What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I love the manga for these two. Very excited in watching the anime version.

We have heard what happened about Watamote in 4Chan. :D

I think thanks to the fans outside of Japan who bought the comic books, the anime has come to be made. Thanks! :lol:

I'm thinking of checking out those 2 as well if Crunchyroll has them on their roster. Both look pretty fun. I'm also gonna catch Monogatari 2nd season which will be streamed by Daisuki/Aniplex.

More Monogatari can't hurt for sure. I'll probably catch the new Kyoani show and the new noitamina, Gin no Saji, as well. Plus I have a lot of episodes of Yamato2199 to catch up on, the second disk has been stuck in customs for ages.

I just finished Soul Eater after marathoning it for the past couple of days. Oh boy what to say with this. On one hand the art style was very well done, it had good fight scenes with neat monsters and an epic final battle, a great ending, while not at first I did enjoy the earlier opening and ending themes, and there were some good characters of the heroic, villainous, and ambiguous spectrums. On the other hand what characters were not good reeeeeeeeeally brought it down. While there were other minor problems like hit or miss jokes, the later themes being not that good, Arachniphobia not being as well executed as it could have been, slow pacing, and the lack of keshin eggs promised in the beginning, the characters that were not good just plain hurt it. Blair? Useless as hell. Liz and Patty? Annoying as hell. Oxford? Uninteresting as hell. Coffee carpenter guy and eye patch? Unfunny as hell. Black Star? Obnoxious as hell. Free? Stupid as hell. The mouse witch? Pointless as hell. Ebron? Wasted as hell (and I mean that in terms of potential). Angela? Bratty as hell. Tsubaki?

Blandest character in any anime I have ever seen and yes I am counting a ton of OVA and movie trash when I say that (after episode 10 or so nothing happens to her at all). Apologies to Sheryl Nome, you have been dethroned. VERY HARD.

Death The Kid is the only characters that are neither very good or very bad, he might have made a solid character if his symmetry obsession would just STOP at some point. With that all said the series was very well done overall.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

I just finished Soul Eater after marathoning it for the past couple of days. Oh boy what to say with this. On one hand the art style was very well done, it had good fight scenes with neat monsters and an epic final battle, a great ending, while not at first I did enjoy the earlier opening and ending themes, and there were some good characters of the heroic, villainous, and ambiguous spectrums. On the other hand what characters were not good reeeeeeeeeally brought it down. While there were other minor problems like hit or miss jokes, the later themes being not that good, Arachniphobia not being as well executed as it could have been, slow pacing, and the lack of keshin eggs promised in the beginning, the characters that were not good just plain hurt it. Blair? Useless as hell. Liz and Patty? Annoying as hell. Oxford? Uninteresting as hell. Coffee carpenter guy and eye patch? Unfunny as hell. Black Star? Obnoxious as hell. Free? Stupid as hell. The mouse which? Pointless as hell. Ebron? Wasted as hell (and I mean that in terms of potential). Angela? Bratty as hell. Tsubaki?

Blandest character in any anime I have ever seen and yes I am counting a ton of OVA and movie trash when I say that (after episode 10 or so nothing happens to her at all). Apologies to Sheryl Nome, you have been dethroned. VERY HARD.

Death The Kid is the only characters that are neither very good or very bad, he might have made a solid character if his symmetry obsession would just STOP at some point. With that all said the series was very well done overall.

post-13007-0-53237300-1372566067_thumb.jpg

Well said, my friend.... Well said.

The latest Attack on Titan episode was pretty boss and delivered action with some pretty impressive soundtrack to back it up. I hope that for the second half of the series they improve the pacing of the series.

If Sheryl Nome is a bland character then I'm Elvis Presley's lovechild and heir to the Gates fortune. This is all.

oh, so there's going to be an Oreimo 2 OVA. i wanted to cry tears of frustration because that season ender felt disjointed from the buildup of the past few episodes. on its own, it was a good episode, but halfway through i was really getting concerned how they were going to resolve the series. i initially feared an open ending, but this was worse, it felt like it completely ignored that fact that it was a last episode and that there were stuff it was supposed to be resolving, or at least acknowledging. but with an OVA coming it now makes sense, but still, couldn't they have done at least a partial closure rather than full-on backstory?

Attack on Titan though almost made me cry man-tears. really great musical score.

The 3 ep OVA was announced over a month ago, plus, they handled the first season the same way. With that in mind, I like that they took the time to fill in all of the backstory that they did. Especially Kirino's beef with Manami. Still need to watch the new ep of Titan, I've been busy with the Gurren Lagann BD set.

Edited by Keith

well, i've been living under a rock, at least with respect to Oreimo. so the OVA is news to me.

the first season ended with a complete story, even without the OVA. even if i knew S2 was going to get an OVA, i guess i would've also expected at least something similar.

loved the S1 OVA, so really looking forward to the next one.

and.... typical me being slow on the news, when was the GL BD released? gotta score myself a set.

well, i've been living under a rock, at least with respect to Oreimo. so the OVA is news to me.

the first season ended with a complete story, even without the OVA. even if i knew S2 was going to get an OVA, i guess i would've also expected at least something similar.

loved the S1 OVA, so really looking forward to the next one.

and.... typical me being slow on the news, when was the GL BD released? gotta score myself a set.

Gurren Lagann just came out on Thursday in an epic 15 disc LE set with absolutely EVERYTHING.

-The complete series + the broadcast version of episode 2. All using yhe Bandai Ent subs (and dub, if you go that way).

- Both movies, also subtitled.

- The DS game episode 5.5.

- Parallel Works 1 & 2.

- The Yoko Kirameki "Pieces of Sweet S.t.a.r.S."

- The Yoko goes to Gainax live action shorts, and lots of theatrical release press events.

- 2 or 3 drama CD's. And another CD with the Yoko single, B-side, and a couple of the Parall works exclusive songs.

- 2 bigass books with various artwork and whatnot.

All of this comes in a huge vinyl LP sized box.

Edited by Keith

Gurren Lagann just came out on Thursday in an epic 15 disc LE set with absolutely EVERYTHING.

-The complete series + the broadcast version of episode 2. All using yhe Bandai Ent subs (and dub, if you go that way).

- Both movies, also subtitled.

- The DS game episode 5.5.

- Parallel Works 1 & 2.

- The Yoko Kirameki "Pieces of Sweet S.t.a.r.S."

- The Yoko goes to Gainax live action shorts, and lots of theatrical release press events.

- 2 or 3 drama CD's. And another CD with the Yoko single, B-side, and a couple of the Parall works exclusive songs.

- 2 bigass books with various artwork and whatnot.

All of this comes in a huge vinyl LP sized box.

and how much was it?

After knowing about it for almost 30 year, I've finally got around to watching Space Pirate Captain Harlock. Better late than never, I say!

And just in time for the upcoming movie. Have you seen that trailer? I've read that the producers are gunning for an international release for that one (sounds optimistic to me but who knows?!).

The final (pre-OVA) ep of Oreimo 2 was 100% delicious backstory and motivation. Now all makes sense, and it's gonna be a long 2 month wait for those final 3 episodes.

We do get some good backstory and an idea of how things have developed to the way they are now.

And there seems to be a side to Manami we haven't really noticed before. I wonder if she's the final boss for Kirino

and how much was it?

LoL! But all of that costs less than a limited edition Yamato VF-4G at the current US auction price. The GL Blu-ray set is tempting, indeed... To quote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, "But choose wisely, for while the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you."

Edited by technoblue

After knowing about it for almost 30 year, I've finally got around to watching Space Pirate Captain Harlock. Better late than never, I say!

me and my sister just started that series the other day, actually. maybe 15eps in by now?

pissin' me off that HARLOCK keeps refusing to take that sweet little bobble-headed girl with him,

insisting on leaving her in decidedly abusive foster care instead... :angry:

me and my sister just started that series the other day, actually. maybe 15eps in by now?

pissin' me off that HARLOCK keeps refusing to take that sweet little bobble-headed girl with him,

insisting on leaving her in decidedly abusive foster care instead... :angry:

I'm about that far into it, myself.

I did some reading ahead, but apparently,

there's a reason why Harlock doesn't take Mayu with him.

LoL! But all of that costs less than a limited edition Yamato VF-4G at the current US auction price. The GL Blu-ray set is tempting, indeed... To quote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, "But choose wisely, for while the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you."

I couldn't afford a VF-4G when it came out at it's retail price let alone it's stupid inflated scalper price.

I couldn't afford a VF-4G when it came out at it's retail price let alone it's stupid inflated scalper price.

Fair enough. I couldn't afford that Valk either at retail, by the way, and I agree about the price gouging. I know it is off topic in this forum, but I'm still trying to figure out where to start with Bandai Valkyries (yeah, I'm slow). I wanted to buy a few before Arcadia stuff went on preorder. I guess that window is a little smaller now. ^_^

As for Gurren Lagann, I still own the DVDs; however, I am REALLY into vinyl and retro packaging. It looks like the Japanese and US releases have the same box set:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANZX-6161

http://www.aniplexusa.com/gurrenlagannbd/

If this does well, my hope is that Aniplex will also bring Cowboy Bebop over in a similar fashion. The Blu-ray release is already out in Japan. I'm not sure what is required on the licensing side for that box set to appear here with the English subtitles, but I would definitely buy it. I could use a nice HD Bebop release. I missed out on the Perfect Sessions DVDs.

Edited by technoblue

Watched "Asobi ni iku yo", or its Funimation adaptation, "Cat Planet Cuties."

Interesting concept of a show with medium levels of fan-service. I don't really like fan-service, but the show made up for it with pretty good humor. There were tons of references to old science fiction shows and movies... and some anime shows, too. While a couple of the episodes did nothing to advance the storyline, the short series did end with most loose ends tied up and even had a cool ending with the Catians giving something that the humans would find very useful!

I wouldn't aggressively recommend this show, but it's worth a watch, since it's only 12 episodes. The OVA episode was also pretty funny, but the fanservice went full-scale. That means this show has a little bit of everything for all types of watchers. Aside from the fanservice and a couple of go-nowhere episodes, I don't really have any complaints.

We'll just say the GL set was less than $500 with Amazon JP pre-order discounts. The U.S. release is 100% an import of the Japanese release., though I hear it comes with a booklet to translate one of tbe production books.

Edited by Keith

Fair enough. I couldn't afford that Valk either at retail, by the way, and I agree about the price gouging. I know it is off topic in this forum, but I'm still trying to figure out where to start with Bandai Valkyries (yeah, I'm slow). I wanted to buy a few before Arcadia stuff went on preorder. I guess that window is a little smaller now. ^_^

As for Gurren Lagann, I still own the DVDs; however, I am REALLY into vinyl and retro packaging. It looks like the Japanese and US releases have the same box set:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANZX-6161

http://www.aniplexusa.com/gurrenlagannbd/

If this does well, my hope is that Aniplex will also bring Cowboy Bebop over in a similar fashion. The Blu-ray release is already out in Japan. I'm not sure what is required on the licensing side for that box set to appear here with the English subtitles, but I would definitely buy it. I could use a nice HD Bebop release. I missed out on the Perfect Sessions DVDs.

I'm sure Bebop will get a US BD release at one point. CB was really popular with it being on Adult Swim and all, and it think it's one of the few older series that can almost be guaranteed to sell well amongst fans.

The BD is getting a European/UK release at the end of july (and for less than 60 US dollars too) so I suppose an American release is not that far away. The license is probably a lot more expensive and since it's the same BD region as Japan, I guess they're afraid of reverse imports so that might be an obstacle.

It was recently announced that Bebop was already being shopped around for a U.S. Bluray release. I'd be surprised if we didn't have an official announcement at AX or Otacon.

I just finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam: Unicorn Episode 6 and I can't find an episode 7. Did it get cancelled? Did I miss something and that was it?

It was recently announced that Bebop was already being shopped around for a U.S. Bluray release. I'd be surprised if we didn't have an official announcement at AX or Otacon.

I will be very happy if that is the case.

Started watching Excel Saga.

Confusing..yes. Funny....yes. The show does not make an ounce of sense, but you can't help but to continue watching it. Excel and Hyatt are a good team.

Just finished "Angel Beats!"

Man, this was a good one. The story was difficult for me to follow at the beginning of the series, but once everything settled down and the main story arc got into motion, it was fun to watch. Each character had a different personality, which goes to show that the author put a lot of thought into each one. There were several touching moments in the series and the ending was one of the best I'd seen from an anime show.

I've complained over and over that anime endings always seem rushed and leave too many loose ends tied up; I'm always wanting the story to continue because I felt there were important things left unresolved. I guess this is usually by design so that the author may continue his or her story if he or she so chooses. "Angel Beats!" was anything but this. The author carefully brought the story to a close and I can really appreciate that.

I'll definitely recommend this to people when the subject of good anime comes up. ^_^

That's great news! Thanks!

I will be very happy if that is the case.

Ditto.

Yesterday, I caught up to the latest episode of Attack on Titan. Given the genre, I was suprised by the amount of exposition for the first half of the series. I think others have said that the talking and the still scenes have given this half of the anime a slower pace. Again, since I haven't read the manga, I do not have much to compare it too. I was expecting more action, though.

The scenes with Titan Eren and all of the recon corps soldiers battling to seal the breached wall reminded me of Bleach with its pacing at the end (not necessarily a bad thing, just drawn out). I also want to add my voice to those bummed with the recycled animation for each episiode introduction. What is this, the 1980s?

Anyway, the show did end on a good transition and I'm looking forward to the second half.

Edited by technoblue

According to MyAnimeList, "Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000%" sold 54,460 copies of its BDs/ DVDs in one week.

Wow... the Utapri season 2 became a very strong rival of Attack on Titan...

I watched all the episodes of the season 1 and 10 of the season 2. TBH, I like the season 1 more. Sometimes so funny but sometimes serious, and it's so amusing. It's not for female fans only.

I've just finished the ep. 1 of "Tamayura More Aggressive" on TV.

I thought the opening theme of it, Maaya Sakamoto's new song was composed by Yumi Mattouya, but it's not. It is Taeko Ohnuki's song. And the ending theme is sung by Megumi Nakajima.

The heartwarming stories come back.