Kurisama's Custom 1/60 Upgrades & Add-ons

Kurisama

Potentials for my next set of Custom Parts;  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Potentials for my next set of 1/60 Custom Parts;

• 1/60 APS-11 Armour for the VF-11
    • 1/60 '21 & '22 New Feet, Ankle and Shin parts to be Anime Accurate + other minor parts
    • 1/60 Queadluun Nona conversion pieces including new back-pack and new head sculpt
    • 1/60 Ghost X-9
    • 1/60 Anime-accurate GU-15 Gunpod for Arcadia YF-19
    • 1/60 Frontier FAST Packs for the Arcadia YF-19
    • Other? Please comment below!

Quick question about the VF-171 lower triangle piece.. I'm not near mine right now, or I'd check.

What exactly is the swiveling piece attached to? Is it linked to the flimsy looking little tab that lies alongside the thigh? If so, I'd just make a replacement for that entire piece. I think it attaches by a screw near the thigh, so it might be simple to swap a new removable piece in there.

Edit: Just had a thought about how to replace it with a working movable piece.. just do what Yamato did on the VF-17, and have the entire flap fold downwards instead of the whole origami folding thing.

Quick concept art done with paint:

post-907-0-08057000-1380643001_thumb.jpg

Just replace that piece that screws on with a block half the length of the piece, with a hinge pin on the rear half, and replace the actual triangle flap with a solid piece that can rotate downward on the pin. Since the entire area is hollow to begin with so the flap can fold up in the space, you should have plenty of room for a hinge similar in size to the ones on your VF-0D kit., which should be more than enough to hold a piece that size.

You'll probably have to reduce the size of the triangle a bit so it doesn't overlap the shoulder so much though, or you won't have room to rotate the piece. Though, you might be able to get away with just removing a chunk of the back corner to give it room.

I can't quite picture how that'd work once transformed to battroid, or if it would interfere with transformation at all, but I think it would just wind up hanging under the sides of the chest once transformed. Not sure if it would collide with the wings or back though.

Edited by Chronocidal

Still umming and aaring about the VF-171 parts... But inspired by forum member - MaidenJapan's work, I dusted off an old file and have finished this today;

attachicon.gifYF-19_Arm_Cannon_01.jpg

Wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the Workshop! forum, but since I haven't got it in hand, thought I'd place it here. Going to upload it tonight and make it available at a discount for a limited amount of time, so peeps can get it and have a play around - I simply can't afford to pay $20 shipping plus I'm terribly poor at the moment...

Let me know if ya'll want a left-arm version too - or both left and right in the same order.

OH YES - I should mention this is designed to fit the NEW 1/60 VF-19 series, so the S, F, P and Kai - and assuming the new YF-19 from Arcadia uses the same mould for the forearm, this should fit that too.

Still a few details to tweak before the upload. Stay tuned.

That looks awesome! Great job on that.

What material would you recommend getting it in so that the details are preserved? I once tried getting something in strong white & flexible polished, but it was so jagged and coarse that the details came out poorly and I couldn't really paint or panel line it. The material just caused the lines to look all jagged and not right. Do any of the other material options have a finer print that avoids this?

Quick question about the VF-171 lower triangle piece.. I'm not near mine right now, or I'd check.

What exactly is the swiveling piece attached to? Is it linked to the flimsy looking little tab that lies alongside the thigh? If so, I'd just make a replacement for that entire piece. I think it attaches by a screw near the thigh, so it might be simple to swap a new removable piece in there.

Edit: Just had a thought about how to replace it with a working movable piece.. just do what Yamato did on the VF-17, and have the entire flap fold downwards instead of the whole origami folding thing.

Quick concept art done with paint:

attachicon.gifreplacementhinge.JPG

Just replace that piece that screws on with a block half the length of the piece, with a hinge pin on the rear half, and replace the actual triangle flap with a solid piece that can rotate downward on the pin. Since the entire area is hollow to begin with so the flap can fold up in the space, you should have plenty of room for a hinge similar in size to the ones on your VF-0D kit., which should be more than enough to hold a piece that size.

You'll probably have to reduce the size of the triangle a bit so it doesn't overlap the shoulder so much though, or you won't have room to rotate the piece. Though, you might be able to get away with just removing a chunk of the back corner to give it room.

I can't quite picture how that'd work once transformed to battroid, or if it would interfere with transformation at all, but I think it would just wind up hanging under the sides of the chest once transformed. Not sure if it would collide with the wings or back though.

Not sure if I'm thinking it the same way you're trying to explain it, but I think if it was a single piece, the triangle would get in the way when you swing out the shoulder pauldron. When I swing it out on mine, I have to fold the black triangle in on itself to get it out of the way. It's even harder doing the reverse.

Well, my thinking is this... The piece I'm thinking of rotating would equate to the black triangle, plus the rear half of the skinny tab. The tab doesn't move to begin with, so as long as the rotating piece was designed not to hang over past where that tab should be horizontally, the shoulder should have enough room to rotate without interfering.

The trick is just getting it to lay flush with the shoulder once rotated back into position for fighter mode. The tabs would just hang vertically below where that long skinny piece is in gerwalk and battroid.

I might try and do a rough model of the design later to see if I can illustrate it, unless Kurisama beats me to it. :)

Edited by Chronocidal

They're up;

Left and Right sides; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386725/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-l-r.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

Left side; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386765/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-left.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

Right side; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386714/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-right.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

MacrossJunkie - Normally I'd go with WSF+Polish, due to robustness and price (but sometimes lack of detail) - but I think Frosted Detail would work best with this for the fine details plus it doesn't need to be tough as it should slide onto the arm no problem - it isn't load bearing or supporting anything.. Only thing is, is that it is quite pricey with this model - still looking at shaving a bit off here and there - but I can't seem to find any parts to fix up.

Wow... you weren't kidding about the pricey part...

Wish the technology was more mature so that the price of 3D printing would go down.

Hmmm, yeah. I'm not really sure what you could shave off there. Would it even make much difference in price if you did manage to shave off a little bit here or there?

I see you made the covers hollow and everything already. Perhaps the base could be made thinner? Probably not if there is a minimum thickness for printing and structural tolerances.

The base 'jacket' that covers the arm is 2mm thick, strength enough for FD and WSF... but realistically, I could only every shave $2-4 off maybe if I went and re-did all the hollowed out parts to their absolute limits - but then I run the risk of print rejection... Eh, I'll sleep on it and look at it tomorrow, or just start on the 171 pieces.

I'll order at least a L&R set myself at some point tho, to pimp out my 19P :D

A thought I had, since it's made to fit the VF-19. In order to match with the rest of the Valk it's not going to be enough to paint it but make it shiny as well.

It's cheaper to just buy a left and right at the same time.

Edited by Mommar

• 6 months later...

My order got here today;

post-1623-0-60515800-1397636870_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-60549300-1397636873_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-85650300-1397636877_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-59112600-1397636881_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-39160200-1397636884_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-41136600-1397636888_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-19928900-1397636892_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-25303200-1397636895_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-20280600-1397636899_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-87391400-1397636901_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-33509300-1397636930_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-67349700-1397636933_thumb.jpg

Small snip of plastic (1mm) off one of the gun part slots (micro missile component) and it all fit perfectly! Can't wait to paint it up :D

Available here;

Right arm; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386714/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-right.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

Left arm; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386765/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-left.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

Both arms; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386725/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-l-r.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

My order got here today;

attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_closed_inside_arm.JPG attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_closed_outer_arm.JPG

attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_open_bottom.JPG attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_open_profile.JPG attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_open_under.JPG

attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_openclose_front.jpg attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_openclose_side.jpg

attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_pose1.JPG attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_pose2.JPG attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_pose3.JPG

attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_pose4.JPG attachicon.gifYF-19_AC_pose5.JPG

Small snip of plastic (1mm) off one of the gun part slots (micro missile component) and it all fit perfectly! Can't wait to paint it up :D

Available here;

Right arm; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386714/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-right.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

Left arm; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386765/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-left.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

Both arms; https://www.shapeways.com/model/1386725/1-60-19-style-arm-cannon-l-r.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

These have been on my work bench for months. I didnt know shapeways prints were so grainy. I got tired of sanding, mainly because I really hate sanding. One day...good to know they fit yf-19 though.