All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

the PS4 can use USB headsets right? I've tried these out, and while they're a little weighty, they sound and feel really good for their price. I also like that they have the controls on the ear piece and not in line.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EQ1FVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by anime52k8

I use the Corsair Vengeance 1500 7.1 headset on my PC. I used it to play Planetside 2 and they performed masterfully. I could hear the faintest sounds near me, which did a lot to help my survivability. They're durable and, best of all, comfortable. The cord is covered by a protective material (not sure if it's some kind of kevlar), but it kept my gf from completely destroying them when she accidentally ran over the cord with the vacuum. At $80, it's bit more expensive than anime52k8's suggestion, but it's worth the extra money.

The Scuf 4PS controller for the PS4 is available for pre-order. However, this initial version doesn't have trigger stops available or the planned button remapping feature.

I like it but I've been known to throw a controller from time to time so I'll just stick with the default cheap controllers.

NIce to see the Wii U finally turning it around...I'm definitely getting one now.

http://www.ibtimes.com/mario-kart-8-release-boosts-nintendos-wii-u-sales-more-titanfall-increased-xbox-one-sales-1617686

That bandwagon would be joined if there was a really good Metroid AND Zelda release.

Never got into Mario Kart, although I certainly get the appeal.

-b.

I like it but I've been known to throw a controller from time to time so I'll just stick with the default cheap controllers.

I spend too much time playing FPS not to get one (Though I am not FPS focused. I play them because my friends do, and I am not too shabby at them).

A new-run 360 pad.

I have two 360 pads, one from early in the system's life, one from late in the system's life. And the difference is night and day.

I'd recommend a HoriPad EX2, but they are long out of production it seems.

Anyone have suggestions on a good gaming headset (<$100) that works well on both PS4 and PC (audio and chat). Doesn't have to be 7.1 surround or anything, just has to work.

I have a Gamecom 780 that is 7.1. It's really comfortable, software is easy and the sound is really good. So good that when I play BF4 I can hear an enemy sneak up behind me so it gives me the chance to turn around and shoot them in the face B))

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA19P0KB6078&cm_re=gamecom_780-_-0TH-000R-00020-_-Product

Weirdest fricking thing just happened a couple weeks ago. Because the FMV audio in a few of my PS3 games had "crackling" noises when words contained the letters "s" and "t" were spoken, I tried switching to a digital optical cable after hearing that the PS3's HDMI audio had some issues with certain games, and that switching to digital optical or analog would fix it.

That fixed indeed the crackling thing, at the cost of having no separate left and right audio. Anyways, I switched back to HDMI audio to play a game without the crackling problem, but left the digital optical cable there so I can switch between the two more easily.

That's where the problem started. The PS3 booted for 5 seconds, beeped 3 times, and shut down with a flashing red light. I initially thought is was just an error caused by the digital optical cable still attached while the HDMI audio was selected. I removed the cable, but the problem persisted, and slowly got more and more frequent.

A bit of googling revealed that it was the dreaded YLOD. Strangely, my S3 showed none of the usual symptoms before hand, and I don't usually play for more than 2-3 hours at a time. Given that my 12-year old PS2 slim is still alive and kicking, 6 years is a pretty short lifespan for the PS3.

I brought the console to a repair shop, and after explaining the symptoms to the guy there, he simply told me it was due to overheating--jerk didn't even bother to open the machine and take a look. Just told me straight up that a repair would cost about 200 USD, and not even a day's warranty would be given. At this rate, I might as well get a brand new super slim PS3.

But before that, I just want to ask if there's a possibility that it could be due to a corrupt/dying HDD or something. I know the only way to tell is to replace the HDD with a new one, but I don't want to end up with an HDD I have no use for if the swap didn't fix anything.

TL;DR, my PS3 got the dreaded YLOD, but if seems more like an error in the HDD than the usual melted solder thing.

Edited by GU-11

Thanks for all the headphone suggestions guys! I actually jumped on the Logitech g430 that anime suggested, since I too noticed that they got a lot of recommendations (and work on PC/PS4). Within short notice, though, I got a great deal on some Steelseries Siberia v2 (heat orange) headphones. I use a lot of steel series stuff for my desktop, and reviews stated the excellent sound quality (and PS4 compatibility), so I jumped on those instead.

So I set aside the Metal Gear Solid HD collection for a bit after beating the original MSX Metal Gear(damn that game is hard) to play Sniper Elite III Afrika. Its a very fun stealth sniper game with realistic bullet effects. On my second mission I accomplished probly my most disturbing achievement next to Blitz: The League II's Testi-kill. Its called Charlie's Challenge: Score a testicle shot from over 100 meters away. keep in mind this is the game where when you score a sniper kill it goes into slo-mo X-ray cam mode showing every gruesome detail.

So I set aside the Metal Gear Solid HD collection for a bit after beating the original MSX Metal Gear(damn that game is hard) to play Sniper Elite III Afrika. Its a very fun stealth sniper game with realistic bullet effects. On my second mission I accomplished probly my most disturbing achievement next to Blitz: The League II's Testi-kill. Its called Charlie's Challenge: Score a testicle shot from over 100 meters away. keep in mind this is the game where when you score a sniper kill it goes into slo-mo X-ray cam mode showing every gruesome detail.

Ouch! Hahaha!

I'm still on the fence between ps4 and xbox one. All these new yf-29s are also not helping...

Out of curiosity, is anyone else reading Blake Harris' Console Wars? It's pretty great. It's kind of like Pirates of Silicon Valley, except it's about Nintendo of America and Sega of America in the '90s instead of Apple and Microsoft.

TL;DR, my PS3 got the dreaded YLOD, but if seems more like an error in the HDD than the usual melted solder thing.

Many problems cause the YLOD, its kinda the check engine light for the console. HDD failure can be one of them but the soldering issue is the most common. Best I can suggest is find a repair guy you can trust and have him run a diagnostic on it. Also remember that if you take the old HDD out of your current ps3 and put it in a new one it will reformat it. Here's a list of some of the issues the YLOD could be https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/37034/Is+there+only+one+cause+of+the+ylod

now I'm downloading Ace Combat Infinity, free on PS3. See if its any good..

Spoiler: It's not. There was a thread for it, I think. You can read my thoughts on it there, but suffice to say that I never played it a second time.

Many problems cause the YLOD, its kinda the check engine light for the console. HDD failure can be one of them but the soldering issue is the most common. Best I can suggest is find a repair guy you can trust and have him run a diagnostic on it. Also remember that if you take the old HDD out of your current ps3 and put it in a new one it will reformat it. Here's a list of some of the issues the YLOD could be https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/37034/Is+there+only+one+cause+of+the+ylod

Thanks for the link, Dizman!

I tried several game shops, and all the repairmen there same the same old thing, probably because the solder problem is by far the most common. Even after I told them about what happened, they insisted it was the solder melting and disconnecting from the motherboard, and refused to check anything.

After reading the article you linked, my only hope now is that it's a dead HDD. If it has anything to do with the power supply or the solder problem, I'm sunk because don't know the first thing about "reballing" a PS3. I do have an unused HDD from an old laptop that I could replace it with, though.

I dunno; maybe I should just pony up the cash for a super slim. I wouldn't feel so sore about it if I didn't also plan on buying a PS4 this Christmas. That old PS3 was supposed to last me another 3-4 years.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention; in the later stages when the YLOD became really frequent, even if I got it to boot and load the game, the PS3 would sometimes shutdown when the game was loading. My entire Hitman - Absolution game save file was corrupted because of it. <_<

Edited by GU-11

Spoiler: It's not. There was a thread for it, I think. You can read my thoughts on it there, but suffice to say that I never played it a second time.

Yeha I had a read, I agree with you on the fuel for sorties. Thats abit rough and to wait like 4 hrs for fuel or having to play multiplayer for 'loot' drops. Bit strange for a Ace Combat game. I dont mind the multiplayer for fun but I dont like it when Multiplayer is the only way to advance in the game.

I suppose I cant complain too much,it was free after all. Played enough to get the F-16 and a few rounds then offski.

I dunno; maybe I should just pony up the cash for a super slim. I wouldn't feel so sore about it if I didn't also plan on buying a PS4 this Christmas. That old PS3 was supposed to last me another 3-4 years.

Maybe you could just keep saving and get the ps4, the super slim will likely drop in price over the next year or two so you can get a replacement then. Also the PS4 is getting that fancy ps now streaming thing soon so you can play ps3 games on it.

Maybe you could just keep saving and get the ps4, the super slim will likely drop in price over the next year or two so you can get a replacement then. Also the PS4 is getting that fancy ps now streaming thing soon so you can play ps3 games on it.

I suddenly feel like kicking myself. I actually placed an order for a super slim last night, that's part of an incoming shipment at my usual game shop, Can't back out now that I've placed a deposit.

That PS NOW thing would have been perfect to tide me over until a price drop on the PS3 happens.

The good news is that after a bit of number crunching, I can still afford a PS4 this Christmas, but I'll have to stay away from any more pre-orders above 200 USD for the rest of 2014. Going on a ramen diet won't hurt, either.

The other good news is that I just found out (only after pre-ordering the super slim :rolleyes: ) you can tell if it's the HDD that's causing the YLOD by removing it and turning on the PS3. If it turns on okay, that means its the HDD. I'll try it out after work tonight, and if it turns out to be the HDD after all, I'll maybe sell my old console to a friend or something.

Okay, I just removed my PS3's HDD and turned it on. Well, it still shut down in typical YLOD fashion, but the biggest difference is that it took much longer this time, about a full minute--probably did so because it couldn't detect a HDD. With the HDD installed, it shutdown almost immediately, 10 seconds at most.

So, to all PS3 hardware experts out there,does this mean the HDD is the culprit?

I also got it to boot up after several repeated tries; should I try doing a system restore?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Okay, I just removed my PS3's HDD and turned it on. Well, it still shut down in typical YLOD fashion, but the biggest difference is that it took much longer this time, about a full minute--probably did so because it couldn't detect a HDD. With the HDD installed, it shutdown almost immediately, 10 seconds at most.

So, to all PS3 hardware experts out there,does this mean the HDD is the culprit?

I also got it to boot up after several repeated tries; should I try doing a system restore?

no its not the hdd then... your system is done. there's no point in doing a system restore. that happened with my system. pretty soon you won't even be able to get that far.

if you want to access some of your old data from your old hdd from your old ps3, to transfer/ there's a temporary solution that will give it a few days/months to work before ylod shows up again.

i tried it and it works, which helped me deactivate my system and transfer my stuff to another system.

(too lazy to dig around and find the link, it was a long time ago: let me know if there's stuff on the hdd worth saving or you're just going to reformat it :) i'll try and find it, if you really need it.)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

no its not the hdd then... your system is done. there's no point in doing a system restore. that happened with my system. pretty soon you won't even be able to get that far.

if you want to access some of your old data from your old hdd from your old ps3, to transfer/ there's a temporary solution that will give it a few days/months to work before ylod shows up again.

i tried it and it works, which helped me deactivate my system and transfer my stuff to another system.

(too lazy to dig around and find the link, it was a long time ago: let me know if there's stuff on the hdd worth saving or you're just going to reformat it :) i'll try and find it, if you really need it.)

Thanks for the info, David!

Right after I got it to boot up, I took the opportunity to copy as many of my game saves as to possible to a flash drive, except Tomb Raider and RE 5 and 6. TR doesn't really reward you with new game + stuff, so no big loss there, but it took me a lot of effort to unlock all characters in RE 5's Mercenaries. And the infinity weapons I unlocked in RE6... :(

Fortunately, I didn't download any movies or DLC's.

Edited by GU-11

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks for the info, David!

I copied as many of my game saves as to possible to a flash drive, except Tomb Raider and RE 5 and 6. TR doesn't really reward you with new game + stuff, so no big loss there, but it took me a lot of effort to unlock all characters in RE 5's Mercenaries. And the infinity weapons I unlocked in RE6... :(

Fortunately, I didn't download any movies or DLC's.

no problem! so you need the solution for your re5-6 saves? (wasn't clear) ok hang on...

i just found this as it looks like it's very popular now:

this really works... and it will allow you to use your ps3 for a few days/months more... (trust me it'll go bad again) but this is to get stuff off your hdd if you're replacing the system.

take your hdd out (i didn't)

turn the ps3 upside down (i didn't)

put the hair dyer on hot high and blow it for 15 mins in the back vents going back and forth.

then use the cool setting on the dryer and cool it for 20 mins. viola!

vid below

Edited by davidwhangchoi

That PS NOW thing would have been perfect to tide me over until a price drop on the PS3 happens.

That PS Now thing is supposed to be horribly overpriced, with some rentals costing more than buying the game outright.

no problem! so you need the solution for your re5-6 saves? (wasn't clear) ok hang on...

this really works... and it will allow you to use your ps3 for a few days/months more... (trust me it'll go bad again) but this is to get stuff off your hdd if you're replacing the system.

put the hair dyer on hot high and blow it for 15 mins in the back vents going back and forth.

vid below

Sounds like it should work. Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow!

That PS Now thing is supposed to be horribly overpriced, with some rentals costing more than buying the game outright.

Well, I guess getting the super slim wasn't such a bad idea after all. I knew it wasn't free, but I expected it to be a flat rate monthly subscription kind of thing.

Well, I guess getting the super slim wasn't such a bad idea after all. I knew it wasn't free, but I expected it to be a flat rate monthly subscription kind of thing.

Definitely.

Well, technically PS Now is in beta, and the beta prices aren't supposed to be final. And Sony is talking about still wanting to do a subscription. For now, though, it's a rental thing, with prices starting at around $5 for 4 hours, and going up to weird things where a game that costs $15 to buy outright costs $15 to rent for 90 days.

Between you and me, I think you're making the right call, buying a new system. I managed to find a PS4 in January, and so far I'd guess that the amount of time I've spent playing it has been tripled by the amount of time I've played on my PS3 since then.

Ooh I didn't realize ps now was such a scam, getting the ps3 was the right call then.

So change of subject, anyone been playing shovel knight? I'm only half way through it and have been loving every minute of it.

turn the ps3 upside down (i didn't)

So basically it's the xbox 360 towel fix? good luck with that. :unsure:

Edited by anime52k8