Much better.

You can see where he was heading.

Its still no Empire by far and long but its not a bad movie.

My ranking currently is

1.)ESB

2.)ANH

3.)ATOC

4.)ROTJ

5.)TPM

True, AotC did make TPM seem better. I've noticed a lot of people seem to feel that way.

Want to know what could make TPM even better? The moment you see Nubian ship get past the Trade Federation cruiser..... skip to the moment it arrives in Cruscant and pretend the boy was there all along.... skipping the whole Tatooine part of the movie makes it seem so much better.

Well that as well. It just kills the pacing of the movie. I still feel that things would have been better to have introduce Anakin as a teen instead of this kid. Would make his piloting a naboo fighter more believe able instead of the crap we go in TPM. Our image of Vader wouldn't have been killed the way it was. Plus it would parallel Luke in the OT more. *sigh* To late now.

Well that as well. It just kills the pacing of the movie. I still feel that things would have been better to have introduce Anakin as a teen instead of this kid. Would make his piloting a naboo fighter more believe able instead of the crap we go in TPM. Our image of Vader wouldn't have been killed the way it was. Plus it would parallel Luke in the OT more. *sigh* To late now.

Yeah... and seeing Greedo as a kid and somewhat related to Darth Vader is mildly disturbing. <_<

My thoughts exactly. You could use it to show how easy it would have been for Luke to go to the dark side... Really show why Luke being "too old" in the original trilogy was such a big deal.

Yeah... and seeing Greedo as a kid and somewhat related to Darth Vader is mildly disturbing. <_<

I don't know if you're kidding or referring to something I missed (I only saw TPM once and never saw AotC) but this gets to another thing I really hate about the series as it's progressed. The Universe seems to be getting awfully small and incestuous. So, Anakin created C3P0? Bobba Fett is a major (or even significant) character in AotC? Come on, he's a throwaway figure in the OT, no need to explain his "origin".

You know I never understood why Boba Fett was so popular. He did nothing in the OT other then take Han to Jabba. He only fires off one shot in Return of the Jedi and ties Luke up for about a few seconds. His armor was really messed up to begin with. I just dont' see what made him so popular, he had almost no lines as well.

You know I never understood why Boba Fett was so popular. He did nothing in the OT other then take Han to Jabba. He only fires off one shot in Return of the Jedi and ties Luke up for about a few seconds. His armor was really messed up to begin with. I just dont' see what made him so popular, he had almost no lines as well.

I think it's mostly because he looks cool. He became really popular 5-10 years ago when they started making comics and novels based around him fleshing out his background. I choked when I saw Lucas was gonna put him in Ep II because it was an obvious fan handout. He was nothing in the original, brining him (well, his father) to the level of importance they did in Ep II was ridiculous and felt really forced.

It baffles me that people have such a hard time with Anakin as a teenager. Just how exactly should he have been portrayed? Should they have had 10 year old Ani strutting around in a tiny cape, force choking people and saying stuff like "Don't fail me again, Watto." Should he have threatened the Jedi council by saying "If you will not train me, then you will meet your destiny." Sheesh, this just proves that people aren't interested in any actual story, they just want to see black-suited Vader jumping around in bullet time, killing Jedi with a snappy catchphrases. Come on people, even Hitler was a teenager once. By AOTC, Anakin is not supposed to be a nice guy. Sure he's whiny, but he's also arrogant, headstrong and...oh yeah, a mass murderer. That doesn't sound like somebody who'll grow up to be the Emperor's right-hand man?

The PT is slow, or poorly paced? Some of you really need to go back and watch the OT again with a more critical eye, particularly ANH and ESB. Both of those moves have loooooong middle sequences. And the acting? Suddenly Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammil are considered master thespians? Puh-leeze. Ironically, Hammil actually gives the best performance in ROTJ. Ford didn't even want to be there, and Fisher was high on God-knows-what for half the shoot.

Boba Fett plays about as much of an important role that he does in the "holy" OT. Which is to say, not very important at all. In fact, I vastly prefer his origin as presented in AOTC over the crap that EU has doled out for him.

Anakin's Rodian buddy was not Greedo. His name was "Wald." Greedo only showed up in the deleted scene where Anakin punches him out after the pod-race.

10 year old Ani strutting around in a tiny cape, force choking people and saying stuff like "Don't fail me again, Watto." Should he have threatened the Jedi council by saying "If you will not train me, then you will meet your destiny."

i would pay mad money to see that movie.