The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

A little OT, but I've been searching for clear images of the rest of the Takara G1 re-issue from a few years back - the ones in the display boxes, they had 'data-files' of a handful of characters in each box. These are the ones I have, scanned them this morning - anyone have more that they can scan for me or point me in a good direction?

LOOK AT THEM OMG SO AWESUM.

post-1623-0-81092200-1384230815_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-12502800-1384230846_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-93616000-1384230863_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-08045400-1384230877_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-27718000-1384230908_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-26357600-1384230934_thumb.jpg

Actually, here's the breakdown on the car prices:

MP-12, 14 and 12T were 52$ USD retail

(Each had 2 accessories)

MP-17 and 18 were 48$

( each has one accessory )

MP-19 is 52$ USD retail

( has three accessories )

The only price difference is the number of accessories.

Actually, that's only true if there ever was a US retail-release.

You need to factor in shipping and other shenanigans such as actual availability and scalper-pricing.

They were readily available at Ami Ami and HLJ at those prices.

Secondary market values have no effect on mainstream production.

These new "reissues" are being done by Hasbro Asia, using secondary

market pricing to sell at retail.

I don't buy at scalper price levels. I wait it out.

They were readily available at Ami Ami and HLJ at those prices.

Secondary market values have no effect on mainstream production.

These new "reissues" are being done by Hasbro Asia, using secondary

market pricing to sell at retail.

I don't buy at scalper price levels. I wait it out.

I don't remember seeing 12T specifically at either HLJ or Ami at all.

That said, even if you disregard scalper-pricing, you still need to figure in shipping and other fees.

Takara-pricing is only for Japan and Hasbro-Asia pricing is only for Hasbro-Asia territories. It is quite wrong to try to equate either pricing to actual US-retail pricing just by basing it on existing exchange-rates. The only item near or close to 1:1 pricing was MP-13. Even that was really not 1:1, as we got the other cassettes as freebies in the US-pricing.

Therefore, you must still add at least the price of shipping (EMS is about +US$20 or SAL which is about +US$12 to +US$15) to the actual pricing of either Takara-Japan or Hasbro-Asia pricing when trying to come up with equivalent US-retail pricing for non-US items.

Heck! SAL is about US$17-US$20 as of right now and EMS is about US$22-US$25, and Paypal's current exchange-rate is still US$1 is 0.96y.

And that's only based on using Japan-shipping fees. Not sure how much HK/TW-shipping fees/costs nowadays.

Edited by treatment

KO's are always crap, sometimes it just takes awhile for the materials to break down.

I'd never buy a KO of an MP, because I'm buying it for the quality.

Well, the quality is questionable these days as cost-cutting techniques have risen, and KO's can really match the quality of the real thing rather well these days, as far as TFs are concerned. Conversely, Yamato/Arcadia stuff is so much more complex that it may not be worthwhile for the KO companies to even attempt.

Now that there is a second run of MP-12 ( which still hasn't shown up on Japanese sites, which if it doesn't within the week

Might be just a KO being sold as authentic by HA or the Distributors for TFS and BBTS)

As far as I know, the "second run" is not intended for the Japanese market and so I'd be surprised if it did show up in those places. Same goes for the Masterpieces that came with Commemorative coins, and special display cases, and the "Year of the Horse Specials" etc. Like it or not, the market is much bigger now in China etc., than in Japan.

I don't need to factor in shipping.

Even still...

48$ +12$ SAL = 60$

Or 79.99$ + 9$ UPS ground from BBTS is still 88$

If you use an option like Private Warehouse, then adding the

MP cars is close to nothing in added shipping.

If you buy from the US retailers your paying for a 3rd party distributor.

And yes, MP-12T was a convention exclusive, but it wasn't any different than

The MP-12 with Amazon pile drives.

I don't need to factor in shipping.

Even still...

48$ +12$ SAL = 60$

Or 79.99$ + 9$ UPS ground from BBTS is still 88$

If you use an option like Private Warehouse, then adding the

MP cars is close to nothing in added shipping.

If you buy from the US retailers your paying for a 3rd party distributor.

And yes, MP-12T was a convention exclusive, but it wasn't any different than

The MP-12 with Amazon pile drives.

Sure, shipping from HLJ-PW for both Prowl and Bluestreak costs me only around $12 paypal (1096y, iirc).

But again, it still ain't 1:1 as you've already got pre-order discounts instead of MSRP.

Incidentally, how much did you guys actually paid Amazon.jp 3rd-parties for the pile-drivers and stuff since Amazon.jp disallows direct US-sales on toys? Did you guys have to go thru a proxy-service? How much did the proxy-service charged you?

I don't buy from BBTS so I'm not sure how much they jack up their actual pricing.

Does anyone know if Takara is planning on a re-release/repaint of the cassettes to accommodate the release of black Soundwave release next year?

I have the MP-10B so I was thinking of starting a collection of repaints of the Transformers MP line from Takara. I've got Bluestreak coming to check out the cars albeit I think they are a tad to small. Maybe ordering G2 Sideswipe to go along but I'm not to keen on the spiky wheels on his shoulders and the G2 Autobot logo on the chest because it seems this will be a sticker and not printed.

I really wished they'd ditched the feature to store in Convoys trailer. First they cannot drive out of it because the ramp is to steep and they don't have enough chassis clearance. Secondly they are too small to compared to MP-10. They don't have to be much bigger (like MP-1 scale) but they are to small for my likings (as I said just a tad maybe a half inch). I love the reboot of the MP line and Convoy goes well together with MP-09 and the Kawamori Skywarp (which I both have).

Long story short. Since my Frontier collection is almost finished (hohoho) and Arcadia seems to cut down on one new release per year I might start a new collection. I was not overly impressed with the quality of the first MP line but MP-10 is nice (not great) and maybe Bluestreak will win me over.

So excited! Star Saber won!

Voting result breakdown.

11. Fort Max - 0.3%
10. Grand Convoy - 1.5%
9. Lio Convoy - 2.0%
8. Big Convoy - 2.1%
7. Galaxy Convoy - 2.5%
6. BW Convoy - 4.6%
5. Super Fire Convoy - 4.9%
4. Dia Atlas - 8.0%
3. Super Ginrai - 18.6%
2. Micron Densetsu Convoy - 24.3%
1. Star Saber - 31.2%

MP Star Saber is by far my most anticipated MP, then Wheeljack. Ultra Magnus is lukewarm for me. So glad we didn't get another Optimus! Haha.

1453557_540394266046314_396709576_o.jpg

23jlvue.jpg

2v16e1k.png

2lkb0og.jpg

1471939_433608166738692_1771042707_n.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

Re: the fan poll Masterpiece, not really a fan of the design and like Jenius I have no idea who that is as a character (although the face gives off a Prime/Convoy vibe, even if he's not). Good on those that know/care if it's a good fan choice. Depending on how it turns out then it might be worth a purchase if for nothing else being a pseudo-completest.

Was at TRU and saw Jetwing Optimus Prime. Was tempted to buy to try and satisfy my want for a Hasbro MP-10 but wanted to ask if anyone familiar with the movie molds if it was worth the $ 99 asking price. Is it?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22431746&cp=&parentPage=search

-b.

Um.. he's the greatest swordsman in the universe?

He was basically a giant headmaster in the late 80's, and he turned into a giant space craft. Flying Gundam Optimus Prime!

He's a giant space-ship autobot with a smaller jet, a big ass sword, and a pilot. What's not to love?

It was the last official G1 cartoon, and it had a great Japanese flavor (heavy Gundam influence) when the American market was turning to pretenders and petering out.

It's a holy grail for many.

This guy is a little annoying, but its a good review.

Any macross fan should love it. haha.

I'm down for two! haha. I also hope they make a Victory leo so we can have Victory Saber!!! haha.

I'm excited of the prospect, because I think they will be great collectors items. I think most American fans will skip them, but it will be vastly popular in Japan.

G1_Star_Saber_art_variant.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

Well, that's the point. It won the fan choice poll and it is being made into a MP.

My feeling is a lot of you will change your tune when it comes out haha.

Maybe, depending on the price. Thing is, I'm not sure if I can see myself buying a figure whose character I know nothing about, and one that's almost certainly expensive. Coupled by rapidly shrinking display real estate, I'll probably reserve the cash and the space for something else.

Was at TRU and saw Jetwing Optimus Prime. Was tempted to buy to try and satisfy my want for a Hasbro MP-10 but wanted to ask if anyone familiar with the movie molds if it was worth the $ 99 asking price. Is it?

Maybe...?

It looks like retooling of RotF Leader Prime, who is probably one of the best movie-line Transformers to date. Good as he is, he's not perfect, and he's no Masterpiece. I got the battle-damaged one with the hooks at Ross or something for $25; that was worth it. I personally wouldn't pay $99, but it's a good representation of the character in a big toy.

As for Star Saber... I really can't think of a good reason why I'd want an MP of him. He's a character from a bad Japanese G1 show, in an era when Takara had pretty much given up on making Transformers that actually turned into anything remotely resembling anything but bricks that turned into robo-bricks. Making an MP of him will make for a more articulated brick, but I don't see how it can improve the character's underlying piss-poor design.

Personally, I was hoping Fire Convoy would have won. An awesome MP-quality version of him would be the bee's knees, since he's my favorite non-G1 Prime.

Yes.. because we don't have 7 or 8 MP primes already? Mp1, Mp2 (White), Mp4, Mp4s, Mp10, Mp10b, Mp10 Yoth.

Fire Convoy looks like a Digimon or something.

The original G1 cartoon was pretty bad... to be honest. haha. And to be fair, they'd already made a transformer of just about everything there was to make. I don't think he's that much different from the other head/power masters at the time. If you can't love a giant space shuttle I got nothing to say. All I know is when the production photos pop all the haters will be freaking out with the rest of us. haha.

How can you have an articulated brick? :rolleyes:

Edited by Gakken85

Maybe...?It looks like retooling of RotF Leader Prime, who is probably one of the best movie-line Transformers to date. Good as he is, he's not perfect, and he's no Masterpiece. I got the battle-damaged one with the hooks at Ross or something for $25; that was worth it. I personally wouldn't pay $99, but it's a good representation of the character in a big toy.As for Star Saber... I really can't think of a good reason why I'd want an MP of him. He's a character from a bad Japanese G1 show, in an era when Takara had pretty much given up on making Transformers that actually turned into anything remotely resembling anything but bricks that turned into robo-bricks. Making an MP of him will make for a more articulated brick, but I don't see how it can improve the character's underlying piss-poor design.Personally, I was hoping Fire Convoy would have won. An awesome MP-quality version of him would be the bee's knees, since he's my favorite non-G1 Prime.

Jetwing Prime is 50$ for Black Friday at TRU.

The paint apps are junk, if you like the toy, you can get the Takara version

From places like Mandrake for 80$.

Yes.. because we don't have 7 or 8 MP primes already? Mp1, Mp2 (White), Mp4, Mp4s, Mp10, Mp10b, Mp10 Yoth.

I collect three types of Transformers... Classics/Universe/Generations updates of G1 characters, Masterpieces (although I haven't bothered to buy any non-US MPs besides Megatron), and Optimus Primes. If they made an MP Fire Convoy, Super Ginrai, or even Armada Prime, I'd have bought it. Heck, I've stated before and will say again if they release an MP-10 repaint of Pepsi Convoy I'll import it.

You're right, the G1 cartoon was pretty dumb at times... but the Japanese sequels took it to whole new levels of bad. And for what it's worth, I didn't like the Headmaster designs any more than I like Star Saber's.

Might as well say it now, I don't like Dai Atlas, either.

Guest davidwhangchoi

that was in the cartoon? i have the 3 dvd japanese transformer collection but i haven't seen him yet... (i haven't watched god ginra, the 3rd dvd series yet...)

i want american g1 stuff. everything teletraan-1 created 80's stuff. (season 1 season 2 related)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Maybe, depending on the price. Thing is, I'm not sure if I can see myself buying a figure whose character I know nothing about, and one that's almost certainly expensive. Coupled by rapidly shrinking display real estate, I'll probably reserve the cash and the space for something else.

Nothing wrong with that :D I'm just excited for it haha.

The G1 US Cartoon stuff will keep coming, this is just a nice fan piece to spice things up, and I for one welcome the look of it. Always wanted one.

that was in the cartoon? i have the 3 dvd japanese transformer collection but i haven't seen him yet... (i haven't watched god ginra, the 3rd dvd series yet...)

God Ginrai is from Masterforce. That should be the second Japanese series.

If you're asking about Star Saber (aka the guy getting an MP), he's from Transformers Victory, which is the series after Masterforce.

If you're asking about Dai Atlas (who I mentioned), he's from Transformers Zone, which is a bizarre movie that takes place after Victory.