All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Anyone play the Dead Space 3 demo yet?

I did. T'was not that great, if I am to be honest. It feels a lot like the guys making Dead Space thought that we needed another Call of Duty. I dunno, maybe that's just me, but it wasn't scary at all, and felt more like a point and squeeze shooter. Either that, or I'm used to necromorphs...

It would be nice if this game would get a remake,

Things like this make me wonder---he spent all that time and effort and research into designing and showing off the movable wing---and then gets it backwards? You put it UP for takeoff, not down...

• 2 weeks later...

There should be a demo available for download.

I know, and I've played it, and it was 'alright' I guess. Just wondering how the rest of the game plays, and if it is worth it. Dead space attracted me with it's scare tactics, and forced me to a crawl, taking check of everything before moving on. In the demo, I just kind of blazed my way through.

I'm about to start playing now, I'll let you know how it is. I will say this, I liked the first two dead space games because you could a run and gun and still find it scary as all hell.

:edit:

first observation, thank god you still have the option for classic aiming.

:edit: :edit:

second observation, the prolog alone was both scary as crap and action packed.

:edit: :edit: :edit:

third observation: JESUS H CHRIST NECROMORPHS ARE TOUGH! They're all armored and burst into frekkin tentacle monsters. :o serious ruckusing to be had.

also I keep trying to use halo controls, so I'm constantly crouching when I'm trying to melee.

Edited by anime52k8

well, just called it a night, finished 6 chapters, and I have to say... THIS GAME IS INSAIN...

There's definitely no lack of scares or tension in this installment and I feel like it's actually legitimately scarier than the previous games.Enemies feel much tougher than in previous games, the take more shots to dismember, have faster attack cycles and like to charge at you much more frequently than they used to. Also, the tension feels much more legitimate in this game because it's driven by the threat that the enemies actually pose a threat to you more than worrying about inventory management or cludgy controls. Visceral has really gone out of their way to make a game that's scary because scary crap happens to you and not because you're artificially handicapped with unrealistic movement or an inability to carry enough of the junk you need to survive.

also, at no point in the previous games did they lock you in a tiny room with 2 regenerators and at least 4 leapers and then make you wait an excruciatingly long time for a god damn tram car.

Edited by anime52k8

Will anyone be getting Rainbow Six Patriots when it comes out?

Also they announced the new Skylanders game today for those of you with kids.

Edited by Benson13

All this talk of of Deadspace 3 and being scary reminds me Colonial Marines is coming out soon. Truth be told the xenomorph scares the hell out of me more than anything else like the necromorphs. I think it plays on childhood fears from when I watched parts of the first two movies when I was very young when I was told not to. Pure nightmare stuff there. I'm not sure I'll be able to play it when its released, and if I do I'll be looking behind me every five seconds... which will probly be when the floor gratting will give way and I have a heart attack ;)

Ok, legitimate problem I have with dead space 3; I don't like the new resource system. it's mostly that I've hit a point where I've upgraded my weapons and character so much that I'm not going through health items faster than I'm picking them up, so I've got a stupid large stockpile of med packs in my safe but I can't just sell them and get something I need because all they give me is somatic gel, but I've already got 2,500 units of the stuff in my inventory with nothing to spend it on but more med packs.

also, I have no god damn clue what ration stamps are for but I've got close to 100 of them and I haven't used them on anything yet.

Also, although I like the whole customizable gun thing and love the universal ammo, I feel like I could still get more versatility out of 4 weapon slots with classic weapons (basically there should be 3 weapon slots, not 2).

Edited by anime52k8

Just started Person 4 Golden. I have never played a Persona game in the past, but a friend recommended it, saying it was the best game on Vita.

Fun so far, hope it only gets better!

Your friend isn't lying. The only reason I didn't pick it for Game of the Year 2012 was becasue it came out on the PS2 in 2008.

EDIT: Belatedly, I realized you could probably tell I'm a fan of the game by my avatar...

Edited by mikeszekely

Your friend isn't lying. The only reason I didn't pick it for Game of the Year 2012 was becasue it came out on the PS2 in 2008.

EDIT: Belatedly, I realized you could probably tell I'm a fan of the game by my avatar...

Haha, I JUST noticed that! Btw, would you happen to know if the Persona anime is on par with the quality of the game? Sorry if this is a little OT!

Haha, I JUST noticed that! Btw, would you happen to know if the Persona anime is on par with the quality of the game? Sorry if this is a little OT!

The anime isn't bad, but it's sort of like a Reader's Digest version of the game. I watched it with my wife, and I remember thinking after a few episodes, "Man, they're already at that part?" If my only Persona experience was the anime, I'd probably write it off as an entertaining but ultimately forgettable experience, but the game really stays with you. By the end, I was really invested in my life and friends, to the point that I changed my avatar on MW (after using different Mega Man Zero avatars for close to a decade), found Persona 4 wallpapers for my iPad (and Persona 3 for my PC's desktop and Nexus 7's lock screen). I intend to buy the Official Complete Works art books for Persona 3 and 4, too.

Which reminds me, if you end up liking Persona 4, Persona 3 Portable is available in the Vita's PlayStation Store. While 4 is probably the stronger game overall, there's a lot of stuff I liked about 3 better, and I think it's worth playing.

Changing gears, I was talking to my brother the other day, and he was made the comment that he thought that the Super Nintendo was the greatest game console ever. As someone born in 1980, I do have a LOT of nostalgia for the old NES and SNES days. But while they're are certainly several classic games in the SNES library, I wonder if my brother was looking at it through rose-colored glasses. I mean, the SNES also had a glut of mediocre mascot platformers like Bubsy and Aero the Acro-Bat, and too many crappy side-scrolling beat 'em ups, too.

That got me thinking that if I approached it objectively, I think the PlayStation 2 probably had the biggest library of games I really enjoyed (excluding PC, of course). In fact, it got me so thinking about PlayStation 2 that I dug a 20" CRT out of the attic, grabbed my PS2 and my enormous library of PS2 games out of the closet, and hooked everything up in my basement "man-cave." When I get off work tomorrow, I know what I'm doing!

PS ~ Is it too soon to think of the PS2 retro gaming? Man, I remember pre-ordering it at EB Games back when I was a sophomore in college, almost 11 months before it actually came out. I got lucky and got a tuition refund when it actually came out, so at launch I bought the system, a memory card, an extra controller, DoA2 Hardcore, Ridge Racer V, Tekken Tag Tournament, and my very first DVD ever... Gundam Wing Vol. 1.

Persona 4 was one of only four Persona games I've played (the other three being the two DDS - Avatar Tuner games and Nocturne), and it's my all-time favorite. Characterization is second to none, IMO, and gameplay is more than decent, with lots of other stuff to distract you besides the usual level grinding.

In fact, I'm actually still playing it between Hitman Absolution playthroughs.

Anyone into shmups? There's one coming out in few days in Japan called "Ginga Force" for the XBox 360. It looks freaking sweet and the best part, its region free for importers like me who love these types of games.

Edited by Flaming Guantlet

So has anyone been playing Ni No Kuni yet? If so, how is it? I've been reading alot of good things about it so far. I tried the demo and had some difficulty adjusting to the battle system. The World Map was nice and reminded me of JRPGs of old.

Fun! No random attacks on the World Map, all encounters are visible so you either chase them down or they chase you down. No damn linear story telling. Tons of side quests and missions to power yourself up before continuing the main story. Amazing music. Gorgeous Ghibli art work. Supposed to be trying to find 3 stones to complete my mage wand but having to much fun flying around on a dragon.

So I guess I'm the only one playing DS3? I'm at close to 20 hours logged and only about 2/3 of the way through. The game feels longer story wise than DS2 and there's a bunch of side missions that really pad it out in a good way. I finally figured out what Ration stamps are for. you use them to buy DLC recourse packs instead of spending Microsoft points.

Between that and the fact that Visceral is actively encouraging players to seek out and exploit infinite spawning loot glitches, the developers are are completely undercutting EA's attempt to force micro-transactions into the game and I like that. ^_^

anyways, I'm glad they have quick match co-op because I'm really interested in giving that a try, although I wouldn't mind playing with someone I've met before.

I picked up DS3 last week also, just beat it it today. I have a PS3 so I can't co-op with ya unfortunately. I still think DS1 is my favorite, just something about the atmosphere that sets it apart from the rest. The major thing I didn't like about DS3 was that Isaac is almost completely sane in it. Half the fun of 1 and 2 was just trying to understand what was real and not, in 3 hes just a boring hero. I guess that's where Carvers story comes in to add the needed insanity but I haven't played co-op yet so I don't know how well its done.

I don't really mind that he's not all that crazy anymore. In fact I was a little worried in the beginning that they where going to go the batshit insane rout which didn't really make sense to me given the events of DS2. That's something I like about the series overall is that it's shifted tone and focus over the course of the games in a way that made sense based on developments in the story.

Although I did like the way the handled it in DS2 where Isaac was completely crazy, and yet both fully aware of and totally OK with the fact that he was certifiably insane.

:edit:

And given the events of chapter 16, I'm still convinced that Isaac is pretty damn crazy.

Edited by anime52k8