DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Pic-sie squadron!

After fiddling around, I can say that they are very nice. I had a bit of a parts-fit issue with the left lower-leg armour at first, but it seems to be stable now that I changed the order in which I apply the parts onto the valk.

One of the wings is even looser than the original ones now. The pin wants to pop out all the time. It's a slight annoyance, but the set does come with extra pins just in case, so perhaps using the newer pins will fix it? I haven't tried.

The thigh armour does indeed pop off a lot, but I don't think it's as bad as the V1's. You will want to have them off during transformation, though.

That said, transformation into fighter mode with all the stuff on is much simpler than I was expecting (you cannot put the armour on AFTER transformation into fighter, though). The shoulder rotation and everything went just fine. The only issue I had was with the legs. I don't like the leg transformation to begin with, with all this rotation going on before you can properly extend the legs, there is only so much stress those plastic knee hinges are going to bear, and now you have the added wrap-around leg armour to fit under the backplate. I only managed to do one leg properly and the other one did not want to rotate into the lateral position, nor would I force it. So I took off the armour, rotated the leg and slid the armour back into the space between the leg and backplate. I hope I don't have to do that every time.

Great set, slightly pricey considering the only gimmick is the working landing gear, but really makes the VF-171 a chunkier, meaner-looking machine.

I agree, my set just showed up today. My left leg armor doesn't like to stay attached either. The mid-shin booster doesn't seem to be shaped quite right like the right leg shin booster is. Rotating those legs into place with the extra bulk is scary. I used the new pins and the right wing doesn't like to stay in as well as the old wing with the old pin. I think it's an issue with how that wing is molded.

I'm personally not concerned with "gimmicks" as the gimmick to me is that the 171 is armored and looks loaded for bare.

I finally got my set today as well. Just like Renato said, there seems to be a fit issue with the left leg armor. I managed to get the left leg armor to fit after a bit of fiddling. If you have an issue getting the armor to fit, try what I did. Try putting each leg piece on the leg individually to loosen up the peg holes before you try putting the whole leg armor assembly on. The thigh armor is a little loose but not as bad as the vf 25 super pack thigh armor. My new wing pins weren't loose. Everything else fits well.

Edited by mass driver

Damn, snapped the head off one of the small pegs holding the wings on when trying to remove the left wing :(

Luckily was able to glue it back on.

The armour looks great. For those that were wondering, the thigh armour is secure in figher mode, it's only in battroid mode that it falls off easly.

Graham

Well, better in the sense that you don't risk screwing up the wings, yes, but I'm already planning some surgery to permanently attach those wings anyway, so I might try it anyway. Making stuff that the yamato missiles can attach to will take some work, but definitely an option.

This armor pack is badass. I didnt bother with the missiles since my wings dont fall off and i dont wanna mess that up... I did have a bitch of a time fitting the left leg. The bottom lower part that plugs into the shin booster likes to pop out if i put any kind of pressure on the outer panel.

DEFCF8AB-1EC5-4FFB-9D9C-122A83B31808-9419-0000041D859A6C1F.jpg

LOL, Just a quick pointer in case some don't know. Before you enter the thread, the is a little vernier truster button on the left of the thread title that will take you to the newest post since you last read the thread, so you don't get lost in the conversation. Helps me out alot ;)

*Edit*

Sometimes it is a triangle too, not sure what that means.....

Edited by Loop

Sweet Custom color scheme! What color did you use to replace the red?

Thanks! I used the Tamiya AS-7 Neutral Gray. Quite a PITA because the paint rubbed off in many places during the transformation (even with a clear coating) so had to re-paint it again :wacko:

Anyone managed to get a unit from anime-export? I ordered and paid for it a few months back but today I find out that the item is no longer in stock. Very disappointed with their service.

If you reserved a copy with AE at a time when the item was open for preorder, and since they charge up-front, you should be getting a shipping payment request next week if you've made a shipping request, as they may be closed until Monday just like HLJ. If I were you I would log on to your account and check your order to see if it's listed. However, to be sure, you should send them an email to get a status update on your item.

If you reserved a copy with AE at a time when the item was open for preorder, and since they charge up-front, you should be getting a shipping payment request next week if you've made a shipping request, as they may be closed until Monday just like HLJ. If I were you I would log on to your account and check your order to see if it's listed. However, to be sure, you should send them an email to get a status update on your item.

They're back to work today and when I logged in, I saw this under 'Notes'. Anyone else got the same thing?

We are checking availability for this item. When restocked we will notify you by email. If unavailable we will refund you in full.

Edited by neoexcaliber