The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Probably for the US version if they can bring the toy over due to toy gun regulations.

The legal situation is such a quagmire I wouldn't want to wade into it if I were Hasbro. Every state has their own laws.

I was really just hoping TakaraTomy had repaint plans. I don't wanna buy anime-accurate colors, then see the RIGHT version come out six months later. But I'd rather have the wrong colors than none at all.

Edited by JB0

Well from what I remember, the original G1 Shockwave was a deeper purple, so this one so far looks to be more "tv color" accurate as far as I remember. I loved my G1 Shockwave, he was just awesome. Hopefully this one doesn't disappoint!

Edited by derex3592

I wonder if you can detach the backpack to free up the waist movement. From the images I saw online I assume the toy won't be able to swivel at the waist with the backpack in place.

[edit:] I was in a toy store yesterday before I went and saw Deadpool (excellent movie btw) and since I finished reading MtmtE Volume 8 I thought I buy me a CW Fist Aid. I actually found one but he was $33 so I put him down and went away. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

$33?! The CW toys aren't worth the $16 MSRP, relatively speaking. That's just pure rip-offery.

Concerning MP Shockwave, I wish he were the darker purple like the G1 toy, but I'm not as big a stickler on colors as a few folks around here are. I'm glad they made him, and he looks pretty good to me. I think Cloud 9's version has more accurate feet, though, closer to both G1 toy and animation. Shockwave had some big clodhoppers. I've been looking through the various pics online, and I've not seen one that gives any indication of waist swivel, so they may just have forgone that joint altogether due to his big backpack. I'm curious to see a an early review of this fig to see how that barrel folds and stows. It's a creative solution to what could have easily been written off as a partial parts-former.

I'm hoping that more car-bots will be announced for this year...other than the upcoming releases and BW Primal, there hasn't been much MP news.

Well from what I remember, the original G1 Shockwave was a deeper purple, so this one so far looks to be more "tv color" accurate as far as I remember. I loved my G1 Shockwave, he was just awesome. Hopefully this one doesn't disappoint!

Right. Thing is... I'd much rather have toy colors than anime colors.

I, too, had an original Shockwave, and have many fond memories of terrorizing the dog with his sweet light-and-sound effects.

Though at least the MP isn't garishly offensive. If it's the only color the mold ever comes in, it will be tolerable disappointment.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Right. Thing is... I'd much rather have toy colors than anime colors.

I, too, had an original Shockwave, and have many fond memories of terrorizing the dog with his sweet light-and-sound effects.

Though at least the MP isn't garishly offensive. If it's the only color the mold ever comes in, it will be tolerable disappointment.

he looks ok, but i want deep purple like marvel comic cover

what i really want is the vintage 2 sounds from the original :)

Me too, but that may be asking too much. It seems like electronic sound effects are a lost art.

Heln, let's be honest here. When it comes to Shockwave, I just want the original toy with better legs.

Edited by JB0

Me too, but that may be asking too much. It seems like electronic sound effects are a lost art.

Heln, let's be honest here. When it comes to Shockwave, I just want the original toy with better legs.

Maybe you should look into Cloud9 Quakeblast. It has a nice dark purpel color, more G1 looking lower legs compared to his daddy Fanstoys Quakewave and it even comes with a G1 style gun muzzle. It also has a light up eye and gun.

Actually am considering a Quakeblast. Fixes most of the glaring issues Quakewave had. But it still lacks sounds when you pull the trigger. :(

I would prefer the MP if they do a toy paintjob(it is the best mold by far), but right now...

Edited by JB0

Y'know, with all the miniaturization that's been achieved with electronics, how difficult would it be to put a small sound chip, powered by a watch battery, in this without compromising the overall design. Same can be said for his eye; they could put an LED in there and it would work great. Once he releases, I doubt it'll be long before we see some nice mods to add those things. I'm honestly not a huge fan of electronics in toys, but sometimes, as in this case, it brings something cool to the figure, and makes it all that much more enjoyable.

I watched that video earlier today and wow is his chest flat from the side view. This aesthetic choice still puzzles me. Looking at the size comparison by Charles made me realize the shift in the MP design language. Comparing MP-10 with MP Ironhide, Magnus and Hot Rodimus you can clearly see that they are now much smoother when it comes to surface detailing. I don't think one or the other looks bad I just wish they kept it consistent. :wacko:

Could be. But explore, if you will, the possibility that you are being entirely fair.

LOL. :lol: So true, and so fair.

I've never been a big fan of Hot Rod, anyway, but I'll buy any good figure if it looks decent to me. This doesn't, and hasn't since it was first revealed. Animated Hot Rod is my favorite version of the character, and I have Classics HR on my CHUG shelf, who still looks better than MP HR, IMHO. I think the MP figure could have been significantly improved if that hood had been shortened a bit (get rid of the Matrix slot) and if there'd been a nice taper from the waist out to the shoulders for a little bit of "v" to his torso. Also, lose that single piece crotch plate and just make small hinged panels for forward thigh movement. Those two changes alone would have made him a better looking figure, IMO.

I also passed on MP UM, but I like the CW version. Fun figure, but he would have been even cooler had they scaled him up just a little more to make his truck cab in scale with the rest of the CHUG/CW cars.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Y'know, with all the miniaturization that's been achieved with electronics, how difficult would it be to put a small sound chip, powered by a watch battery, in this without compromising the overall design. Same can be said for his eye; they could put an LED in there and it would work great. Once he releases, I doubt it'll be long before we see some nice mods to add those things. I'm honestly not a huge fan of electronics in toys, but sometimes, as in this case, it brings something cool to the figure, and makes it all that much more enjoyable.

The head would likely need an indepedent battery to avoid wiring damage during transformation(Unicron is the same way). Running wires through joints isn't a good plan.

Same reason the original toy had the now-iconic cable from the back to the left hand.

And yeah, in this case the light and sound demand is mostly because it's such a memorable feature of the original toy.

No one really cares that Galvatron used the same circuit, or even really that he turned into a laser gun at all. He had a lot of other things going for him that were more memorable.

But for Shockwave it's a large part of what he is. Probably 70% of people that love Shockwave love him because they had him as a kid and ran around shooting at things with him(the other 30% read the comics). I'd wager almost no one loves him because of is appearance in the cartoon, because he didn't DO anything in the cartoon on the rare occasion that he showed up.

Probably 70% of people that love Shockwave love him because they had him as a kid and ran around shooting at things with him(the other 30% read the comics).

Well, both, in my case. I had some of the early Marvel TBPs, but I also had a toy that turned into a gun that made cool sounds...

I'd wager almost no one loves him because of is appearance in the cartoon, because he didn't DO anything in the cartoon on the rare occasion that he showed up.

Especially because I actually had a Shackwave.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i canned my hot rod pre order a while ago, i suspect, he'll be in stock for a bit after release if i change my opinion

Edited by davidwhangchoi

After discussing MP Shockwave, I looked up some pics online out of anticipation. Concerning whether he has a waist swivel, I'm thinking yes. Look at the second pic from the top. It's slight, but noticeable: http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/10215/transformers_masterpiece_mp29_shockwave_laserwave_updated

Charles posted up his MP-28 Hot Rod review:

https://youtu.be/LjXoLqyk4Ec

After I paid for my Hot Rod over at HLJ, I've browsed this thread and saw this video. Gawd, didn't expect him to be smaller than the previous MP figure. And here I am thinking did I purchased a Masterpiece or a Classic line Hot Rod? :lol: But I have to admit, the transformation kinda simpler now than the previous one. Looking forward to it. ;)