DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Ok, I know exactly what caused my problems earlier. That double hinge on the backplate that lets you move the back closer to the head to attach to the hip mount plate? It would not budge. I seriously thought it wasnt supposed to move, until I found the little image of how it's supposed to fold over.

So, when I pulled that plate toward the back to lock it, it was too far away to reach the snap under the nose section. Works now, but I cannot believe how incredibly difficult this thing is to move the metal parts.

Where is this transformation video?

Know what's interesting, I went back rewatched some of the battle scenes from Frontier. The armored VF-25's looks great on the show but I really can't stand the way they look on the toys at all. On the other hand I don't feel like the 171 looks great in the show at all but this one I have sitting in front of me in Battroid looks totally awesome.

Edited by Mommar

Is anyone else having trouble placing the cockpit back from Battroid to fighter? All of the hinged parts near it kept popping off as I was trying to move it back in place and it was extremely hard to do so, but once I did four parts that had hinges were off. Fortunately, they are parts that are not visible unless in Battroid mode.

Yeah, wasn't easy for me to find on YouTube either.. I must need to tag things better or get more popular or something.

Well you have one new subsriber now. Thanks!

Just ordered mine from NY along with the armor pack.

If you ordered them together, be aware that they won't ship them until the armor packs come in this winter. I had to email them and request to split the order, which they did without a hassle, but they will ask you to pay the difference in shipping (came to about $12 for me I think). It was easy enough to do with Paypal for me, but I only needed to do that since I paid up front.

DAM YOU ALL >>>DAM YOU ALL TO HELLLLLL

If it wasnt for this thread I would still have $236 Canadian dollars in my bank! Strangely I feel satiated????

Just ordered mine from NY along with the armor pack.

Um how, The armor pack isnt due until Dec??? Do you live in the future?

Mental dialogue experience with 171:

"Man, turning my Vf-17 back to fighter made me want to chuck it against a wall

Yeah, :unsure: Dont do that. I did that once with my Yamato. It still didnt transform

just got mine sal-reg-shipped from amiami. appart form the usual minor paint annoyances, everything seems to be there. there was a yellow slip of paper this time around thanking me for my purchase but stating in bold letters that only the manufatuer is resonsible for product defects. amiami used to send missing/broken parts to me directly but i guess i'd better be really careful (and lucky) form now on.

Ok, before I forget, a couple of things I noticed transforming this thing that might be handy to be aware of.

First, obviously, the hips are going to take a lot of force to pivot 180 degrees. They are incredibly tight... but more so on the left leg than the right, which did not help my peace of mind at all, since the collapsing hip bar mechanism is made of two differently sized shafts that collapse into each other, one of which is smaller and has a detent in it to snap into place.. well, guess which hip has the smaller shaft. <_<

Second, the back plate.. another set of freakishly tight metal joints attach it to the shoulder bars that go around the head. I honestly thought they weren't meant to move when I first transformed this thing. I had to work these joints back and forth a few times very carefully (taking several minutes each time.. they were so freaking tight, I almost grabbed a pair of pliers to do it with). Honestly, you can transform the thing decently even if you don't do this particular step of the transformation, so if you can't get these to move, it might not be worth the frustration. The only consequence is that either the torso snap or backplate snaps won't connect, because the backplate is too far to reach.

Third, and this goes directly with the previous thing.. Be careful with the linkage holding down the chest plate and shoulder bars to the torso. Underneath the chest plate are two independent swing bars that hold it down, and the aforementioned shoulder-to-backplate connections are similarly independent hinges. If you are not careful, and do not rotate the hinges on both sides evenly, you will cause the entire framework to twist, and put nasty stresses on the connections. This is particularly bad with the backplate hinges, because in my case, the hinges were so stiff it was literally impossible to move them both at the same time, because they each took both of my freaking hands to move them.

Bandai needs to get it through it's thick head that these types of hinge structures are a bad thing. They've used them on every Frontier valk so far, and if you aren't careful, you can tweak the framework and wind up shattering the connections. I remember seeing several people reporting that their version 1 DX VF-25's had one or both of the main connections holding the backplate to the torso completely shatter. There's nothing keeping those hinges in line with each other, and if you move one more than the other, you twist the entire structure off kilter, the hinges won't be lined up, and the whole thing could snap in half if those hinges get stresed and fail.

Not to cause a panic here, but just be aware.. this problem did occur on older DX valks, and could happen again, since the mechanisms are similar. There's probably warnings in Japanese about how you should keep those multiple hinge joints lined up, but most of us can't read them. I haven't read of this happening on any of the VF-25 renewals, so maybe the materials were designed to be more flexible (the plastic is certainly higher quality). So just be careful.

Lastly, about the way the hip bars wobble if you don't snap them in.. I'm not sure if there's any guidance in the instructions about this, but the nose gear doors can definitely get in the way here. One of my hips didn't want to lock in, because the gear door was keeping it from snapping down. I don't know if there's a good way to prevent this, but you can definitely sit the gear doors on either side of the hip bars. No idea yet if one position causes more stress on the doors than the other.

just got mine sal-reg-shipped from amiami. appart form the usual minor paint annoyances, everything seems to be there. there was a yellow slip of paper this time around thanking me for my purchase but stating in bold letters that only the manufatuer is resonsible for product defects. amiami used to send missing/broken parts to me directly but i guess i'd better be really careful (and lucky) form now on.

Amiami will not help you with any broken/missing pieces. I am missing a piece on my 171 and they offered me 220 yen or ship it back at my expense for a refund.

For as important and prominent as those little shoulder flaps are, I'd probably just remove the other one too so it matches. :p

Though, these days, it's probably plenty easy to make yourself a replacement. Heck, for a piece like that, you could probably build out out of scrap from old model kits, because using something like Shapeways for it would be overkill.

For as important and prominent as those little shoulder flaps are, I'd probably just remove the other one too so it matches. :p

Though, these days, it's probably plenty easy to make yourself a replacement. Heck, for a piece like that, you could probably build out out of scrap from old model kits, because using something like Shapeways for it would be overkill.

I was lucky enough that another member will be sending me one of his. He said he didnt care much for them so he was kind enough to help me out like that. He said he was going to do the same thing you suggested to take out the other one.