What wm_cheng has been up to lately...

Hey all,

Been asked a few times about my recent lack of modelling lately - I still do love models very much. However, now due to family (my daughter) and work - I haven't had much time for it. I'm mostly into just detail/paint-up of the toys for the time being.

I've been able to satisfy my modelling bug lately on a few SciFi movies (Resident Evil, The Thing, Total Recall & Pacific Rim) by designing 1:1 scale sets! (then the carpentry and scenic crews build it for me!;-) - but that takes up all my time now. Look for Macross design cues in the sets of those films! In fact, they just interviewed me last fall on my latest set on Total Recall where they asked for my inspirations and I mentioned Shoji Kawamori and Macross. If you want to see me, I think its called "Hollywood Builders: constructing Total Recall" - 1 hr special probably sometime next year on DIY Network and Discovery Channel (my guess is close to when Total Recall comes out to theatre). It will probably be on the Total Recall DVD/BR special features.

I can't show any Total Recall or Pacific Rim stuff due to non-disclosure agreements, but I can show a quick shot of the Resident Evil VTOL aircraft I designed (and built the interior set & cockpit) - which has been made public now. Notice the missile pod launchers ;-) The interior is full of Macross details too.

I'm kinda proud of this one (not everyday I get to design an attack VTOL aircraft)...

post-244-0-29406900-1331241450_thumb.png

but I can show a quick shot of the Resident Evil VTOL aircraft I designed (and built the interior set & cockpit) - which has been made public now. Notice the missile pod launchers ;-) The interior is full of Macross details too.

I'm kinda proud of this one (not everyday I get to design an attack VTOL aircraft)...

That thing's worth sitting through another mediocre Resident Evil film for. It'd be kind of awesome to have a toy.

Thanks! Yep, my dream would be to design something that is made into a toy or model.

Actually that image is a CGI model based on my designs. I only design, I don't build miniatures. I would love it if they paid me to model build, but they don't!

Pacific Rim concepts please.

I'm being a little cheeky I know! Love your work as always. That attack copter was really quite cool. I love the Resident Evil series for what they are, a little bit of mindless fun!

Edited by PetarB

Anything that pays the bills to buy more toys is a good movie to me!

Unfortunately the PR robot exteriors were mostly conceptualized before I got to the scene. They're done by the same team that brought you Transformers and ILM is rendering them up, so they're an American's take on robots (it's like bashing my head against a wall trying to explain what Japanimation is to these guys!). Needless to say I'm not overly thrilled about their exterior designs. However, I am most proud of the interiors (which I designed) and they constitute the best work I've done to date!

Great news. Bummed about the exteriors. The one weakness of the Transformers design was that they made the exteriors too busy. When translated into movement, it actually produced a real mess onscreen - there were no visual tells for the viewer to understand which limb belonged to whom. I hope we won't see the same in the Pacific Rim designs, but I'll take what I can get. I understand why they were done from a concept design though, adding mindless 'detail' is a quick way to add scale and sophistication to a design when you're under deadline pressure.

Wow William that's wonderful! Love your attack VTOL, didn't know you designed it...very cool!!

Dang, would love a model of that bird

Also, is it just me, or is there a bit of Serenity in the cockpit design/shape?

Yup, I can see it too. Also like the DYRL style micro missile pods. :D

Chris

Yes, definitely Serenity (one of the most underrated sci-fi films of all time!)

That's what I hated about Transformers too - "its the more is better mentality - when we can't really be bothered to actually think it through, lets just throw everything at it and see what sticks, maybe the confusion will make people believe it works..."

I always find it interesting to see how people design related to where they are geographically, I think its most representative in automobile design. Japanimation just looks like most Hondas, Lexus and other japanese automobiles, where as German design is so distinctive (now the Korean car companies resemble Audis since they stole the TT designer) and Transformers looks like GM designs.

The only thing better than a model is getting to walk into one of your designs and sit in the cockpit! ;-) I would kill to get on a Macross feature, but would probably get fired because I'd be so resistant to change that will envaribly happen.

The internet can be so inspiring sometimes. It's amazing to see you go from Macross fan to mechanical/effects modeler. I love the DYRL-style UUM-7 Micro-Missle Pods on your model. A true Macross fan moment :) Your journey reminds me of Dan Trachtenburg's journey through our film blogs and now he's making a movie. It's great to hear you're doing well and doing what you like.

Sigh. First our resident 1/72 modeler who inspires us, now I find out Master Cheng has somehow achieved the life I dreamed of as a post-biology undergrad.

:blink: Good on you, sir! Always wanted to be a production designer, geographic placement and talent aside...

I totally intended to catch The Thing while it was out - but it only lasted about a week or two here in bu-fu.

Thanks so much!

It isn't always cool stuff, there's a lot of New York Lofts, runned down tennaments and police stations. If I have to do another hotel room... I'll scream! Luckily I'm now known for sci-fi stuff which is what I love (and best at).

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I'm only doing the interiors of the robots - the physical sets where the actors are in. So there are Macross influences here and there - but mostly a Japanimation sensibility (dare I say Gundam or Armored Core;-p), rather than literal references. So don't expect too much from the robot exteriors, maybe boner is too much, maybe just some arousal (if Transformers is your cup of tea - same concept designers, same ILM, same LegacyFX...)

Too bad the original ending to "The Thing" was re-written and re-shot - there were so many Zentradi influences in the alienship interiors. Oh well, at least I got paid so I can buy more Macross stuff!

I guess now that "The Thing" (2012) has been released on video, here are some photos of my sets (which were hardly seen at all - argh!). It's such a shame, we all worked so hard on them and this really is a tribute to all the amazing carpentry and scenic artist in Toronto that were able to bring our vision to physical reality.

post-244-0-30398100-1332338714_thumb.jpg

The top hatch, we tried to match the original JC matte painting (it was waay off in the distance) and added our own details to bring it so we can see it close up, but I don't remember this making it into the film...

post-244-0-05456000-1332338715_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-62511800-1332338715_thumb.jpg

Sections of the interior alienship corridor and corridor intersections...

post-244-0-16955800-1332338716_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-69447500-1332338716_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-22507500-1332338717_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-75710100-1332338717_thumb.jpg

This was the interior alienship command bridge (which was re-written) - it's a shame since I thought it was very good work. So much great effort sometimes gets cut, its just the nature of the business. I think the Toronto crews can be proud.

BTW, is there any special features on the DVD/BR that has anything on the set design?

Wow! Amazing, thanks for posting those. It's always such a shame that these great set get torn down & trashed immediately. Even moreso when they get completely cut from the film.

Well, I presume you got paid, just the same! Fewer bragging points, though...

(null)