The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Hey, I wanted to share these, even though my painting (done with brushes) can be charitably described as amateurish.

So, first up is my "Classics" Barricade, from CW Prowl. I used a lot of Reprolabels for this one, specifically the ones for CW Streetwise, 2007 movie Deluxe Barricade, and two of the extra add ons for 2007 movie Deluxe Barricade. I also repainted the entire car black, painted the doors white, the windows a light blue, and the sirens on top and in the front grill red and dark blue, with a touch of silver on the lights in the grill. For both paint and stickers, I was trying to keep as close to Barricade as possible, but some of the markings had to be rearranged to fit the shorter, wider CW figure. The CW Streetwise labels were primarily for the head and taillights and Barricades toes.

post-187-0-18561600-1455158584_thumb.jpg

post-187-0-25989200-1455158592_thumb.jpg

post-187-0-76782000-1455158604_thumb.jpg

Next up is "Classics" Blackout, repainted from CW Vortex. Unfortunately, the gray paint I chose wound up being not significantly different than Vortex's (I wish I'd used a bluer gray), but I eliminated the purple markings, covered all the turquoise with black and gray, and repainted the yellow missiles with a hopefully more realistic white with red markings. I also used a small set of Reprolabels intended for 2007 movie Voyager Blackout to give him the tail number and a few other military markings.

post-187-0-09984300-1455158614_thumb.jpg

The third member of the team is "Classics" Knockout, from CW Dead End. He's a bit of a work in progress yet. I've repainted him with a brighter rer, trimmed the front and rear with silver, and I got the gold rims. Not sure how I'm going to recreate Knockout's silver tribal/flame markings, though. I think I'm going to try to order a Reprolabels kit meant for TF Prime Knockout and see if I can make that work, otherwise I'll have to try to paint them by hand.

post-187-0-45147800-1455158621_thumb.jpg

Here's how they came out in bot mode.

post-187-0-29625900-1455158628_thumb.jpg

You can see I used a lot more silver on Knockout, with a little gold in his elbows and knees Barricade remains predominantly black, but I highlighted some details with a lavender paint and some silver on his shins. For Blackout, I again have the turquoise covered in black, with some dark blue and silver to break up all the gray and black. Oh, and his head is actually from my CW Blast Off (who has the Vortex head). In terms of color I'm pretty satisfied, and I think Prowl's head works fine for Barricade. I can live with that head on Blackout, because it's different than Blades/Vortex/Alpha Bravo, but it doesn't really say "Blackout" to me. For Knockout, that Dead End's head is an awful fit, and I'd like for his chest piece to look more like a car's hood. I'm probably going to hit up Shapeways and see what sort of replacement heads/chest pieces I can find.

I ordered the Armada Starscream Super Mode from HLJ because I didn't want to miss out on the mold. I would much rather have a Armada Skywarp but since the TFCC is doing him (I think) as the freebie for the next subscription service I don't know how easy he will be to come by. It is a plus that I'm drawn to transformers with red faces (looking at you Tracks) and I prefer the Starscream head to the Skywarp one.

I also preordered Sprung (Springer) because I want to experience a triple changer and Bruticus since I don't have any CW/UW toys yet (with the exception being Cyclonus) and I think Bruticus gives a good idea what all the molds are like. Maybe I pick up a jet, a sportscar and a pickup truck down the line.

I have the Hasbro Springer release, and IMO, he's one of the best executed triple changers. I think you'll like him. A proper triple changing G1- esque Springer was missing from the CHUG lineup, so I was really happy when this figure came out. A new Blitzwing was also on my want list, but that fig, unfortunately, wasn't as well executed.

Anyway, between the Combaticons, a car, a pickup, and a jet, you'll basically have a sample of every CW mold. They're all very simplistic, but fun. They feel like toys from the early to mid-90's when ball joints were first coming to the fore as mainstay joints in TFs.

I have the Jhiaxus version of the Armada Starscream mold, and it's a nice figure, with good poseability, and a nice slim jet mode, due to the legs turning sideways to form the rear of the jet. It also has retracting mains and nose gear, and, on Jhiaxus, his wings are molded to tab and slot in his dual pistols, eliminating the need to make corrections every time he's bumped. The nitpicks I have are that, b/c the knees are facing aft in jet mode, he has no engines or engine detail where a jet normally would have them (instead, he has those enormous dorsal engines), and his arms just lay alongside the fuselage, although they do tab into the wings. It's lazy, but both of these are very minor gripes, and overall I think he's a well done Deluxe scale jetformer. I have to admit, that red and blue deco looks great on Super SS..

Edited by M'Kyuun

As I barely remember Computron from the old cartoon (IIRC, after Grimlock became super intelligent, he passed that intelligence to Computron), my interest was pretty low; however, the Technobots had some interesting vehicle modes, and I'm curious to see the how the figures turn out, esp Afterburner (I like transforming motorcycles, but I'm not a bike guy at all...go figure). Actually the prospect of Afterburner getting his own mold is the primary draw for me. Lightspeed, as well, if he turns out looking cool.

Nosecone looks to be another lazy reuse of a mold, merely substituting Brawl's turret with a drill...it doesn't look good to me at all.

I still don't get why Computron has a faceplate.

The answer would seem to be the same reason why Blast Off doesn't. Because Hasbro is stupid/lazy/incompetent/cheap.

As I barely remember Computron from the old cartoon (IIRC, after Grimlock became super intelligent, he passed that intelligence to Computron), my interest was pretty low; however, the Technobots had some interesting vehicle modes, and I'm curious to see the how the figures turn out, esp Afterburner (I like transforming motorcycles, but I'm not a bike guy at all...go figure). Actually the prospect of Afterburner getting his own mold is the primary draw for me. Lightspeed, as well, if he turns out looking cool.

Nosecone looks to be another lazy reuse of a mold, merely substituting Brawl's turret with a drill...it doesn't look good to me at all.

While there's hopefully/probably some new parts, they're all pretty clearly existing molds. Scattershot is still Silverbolt, Nosecone is indeed Brawl, and Afterburner is the first use of Deluxe Groove outside Japan. Harder to say for sure about the others, but it looks to me like Strafe is Skydive and Lightspeed is Breakdown. And that gold disc on Strafe looks like a repaint of Legends Cosmos.

He does appear to have actual hands and feet, though, instead of the combiner Wars hand/foot/guns.

The answer would seem to be the same reason why Blast Off doesn't. Because Hasbro is stupid/lazy/incompetent/cheap.

While there's hopefully/probably some new parts, they're all pretty clearly existing molds. Scattershot is still Silverbolt, Nosecone is indeed Brawl, and Afterburner is the first use of Deluxe Groove outside Japan. Harder to say for sure about the others, but it looks to me like Strafe is Skydive and Lightspeed is Breakdown. And that gold disc on Strafe looks like a repaint of Legends Cosmos.

He does appear to have actual hands and feet, though, instead of the combiner Wars hand/foot/guns.

I agree that this could be the case. However Scattershot has a remolded robot head That doesn't look that different from Silverbolt (basically it has a visor). I think if something was worth remolding it was the combiner head since in my opinion this would be the most important part of a combiner. The other heads you don't see very often (in 1 of 3 cases).

I would be super interested to know how these decisions where made and by whom. I need to find out if Hasbro is hiring. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

I have the Hasbro Springer release, and IMO, he's one of the best executed triple changers. I think you'll like him. A proper triple changing G1- esque Springer was missing from the CHUG lineup, so I was really happy when this figure came out.

I second that. He actually looks good enough among my MP collection. I might not even bite if TakaraTomy decides to release an MP Springer in the future.

As soon as you said Silverbolt remold, any desire to get the full Computron combiner dissipated. Perhaps Macross and a smattering of decent jet-formers have spoiled me, but I've become increasingly intolerant of robot-under-a-jet designs. It's so incredibly lazy, and not much a transformer as a fold-away bot with an aircraft for a backpack. After 30+ years of experience designing these things, I expect better from Takara, and Hasbro by extension.

i was comparing my Hasbro Springer to Sprung, and I noticed they left the chest green on Sprung. That yellow chest is iconic to the character, so I'm surprised it's green. They made the fore-fenders yellow. Odd, esp given Takara's penchant for mirroring the animation rather slavishly.

Looking forward to seeing all the new 2016 TFs at Toyfair this weekend (I'll be following the coverage at TFW2005 and anywhere else I find on the net). I hope there's a new Legends Kickback to finish off the Insecticons. The other two figs are excellent.

From earlier pics of TR Sentinel Prime, I'm guessing that he and Astrotrain's alts are Cybertronian. That's fine for Sentinel, but I really wish they'd given Astrotrain Earth alt modes instead. I didn't care for either alt, based on the Sentinel pics. Kinda sucks, as I skipped the CHUG Astrotrain, and I've been hoping they'd eventually redo him. Now they have, but like the earlier CHUG, this one just doesn't look good to me. :(

I grew up watching the G1 cartoon, and IIRC, Alpha wasn't that big, nor a triple changer. Guess in his mid-millennial crisis, ol' Alpha got an overhaul and got himself a gym membership.

Out of curiosity, are Sentinel Prime and Alpha Trion based on IDW designs? I don't follow the comics, but I'm aware that Has/Tak have been borrowing character designs from them over the last few years. Just wondering.

Remember that time Alpha Trion was a Headmaster? Yeah, me neither. But he's in the Titans Return line...

I feel like the line is less about headmasters, and more about making headmasters out of characters that never were.

I feel like the line is less about headmasters, and more about making headmasters out of characters that never were.

Pretty much.

From earlier pics of TR Sentinel Prime, I'm guessing that he and Astrotrain's alts are Cybertronian. That's fine for Sentinel, but I really wish they'd given Astrotrain Earth alt modes instead. I didn't care for either alt, based on the Sentinel pics. Kinda sucks, as I skipped the CHUG Astrotrain, and I've been hoping they'd eventually redo him. Now they have, but like the earlier CHUG, this one just doesn't look good to me. :(

I grew up watching the G1 cartoon, and IIRC, Alpha wasn't that big, nor a triple changer. Guess in his mid-millennial crisis, ol' Alpha got an overhaul and got himself a gym membership.

Out of curiosity, are Sentinel Prime and Alpha Trion based on IDW designs? I don't follow the comics, but I'm aware that Has/Tak have been borrowing character designs from them over the last few years. Just wondering.

I guess we won't know for sure until we see pics, but I doubt that Astrotrain will have Cybertronian alt modes. I don't expect that they'll exactly be realistic Earth modes, but stylized Earth alts.

As for Alpha Trion, I don't recall him transforming at all in the original cartoon. According to the Covenant of Primus, shapeshifting was Amalgamous Prime's thing, and the T-cogs of all Transformers are based on Amalgamous's, so it's entirely possible that Alpha and the other Primes who weren't Amalgamous weren't supposed to be able to transform. I do seem to recall him transforming into something like Batman's Tumbler in Spotlight: Orion Pax, though.

Which brings me to your question- doesn't look like it. IDW Alpha Trion is bigger than G1, yeah, but still similar, although he's often wearing a cloth cloak. His beard is shorter, too. TR Alpha Trion has a different head and all those beast bits that IDW Alpha Trion doesn't.

Unless IDW is planning something for the eventual Titans Return storyline... well, then all bets are off.

Check out your Transformers new site of choice, they should have some images from Toy Fair 2016. Here is a picture of Fort Max:

DSC08784.jpg

He looks freaking amazing. I wish I had a child that I could gift that toy to. For my collection it's just too big. It looks way better than Metroplex in my opinion. Must be the white. Anyhow here are some links to more pictures:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-fortress-maximus-display-images-309695

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-titans-return-display-images-309696

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-robots-disguise-309699

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-combiner-wars-platinum-edition-images-309698

Guest davidwhangchoi

Check out your Transformers new site of choice, they should have some images from Toy Fair 2016. Here is a picture of Fort Max:

He looks freaking amazing. I wish I had a child that I could gift that toy to. For my collection it's just too big. It looks way better than Metroplex in my opinion. Must be the white. Anyhow here are some links to more pictures:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-fortress-maximus-display-images-309695

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-titans-return-display-images-309696

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-robots-disguise-309699

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-combiner-wars-platinum-edition-images-309698

thanks Scyla,

came over here to post comparison pic to G1 and titans metro that were up last night:

24350285644_281225d404_b.jpg

alt mode:

12711220_215986295418472_679465704321857

12672020_215986408751794_831794734981493

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

oh wow. I quit TFs a while ago, but that looks so cool.

yeah, i skipped on titans metro but may get this if they sell it cheap at costco like metro was, i got the g1 figure, so i'm interested in this

Edited by davidwhangchoi

No updates on the new Power Master Optimus Prime.

Just a few pics being dwarfed by Fortress Maximus are all I've seen. If you have CW Ultra Magnus, then you have a good idea of what to expect. Powermaster Prime will be a little more involved due to a number of folding panels on his legs. Should be a good fig.

I'm bummed that they still haven't made Kickback. :wacko:

I'm pretty impressed at all the G1 figs being made, and at how well they homage the original toys. Wheelie is an annoying character, but that new figure looks awesome. :wub: Blurr also looks good, and they nailed his Cybertronian floaty-car mode. I was never into the Headmasters, but looking at all these upcoming figures, my nostalgia runneth over. It brings back clear memories of looking at those old fold-out toy brochures that came with boxed figures in the 80's. These are the toys I wish we'd been getting back then, instead of the bricks we actually got. It's taken a long time, but I'm glad to see all those old toys being given the modern treatment. :) I hope there are a few parents out there who still have their old TFs to show their kids, just to give them a sense of appreciation for how far toy design has come compared to when we were kids. It'd be great if Hasbro did a presentation on their site showing a side-by-side comparison of a number of 80's TFs and their modern equivalents.

Reading through their opening statements, I find it very interesting that Hasbro is now taking the adult collector market much more seriously, to include making up 30% of their TF consumer market (I'll bet it's higher than that), and creating a four-tier classification of fans, the last two which are predominantly the teen and adult market. Moreover, they are bringing back the Generations line, which is also targeted at the adult collector. They are also looking for more fan input which will directly influence upcoming TF products. IMO, Hasbro is moving in a positive direction with this franchise, and I'm hopeful to see this line continue until I'm old and gray. Now they just need to find a market for the MP line here in the US.

Wow the Fort Max does look pretty good, It seems they didn't finish transforming their city modes because I see 2 big hinges on the inter part of the leg.

Just a few pics being dwarfed by Fortress Maximus are all I've seen. If you have CW Ultra Magnus, then you have a good idea of what to expect. Powermaster Prime will be a little more involved due to a number of folding panels on his legs. Should be a good fig.

I'm bummed that they still haven't made Kickback. :wacko:

I'm pretty impressed at all the G1 figs being made, and at how well they homage the original toys. Wheelie is an annoying character, but that new figure looks awesome. :wub: Blurr also looks good, and they nailed his Cybertronian floaty-car mode. I was never into the Headmasters, but looking at all these upcoming figures, my nostalgia runneth over. It brings back clear memories of looking at those old fold-out toy brochures that came with boxed figures in the 80's. These are the toys I wish we'd been getting back then, instead of the bricks we actually got. It's taken a long time, but I'm glad to see all those old toys being given the modern treatment. :) I hope there are a few parents out there who still have their old TFs to show their kids, just to give them a sense of appreciation for how far toy design has come compared to when we were kids. It'd be great if Hasbro did a presentation on their site showing a side-by-side comparison of a number of 80's TFs and their modern equivalents.

Reading through their opening statements, I find it very interesting that Hasbro is now taking the adult collector market much more seriously, to include making up 30% of their TF consumer market (I'll bet it's higher than that), and creating a four-tier classification of fans, the last two which are predominantly the teen and adult market. Moreover, they are bringing back the Generations line, which is also targeted at the adult collector. They are also looking for more fan input which will directly influence upcoming TF products. IMO, Hasbro is moving in a positive direction with this franchise, and I'm hopeful to see this line continue until I'm old and gray. Now they just need to find a market for the MP line here in the US.

I know what you mean. I mean, I swore off Transformers, but I started again because, hey, combiners! And yet I find myself making a wishlist of Titans Return figures, too. I'm probably going to pick up Skullcruncher, Hardhead, Chromedome, Scourge and Mindwipe (dunno if he was shown at Toyfair or not). Maybe Blurr... I have the previous Generations figure and I dig it (especially the IDW head), but this one has the better alt mode. I'll probably pass on Brainstorm, though. I think they did a respectable job turning Blurr's mold into Brainstorm, but the Voyager from a year ago looks much better. I'm down for Galvatron. I haven't decided on Sentinel... he looks kind of awful in all three modes, but the colors are spot on for IDW Sentinel Prime. Astrotrain and Alpha Trion are wait-and-sees. I'm definitely interested in Power Master Prime, but I'm finding myself rather cool on Blaster and Soundwave. I think they look good enough (well, Blaster anyway) but I don't feel like they scale well with Deluxe and Voyager CHUGs. On the Legends end, I'm thinking I'll get Rewind and Wheelie. And like yourself, I'm down for a Legends Kickback. Heck, if they can redeco Shrapnel as Chop Shop, there's no reason why Hasbro couldn't do a Kickback, then reuse him as Ransack.

On the largest and smallest ends, heck yeah I'm down with Fortress Maximus. They did a pretty bang up job of reusing Metroplex's mold without making a toy that didn't look/feel enough like Max, and besides I didn't get my hands on Metroplex the last time around (and for the aftermarket prices on him, I might as well just buy Utopia now). And while I was never hugely into the whole Headmaster thing (aside from Brainstorm, who I actually had as a kid) for some reason the whole guy turning into a head for the guy that turns into a head for the big guy really tickles my fancy. But the tiny Titan Master figures can kiss my grits. I mean, it might be something kids are into, and it might be useful for kids who lose the heads that came with their toys and need replacement, but I have no use for them.

I've never really stopped collecting Transformers, but there were a number of years when the toys just didn't tickle my fancy (Looking at you, Unicron Trilogy). The Classics line, and every incarnation thereafter, have been a boon to my desire to collect these toys. I'm a G-Oner at heart, and those characters will always remain with me as the core of Transformers. That doesn't mean I'm against taking the franchise in other directions; I loved Animated and Prime both, actually more than the second season and beyond of the G1 cartoon. I have no tolerance for the live-action movies, but I thought the toys from the first three movies were incredible little feats of engineering, and I own a lot of them. I wish and hope some of that complexity will find its way back into the Generations line. I've not watched any of the RiD cartoon, but I've bought 6 figures from that line, and will probably pick up the upcoming Windblade ( which looks better than the CHUG version, IMO) and Skorponok (both modes look amazing to me). They are just simply fun toys. :)

The Headmaster gimmick is one that makes me scratch my head; it's so bloody impractical. Even if you could separate your head and live, why would you want to? I realize it was a marketing tool, but even as a kid, I thought it was pretty dumb. That said...I'm diggin' Galvatron, Blaster, Blurr, PM Prime (who were not actually Headmasters til now :rolleyes: ), and perhaps an actual HM or two. Has/Tak have really done a great job with the sculpts on these figs, and nostalgia has me within its tenacious grip. I'm tentatively curious about the new 'device' figs, which have replaced the cassettes of yore. (Sometimes, in certain circumstances, progress is a downer. I love the cassettes figs, and have been hoping the rest of the cassettes would get the MP treatment, but in a mainline targeting kids, cassettes have sadly lost their relevance.) Thus far, I think what they're doing is a good compromise, although maintaining the cassette aesthetic in bot mode is kinda silly; just make them their own characters. Anyway, as for the new Astrotrain, I think making him a leader class fig is right scale-wise...a shuttle and a train both should be huge next to a car. But, judging from the Sentinel toy, both alts are going to be anything but Earth accurate, which is a bummer. A big G-1ish Astrotrain would be great, and even greater if they could go the extra mile to make his cargo doors open in shuttle mode, but I'm dreaming now. At any rate, I think Astro's gonna be a bust for me, and so I'll keep hoping that a more G1 inspired version will come along in the future. Blaster, OTOH, looks amazing to me, and I'm not even that interested in Blaster. Nostalgia, man. It's gotta be analogous to cigarette smoke to an ex-smoker. Draws you in and takes over your gray cells.

Good call on remaking a potential Kickback into Ransack. ATTN: Hasbro. This!

City and base formers have never really floated my boat, but seeing that side-by-side comparison of FM is pretty impressive, as well as seeing PM Prime only coming to his knee. Really puts the size of this thing into perspective. Pretty neat.

Jury's out on Alpha Trion. Like you, I'll wait and see what the toy looks like in all its modes before I make a decision. From what I'm seeing now, my interest is very low, but I thought the same thing about leader class Megatron. I still think his legs could have been improved, but he makes a nice looking tank, and rolling treads FTW! No regrets. :D

Headmasters only really made sense to me in the Japanese series, where the actual living robot was the head, the larger bot needed the head attached to do stuff, and the smaller bot can't stay attached in alt mode and therefore pilots it.

David, isn't the new Windblade toy for the RID cartoon? The only RID figure I bought was Grimlock, and from a toy design POV they're a significant step down from similarly-priced CHUGs.

Headmasters only really made sense to me in the Japanese series, where the actual living robot was the head, the larger bot needed the head attached to do stuff, and the smaller bot can't stay attached in alt mode and therefore pilots it.

David, isn't the new Windblade toy for the RID cartoon? The only RID figure I bought was Grimlock, and from a toy design POV they're a significant step down from similarly-priced CHUGs.

Yeah it is but it's a retool of the build a bot version from the Generations line (or whatever it is called) so it has all the wonky stuff from that plus a few additional details that make her less appealing. David is right, we need a better version of her. Maybe MMC can make us a IDW styled version of Windblade. I'd be down for that (seeing Davids thread over at TFW).