Well... after what seems like years of listening to you guys talk about how crappy Hasbro toys are (even the MPs), and how great third-party is, I bit the bullet and ordered my first 3P toys from Captured Prey. I decided to get Mania King and the Hegemon reissue, to address what I feel are the biggest deficiencies in my Classics display. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think, but I guess it'll be awhile, since Hegemon's a preorder that isn't supposed to ship until sometime next month.

Welcome to the 3P support group. It gets worse from here. Let me introduce you to 4P:

1606893_505159609583547_212143401060590010350359_505159612916880_216031593764865

Also for Hegemon:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/964610-firefair-ff-02-tw-01-hegemon-add-kit-17.html#post11031758

Well... after what seems like years of listening to you guys talk about how crappy Hasbro toys are (even the MPs), and how great third-party is, I bit the bullet and ordered my first 3P toys from Captured Prey. I decided to get Mania King and the Hegemon reissue, to address what I feel are the biggest deficiencies in my Classics display. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think, but I guess it'll be awhile, since Hegemon's a preorder that isn't supposed to ship until sometime next month.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Hasbro stuff is crappy, but I think Mania King will surprise you. Despite the non-articulated wrists, Mania King makes a great Galvatron. It looks real nice with Classics Cyclonus and Scourge to boot.

I keep seeing 3P that impresses me... but just not quite enough to pull the trigger. Not enough that I can't wait on an official MP.

Tempted on six shot. Tempted on the dino's.

I think the Metroplex 3p will be my first. I doubt they'll make a masterpiece of him any time soon haha

Hexatron I think is just impressive in robot mode, but damn, transforming him? that's a pain in the ass like you wouldn't believe. Even with instructions I had a hard time, and some of his weapons didn't fit properly....I still need to try and fix those peg holes when I get time.

Now, 4P stuff to improve 3P stuff is just hilarious to me but it's not all bad. I'm giving some of them a c hance like DYM's Superion upgrade to Fansproject's upgrades, and then the Boosticus G2 set for my FOC G2 edition. Those arrive on monday and I'm looking forward to that. Oh, and I also saw a 5P set for Superion. Someone on TFW2005 is doing shapeway pieces to give Superion more G1 of a look if you got the Fansproject and DYM's parts.

That's another thing, Shapeways has been giving 3D Modelers the chance of just pumping out all the stuff they want to perfect their collections. I've bought some stuff and they're really good ideas but the materials that Shapeway uses are not great imo for Transformer products without tons of careful sanding.

couple of 4th party items showed up with my YOTS Omega Supreme. I picked up the Xtransbots G2 Boosticus kit and DMY's Fall of Superion DM-02.

I LOVE the way my FOC Fruity Bruticus looks now, far more game accurate. DMY though...wtf? They give you like a dozen screws, head pieces, whacked out arm pistons and boot extensions. But what could they NOT provide? FREAKING INSTRUCTIONS!

It would seem that the peg hole for the left hand though is a little to wide....need a good filler idea to get the Fansproject fist to be more snug. Ideas?

Hasbro's stuff isn't CRAP, it just exists at an ENTIRELY different place in the market. If all these high-end collectible toys were showing up at twenty-dollar price points, THEN Hasbro stuff would be crap. But as-is, they're CHEAP, not crappy.

Hasbro's stuff isn't CRAP, it just exists at an ENTIRELY different place in the market. If all these high-end collectible toys were showing up at twenty-dollar price points, THEN Hasbro stuff would be crap. But as-is, they're CHEAP, not crappy.

I agree. Especially since I believe that Hasbro has nothing to do with the collector oriented toy lines Takara is doing except distributing them in the states (with a new color scheme). I'm no Transformers nut so this might not be accurate.

However some of the designs are pretty cool (I really like the AoE Dino Knights designs, especially the colors) if they are not driven by such stupid design goals like kids should actually enjoy playing with our products. ;)

I really enjoyed some of the Human Alliance toys as well. I also play with my retail Transformers much more than I do with my Collector oriented stuff (Transformers + Valkyries) because I don't need to fear breakage handling them.

I'm talking about the fact that as time has gone on, the quality of thier product is going down.

I'm not comparing them to Takara, because that's a different market.

I'm talking not just Transformers, but also StarWars and G.I.Joe. I've been buying this crap for two decades

And it's not gotten to the point that everything I get has an issue, wether it's fitment, loose limbs, or shatastic

Paint jobs. It's new, because my Classics 1.0, and Universe 2.0 figures don't have these problems. It's been since

The last 3-4 years that everything has started to be a joke. I would have been pissed as a kid if the one figure I was allowed

To get was a floppy mess.

Which is why I stopped buying Hasbro. I've got KO's that are less problematic then Hasbro releases, and that's just pathetic.

Those are valid points skullmilitia.

I have to say I don't have that much experience with their releases as a whole because it would be unfeasible for me to buy that many products from Hasbro because only an tiny fraction is available to me from retail. However I really like some of the toys I got from the last waves namely from their prime line. I admit they are mostly Japanese releases because Hasbro is unwilling to produce the variants I collect.

However I can see the point you are making. :)

Not sure if anyone is following that Skyfire toy Kronos, but it has come to light from a couple people who reviewed a test shot of the toy that the entire back portion that holds the wings needs to be removed for transformation. Apparently you just pull it off and snap it back on later. I haven't decided yet how much of a problem I have with that. Ideally I prefer perfect transformation, and I feel like Skyfire's design is simple enough to avoid something like breaking it in half for transformation.

Additionally, the creator of the toy has been very open and communicative about his project but although he was asked many, many times about how the transformation works it was never mentioned. He did say once that the backpack could be removed as a feature, but that's hardly the same thing.

Anyway, I'll most likely still get it and decide how I feel about it once I have it in hand. I'm thinking as long as the overall quality feels great, the joints are good and the transformation is enjoyable I'll be happy enough.

So along with the backpack/wings having to come off for transformation, you also have to remove the intake vents and store them inside the backpack.

post-430-0-95625400-1402422043_thumb.jpg

post-430-0-33795400-1402422054_thumb.jpg

Also, I'm not sure what's going on in the second set of pics but it looks like there is a seperate panel that covers the back, but isn't part of the backpack? I'm trying to remain optimistic, but as CoreyD said it's very bothersome for a $170 toy.

post-430-0-29200000-1402422061_thumb.jpg

post-430-0-20712600-1402422068_thumb.jpg

And then there is this guy.

post-430-0-74268700-1402422137_thumb.jpg

post-430-0-04798800-1402422145_thumb.jpg

So along with the backpack/wings having to come off for transformation, you also have to remove the intake vents and store them inside the backpack.

attachicon.gifkronos01.jpg

attachicon.gifkronos02.jpg

Also, I'm not sure what's going on in the second set of pics but it looks like there is a seperate panel that covers the back, but isn't part of the backpack? I'm trying to remain optimistic, but as CoreyD said it's very bothersome for a $170 toy.

attachicon.gifkronos03.jpg

attachicon.gifkronos04.jpg

And then there is this guy.

attachicon.gifSkyguardian_01.jpg

attachicon.gifSkyguardian_03.jpg

Ouch...that pained facial expression. It looks like one of those awkward family photos, if that's even possible for a robot.

Shockwave has a pretty classic robot mode, and kids always love guns.

He also had a gun for a hand, one eye, and was purple.

That crap is gold in the 80's.

Gold Jerry.

QFE,I would love a mp shockwave. Jetfire/skyfire Meh, not so much. Quakewave will do for now Edited by Smut Peddler

I would have been pissed as a kid if the one figure I was allowed

To get was a floppy mess.

As an adult I'm not happy that the $300+ YF-19 I have can't stand up without me worrying it's going to fall and break. And considering some of the problems people have I consider myself lucky that that is all that is wrong with it. Or how about the VF-171 CF?

I take your point about TFs and the last few years. Look at armada/energon/cybertron toys. Solid as bricks because they are, well, bricks :) But they were great as far as playability goes. Kids loved them. But as time goes on and profits become more and more important, cuts happen and AOE first edition leader Prime is what you are left with. In fact I was looking at by FoC G2 Bruticus the other day and thought: "Why the hell do I still have that?" Because it's garbage. I thought about picking up one of the 3rd party add ons for it but what's the point? It still looks like crap. Design is being sacrificed for greater profits :(

That thread is just mind-bending. I had no idea so many men were so dedicated to gossip and drama.

Having ZERO interest in Skyfires of any sort, I've been avoiding those threads. But now it seems like I'll have to go have a peek...