The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Well BBTS was correct. It's now officially confirmed. MP Prowl on the way

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/takara-tomy-transformers-masterpiece-mp17-prowl-teaser/26734/

Or rather almost correct, it's Smokescreen not Sunstreaker that will come up after Prowl.

Edited by kanedaestes

Or rather almost correct, it's Smokescreen not Sunstreaker that will come up after Prowl.

MP-17 being Prowl followed by MP-18 being smokescreen is what they've been saying from the beginning, where are you getting MP Sunstreaker out of all this? :huh:

Edited by anime52k8

Why did Takara choose to expose Rumble/Frenzy shoulder ball joint when the pile driver is attached? :blink::huh:

They're removable, right? It looks like you should be able to just swap them left/right, and have the open part on the backside, rather than exposed. I think they just put them on backwards for the photo.

Thing is, neither one is blue. :D

He's as purple as Shockwave and Cyclonus. I mean yeah his shoulders are blue, but that's like saying Galvatron is orange...

yeah, but by that logic the other one is black, not read

Rumble_and_frenzy.jpg

See, where one is blue the other is red and where one is purple the other is black.

They're

removable, right? It looks like you should be able to just swap them

left/right, and have the open part on the backside, rather than exposed.

I think they just put them on backwards for the photo.

but then their elbows would bend the wrong way when they're not using the pile drivers.

Edited by anime52k8

I swear I read a while back elsewhere that Sunstreaker was also slated to be coming down the pike, but whatever.

Only fanboys who think that Takara would do a new mold for a minor character with no repaints possible thought/posted that Sunstreaker would be coming any time soon.

(that, and people who thought that Sideswipe could POSSIBLY work for Sunstreaker----no more than he works for Breakdown----Prime can't be Motormaster, despite similar alt-modes-----most of the G1 Countaches have VERY different robot modes)

Only fanboys who think that Takara would do a new mold for a minor character with no repaints possible thought/posted that Sunstreaker would be coming any time soon.

They could just dust off the police car and red variants from Diaclone just like they did with Sideswipe.

A shadow of MP-17 Prowl has surface, but they're not showing him with his shoulder missile launcher and the wheels behind his shoulder seems rather large, but we'll see what the final prototype will look like.

I was hoping it would look more like the box art from the G1 toy, but oh well. Even though Prowl was one of my favorite toys, I will have to see the MP17 in living color, before I place my preorder.

Strange, none of the Japanese website have the preorder up for any of the Masterpiece Datsun's brothers.

Well, David might like this news about TRU-Online finally putting MP-Thundercracker on clearance-sale....

at $79.99.

<_<

---add

oh, and almost forgot to mention that the local Wally's here got TFs again...

...all of which are Weaponizer Bumblebee's. :(

post-263-0-96584100-1361318561_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

Well, after a month of going to my local TRU, which isn't nearly as local since I moved, and not finding beans, I was at my local Target and I was pretty surprised to find a trio of Soundwaves and a single Soundblaster. OK... I already have Soundwave, and I'm not sure I want a Soundblaster just to get Buzzsaw. Today, my wife wants to go to Friday's, which is by the next Target over. Not expecting anything, I was shocked to find Beast Hunters Optimus, a trio of FoC Grimlocks, and a solitary Blaster. Much as I appreciate the new chest door and head, I wasn't sold on Blaster, but I did grab Optimus and Grimlock.

EDIT: Quick follow up. Wife wanted to go to Walmart in the evening, so I checked the Transformers situation there. One Blaster, three Grimlocks, one Beast Hunters Optimus, and two Predakings. I didn't buy any, but I'm thinking twice about Blaster...

Anyway, my thoughts... Optimus is kind of cool. I mean, he's a toy, and he's designed to be a toy. No movie-verse aesthetic, no semi-realistic truck mode. What you get is a poseable bot that's taller and all-around beefier than RiD Powerizer Optimus, with a bigger sword. Turning him into a truck is dead simple. His truck mode is cartoonish, with his wing panels covering what are clearly is arms resting on his legs. Even with his wings, his hands are still pretty visible. Like RiD Optimus, BH Optimus has a pretty big backpack. However, I'm pretty inclined to forgive it... I almost thought it was smaller than RiD's, but it's actually thicker. You just don't notice it as much because BH Optimus is thicker in general, and the backpack's got his wings. Also, his feet are huge, so he keeps his balance very well.

Visually, he's a mix of Cybertron/Galaxy Force Optimus and Prime Optimus, with shades of DotM Jetwing Prime for good measure. On thing I really dig is that, unlike so many other newer Transformers, he's mostly not hollow. He's got a little hollow area behind his chest, but his backpack covers it. On the whole, I'd say he's worth the $19.99 Target was asking.

As for Grimlock, he's a bit of a mixed bag. Because, as you've all likely seen from photos, yes, he's got this huge hollow space underneath in dino mode, which seems like it might have been avoidable if they'd just have engineered his shield to cover that area. And yeah, his legs do make for a very fat tail.

But before I judge him too harshly, let's compare him to other recent Grimlocks. I own Masterpiece Grimlock, but that seems like an unfair comparison. I have Animated Grimlock... Animated Grimlock also has a big hollow space on his dino-chest, Animated Grimlock has a comically shorter tail, and Animated Grimlock's dino legs made crappy bot arms. FoC Grimlock beats Animated. I also have Classics Grimlock. Classic Grimlock has a pretty good alt-mode, if you ignore the post for his weapon on his back, although his alt mode was a little sleeker and less stompy than I like for Grimlock. Unfortunately, his bot mode is awful, with huge dino feet haning off the backs of his arms, kibble all over his back, and half a dinosaur for legs. Meanwhile, his tail detaches and becomes... what, a whip? Some kind of weapon? Again, it's safe to say that FoC has Classics beat. His alt mode, super-thick tail and hollow underside not withstanding, doesn't look bad. He's got the thick, stompy dino feet, and while his tail is too thick it's about as long as the rest of him, so it's not actually too short. And he looks great in bot mode, with a burly chest and big shoulders, although he could use a few more paint apps (hands and thighs should be a darker gray that matches his head and feet, and his crotch should be more of a burgundy). He fits perfectly with my Classics, standing just about a head taller than Voyager Classics Optimus. While the hollow dino underbelly will turn off some of you, I still recommend him as the best non-MP Grimlock to come out in years.

Edited by mikeszekely

Mikeszekely, when I first saw pics of FOC Blaster I didn't think much of him either. However, seeing him on the shelf with that awesome head mold made me go nostalgic and I had to grab him though maybe the fact that he's short packed makes him more desirable in my mind as well.

Mikeszekely, when I first saw pics of FOC Blaster I didn't think much of him either. However, seeing him on the shelf with that awesome head mold made me go nostalgic and I had to grab him though maybe the fact that he's short packed makes him more desirable in my mind as well.

I think the thing that was holding me back was that his limbs, which have Soundwave's angular Decepticon look, didn't really seem to fit as Blaster. But I was sitting around thinking "this is probably the closest you're going to get to a Classics Blaster," so I stopped back at the Walmart and picked him up on my way to work.

I think it's a good decision, though. Better to end a series at the height of its popularity than to drag it along until it outstays its welcome. Things inevitably get stale after a while, so it's better to end it and start a new project.

Of course, there's no guarantee that a new show will be as well-received, but if they keep up with what they've been doing for TFP, then it should be interesting to see how it turns out.

As awesome as a 40cm DOTM Megatron is, I've no use for it if doesn't scale in with ROTF leader class OP.

The head sculpt looks over simplified, too.

EDIT: Just skipped to the last page, and it looks like he IS in scale with ROTF LC OP. Did they downscale him a bit since that first pic was taken? MP-10 Optimus stands only up to crotch height in that first pic.

Edited by GU-11

EDIT: Just skipped to the last page, and it looks like he IS in scale with ROTF LC OP. Did they downscale him a bit since that first pic was taken? MP-10 Optimus stands only up to crotch height in that first pic.

Nope, that's the an over sized KO leader Prime and an over sized KO leader iron hide in that picture.

cimg8242.jpg