Why do they wait so long to release a Macross Series?

leading edge

I know there are various creative differences but seriously Macross has easily a large following as other mecha series and has the interest to keep new viewers watching so why isn't there more like side stories or manga it all seems like Kawamori has a little too much control over his work. many peopl find this topic a little vague but really it isn't that unfair I mean 30 years there should be something interesting they can talk about i mean Macross zero shed some light on the UN spacy it woul have been nice to see what was happening. The world of Macross seems likean ideal society there is poverty and problems but technology and spirit seem to come thru that to me is a very positive message. The world to me is very vague as well in the first series there seemed to be a sense o sttucture but with all he time skips the society and impression of it always seemed to vary. We see other countries devastated by war and come back stronger usually by some unifying belief that things will get better by pulling together and buildingfor tomorrow. I however think that the Macross universe and some of the elements need more more writer and more information about how people live in order to explain their dreams hopes and sense of past events. All I'm really saying is there is fertile ground to cover some really interesting stories with a new generation of writers and after 30yrs and a new millnium and new year I think we can swing that.

Well, I'd rather take a little longer and have an excellent quality. Do something quick and have a quality nut.

Of course, sometimes the wait has its downsides, as seen in Macross7.

But the result of Macross7 Dynamite, exceeded the whole series and his movie,and shorts out the 3 filler episodes... Anyway :p

I hope they can do something like Macross The Ride. Where we have a vision of how the staff of colonizing fleets have fun.

Edited by Old_Nash

Exactly I'm not saying get terrrible stuff just get some new heads out there making waves try something with a series and add something to it that can enrich it. Take for example macross 2012 They could do story where they seach for the megaroad and see what really happened to it I mean we are left with a vague idea behind an entire colony disappearing. That right there could be a good story.

If they are doing something about Megaroad.

That was without having anything to do with NUN.

So she had cut off communications, and how they saw only developedaself-governing and independent. Since they could not count onthe former UN.

Then they would have to defend both old, like renegade Zentraedi, and news foe(whic his created for the new franchise XD).

Edited by Old_Nash

what if Megaroad or its decendants return to earth as a foe?

personally its not gonna happen because the idea that they 'disappeared' the orginal cast belies their anger towards HG's control of the IP, so catty an act. Kinda hard to backpedal on the subject now, considering the japanesse nature & conduct.

But i think the idea of Evil-Hikaru, Evil Space Leather&spikes Misa, Dom Minmei could be awesome. It would piggy back on MF that not only are there alien & zentradi threats to human advancement, but threats from supposed allies too.

what if Megaroad or its decendants return to earth as a foe?

personally its not gonna happen because the idea that they 'disappeared' the orginal cast belies their anger towards HG's control of the IP, so catty an act. Kinda hard to backpedal on the subject now, considering the japanesse nature & conduct.

But i think the idea of Evil-Hikaru, Evil Space Leather&spikes Misa, Dom Minmei could be awesome. It would piggy back on MF that not only are there alien & zentradi threats to human advancement, but threats from supposed allies too.

Heh... funny you should mention it, as the official setting indicates that there are CLONES of all the key crew members of the SDF-1 and other survivors. There's bound to have been some that did get twisted around in some way.

That said, Macross sequels have always been about new people in new adventures with unique themes. So I highly doubt we'll be getting the evil twins of characters we've seen so far.

And personally, I like the fact that Macross doesn't come out with something new every other month or year like say...Gundam. It's nice to know I can give my wallet has a chance to recover from this hobby compared that long list of Gunpla models I have yet to build or buy.

And personally, I like the fact that Macross doesn't come out with something new every other month or year like say...Gundam. It's nice to know I can give my wallet has a chance to recover from this hobby compared that long list of Gunpla models I have yet to build or buy.

I dunno, man...a COMPLETE Hasegawa or Yamato collection is gonna cost you a ton... Me, I'm worried about the new Macross Chronicle, since I'm already behind on Gundam Perfect File and the (also weekly) Tale of Genji magazine... :unsure:

Gundam fans will forgive me.

But Ialways found it very repetitive.

It is mostly the same thing, the human in space settlements versus human on Earth.

Since not even have an alien threat or something like that.

Not unworthy the franchise as old as me (I was born in 1978).

But it could vary a little.

Edited by Old_Nash

I've seen a lot of Western fans ask for series and side stories that flesh out the background of the Macross universe, but what they don't realize is that a lot of the Japanese sourcebooks and drama CD's have already done this. Kawamori probably feels that it's better to use pricey new animation to cover new ground rather than go back and reinvent the wheel.

The sole exception to this was Macross Zero. But according to Yamato's research, Zero's not too popular with Macross fans, so I wouldn't count on something like this ever being repeated.

The sole exception to this was Macross Zero. But according to Yamato's research, Zero's not too popular with Macross fans, so I wouldn't count on something like this ever being repeated.

Macross Zero was very good.

The best of his era.

But wanted to put mysticism when the theme was technology.

I believe that it was not very pleased for the fans.

Worse is to see Roy getting on bad in the end ...

I remembered the Otacon in MGS.

Edited by Old_Nash

Zero was more a sidestory than a prequel. It's not quite the same thing.

Seemed like Hasegawa was making a killing on those kits even if Yamato had hiccups with their toys.

And why all the disdain on a website dedicated to a show made by Gundam fans :3

...Me, I'm worried about the new Macross Chronicle,...

Yeah....I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna work that in. It would have been nice if they just started with #51 and just reprinted the original Chronicle set instead of reorganizing new and old material it into a new volume.....

Gundam fans will forgive me.

But Ialways found it very repetitive.

It is mostly the same thing, the human in space settlements versus human on Earth.

Since not even have an alien threat or something like that.

You haven't seen the Gundam 00 movie yet, have you? There actually is an alien threat in that one.

That sounds stupid like the Clans in Battletech.

ok. Opinions and Rectums...

its not quite are stupid as you think.You just gotta have faith in anime magic... or maybe Disney magic... derp.

as for my idea on 'evil clones'... it's a subject they havent done yet at least. It boils down to merchandicing really, like every other show they made...

Visual side stories from Macross manga I like. Not so much with the drama CD. It has more to do than just my limited knowledge of Japanese. Drama CDs remind me too much of the days of Radio.

LOL what's the matter? dont care to use your IMAGINATION? (Only the Shadow knows! Duh duh duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!) :lol:

(i only know this because my grandmother used to listen to 'The Shadow Radio Shows' LP's from the Library waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the late 1970's, when i was a weeeee pup)

Edited by TehPW

Leadingedge you are making quite a few assumptions there. Does Macross have it's fans? Yes. Has it seen a surge in popularity since Frontier? Defiantly. Is it a mainstream mecha series with even 5% the mindshare of Gundam? Unfortunately NO. Macross is still a very niche property, especially the non-Frontier iterations. Quite frankly, there's not enough of a canvass to support more animation. (I actually think that the unanticipated success of Frontier has actually put Kawamori in somewhat of a bind as to what to do for the next animated installment because newer fans want more of the same).

Then there's the issue of Kawamori, who has said on multiple occasions that he doesn't like rehashing the same thing and doesn't want to revisit old characters. His main goal is to do something new with each iteration. And I think this affects all potential media- whether it be anime or manga or novels and radio dramas.

The long and short of it is that Macross probably seems more popular to you than it actually due to the voices on the Internet always being the loudest.

Gubaba- you are actually buying the Gundam Fact Files?!?!? I bought the first run- took 3 damn years!

I don't think HG had anything whatsoever to do with what creative decisions are taken within Japan.

I think the Macross franchise releases new series in a decent amount of time. With Gundam, they release series more often because many of the spinoffs aren't canon. Because of that, casual Gundam fans can just jump into the series of their choosing, and run with it. If you look at the frequency of the U.C. storyline, it's spread out a bit more. I wouldn't be surprised if after Gundam the Origin comes out, if we don't see a Macross: The Origin, or Macross the First animated series. I think the success of Gundam the Origin will bring the viability of a new Macross origin series.

That said, if they did Macross series every 5 years, I think they'd be in a great swing of things. There is a lot to plan for series, and as long as the quality is there, if it takes longer, I'm OK with that. Just as long as it doesn't take 20+ years like another similar franchise.

Edited by Jasonc

How would one react to say an alternate universe series of Macross? One that is not necessarily connected to the universe Kawamori created?

I realize the immediate reaction would "dear god NO!" but the fact is Gundam has lived on through the years thanks to series like Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Seed, 00, and Age. The old guard UC-era fans (like me) tend have a rather negative view on those series but the fact is they were successful and they seemed to consistently create a new generation of fans. And the money and popularity they generated seemed to allow the UC-era stuff to live on as well.

I think what keeps Macross in the niche segment is that it never stays in the market at a continuous pace. But what if Big West allowed non-Kawamori created Macross series to be created? The more a franchise is out there on the market the more the liklihood for money to come in and products to be made.

Edited by Vifam7

With Gundam, they release series more often because many of the spinoffs aren't canon.

Oh, they're canon alright. Canon to their own timelines. The UC timeline may be the main one but by no means is it the ONLY one.

honestly I really don't know about that I guess if it was good not tooo long or short it would be ok but I fear the inevitable mess that comes from over franchising. I really just want a new perspective on the series I just read the new Jonny Ridden Manga MSVR and kinda wish someone would approach Macross with a new set of eyes. Really instead of Kawamori's vision I'd like to see maybe a guy like Hideki Anno take it on or maybe Shinichiru Watanabe again. What I would really like is some good manga no offense to Frontier fands but the manga could look better it works but by no means is it a work of love. Manga and fandom like us here at Macross world care about hwat is put out and well if it isn't good I'll go along with that philosophy, but with the story and the ideas already present it shouldn't be an issue. This story is gold we just need to refine it and make it presentable in a new way.

How would one react to say an alternate universe series of Macross? One that is not necessarily connected to the universe Kawamori created?

I realize the immediate reaction would "dear god NO!" but the fact is Gundam has lived on through the years thanks to series like Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Seed, 00, and Age. The old guard UC-era fans (like me) tend have a rather negative view on those series but the fact is they were successful and they seemed to consistently create a new generation of fans. And the money and popularity they generated seemed to allow the UC-era stuff to live on as well.

I think what keeps Macross in the niche segment is that it never stays in the market at a continuous pace. But what if Big West allowed non-Kawamori created Macross series to be created? The more a franchise is out there on the market the more the liklihood for money to come in and products to be made....

As much as I hate to admit it, it will probably come to this at some point. Kawamori ain't getting any younger. But at the same time, he's pushed Macross beyond the realm of a "human conflict" that Gundam is. You can rehash to concepts (love triangle, singers, etc.), but expanding it beyond Zentradi, Protodeviln, Vajra, or even Protoculture may be a challenge. Won't be impossible, just difficult considering where Kawamori has taken it.