Yay!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

As far as I know, you have bought the BD at Shinjuku Piccadilly on the first day of the screening. You were on the line from 7 am...

You got the other one yesterday?

I can not wait for this series to come stateside...

I'm hoping for that too, but I think someone here said it wasn't likely to happen...

I'm hoping for that too, but I think someone here said it wasn't likely to happen...

Actually, distribution in foreign markets under the title of STARBLAZERS 2199 has already been announced. No other details have yet to be revealed however.

Actually, distribution in foreign markets under the title of STARBLAZERS 2199 has already been announced. No other details have yet to be revealed however.

And that single announcement totally justifies the import!

GOOD. I would love to be wrong about the matter.

Time to get pumped for Chapter 6! Only 2 weeks to go!

Christ man, that's the most intense preview yet.

ZOMG drill missile rape!

Lol. I remember in the original when the drill missile appeared in front of the Yamato, they panned over and zoomed in on Yuki who was on her knees and just flabbergasted by the appearance of the drill missile-gotta love the phalic stuff...

Made this little summary shot of Episode 15. IT WAS A BRILLIANT EPISODE.......

600562_10201221525570097_1601614580_n.jp I especially loved the look on the face of Lysus as the ships collided. Very cool!!

Edited by taksraven

At this point, Star Blazers has insignificant name recognition. There's absolutely no reason to keep the name active.

Can't wait to get home and watch vol 5.

Edited by Keith

One opinion from the Japanese fans. (not mine)

"Yamato is the enemy battleship's name in WW II."

I don't know if it is true or not.

Imo, the name "大和" itself also means "Japan" (日本). So it's difficult to handle with the term, may be.

Edited by antibiotictab

Much like Germany's DKM Bismarck and DKM Tirpitz were for the British Navy during WWII, IJN Yamato and IJN Musashi were "must sink" targets for the American Navy, no effort was spared and in the end, much like the aforementioned Kriegsmarine ships, both were sunk. Regardless of the name's interchangeability with "Japan", when Space Battleship Yamato was dubbed into English and other Western languages, the name of the ship was changed to Argo, although Cpt. Avatar (Okita) does mention that the ship was originally the Yamato Dreadnaught before the rechristening, and the show's name changed to Star Blazers (Star Patrol -- Patrulha Estrelar -- in Portuguese... which sounds far dumber than the English moniker) in order to be more palatable to an American audience from the late 1970s, because, even ~ 30 years removed from the war, there was still a significant amount of negative connotation to anything "Japanese".

Today, however, I don't see any "real" reason why 2199 couldn't be sold to US audiences with its original show and character names: most, if not all, of the war baggage is gone; heck, most 20 something and younger people don't even know who the opposing forces were, what roles they played, how they were allied, etc... a very sad statement to be sure, but it makes the rebranding unnecessary. The only reason to rename the new show to Star Blazers 2199, and by extension reusing all the old English names, is to give it a sense of brand continuity with the old show... more a property rights issue than anything else.

Personally, I don't care either way. It's a foregone conclusion that the DVDs and BDs will include both original and dubbed tracks; so other than some possible changes in media case graphics and the show's name, the video content should be the same as the Japanese original, and at a much better price point. However, if any editing for content is performed, as was done with the old show, then we have a problem.

Edited by mechaninac

Now, here's something that I completely missed: Mega House is reissuing the 1/8 Yamato Girls Collection PVC Yuki Mori yellow jumpsuit version figure for an August release; preorders went up and sold out everywhere already... :(

Getting this figure at retail or less is like trying to get a Bandai Macross Frontier DX at MSRP... crazy!