The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

This little beauty came in today. I was worried about the paint quality for Smokescreen, but that fear was put to rest after a quick inspection; the colors are vibrant and applied neatly with little abberations. His joints are rather tight though, much tighter than Prowl's. Of note is that Smokescreen doesn't have the hollow shoulder cannon mounts like those found on Prowl. He instead has small, extendable blue nubs for his unique shoulder blasters. So far TakaTomy is 3 for 3 with the latest MPs!

scr2t_zps4c364729.jpg scr3t_zps2db54a48.jpg scr4t_zps95ef034c.jpg scr5t_zps56927d57.jpg scr1t_zps272f2d36.jpg

Guest davidwhangchoi

Predaking came in today:

photo4_zps8826a67c.jpgphoto3_zps9d6a4e79.jpg

I checked off as a gift so Amazon double boxed it and it was packed well. no damage.

photo2_zps4d63ca39.jpgphoto1_zps32437523.jpg

here he is next to my unopened prowl and streak. and my other stuff just lying there till next year.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i was finally able to get this guy sealed and new for a decent price.

photo14_zps523db8f9.jpgphoto21_zps7ea384c5.jpg

this was my first transformers giftset as a child. i was waiting months for christmas to get jetfire so badly. once i got to the toystore i saw this set(u.s. verison) next to jetfire and i fell in love with it so i never ended up with jetfire. i'm glad i did. though i missed jetfire, at least i the yamato's today to make for it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I love the painted art from G1 toys. Anyone know where you can get prints of those?

There's a book coming out showcasing the g1 box art.

thanks for the heads up. i really love the box art of the 1980's (like on this devastator) i would like one too. i think the art always got me excited. i

i opened devastator up and nothing is missing like guns or mixmaster's head (thankfully) so i'm just glad to get one. the factory labels are placed decently not perfect. i wish the tray was Styrofoam not a plastic one... although i read reviews it's not the exact color as the original, i'm just happy to have him again.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I just had a nerdgasm when I opened my FedEx delivery..

It's amazing how good that Rhinox looks, especially since it's just a Voyager.

That said, I'm thinking I'll probably pass on him, just like I did Dinobot. While I really enjoyed the Beast Wars show, there's something about robots that turn into what appear to be flesh and blood organic animals (as opposed to robot animals, like the G1 Predacons) that's always turned me off. That's really why I've never strayed far from CHUG.

I'm still planning on getting Waspinator, though. He and Black Arachnia somehow work in my head fanon.

Oh, BTW, it looks like your Rhinox still has some of those annoying clear ties on his chest, around the bottom of the rhino mouth.

What the hell is that thing?

I am getting a little MP buying fatigue to be honest. I skipped the MP-11 reissue. Skipped the YOTH prime. I cancelled my Soundblaster PO. I'm Just not feeling a repaint and paying $180-200 for a new tape. Thinking about canceling that G2 Lambor release too as I already have 3 variations of the mold. And the way they are pumping out numbers and all the KO's... it feels like a really expensive Universe/generations line now.

Looking forward to wheeljack at least. Never was a big fan of Ultra Magnus either but I'll get him.

The line needs more Decepticons. Also, while I get that it helps them recoup costs faster and make more profit by offering repaints of the same mold, they need to start offering more unique molds. I've never been one that feels the need to own multiple paint schemes of the same mold (VFs excepted of course -- this is a Macross site after all), so I'm generally happy to just buy the one paint scheme that I like best. Looking forward to see what they do with Wheeljack and Bumblebee, but I'd like see some more Decepticons that use different molds from what they've already released. MP Devastator and Insecticons would be a great start.

The line needs more Decepticons. Also, while I get that it helps them recoup costs faster and make more profit by offering repaints of the same mold, they need to start offering more unique molds. I've never been one that feels the need to own multiple paint schemes of the same mold (VFs excepted of course -- this is a Macross site after all), so I'm generally happy to just buy the one paint scheme that I like best. Looking forward to see what they do with Wheeljack and Bumblebee, but I'd like see some more Decepticons that use different molds from what they've already released. MP Devastator and Insecticons would be a great start.

yes mp insecticons would be awesome. need more early non seeker decepticons (as much as i love seekers we need the other guys!). i'd have a nerdgasm if reflector was planned too.

I wish they would release a MP-11 Skywarp.

I'm also hoping for a MP Galvatron now that Ultra Magnus and Rodimus Convoy got the MP treatment.

Talking about MP Ultra Magnus. Does anyone know if it will be a MP-10 with pieces you can attach to it? Similar to the G1 Ultra Magnus.

Yeah, I hear you. The Seekers don't do it for me either.

Repaints are one thing.. but repaints that get KO'd for half the price.. kills your enthusiasm.

if you're talking about the lambor mold KO's they weren't half the price...i think cheapest they could be had was $35 and thats a really good deal. retail price plus shpping of the mp car bots....$50 shipped from japan. KO's of modern stuff are annoying if you ever want to resell your things because people will be afraid of KO if they don't know what to look for.

I wish they would release a MP-11 Skywarp.

I'm also hoping for a MP Galvatron now that Ultra Magnus and Rodimus Convoy got the MP treatment.

Talking about MP Ultra Magnus. Does anyone know if it will be a MP-10 with pieces you can attach to it? Similar to the G1 Ultra Magnus.

MP Magnus will be MP-10 with armor added on. (so I'll likely pass on it)

MP-11 Skywarp-----I want MP-11 Thundercracker! (a real, G1-toy-esque version, with sapphire blue and silver and black, not medium blue and pearly grey and dark grey and tattoos)

Thundercracker's scheme looks so good when done correctly, and it's simple---but they keep trying to tweak it, when the original G1 was PERFECT. His accent colors are SILVER, and BLACK. Not gunmetal, not pearl grey, not dark grey, not charcoal, not graphite. SILVER, and BLACK.

MP Magnus will be MP-10 with armor added on. (so I'll likely pass on it)

MP-11 Skywarp-----I want MP-11 Thundercracker! (a real, G1-toy-esque version, with sapphire blue and silver and black, not medium blue and pearly grey and dark grey and tattoos)

Thundercracker's scheme looks so good when done correctly, and it's simple---but they keep trying to tweak it, when the original G1 was PERFECT. His accent colors are SILVER, and BLACK. Not gunmetal, not pearl grey, not dark grey, not charcoal, not graphite. SILVER, and BLACK.

Is there any reason why Magnus is not his own toy. I'm no Transformers geek in any way so can you tell me if he was that way in the show or the comics or only the G1 toy. If it is the latter I will stay far away from it. The one thing I can't stand is if someone starts reasoning with: "but that's how it was on the G1 toy" when they try to justify a design decision that seems really.. awkward. :D

If they want a toy that is as close to G1 as possible why not buy the G1 toy??? This is beyond me.

I hope for us both that Takara will release a Skywarp and Thundercracker with a nice paint job. ;)

Edited by Scyla

The comics have ret-conned Magnus to be "Prime with armor" because of the G1 toy. :p Up until a couple years ago when that issue came out, Magnus was always depicted as he was in the G1 toon----a robot bigger than Prime, that had an alt-mode where the cab looked a lot like Prime. Personally, I don't need a $100 MP figure "just to hold the head up". IMHO, the cab should be a very accurate truck, and should have almost no transformation---other than folding up a bit to fit inside the trailer-armor, and having the head inside.

'tis why I still hope this "designed to be Magnus and only Magnus" 3P figure still comes out, as t hat's basically what it is: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/keiths-fantasy-club-eavi-metal-ultra-magnus-178420/

It is Magnus, and only Magnus. There's not a $100 MP Prime figure inside that doesn't "do" anything. It's got a really nice truck mode because of that---because the cab is the cab, and nothing more. (except probably has Magnus' head inside)

Even though it wouldn't necessarily be faithful to G1, if you're going to make Magnus a robot who is bigger than Prime and also has a truck alt mode, it makes much more sense for him to have a Peterbilt truck alt-mode, and his have his bot mode vaguely resemble the movie Optimus Prime, except more boxy and G1-ish.

Staying away from the Ultra Magnus conversation I'd really love to see some of the '84 movie designs get the Masterpiece treatment; Kup, Springer, Arcee, Cyclonus, Galvatron, hell even Wreck Gar (sp).

Also still rooting for Ironhide and Ratchet along with Hound.

-b.

Staying away from the Ultra Magnus conversation I'd really love to see some of the '84 movie designs get the Masterpiece treatment; Kup, Springer, Arcee, Cyclonus, Galvatron, hell even Wreck Gar (sp).

Also still rooting for Ironhide and Ratchet along with Hound.

-b.

Arcee desperately needs an MP fig. The 3rd party ones just don't cut it with the funny-looking face sculpts.

Cyclonus and Galvatron are a given.

Unless MP Springer is significantly larger than the Generations one, the latter is good enough for me.

i'm with the magnus is white prime (or similar) robot with armor camp....which is more than a "couple years ago when that issue came out," Dreamwave has been closed for what....close to a decade? Wasn't it them that showed white prime inner robot first in fiction?

Also its odd that when magnus dies in headmasters....he doesn't turn grey like any other dead transformer...i think its because the exterior is just his armor.

Lastly (firstly), the G1 toy obviously. The toon never shows the inner robot but it certainly looks as if the trailer forms around the cab in certain transformations.

Anyway, i don't begrudge anyone from what their own interpretation of magnus is (i think both are valid)...titanium style transformation or G1/city commander style (which are different btw).

Edited by Mechapilot77

Wreck gar is the only one I really want. The others like Cup and Blur were pretty boring toys in the 80's... just wasn't feeling the futuristic hover car/truck designs. Didn't even like Hot Rod that much as a kid haha. I loved Wreck Gar though. Still have my original with all his chrome flaked off haha.

On the topic of Ultra Magnus, was there ever a canon explanation for why he was able to be violently and completely disassembled in TFTM (on the Junkion planet), and reassembled good-as-new without dying? Whereas Prime and others took seemingly much less damage, but were killed off. If there ever was an explanation, did it have to do with his exterior armor being a factor?

On the topic of Ultra Magnus, was there ever a canon explanation for why he was able to be violently and completely disassembled in TFTM (on the Junkion planet), and reassembled good-as-new without dying? Whereas Prime and others took seemingly much less damage, but were killed off. If there ever was an explanation, did it have to do with his exterior armor being a factor?

It was originally intended for Magnus to be drawn and quartered. Presumably, losing limbs is not as fatal to TFs as getting shot in the torso or disintegrated. Somewhere late in production, somebody important decided that UM being delimbed was too brutal for kids to see, so the tractor beams the Sweeps snared Magnus with became laser blasts. If you notice, they are not animated like typical laser blasts but, instead, are long, steady streams of light.

68.jpg

Backup link:

sweeps_zps248fc40a.jpg

Edited by RD Blade