The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

who was doing ultra magnus?

Based on what they're saying, Hironori Kobayashi, the designer of MP-1 thru 10. I got the impression that the line-up was only announced and that no meaningful design work has been done.

The designer of MP-11 to 19 is still doing Star Saber though.

Those in the know can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

-b.

That's just great. I've always preferred the designs starting the later MP designs, namely Soundwave, Lambor and Prowl, and now the guy who designed them is being replaced by the one who designed the older MP's?

At TFW2005, I notice there were some who are debating on whether it was Hasui or Kobayashi who actually designed MP-10.

I'm not really concerned about a new designer until we see some images of the first MP Transformer he designed. I really like the Alternity line for all the details and finish they have (I will never understand why the MP cars have no clear tail lights).

However I will be very angry if the first MP toy from that designer is Convoy in a new scale. ^_^

Based on what they're saying, Hironori Kobayashi, the designer of MP-1 thru 10. I got the impression that the line-up was only announced and that no meaningful design work has been done.

The designer of MP-11 to 19 is still doing Star Saber though.

Those in the know can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

-b.

You have the MP designers mixed up. To clarify:

Hironori Kobayshi designed MP-1 thru MP-9. His original MP-3 Starscream design was re-worked by Kawamori to the eventual design.

Shogo Hasui took over with MP-10. He has since designed all MP releases thru to MP-19, MP-12G and MP-13B. I am also assuming he undid Kawamori's revisions to bring MP-3 closer to the original Kobayashi design for MP-11.

There is no indication so far if MP Wheeljack is Hasui's or Kobayashi's design.

Hisashi Yuki is handling the MP Star Saber design.

Edited by IXTL

Yeah, there's seems to be a huge argument on who actually designed MP-10.

Regardless, Binaltech was awesome, Buster Prime was awesome, and Leader movie Star Scream

Was art.

There's nothing to worry about.

Unless they change the MP cars simplicity.

Then I be all Keanu and be like ..woah

So they are letting the guy who designed some of the worst MP's take over for the guy who has designed some of the best?

Seems legit.

The biggest worry for me is that they will start cutting more corners and having hollow parts to save money. As the quality declines so will my interest.

Say what is this thing with cutting corners and the Masterpiece line. I just found a thread on tfw2005 where they are complaining about the quality and features of these. Personally I think that the MP Transformers are lacking in finish. As an example the chromed parts on my MP-09B have gate marks in positions where you look at directly.

Compared to other collectible toys they seem not that cheap so why the cost cutting? Are they not selling as well as the SRC stuff or are they so expensive because they can transform. The other thought was that TF collectors are not willing to pay more like say $100 for a perfect Masterpiece Lambor with a pristine paint job, chromed rims and more painted and printed on details.

I think I have not enough knowledge about the whole toy collector business so any insight is appreciated.

Oh and don't get me started on the plastic swirls and plastic finish for the gray parts of MP-11. Even the pictures if it look terrible. ^_^

You have the MP designers mixed up. To clarify:

Hironori Kobayshi designed MP-1 thru MP-9. His original MP-3 Starscream design was re-worked by Kawamori to the eventual design.

Shogo Hasui took over with MP-10. He has since designed all MP releases thru to MP-19, MP-12G and MP-13B. I am also assuming he undid Kawamori's revisions to bring MP-3 closer to the original Kobayashi design for MP-11.

There is no indication so far if MP Wheeljack is Hasui's or Kobayashi's design.

Hisashi Yuki is handling the MP Star Saber design.

Ah, gotcha. We basically said the same thing except for the MP-10 discrepancy and my error on the MP Star Saber designer.

Thank you for adding some clarity.

For me since I'm very much a casual TF collector I'll happily move on from annoyed to a sit back and wait approach. If the designs suck then I won't buy them (like I skipped MP 1, 2, 3, 4 (I sold w out ever opening), 5, 6, 7 and 8. And if they suck hard enough we all know that Takara will revisit the designs again anyway. :mellow:

-b.

I hope to see a panel at the inner side of the feet and a way to tuck away the side mirrors on the shin guards.

I really love the Italian flag paint job and the vehicle mode so I guess this release is gonna be awesome. The tfwiki only mentions one repaint of the G1 mold that goes by the name of Marlboor Wheeljack. Are there any other repaints that could come out of this mold?

I really love the Italian flag paint job and the vehicle mode so I guess this release is gonna be awesome. The tfwiki only mentions one repaint of the G1 mold that goes by the name of Marlboor Wheeljack. Are there any other repaints that could come out of this mold?

Not really- in reality the "group 5" version of the Stratos only ever appeared in the Marlboro and Alitalia liveries. The Rally version of the car, which was a fairly different shape (shorter, narrower, less extreme aero) competed in more varied colours, but not that many. Of course, none of those liveries turned up in Transformers. The marlboor one was only ever a diaclone and not a TF.

Once the final pics hit, I'll be pre-ordering, assuming its not a disaster. I got MP smokescreen for Christmas and am really impressed.

Surprised at the side-mirrors, they look pretty weird/bad there, especially considering how many hinges went into hiding them on Prowl/Streak.

As for the hollow/open lower inner legs----go look at MP Sideswipe. Same thing there, don't expect it to change.

sideswipeposed-2.jpg

I hope to see a panel at the inner side of the feet and a way to tuck away the side mirrors on the shin guards.

Slicer is a repaint option that we'll likely see.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Slicer

That looks fugly! On the other hand it will fit well with my MP-09B on the shelf.

Talking about Masterpiece Transformers. The last few days I had time to play with my MP-10B a bit and I'm baffled how close it came to be the perfect Transformer at least in my eyes. The finish, paint job and chosen material is all there as well as a nice transformation and nice gimmicks. It also has a good size.

However the range of motion in the joints is really a let down. Every time I try to strike a pose I wish that the joints have more range of motion. It its not just missing double jointed knees and elbows there are also the range of motion in the shoulders, hips and head.

If it weren't for the whole durability issues on MP Hod Rod (my MP-09B had two broken knee joints right out of the box) I think I would be the best MP Transformer in my collection.

The good think I guess is there is enough room for improvements when Takara is rebooting the line after MP Star Saber. ;)

Edited by Scyla