All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

2018 will MD's 30th Anniversary, hopefully Sega of Japan will consider reissuing it but with HDMI and USB controller ports.

That wouldn't be a reissue so much as a completely new piece of hardware.

It would be nice to see Sega do something for the Genesis other than "let ATGames keep selling licensed clones en masse"

In other video game discussion... anyone playing Titanfall 2 on PC? Buddy of mine sent me a key, figured I'd give it a go.

Heard that while it was much better than Titanfall 1, it's pretty much flopped. Could have been due to market saturation, bad timing, etc. It wasn't even on my radar despite me watching the trailers and some of the walkthrough videos on Youtube..

I picked up Titanfall 2 for the PS4, it's pretty fun. The singleplayer has a decent storyline and some fun set pieces. The multiplayer is great, probably my favorite online FPS in the last few years. I'd say give it a go when it goes on sale for black friday.

Yeah, I heard it's better (and has a singleplayer campaign!), but it kind of just snuck out, and I guess coming between Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty Infinite wasn't the smartest release window EA could have pegged for it. Heck, I'm not particularly interested in BF or CoD, and I really doubt I've have shelled out $60 for Titanfall 2. I'd have probably waited until it dropped to $20-$30 if I wasn't given an Origin key.

On that note, does Battlefield 1 have a singleplayer campaign? Not that I should be bugging my friend for more keys...

• 2 weeks later...
That's actually pretty cool.

I'm surprised that it's for the second in the series. I want aware that there was a first.

Might check them out. Not like Konami is ever going to give us another good Castlevania...

Basically, I'd say it'll happen as soon as the SDK for Star Citizen drops. Think some folks have already been poking at the alpha build files for modding purposes, and the entire game has been sold on allowing that sort of thing from the beginning.

If they pull an ED, and remove that now, SC would probably crash and burn with the power of 1000 No Man's Skies all at once.

While I'm sure the stock game will be worth playing eventually, SC is one of those games I may never actually finish, and just drop hundreds and thousands of hours into building all sorts of mods for it.

Edited by Chronocidal

And the fact that Heavy Armor/Exo Suits and some kind of mecha/ships are planned features makes that idea even better.

As for now Ships can transform between flight and Landing mode, if the add a third stage, things will become pretty interesting.

Edited by Gerli

Even if we don't get entire transformations (which seems very likely anyway), I'm personally just drooling at the idea of how many science fiction franchises I want to see rendered in that engine. That ship is already giving me SG-1 vibes, and I can't wait to see someone start porting BSG and Star Trek designs in, not to mention the potential for things like Macross or Yamato 2199. I'm already considering building up some Cosmo Zero and Falcon models based on the Bandai kits.

I think the big quantum leap will be the quality of mods possible, but I can also see a lot of simpler ports of existing material being shoveled into the game, and gradually improved. They won't match the quality of the base game, but even porting old Freespace 2 mods into SC will be a place to start.

"Coming soon to Kickstarter"

Right.

They're throwing a standard off-the-shelf ARM board* into a Genesis-style case and calling it their own creation. It is probably a stock Linux distribution, too(no shortage of emulator-loaded Lunixes).

I'd rather buy a Pi and load up my own SD card, personally. I might even pay them ten bucks for just the case.

(Easy way to tell it isn't a custom board: that back expansion port. It wouldn't be micro-USB if they were making their own, because it is STUPID and they have no shortage of space to mount another full-size connector.)

If the case was actually metal instead of "stainless steel finish", it'd still be something interesting, though.

</wetblanket>

Yeah. I've checked some early reviews and it looks good. Not sure though if I have time to play this now. Hehehe. :D

I remember seeing this video before of Conan and Elijah Wood playing FFXV as part of Conan's Clueless Gamer feature. :lol:

There are reports that Japanese gamers finished it already. Even if they were really hardcore and played without breaks that'd still be 20-ish hours. Maybe you've got time after all?

I assumed that the 20 hours something is just straight-forward story-mode playing, right? I loved leveling up my characters on the side first. ^_^

From what I've gathered, it's kind of the opposite formula to something like XIII, where the world didn't open up until near the end. Apparently the start of the game is wide open, and allows for a ton of exploration of the far corners of the world, but narrows down significantly as the plot begins to dictate events and destinations.

I assumed that the 20 hours something is just straight-forward story-mode playing, right? I loved leveling up my characters on the side first. ^_^

That was my assumption, but I honestly haven't been following FFXV that closely since I hated XII, XIII, and the various XIII spin-offs. I was banking on XV being crap, and I'm pleasantly surprised to hear things like "best since the PlayStation days".

With The Last Guardian just around the corner, I'll be holding off XV till the price drops or I just rent it. As said above, I've disappointed with the direction Square has taken the series since XII but I've wanted to give XV a chance to win me over.

Also, I've been waiting for higher speed strike aircraft in DCS and it's finally coming. B))

FYI for those that heard about Japanese players beating FFXV in 15 hours, they ONLY did the main story quests, and they skipped ALL of the cut scenes. That's not how most people will play the game. Also, most of the people that finished early finished with their level in the thirties, that's barely scratching the surface for what's out there. I managed to put in about 5 hours last night, I'm feeling it today but the game is phenomenal, this coming from someone who hasn't played a FF since 8. The story is quite meh, I haven't seen any of the extended stuff like the short anime series or the expensive CG movie, but going off what I've played the story takes a gigantic back seat in the first half of the game, aka the most interesting part in my opinion, the open world. I'm sure the story will take full front later as it gets toward the more linear section, but for now it's just a lot of fun open world questing and fighting. Beautiful game, plays well, runs decent on my X1, frame rate dips on occasion when crazy stuff or something massive is on screen. The dungeons are absolutely a blast, I kept reading about some amazing dungeon in the end game that can only be accessed by the airship, level 90 or above recommended, I can't wait to check that out!

How does the musical score stand up with previous games, especially those from when Uematsu was at the helm?

It's solid in my opinion, not as memorable as some from the past, but it holds it's own most of the time. The cut scenes are really well done and the score usually picks up and gets good when it needs to, the giant insane set pieces have some beautiful music flowing through them that really adds to the scene, like I said, solid in my opinion. Funny enough you can buy a music player and CDs that contain classic FF themes and music on them, then you can listen to them anytime. I was rolling down the road listening to the original FFVII and FFIV themes, good stuff.