What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I was expecting a little more, but I guess that is too much to ask for.

I wanted MD Geist to have a plot, good characterization, or good action. It had none of these. Why did you like it, again (apart from the sex scene, of course... in which no sex was actually had, since Geist himself just tossed the girl aside)...?

Edited by Gubaba

Why did you like it, again

Because it shut the hell up and did what it intended to do, in this case being entertainment. Contrary to popular belief I do not always expect everything to be entertaining, just what you are trying to accomplish (having a message, commentary, fun, artsy, etc) and how well you try to do it to that target audience. I try putting myself in the position of said audience with said mindset whenever possible and judge it based on the merits of itself and similar peers, not something as silly as a specific structure or awards. Why I like something like MD Geist is because it knows it's target audience and delivers, giving action fans action. If you want character development then guess what, thousands of other stories with THAT are out there for THAT audience, go watch one of those, do not act like story police and saying something like that is required or cannot be allowed just because of silly traditions or whatever. That is why media is so diverse, because not everyone will enjoy everything. You guys read stuff about me liking stuff like this because that is what I normally watch, but it is not the only thing I watch nor is it all I enjoy.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Because it shut the hell up and did what it intended to do, in this case being entertainment. Contrary to popular belief I do not always expect everything to be entertaining, just what you are trying to accomplish (having a message, commentary, fun, artsy, etc) and how well you try to do it to that target audience. I try putting myself in the position of said audience with said mindset whenever possible and judge it based on the merits of itself and similar peers, not something as silly as a specific structure or awards. Why I like something like MD Geist is because it knows it's target audience and delivers, giving action fans action. If you want character development then guess what, thousands of other stories with THAT are out there for THAT audience, go watch one of those, do not act like story police and saying something like that is required or cannot be allowed just because of silly traditions or whatever. That is why media is so diverse, because not everyone will enjoy everything. You guys read stuff about me liking stuff like this because that is what I normally watch, but it is not the only thing I watch nor is it all I enjoy.

Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings there. I apologize.

A very unsympathetic main character, as a character trait and general audience response to him, excessive 80's gore stretched over two movies/OVAs, a crapsack world that the main character intentionally made worse (for lulz I think), and some cool looking armor that probably looked better in the cover art than in the actual movie as the whole thing's saving grace was all I remembered from M.D. Geist.

If there was a moral to it, it would be Geist is an a-hole with sex and violence.

Edited by Einherjar

oh, hai thar!

old-school awesome...

DSC_5417_NEF.jpg

:hail:B)):D:wub:

Ooh, that's nice. I've got the old Central Park DVD's but now I might have to double dip. The original Patlabor OVA directed by Mamoru Oshii in BD quality is can't miss for me.

These things should come with a sticker "Collecting anime is dangerous for your wallet"

This morning I finished Vandread. Nice twists in eps 10 and 11 of the second stage and the final battle was well done, but man did it get stupid at times. The epilogue was also rather lackluster. I also started watching two anime series: The first being Soul Eater, looks like typical Shonen Jump manga adaptions, but as long as it ends better than Kekkaishi I won't mind even if the fan service in the first episode was ridiculous. I also started watching Excel Saga and if the first episode is any indication this will be a very painful experience. So that basically means I started watching five series and will be watching them all at once not counting stuff that is airing and SD Gundam Force (the other three series being the original Inazuman, Space Sheriff Gavan, and Kaiketsu Zubat, hooray for tokusatsu!). I never took on five shows at once and since I have nothing better to do with my existence as an exile of MAHQ I figured I might as well.

This morning I finished Vandread. Nice twists in eps 10 and 11 of the second stage and the final battle was well done, but man did it get stupid at times. The epilogue was also rather lackluster. I also started watching two anime series: The first being Soul Eater, looks like typical Shonen Jump manga adaptions, but as long as it ends better than Kekkaishi I won't mind even if the fan service in the first episode was ridiculous. I also started watching Excel Saga and if the first episode is any indication this will be a very painful experience. So that basically means I started watching five series and will be watching them all at once not counting stuff that is airing and SD Gundam Force (the other three series being the original Inazuman, Space Sheriff Gavan, and Kaiketsu Zubat, hooray for tokusatsu!). I never took on five shows at once and since I have nothing better to do with my existence as an exile of MAHQ I figured I might as well.

Soul Eater is really entertaining, especially watching Death the Kid's obsessive compulsive disorder with symmetry.

A couple nights ago I watched the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie since I made it half way through at the time. Oh yeah, this was pretty bad, like X or Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse bad, I dare say even worse so. It is mostly nothing with a decent start that only goes down hill with a very disappointing ending, kind of like Tales From Earthsea. Why couldn't this just be three episodes of the ser- Oh yeah, CLAMP. Speaking of CCS, I just got up to episode 38 and.... Yeesh, what kind of main character is dumb enough to think STRAWBERRIES can walk around? Seriously, even Jun from Devilman Lady improved far sooner than that and they reduced her into bondage and yuri fanservice bait at a few points. This also makes me wonder how the hell do these Clow Cards cause all this trouble with nobody making it a secret and for some reason none of the civilians are suspicious? I could buy it in the series (minus when they had kaiju) since the setting is in suburbs, but the movie was in HONG KONG, ONE OF THE MOST DENSELY POPULATED SPOTS ON EARTH. How do the events NOT attract such attention- Gah, why do I care? At this point I'm thinking of just marathoning the series just to end it.

Also got up to ep 4 in Soul Eater and Excel Saga which can safely call has potential and really obnoxious, respectively. Why do people like the latter again?

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Like the guys above, I'm also ridiculously interested in Attack on Titan. I usually only stick to anime, but the series is done so well that I can't hold myself back and have started to read the manga to keep going! Wow, been a while since I've been that into a series. Good stuff :)

Like the guys above, I'm also ridiculously interested in Attack on Titan. I usually only stick to anime, but the series is done so well that I can't hold myself back and have started to read the manga to keep going! Wow, been a while since I've been that into a series. Good stuff :)

I actually bought the first volume of the manga too and read it yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised at how they are not rushing the adaptation and actually enriching the content in the manga. On the other hand, I would not be surprised if this turns out to be a multiseason series. Still going to try to see the series chapters first before actually reading the manga chapter. Don't want to spoil the first watch!

good luck trying to not to be spoiled. i miserably failed the marshmallow test on this one.

the anime didn't necessarily create new material to enrich the story. most of the stuff in the current anime episodes that are not in the first volume of manga are actually covered in later volumes. i think they did well to reorder some of the manga chapters for the anime adaptation. makes the story flow better, and as you say, enriched.

the manga is right now at a sort of interlude. so it's not as excruciating to wait for next month's installment. but i suspect this interlude will be brief and things will start to get crazy again.

how can a show featuring chibi penguins, doing cutesy (and often hilarious) stuff, have really messed up characters alongside; turn out to be an intense psych thriller drama; be loaded with symbolism and metaphor; offer serious contemplation on society, the nature of family, abandonment of children, sin, punishment, sacrifice, redemption, fate and destiny?

having just finished Mawaru Penguindrum, i'm still trying to figure out how it managed to deliver all that and more. the feeling is similar to reading one of Haruki Murakami's novels, where the surreal (or reality, depending one's perspective) is just skin deep, and one is left awash with myriad thoughts tangled with emotions in often surprising and unexpected ways. i know that's still quite vague, but it's really hard to describe.

beautifully animated with art style is similar to Bakemonogatari and the musical score is reminiscent of Gattaca. it's hard to recommend though, as it'll likely frustrate many due to it's dense and often obtuse way of storytelling. if you're up for it, then you might appreciate one of the most thought provoking anime in recent memory.

i've only started surfing for Penguindrum discussions and indeed Utena frequently pops up.

i will certainly put Utena on my watch queue, but not immediately. if indeed both are similar, i'm afraid watching them within a short time span will make my head explode

I watched Wings of Honneamise and.... Wow, this was one reeeeeeeally boring anime movie. It was like it was trying to be a mix of October Sky and Hunt For Red October while condensing any of the good parts and drawing it out for no good reason. The only good parts were the philosophy, the art style, the chase scene, and the ending. I also just got up to ep 40 in Cardcaptor Sakura. You know what? I'm sick of this girly junk series, time to marathon as of tomorrow! Holding everything else I'm watching (save SD Gundam Force reviews) until I royally smash CLAMP's beloved masterpiece with an icicle!.... No, wait, Zeorymer did that first. Still, I am taking i out, wiping it out, and I start at dawn.

BurtGummer.jpg

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Yesterday I did a quick CCS marathon up to ep 50. Owe my head. On one hand the music has grown on me and I will admit eps 44, 45, and 46 were well done. On the other hand, man this series should have ended with that, at this point they're acting like paranormal agents or something.

I'm at animeboston, and wen to a panel on an analysis of Strike Witches. I always knew there were little things in it based on history, but this went to a whole different level. It even went as far to explain why none of the girls wear pants! Well aside from fanservice reasons.

Do we really need a reason for girl to not wear pants besides panty shots? I don't think so.

Do we really need a reason for girl to not wear pants besides panty shots? I don't think so.

Not really, but because the series creator is a military history nut its funny to know its all because of a pun. The 501st joint striker wing was created in the series history during 1937 in Spain, and is based on the real life international brigades that fought for the republican forces. The republican battlecry was "No Pasaran!" Hence in Strike Witches "No pants are on!".

Another interesting joke is Sanya the Russian. In WWII women pilots in the Soviet airforce were nicknamed "night witches", and it just so happens Sanya is the only night fighter in the unit.

Then there's how every major neuroi in the show is based on some type of German, Russian, or American prototype jet or rocket. The original season 1 Neuroi even represent facist Italy and their replacement in season two by an even bigger and worse neuroi cloud is based on Italy's capitulation and the Germans taking over the Italian front.

Just watched Oreimo 2 ep 7 and.......OOOMMMMMFFFFFGGGG!!!! If this relationship doesn't work out, I'll cry rivers of manly tears. I'm soo close to signing up for a Cruncyroll membersihp to watch the next ep, it's not even funny. If they start simulcasting Monogatari Stories, I don't think I'll be able to resist.

Edited by Keith

Just watched Oreimo 2 ep 7 and.......OOOMMMMMFFFFFGGGG!!!! If this relationship doesn't work out, I'll cry rivers of manly tears. I'm soo close to signing up for a Cruncyroll membersihp to watch the next ep, it's not even funny. If they start simulcasting Monogatari Stories, I don't think I'll be able to resist.

Definitely worth the money IMHO. You get at least 12-15 series a season depending on which part of the world you're in (obviously not Japan!) and they actually try to get the best/most popular stuff. Just this season they have Gargantia, Attack on Titan, Flowers of Evil as well as Oreimo and some others.

Speaking of Crunchyroll series, Attack on Titan had quite an interesting moment there towards the end, huh?